Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

faxmachine
Apr 1, 2007

Oh yeah....

Cythereal posted:

Funny how with the dil exchange completely crashed out in STO, I... have no reason or motivation to log into STO nightly anymore. I realized that my main motivation to play the game, besides the LP, was that I just like collecting ships and grinding out dilzen towards that end.

I have chosen to take this as an unexpected win.

Kinda pathetic what's happened to this game, but we've known this was coming for a while now. Remember when we joked about how turning in contraband multiple times a day was going to be called an exploit after they nerfed patrols, and they actually turned contra turn-ins into a once a day thing? The slogan for this game should "expect less, and get it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Most of the use for dilithium is spending it on upgrade techs to make gear gold. Since PWE hand out ultimate upgrade techs for free on occasion or bundle them with various easily available cash shop transactions, kind of makes dilithium grinding extremely optional for anyone willing to throw money at the problem while also bypassing the in-game market.

May suggest insufficient churn of new players or perhaps the mobile gaming market has pre-conditioned them to spend hard currency rather than grind & trade in game.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jun 29, 2021

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

A part of does wonder if they haven't done any new Fleet Holdings in a while because NoPPublicService screwed them by making it unnecessary for most fleets to bother with most of the levelling and destroyed that as a dil sink.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I kind of got the impression it was more that the colony was such a grind people turned to NOPPS because it just seemed impossible to do themselves.

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

this is a start I guess: https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11490183-vanity-shields-for-dilithium%21

280k dil for one of the listed vanity shields

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

I'd say that's a good start, at least.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I'd been wanting the Ba'ul shield so hey, I'll take it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If you haven't seen it, the Klingon version of the Discovery Vanity shield is pretty awesome looking on on some ships.

(If you like that kind of thing. It can be pretty ship dependent how good it looks :shrug:)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jun 29, 2021

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I have one plan for the ba'ul shield, but I think it's a great one

Now I just need to find a stash of pulse phasers.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I know they're sub-optimal but I just love the Kelvin Timeline Phasers. FAW turns the ship into a bullethell boss.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I prefer the pulse aesthetically, but they're pretty sweet as well. And also like 5 mil cheaper per array. It's a shame you can't hide the beams from the Terran, Prolonged, and Trilithium sets cause I'd much rather just fire one beam type but set bonuses....

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Now I feel kinda foolish for dropping 86,000,000 EC on the Ba'ul one.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
The Cryptic Magic MMO, Magic: Legends "missed the mark" and is shutting down on Halloween. Hope nobody enjoyed it too much.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

Wizard of the Deep posted:

The Cryptic Magic MMO, Magic: Legends "missed the mark" and is shutting down on Halloween. Hope nobody enjoyed it too much.
Unsurprising, but it is, in one way, kind of amazing that STO's gone on as long as it has when things like this happen.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

The Trek fanbase is nothing if not dedicated. Even with it's problems, and while small, STO has always had basically the same amount of people playing it forever.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

SplitSoul posted:

Now I feel kinda foolish for dropping 86,000,000 EC on the Ba'ul one.
Considering the ba'ul shields currently go for closer to 300m, I wouldn't feel bad about that price at all.

greasythepirate
Aug 13, 2016

Eimi posted:

The Trek fanbase is nothing if not dedicated. Even with it's problems, and while small, STO has always had basically the same amount of people playing it forever.

Addicted collectors with money + the only Trek MMO = win for Cryptic.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

g0del posted:

Considering the ba'ul shields currently go for closer to 300m, I wouldn't feel bad about that price at all.

Yikes!

Veotax
May 16, 2006

...Crypric had a forth active MMO? I don't even think I ever heard of this

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

The kelvin divergence vanity shield is also really nice for Klingons, it's a very bright traditional klank green that's finally a modern resolution classic style klingon skin.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Veotax posted:

It was only ever in beta, and I don't think it was available outside Epic & Arc. It never launched on XBox, PS, or Steam like STO or NW.

ETA: I guess one potential upside is moving some of the internal talent back to STO & NW.

Wizard of the Deep fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jun 29, 2021

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Veotax posted:

It was really bad. It was a diablo clone, but instead of abilities/spells you used magic cards from a deck you built. And every time you cast a card, it would get discarded and a new card randomly drawn from your deck to replace it. So imagine Diablo, except your ability hot keys do something different every time you press them, and you can't guarantee that the ability you need at the moment will be available. All running on the same engine as STO ground maps, but with a fixed isometric camera angle.

And, of course, the heavy monetization and gamblebox p2w stuff you see in Cryptic's other games.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I think only Cryptic could gently caress up monetizing a magic the gathering game

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah. All you had to do was have a free roaming section that would switch to a turn-based MTG duel when you ran into a monster or whatever, boom, instant profit. Anyone could've told them that this stupid Diablo idea with random clicky powers was not going to get anyone's attention.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

ETA: I guess one potential upside is moving some of the internal talent back to STO & NW.

Borticus has been retweeting job ads from other developers. I don’t think any of that internal talent will be continuing.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

FuturePastNow posted:

I think only Cryptic could gently caress up monetizing a magic the gathering game

I remember there being another that just completely flopped too, I forget it's name but I remember hearing about it back in some of the earlier TF2 days lol

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

g0del posted:

It was really bad. It was a diablo clone, but instead of abilities/spells you used magic cards from a deck you built. And every time you cast a card, it would get discarded and a new card randomly drawn from your deck to replace it. So imagine Diablo, except your ability hot keys do something different every time you press them, and you can't guarantee that the ability you need at the moment will be available. All running on the same engine as STO ground maps, but with a fixed isometric camera angle.

And, of course, the heavy monetization and gamblebox p2w stuff you see in Cryptic's other games.

And it apparently ran like poo poo even on high end computers.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

I played closed alpha 1 and I was already familiar with the long defunct Battle Of The Immortals, which they reskinned to make MTG Legends.

Doomed from the design stage. Only worthy of pissing on from a great height.

Valatar posted:

Yeah. All you had to do was have a free roaming section that would switch to a turn-based MTG duel when you ran into a monster or whatever, boom, instant profit. Anyone could've told them that this stupid Diablo idea with random clicky powers was not going to get anyone's attention.

The underlying engine was antique and couldn't do free roaming anything. All the technology was not suitable for task.

It would have turned out better if made on a completely unmodified Champions Online engine. Reflect on that for 2 seconds and you'll realise the core problems. Then you also realise it's 2021 and competitors like Black Desert already passed their 5 year anniversaries and print cash like a toilet roll.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Are the sale vanities bound to character or account?

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

MikeJF posted:

Are the sale vanities bound to character or account?

Character, since I think they just stuck them in the dil store which is character-bound only.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

I apologise if these invites are a PITA, but if anyone could find the time to do some more, provided there is room, it'd be appreciated. Happy to do it myself if I got privileges @draeth84. Thanks again, my Batwing looks dope!

Fed: Merovingian@belenul, Khaenen@belenul, Qaenyn@belenul
Klank: Aed'Rhian@belenul, Zero@belenul, Alastair@belenul, Ixen'Taral@draeth84

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I'll add you to my friends list and try to grab you if I see you in game. Are you on the goon chat channel?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Taerkar posted:

I'll add you to my friends list and try to grab you if I see you in game. Are you on the goon chat channel?

Thanks, I accepted. I don't think I have access to the channel, no.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Looks like Dental needs some projects queued again.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Taerkar posted:

Looks like Dental needs some projects queued again.
Queued.

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

poor dilex, you never had a chance

looks like Cryptic needs to recuperate some losses from *elsewhere*

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Well, lots of people have been wanting that 10th Anniversary Bundle back, here it is at 35% off.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

MikeJF posted:

Well, lots of people have been wanting that 10th Anniversary Bundle back, here it is at 35% off.

Sweet! I'll hop right on this! Thank you

...ummm, where?

I got it, looks like it launches later today. I didn't realize you were referencing that link.

Floob fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jul 1, 2021

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

It's tempting but not for the $165 or whatever the charge bonus makes it, especially when I already have my preferred dumb hero ship in the command Konnie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Floob posted:

Sweet! I'll hop right on this! Thank you

...ummm, where?

I got it, looks like it launches later today. I didn't realize you were referencing that link.
It should have been live when you checked, but cryptic is notorious for starting their sales later than advertised. Reports in game are that it's live now.

Also, the dil vanity shields are bound to account. That makes them strictly better than the lockbox vanity shields, which are bound to char on equip.