Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Antimemetics are one of those things I find hard to follow a lot. Still easier than the ones written by phd physics people though.

The author is good though, I particularly liked this wikipedia article from the future they wrote

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

SCP certainly gained a few more readers after the release of the game Control.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I find antiemetics pretty easy to swallow tbh

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I love SCP.
Have written a few stories that I think would be good SCP topics, but never submitted them.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It'll be the latter and it'll be Declan Rice, I just have a feeling in my bones.

Happy to be wrong, not happy that Declan looked like he was carrying an injury, I still remember what England did to Dean Ashton.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Tsietisin posted:

SCP certainly gained a few more readers after the release of the game Control.

Yeah the game is essentially SCP just with a AAA budget and Alan Wake Tie in.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Barry Foster posted:

I find antisemitism pretty easy to swallow tbh

Typical lefty.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

happyhippy posted:

I love SCP.
Have written a few stories that I think would be good SCP topics, but never submitted them.

You are a fool to admit this, because I will now insist you post them here, and will hound you until you do or all earthly things come to an end

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Typical lefty.

You got me. Just this morning I had antisemitism on toast

Yes, Norma, on leavened bread, I'll have you know thank you very much

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Worlds End is the worst of the three, but that's because despite it's bodysnatchers premise, it's the most down to earth and realistically tragic of them all, in a way that isn't as funny as in Shaun of the Dead. So it's not as good a comedy.
Also Shawn's premise is "normal people in a cliche zombie movie," and Fuzz's premise is "cliche'd cop movie set in a normal british village.*" Both of these are kind of poking fun at the contrast between normal and movie hyper-reality, the humour arising more from the setting and tone.

World's End had the problem that the cliche part and the normal part are neither universal nor clearly enough linked, and so it targets the characters instead, and it doesn't do it in a fun way like Fuzz or Shawn did.

It goes hard right off the bat portraying Gary as a loser stuck in the past and only goes on from there. Whereas Shawn showed him resolve his problems and end the movie happy, Gary is kind of... completely unresolved. He gets what he wants and not in an ironic way the film seems to be building to. Andy returns to alcoholism and it's portrayed as a good thing.

I feel like the film would have landed better if it'd started off with him cool and the reveal at the cricket club is that he's unemployed and living with his mum, instead of him starting that way and then trying to win sympathy later by revealling that he tried to kill himself.

By that point I feel like they've completely mixed up if the point is that the gang should stay together (with Gary's reveal implied to be the consequence of his friends leaving), or grow up and split off (the criticism of Gary). And whereas Shawn ends with that nerd/grownup tension resolved by reaching a balance between the two, World's End just doesn't ever resolve it.

I feel like it's painfully close to the demographic most likely to be watching - people who were lads in the 90s and I really don't think a lot of them liked being targetted like that. I don't mean that to say the audience was oversensitive, I think it's just a natural thing about the way the comedy is framed.

Shawn and Fuzz had the feeling of being in on the joke, whereas the framing in World's End made it feel like the various aspects that the audience is most likely to see themselves in are the butt of the joke. Also suicide attempts really muddy the water of 'am I supposed to find this bit funny.'

*No such thing

Tincans
Dec 15, 2007

https://twitter.com/DaftLimmy/status/1409934256294567936

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Have we lost yet?

e: Yay, I jinxed the loss. Congrats! :toot:

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jun 29, 2021

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I've been making a list of all posters who did sufficiently Get behind our team today and you're all off to re-education camps.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Knowing about Simon Pegg's alcoholism and recovery it's hard to read The World's End as anything except a very personal and pretty uncomfortable work of self-therapy and self-criticism. I remember him saying in an interview how unsure he was about all the work he'd put out to date, wondering if just relentlessly indulging his own inner manchild and the inner manchildren of his audience was the right thing to do or if his whole project had simply been an exercise in arrested development. It feels like a direct repudiation of the preceding films.

I think it's universally agreed it doesn't really make for a very fun or funny film, but I have to give him credit for his honesty and for trying.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

serious gaylord posted:

I've been making a list of all posters who did sufficiently Get behind our team today and you're all off to re-education camps.

Arrested and thrown in jail? For not saying that you're English.

Tory Britain in a nutshell.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

therattle posted:

I'd be extremely surprised if his agent wasn't sent the script, series bible, character outlines etc before he committed. (I work in film and to a lesser degree TV, so I know a bit about this). It is also very unlikely that someone signed on without knowing what the role was for any actor playing any kind of major or significant supporting role in a TV show, regardless of their experience.
Do you think he would have been told that a transphobic episode in the third season (before transphobia was on the national agenda) would later result in the marital and mental decline of the writer to the point that a public apology would be demanded, because if that was in the show bible and he still accepted then fair enough.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Barry Foster posted:

You got me. Just this morning I had antisemitism on toast

Yes, Norma, on leavened bread, I'll have you know thank you very much

I still think that black pudding sounds basically like something that would be invented by a guy on twitter specifically trying to annoy muslims and jews.

"I actually like to eat the blood, I save it all up and then mix with with cereal and then fry it in a sausage, what are you going to do about that liberals???"

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

The best SCPs are usually the ones that are just plain weird, like the Infinite IKEA Dimension or the Bridge that makes you loving hate Carthage. (Which is the best overall SCP)

The best creepy ones imo are the Red Sea Object and the Daeva book.

The best other ones are the alien intelligence who ended up making a Tumblr, becoming a Homestuck, and coming out as trans, and the one that generates Siskel & Ebert reviews of whatever you put in the DVD player (even if it's like, Mass Effect).

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

OwlFancier posted:

I still think that black pudding sounds basically like something that would be invented by a guy on twitter specifically trying to annoy muslims and jews.

"I actually like to eat the blood, I save it all up and then mix with with cereal and then fry it in a sausage, what are you going to do about that liberals???"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ms Adequate posted:

The best creepy ones imo are the Red Sea Object and the Daeva book.

Did you read the recent 6000 competition entry where it turns out the book is actually all made up by some 18th century brit "historian" who basically made it all up and then cast a spell to make it real and the actual daevite successor state is just kazakhstan

https://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/6000contestaisstorm

It's pretty great.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm glad that the chuds didn't try to appropriate black pudding, they don't deserve it.

Ms Adequate posted:

the Bridge that makes you loving hate Carthage.
Radès-La Goulette on a summer afternoon without air conditioning.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Go to the mail website (dont) and you have to scroll down for a few seconds to get past how the royals just won us a football match.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Black pudding is nice. :shrug:

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

stev posted:

:wrong:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

learnincurve posted:

tory propaganda for children.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk18bFIgOS4

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

stev posted:

shop bought black pudding is pretty cardboard-like and not particularly appetizing but real proper Stornoway black pudding is on a different level

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

It's always worth checking out local independent butchers and trying their black pudding offerings.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

A bit shook up that now I need to check all the children's cartoons to see if people i hold in any regard whatsoever are actually smuggling out their milkshake evil under the radar.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

sebzilla posted:

Greatest Of All Time

Thats such A limited hang out film. Haha, the CIA spent millions of dollars having men try to kill goats with mind bullets, how kookie!

Ignore the mental patients they dosed with LSD for months at a time and the people they tortured to try and mind control them.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

You are a fool to admit this, because I will now insist you post them here, and will hound you until you do or all earthly things come to an end

gently caress no, not until they are 'done' at least.
I keep adding and changing parts, not happy with them.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Gonzo McFee posted:

Thats such A limited hang out film. Haha, the CIA spent millions of dollars having men try to kill goats with mind bullets, how kookie!

Ignore the mental patients they dosed with LSD for months at a time and the people they tortured to try and mind control them.

The book it's based on does actually go a bit more into MKULTRA and spends a lot of time drawing a connection and parallel between the First Earth Battalion, later US Army psyops, and particularly the torture methods used at black sites.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Did England take the knee before the match? If so are there any implosions on right twitter?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

I think the film you're proposing would be considerably more limited as a hang out film. If that's what a hang out film is.

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The book it's based on does actually go a bit more into MKULTRA and spends a lot of time drawing a connection and parallel between the First Earth Battalion, later US Army psyops, and particularly the torture methods used at black sites.

The book is awesome and one of the wackiest things I've ever read (I would love to know if the US DoD was actually that serious about investigating paranormal poo poo), I was very disappointed by the film.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

keep punching joe posted:

Stewart Lee (the liberal melt) does a good bit on that, i think it's a comedy vehicle episode. He's happy to do controversial/edgy material in a club because the audience in his head are all intellectual liberal Londoners who are in on the joke. Once it's on DVD or broadcast, any horrible prick can be laughing along. It risks falling into the Al Murray Pub Landlord trap where the bulk of the audience don't get that the performer is supposed to be satirising a typical English middle aged bigot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_JCBmY9NGM

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I think the film you're proposing would be considerably more limited as a hang out film. If that's what a hang out film is.

"Limited hang out" is a term the online left learned from the conspiracist scene who in turn (claim to have) learned it from US intelligence. The idea is that if people are getting too close to the truth (either through actual investigation or your own security cockups) you reveal sufficient amounts of the truth that people believe that they have found the whole of the truth, allowing you to protect the biggest secrets.

It is a term that, as far as I can tell, has not been accurately used on the internet this millennium. It's bad enough when they use it for things that are in fact smoke screens or disinformation - e.g. the US UFO file stuff which is much more about securing even more MIC money rather than hiding the Pleidian takeover of Earth - but when it's used for things that literally aren't even *pretending* to be the actual truth, like this film, or, say, The X Files, it renders the entire thing meaningless.

(FWIW the original book *may* be part of a limited hang out - one theory has the declassification of the MKULTRA stuff, always heavily hinted at in conspiracy circles, as a way of deflecting deeper investigation into rendition and the whole apparatus of torture (and in particular the extremely suspiciously quick way the CIA managed to stand it all up, almost as if they were already experience with such things))

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Lamont posted:

The book is awesome and one of the wackiest things I've ever read (I would love to know if the US DoD was actually that serious about investigating paranormal poo poo), I was very disappointed by the film.

The 70s were a very, very strange time, and the post-Vietnam US Armed Forces were willing to listen to any explanations as to how they lost in Vietnam and how they could avoid that kind of quagmire in the future (lol, but a sad lol).

They definitely *did* put money into investigating remote viewing and other ESP stuff, as did an awful lot of pretty serious institutions, and the psyops stuff had a big following among a certain type of officer who genuinely couldn't understand the appeal of Marxist revolution, and believed the commies had some special device or technique or *something* that made people love them instead of Mom, Apple Pie, and the profit margins of the United Fruit Company.

How seriously they *really* took it we can't tell - especially the much more hippy side of it - but I think Ronson makes a pretty convincing case that you see its echoes at Abu Ghraib, Bagram, and the dozens of other Undisclosed Locations.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I'm sure it's been mentioned but rewatching The World's End now it really feels like a film about Brexit.

I still have good memories of the film, since my wife and I watched it together on our Mini-moon post wedding.

Though I do recall at one stage the film was going to be called Dave of the Triffids which might have made for a better film.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

They definitely *did* put money into investigating remote viewing and other ESP stuff, as did an awful lot of pretty serious institutions, and the psyops stuff had a big following among a certain type of officer who genuinely couldn't understand the appeal of Marxist revolution, and believed the commies had some special device or technique or *something* that made people love them instead of Mom, Apple Pie, and the profit margins of the United Fruit Company.

There is also, funnily, an SCP about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I felt this piece in the New Statesman about Starmer by Simon Fletcher who recently stood down after working for Ed Miliband, Jezza, and Starmer, was subtly damning.

(You can read 4 articles a month for free).

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2021/06/keir-starmer-s-labour-desperately-needs-stand-something

quote:

Keir Starmer’s Labour desperately needs to stand for something
In his first piece since stepping down as an aide to Starmer, Simon Fletcher warns that Labour will not recover unless it offers a radical and distinctive economic alternative.

words

In the wake of the Hartlepool defeat, Starmer emphasised that the party had changed but that it had not changed enough, and vowed to use the summer to conduct a major listening exercise. Labour, from the shadow cabinet down, does need to spend concerted, dedicated time in the areas it needs to win at the next election. It needs to be organised in those communities and it does need to listen to them.

But Labour must avoid creating the impression that it has fallen into a pit of self-loathing. That will only aggravate existing Labour voters and it will repel potential ones. People do not like to associate with parties that send a negative message about themselves.

And what if the issue is in fact that what people want to hear is that Labour stands for something with conviction? During the Hartlepool by-election and other recent contests, voters’ uncertainty over what the party stands for was undoubtedly a factor – it is also an opportunity. If Labour is not to be left permanently stranded in opposition, it must now be bolder and leave people in no doubt about its intentions.