Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
I‘m like 99% sure that’s exactly what happens, the rings get synched to the iPhone and if you switch watches, it should just continue. It probably won’t switch over active workouts but it should absolutely keep rings in synch, maybe watch out for hiccups at first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Here's hoping. Now just to find someone who -- for one reason or another -- is selling just the Watch by itself.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

LODGE NORTH posted:

I can’t seem to find a specific pointed answer but maybe it’s because the answer I’m looking for is implied in what everything is saying.

I’m looking to pair two Apple Watches to a single account. I have an Apple Watch that I guard with my life and then I’d like to buy a used SE somewhere and only use it for Fitness+ workouts. However, I’d ideally also be able to have it all be updated all the same. As in, if I work out with the SE on and do whatever for an hour, then go to work with Watch 1 on, it shows that same info as if it’s the same watch, working towards the same ring.

Apple added the ability to sync multiple Watches to a single iPhone in 9.3. Is this the functionality I’m looking for that would obviously cover the above scenario?

Fwiw Apple care + is 3.99 (2.99?) a month. I get what you are trying to do but I workout every day with my watch and don’t baby it in anyway and I’ve never broken one. I’ve had a watch since launch as well.

Like they are pretty durable.

TBH I don’t even know anyone who has broken one except one goon who smashed his on a rock while climbing.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

TBH I don’t even know anyone who has broken one except one goon who smashed his on a rock while climbing.
Sup :v:

I just keep my old one in a (tacky rear end looking) case for climbing but otherwise yeah I don’t give a drat about my newer one. I have a few nicks on it…I think from climbing with it when I forgot my other watch, but fine otherwise. Just plan to swap it before my AC runs out.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

MarcusSA posted:

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

LODGE NORTH posted:

I can’t seem to find a specific pointed answer but maybe it’s because the answer I’m looking for is implied in what everything is saying.

I’m looking to pair two Apple Watches to a single account. I have an Apple Watch that I guard with my life and then I’d like to buy a used SE somewhere and only use it for Fitness+ workouts. However, I’d ideally also be able to have it all be updated all the same. As in, if I work out with the SE on and do whatever for an hour, then go to work with Watch 1 on, it shows that same info as if it’s the same watch, working towards the same ring.

Apple added the ability to sync multiple Watches to a single iPhone in 9.3. Is this the functionality I’m looking for that would obviously cover the above scenario?

Fairly sure you can have 3 if you want.. or more? Would not shock me if Apple has made it possible to spend even more than that…

There is an option to automatically switch to whatever is unlocked on your wrist or swap manually. ; 2-to-one-Phone is definitely supported and I’m currently wearing an old/worthless watch while my “sleeping-daily driver” is Charging.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok so there were two of you! lol

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I broke a Gen 0 by being drunk and poo poo and slamming my arm into a metal door frame :negative: the screen had a nice big crack in the top right corner but still worked until I replaced it.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

I sold my old watch to a buddy and he dropped it on some tiles so technically he broke mine :v: it’s still functional though.

(On the plus side I get to sell him my current watch once fall comes around lol)

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon

MarcusSA posted:

Ok so there were two of you! lol

Three of us! I guess it's the only way to break one. I've got an ugly plastic case I throw on while climbing now and that seems to do the trick.

And speaking of Sup :v:, would be great if Apple added SUP as an activity.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah unless you have a job or hobby where there is real danger of smashing against something heavy or scraping against something sharp, your watch will be fine, probably. I haven't really taken any special care of my S3 these last few years and it has no noticeable scratches.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I got a crack on my S3 from slamming it on something at work by mistake. It wasn’t a major thing, the main part of the screen was alright, it was just a crack in the corner.

I ended up breaking the entire screen eventually because I got home and threw my watch on the bed after taking it off. Saw that sucker just bounce on the bed and down to the tile floor. Face down of course :doh:

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I got my watch last year and put a liquid screen protector on it (Liquipel). It has been awesome but it has apparently worn off. I have noticed some small scratches (only noticeable at certain angles). I am good right now but if I wanted to get those gone, is there a scratch filler that the thread has used?

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

There is some work stuff going on that is going to finally force me to purchase an Apple Watch. I'm not in any hurry so I can wait until the next one comes out. When that happens do they normally keep older models in stock at reduced prices? If so, has it historically been a big discount or should I just get whatever comes next? I know its guesswork, I am just interested in how it has gone for previous upgrades. The only thing I plan on using it for is to discreetly select music/podcasts to listen to and maybe some texts to my wife.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

loudog999 posted:

There is some work stuff going on that is going to finally force me to purchase an Apple Watch. I'm not in any hurry so I can wait until the next one comes out. When that happens do they normally keep older models in stock at reduced prices? If so, has it historically been a big discount or should I just get whatever comes next? I know its guesswork, I am just interested in how it has gone for previous upgrades. The only thing I plan on using it for is to discreetly select music/podcasts to listen to and maybe some texts to my wife.
They've kept some, they've killed off some, guessing it just kinda depends on pricing and differentiation. They added in the SE last time I think, which was like a lower cost 4/5 iirc. Hopefully they kill off the S3 (cause the storage has been an issue for a while) and the SE drops down, maybe the 6 sticks around in that case to replace the SE's place in the middle.

There's rumors about a redesign if that matters, plus presumably whatever new sensors/features/etc. S6 would be totally fine, SE is fine if you want to save more money and don't mind losing the extra features (mainly the always on screen). And if stuff gets dropped, they'll still be available from retailers besides Apple.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
New US band/face from the international collection has strong "New England yacht club founding member" energy.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

loudog999 posted:

It very much depends, but their more common practice is to get rid of the most recent and keep one a few generations old. Like currently they sell the S3, SE, and S6 (current).I suspect with the SE existing, they will dump the S3 while possibly keeping the S6. I have a hard time believing they will continue to sell the S3, but hard to say.

If nothing else, third-party retailers (Best Buy, Target, etc.) will likely start having sales on the S6 shortly before the S7 launches.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

doingitwrong posted:

New US band/face from the international collection has strong "New England yacht club founding member" energy.

Well Ralph Lauren designs the opening/closing outfits.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I don't love America that much and I live here.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Thanks for the information. Last question, what about the sizes. My wife has a 40 mm one, not sure what series, and since she uses hers all the time I may just get her the newest one and take the one she has. Any issue with that size? Is it too small for fat fingers and a fatter wrist? (I promise I’m not morbidly huge or anything, just bigger than my tiny wife.)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The bands on the smaller watches are shorter, so if you use a loop you may have to stretch it a little bit around your hand.

But I switched from bigwatch to smallwatch with the S4 and really like it. The screen is perfectly legible and doesn't care how big my fingers are. The 44mm is just too much of a brick on my wrist.

Just note that with the S4 they shrank the bezel so you get more pixels with the same form factor of the S3. I didn't like the small S3 at all.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

xzzy posted:

The bands on the smaller watches are shorter, so if you use a loop you may have to stretch it a little bit around your hand.

But I switched from bigwatch to smallwatch with the S4 and really like it. The screen is perfectly legible and doesn't care how big my fingers are. The 44mm is just too much of a brick on my wrist.

Just note that with the S4 they shrank the bezel so you get more pixels with the same form factor of the S3. I didn't like the small S3 at all.

Perfect, I checked and she has a S4, so that’s what I’ll do. Thanks again for all the help.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

doingitwrong posted:

Thanks for bringing this to my attention! They can get it here by July 1 so I pulled the trigger. :911:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

doingitwrong posted:

Definitely something an NFL team owner would wear while soliciting a massage therapist in Florida for a handjob.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

doingitwrong posted:

I like some of the other country bands quite a lot and I'm not afraid to say I'm probably going to get the :canada: one. :shobon:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Snuffman posted:

I like some of the other country bands quite a lot and I'm not afraid to say I'm probably going to get the :canada: one. :shobon:

I was looking at that, looks interchangeable with Poland 🇵🇱 though!

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

loudog999 posted:

Thanks for the information. Last question, what about the sizes. My wife has a 40 mm one, not sure what series, and since she uses hers all the time I may just get her the newest one and take the one she has. Any issue with that size? Is it too small for fat fingers and a fatter wrist? (I promise I’m not morbidly huge or anything, just bigger than my tiny wife.)
Just try it on and see how you like it. I didn't like the look of the thinner width of some of the smaller bands last I tried the smaller watch, but that's just personal taste there.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

The German watch face seems a little unfortunate

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Zwille posted:

The German watch face seems a little unfortunate

Oh god I see it, took a mo

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Stupid question but is there any way to stop the screen from locking itself when I'm using the stopwatch. I started doing weights again and I used to just use the stopwatch on my gshock to time between sets. The apple watch seems lock the screen as soon as Iook away from it.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

track day bro! posted:

Stupid question but is there any way to stop the screen from locking itself when I'm using the stopwatch. I started doing weights again and I used to just use the stopwatch on my gshock to time between sets. The apple watch seems lock the screen as soon as Iook away from it.

Are you using an app to track your lifts? Strong is a really good one and you can customize rest periods between sets and it'll give you a ding when it's time to go again.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Are you using an app to track your lifts? Strong is a really good one and you can customize rest periods between sets and it'll give you a ding when it's time to go again.

It’s a really good app and definitely my most used app on the watch, but it’s extremely buggy/temperamental. Every workout I have several issues with timer on the watch syncing with the phone, the timer starting and then immediately zeroing out, etc. Been a problem for a while too.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Nope, I never really thought of that.

To be fair I bought the watch because I was doing a lot more walking and cycling while all the gyms were closed. I just used the built in workout thingies, I'm suprised they havent done a built in thing for weights.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The default app weight tracker is hilarious bullshit. It'll happily credit you for exercise forever if you forget to turn it off. It also seems to use a fairly generous calories used estimate.

Heck yeah I did 100x12 deadlifts today, I am loving RIPPED.

So yeah if you really want to track weight lifting with the watch, you're gonna have to find an app.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I didn't even know there was a built in one lol

It's funny because the cardio stuff seems to register way lower than what the actual machine registers. Heart rate seems to be identical though

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

That's interesting, I found the watch matches what gym machines say pretty closely when it comes to cardio stuff.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

If you’re looking at “active calories”, the watch is subtracting the calories you would have burned just sitting and breathing air. The machine probably isnt.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Glimpse posted:

If you’re looking at “active calories”, the watch is subtracting the calories you would have burned just sitting and breathing air. The machine probably isnt.

thats bullshit, yer telling me i need to use energy to exercise????

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

No the bullshit is Apple not pumping your tires by including the calories needed for survival in your workout metrics. I want big numbers!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

illcendiary posted:

It’s a really good app and definitely my most used app on the watch, but it’s extremely buggy/temperamental. Every workout I have several issues with timer on the watch syncing with the phone, the timer starting and then immediately zeroing out, etc. Been a problem for a while too.

Yep agreed! Great app but their Apple Watch part is buggy and they never seem to fix it. Updating/fixing it is on their roadmap but has been for like over 12 months.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a nice bedside stand that can charge my watch (using the charger that comes with it is fine) and also my xr wirelessly? There was a nice Belkin one that seemed to do this but it looks like they stopped making it?