Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Terrible Opinions posted:

You are in fact reading off things that are at best tvtropes level aesthetics. Like saying that Harry Potter discussion should cite the Hobbit because they both have wizards using a wood rod to do magic and a dumb troll is the mid roll antagonist.
That's not analogous at all, But you should go ahead and tell me what's the difference, Since you're so sure.

And we're talking about again someone who's supposed to know what they're talking about, They don't get this leeway to roll around in their own poo poo and then shrug when called out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

SIZE=XX-LARGE]PLEASE! PLEASE STOP SAYING THE R WORD. GOD, IF SOMEBODY SAID THE R WORD, I WILL HECKIN LOSE IT. JUST PEE PEE MY JORTS. CAN'T YOU JUST CALL THEM A SMOOTHE BRAINED DOTARD LIKE THE REST OF US NORMAL PEOPLE? DERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

P.S. FREE LARRY YOU FUCKIN COWARDS.

bushisms.txt posted:

So there's nothing in common between two child-like beings breaking free of imprisonment that float around on puffy white things holding staffs, meeting people from different cultures who join their cause to stop someone trying to become a god themselves?

"Surface level" is doing a lot of work. It's crazy people pointed out someone with a platform can't tell the difference in media and how reveling in her ignorance continues to push other creators out due to continued misconceptions she amplifies.

I think youre way too online dude, Lindsay is barely influencing pushing in and out of creators because of a media comparison.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

ButterSkeleton posted:

I think youre way too online dude, Lindsay is barely influencing pushing in and out of creators because of a media comparison.

The irony is not lost on me that I would have to explain how as a society we synthesize cultures through the media we see and consume in an online creators thread. Folks would rather shrug atcasual racism and let her use her platform privilege to not apologize for a "mistake".

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jun 29, 2021

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

bushisms.txt posted:

So there's nothing in common between two child-like beings breaking free of imprisonment that float around on puffy white things holding staffs, meeting people from different cultures who join their cause to stop someone trying to become a god themselves?

"Surface level" is doing a lot of work. It's crazy people pointed out someone with a platform can't tell the difference in media and how reveling in her ignorance continues to push other creators out due to continued misconceptions she amplifies.

How is Raya more like Journey to the West than The Last Airbender, when the major points of comparison between TLA and Journey to the West is the similarities in Aang and Sun Wukong that are not features of Raya? And how is Linday making a shallow take comparing Raya to TLA pushing other creators out? And out of where?

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
As usual, I am happy not knowing what the gently caress is happening right now, but here's a new Mandalore video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY0NtZxqtio

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Nuns with Guns posted:

How is Raya more like Journey to the West than The Last Airbender, when the major points of comparison between TLA and Journey to the West is the similarities in Aang and Sun Wukong that are not features of Raya? And how is Linday making a shallow take comparing Raya to TLA pushing other creators out? And out of where?
The original complaint against Lindsay was from an Asian writer who was pointing out how she has a hard time getting work because people synthesize everything into being avatar like. The fact that she never actually brought that subject up or maybe you just missed it tells me this is all coming from a dishonest/uninformed view.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

bushisms.txt posted:

The original complaint against Lindsay was from an Asian writer who was pointing out how she has a hard time getting work because people synthesize everything into being avatar like.

lmfao oh yeah, uh thats why. its avatars fault for sure

fun hater
May 24, 2009

the degree of power youre assigning a single online person is embarrassing. get a grip. the world is packed to the brim with stupid people you hate. minimize their influence over your life instead of trying to dragon slay someone whose powers are limited to "mean tweet" and "dumb video". if people believe her theyre dumb too. just find non-dumb people to talk to instead of whatever outcome youre hoping for here. i cant even imagine what you want from a group of grown adults who are openly tired of relitigating some random person's fuckup so you can get dopamine.

fun hater fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jun 29, 2021

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

bushisms.txt posted:

The original complaint against Lindsay was from an Asian writer who was pointing out how she has a hard time getting work because people synthesize everything into being avatar like. The fact that she never actually brought that subject up or maybe you just missed it tells me this is all coming from a dishonest/uninformed view.

gently caress off and eat poo poo. Your entire argument is centered around how Raya owes more to Journey to the West than The Last Airbender. Me asking you where this is coming from because I personally don't see it isn't coming from a dishonest or uninformed view. I want to know where the linkage is here that I'm not seeing.

With the tweet replies specifically, I'm certain I did read the original replies when they were posted back in March, but that's three months ago at this point, and I can't find them to re-read the details because every google attempt is just flooded with idiotic "Lindsay Ellis CANCELLED!!!" puff pieces. If you're asking me to confirm whether or not the first tweet Lindsay made comparing the two comes off like a dumb microaggression, then yes it does. She can and has re-clarified it, but it's still dumb and I don't agree with her assessment.

If you want to know where she brings this poo poo up, it's in that long dang video here at around 1 hour and 11 stupid minutes in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7aWz8q_IM4&t=4273s

I guess she doesn't specifically cite that she'd reference Journey to the West, but she says if she were doing a deep dive, she'd acknowledge where TLA pulls from Asian folklore. She also acknowledges how stupid the "squint" phrasing is and talks about privilege and white supremacy, but it's at the start and there's not a handy bookmark for me to find it at. I don't know what else you're looking for? I don't know if she's directly admitted and claimed fault for "pushing SE Asian Authors out out of the publishing industry" since I guess that's where you're going? I don't know if I've ever seen anyone claim fault for systemic cruelty they feed into in small ways like that, beyond broad acknowledgement that it exists and to try to avoid being thoughtless about it.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Must suck being forced to carry water for a self admitted rear end in a top hat who couldn't even apologize because they "know" it won't be accepted by the people who just want poo poo to stop.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

bushisms.txt posted:

I think it turned out that person was actually advertising their self-published books as being like Avatar.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I think it turned out that person was actually advertising their self-published books as being like Avatar.

You should link this, and it still doesn't make them wrong so...

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I too draw ire when I say something is more like star wars rather than the original Hidden Fortress / Wizard of Oz inspirations.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

bushisms.txt posted:

Must suck being forced to carry water for a self admitted rear end in a top hat who couldn't even apologize because they "know" it won't be accepted by the people who just want poo poo to stop.

my friend i dont even know how to explain to you how off base you are. ellis is a huge dipshit bc she watches cartoons and childrens media and thats her only frame of reference for anything. shes shallow and devoid of insight outside of the most surface readings. im just not enough of a weiner to let a person like this haunt my brain lol

i know its easy to dismiss ppl who think youre dumb as lackeys of your enemies but could you grow up

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

I too draw ire when I say something is more like star wars rather than the original Hidden Fortress / Wizard of Oz inspirations.
Folks in this thread aren't defending a nobody, LE is an authority of YA media whether they think of themselves as one(they do) or not. She's literally clucking pearls on the BBC and y'all acting like her words have no weight.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

also no one gets to tell me poo poo about "being cancelled" until theyve been single handedly accused of attempting to murder a video game devs baby via posting

e: lmfao ^^^

fun hater fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jun 29, 2021

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I wonder if Digital Human ever did an episode on people caring way too much about dumb poo poo

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bushisms.txt posted:

LE is an authority of ya media

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

One of the most subbed female creators on the internet is a nobody, good to know. I like how now she's nobody when she's called out. even though she has a big platform and is sited for a manner of things.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jun 29, 2021

fun hater
May 24, 2009

bushisms.txt posted:

One of the most subbed female creators on the internet is a nobody, good to know.

yes youre finally understanding

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

i'm an authority on shitposts

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

fun hater posted:

also no one gets to tell me poo poo about "being cancelled" until theyve been single handedly accused of attempting to murder a video game devs baby via posting

e: lmfao ^^^

How does it feel to be "the whole Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus company", which has been defunct since 2017?

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Also Angry Joe apparently got a preview screening of Black Widow, a movie that's been pushed back by Disney due to the whole COVID thing that you might have heard about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xURS0pPkGds

Personally this, like the Ant Man movies and the coming Eternals, are an easy skip for me cause I have absolutely zero interest in the character. I'll just watch a spoiler review and/or check the wiki for the mid/post credits sequence and move on.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bushisms.txt posted:

One of the most subbed female creators on the internet is a nobody, good to know.

Yes.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Then what's she complaining about!!!

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Nuns with Guns posted:

How does it feel to be "the whole Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus company", which has been defunct since 2017?

i think this thread is the only place i didnt post the thumbnail from my epic youtube debut as "the villain" of the five night at freddy's man getting canceled

thats me in the bg

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
that's me in the spot light, teens up in my mentions

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

fun hater posted:

i think this thread is the only place i didnt post the thumbnail from my epic youtube debut as "the villain" of the five night at freddy's man getting canceled

thats me in the bg

Nice Hausu face

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Nuns with Guns posted:

Nice Hausu face

thanks, very impressive you recognized it since it isn't one of the 5 asian media properties westerners know apparently.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

every time people start insisting online review weirdos have an enormous sway over the hearts and minds of people i just remember the kurt vonnegut vietnam quote

quote:

“During the Vietnam War, every respectable artist in this country was against the war. It was like a laser beam. We were all aimed in the same direction. The power of this weapon turns out to be that of a custard pie dropped from a stepladder six feet high.”

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

fun hater posted:

every time people start insisting online review weirdos have an enormous sway over the hearts and minds of people i just remember the kurt vonnegut vietnam quote

Yeah he sure did live in the time of the internet. Who was America's president the last four years? And it's not like people are increasingly getting their news and information from social media instead of actual sources due to compartmental bias. Y'all can't take away her platform just because you want to minimize the harm. Breadtubers are all about being the new cultural authority.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jun 29, 2021

Sea_Caldwell
Feb 5, 2021

bushisms.txt posted:

Is that better or worse than carrying water for a massive corporation?

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

McConnell posted:

Is that better or worse than carrying water for a massive corporation?

Corporations are people so it's 50/50

fun hater
May 24, 2009

bushisms.txt posted:

Yeah he sure did live in the time of the internet. And it's not like people are increasingly getting their news and information from social media instead of actual sources due to compartmental bias. Y'all can't take away her platform just because you want to minimize the harm. Breadtubers are all about being the new cultural authority.

he died in 2007. are you okay

e: i mean, regardless of that. you thought the point of that quote was the effectiveness of media's ability to spread?

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

fun hater posted:

he died in 2007. are you okay

e: i mean, regardless of that. you thought the point of that quote was the effectiveness of media's ability to spread?

Go look on Fox News, They have nothing but celebrities now. I'm sure he was upset "philosophers" weren't being listened to. But that kind of omits populism.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

bushisms.txt posted:

Yeah he sure did live in the time of the internet. Who was America's president the last four years? And it's not like people are increasingly getting their news and information from social media instead of actual sources due to compartmental bias. Y'all can't take away her platform just because you want to minimize the harm. Breadtubers are all about being the new cultural authority.

Are you going to stop

fun hater
May 24, 2009

media's effect on the reality we live in is so negligible that people are deluding themselves into thinking their entertainment choices are ballot boxes or 1:1 reflections of the person watching it.

bushisms.txt posted:

Go look on Fox News, They have nothing but celebrities now. I'm sure he was upset "philosophers" weren't being listened to. But that kind of omits populism.

do you......know who kurt vonnegut is. do you think he was a philosopher. do you think that's actually what he thought. i do not understand how it is not obvious that the point is that media creators are literally just entertainers and their powers are limited to entertianing.

much like on fox news, your example. do you really think that the point of getting celebrities on is to sway peoples minds or just pander to the audience for entertianment.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

so just so we're clear. you know what avatar and the latest disney movie is but you dont know kurt vonnegut.

e: i mean, sorry i made you look like an rear end in a top hat man, but what the gently caress. go read slaughterhouse 5....or go watch a youtube video abt it lol

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

more like kurt vonnebad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes
I vonne gut Star Wars discussion.