Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Tallgeese posted:

You're right. Holy hell.

When did they get a second model?

Because having two red birds is not confusing "AT ALL."

The irony here is that I usually have Zhu Que out while I play IMAGINE and you'd think I would notice "wait why is the tail different?" since I stare at the thing's rear end all the time.

Now I'm wondering if the SMT2 demon using the gold-tail model was called Suzaku or Hou-ou.

Even more confusing is the Feng Huang's tail is supposed to have 5 colors in its tails, while Zhu Que is not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Spiffster posted:

So now that Nocturne is complete I’ve been debating on if I should try hard mode on nocturne for a second run or try from fresh on SMT IV since it’s been a while and I never beat it because I just kept getting lost.

I’m just getting... flashbacks... from the beginning of the game and not sure if I want to subject myself to that again...
That sounds like you'd be best off playing Apocalypse. SMT IV is as much about following your shifting objectives as it is getting lost in Tokyo.

You could say, you're getting...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwD3W9a9qJw

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Wark Say posted:

That sounds like you'd be best off playing Apocalypse. SMT IV is as much about following your shifting objectives as it is getting lost in Tokyo.

You could say, you're getting...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwD3W9a9qJw

This thread has sung Apoc’s praises and I am interested but I would want to play IV to completion first so I’m gonna give it another shot.

Booted it back up just to see why I raged quit it because I honestly couldn’t remember. The overworld map definitely was part of it but It seemed kind of off because I could always pull a map or guide. Booted up my game save and it was just before a boss fight. It was Grendel and my highest level was 26. Looking up the level of that bad boy No wonder I got frustrated. Noped right out of that domain and I won’t be back for a bit.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Can someone explain to me why sometimes I get hit with three battles (two reinforcements) in a row in SMT4?

It's not always a problem, but I ran out of mana, got wiped down to MC, popped a pot, and then they spirit drained me before paddling me on my bottom till dead. It's just... really loving annoying.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Funky Valentine posted:

If it's any consolation it's predetermined when the fight starts whether or not negotiation will be successful.
Is there a way I can figure out whether Nocturne negotiation is going to work or not at the start of battle then?

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Andrigaar posted:

Can someone explain to me why sometimes I get hit with three battles (two reinforcements) in a row in SMT4?

It's not always a problem, but I ran out of mana, got wiped down to MC, popped a pot, and then they spirit drained me before paddling me on my bottom till dead. It's just... really loving annoying.

Random encounters in the SMT games always have a chance of putting you into between 1-3 battles in a row. They get more common in the late game. It's just series convention there's not really a specific reason for it happening or way to get around it.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Spiffster posted:

This thread has sung Apoc’s praises and I am interested but I would want to play IV to completion first so I’m gonna give it another shot.

Booted it back up just to see why I raged quit it because I honestly couldn’t remember. The overworld map definitely was part of it but It seemed kind of off because I could always pull a map or guide. Booted up my game save and it was just before a boss fight. It was Grendel and my highest level was 26. Looking up the level of that bad boy No wonder I got frustrated. Noped right out of that domain and I won’t be back for a bit.
Apoc's gets the deserved praises it gets because it's just a better game in most aspects that matter to most players (also NikkolasKing's gushing wrt the game is genuinely infectious :3:)

In my arrogant-rear end opinion, though? I legit don't care about Nanashi and his entourage's story in any way, shape or form as much as I do for the group that I like to call "The Mikado Four". Maybe it's due to the circumstances surrounding my first playthrough, or the fact that I didn't have a computer for that whole month because the parts for it took forever to arrive, but playing SMT IV in the third quarter of 2013 was one of the most enjoyable gaming experiences that I've ever had. Recognizing some parts of the city, even in its post-apocalyptic state, was a blast. Getting lost in Tokyo. Learning to deal with enemies, learning to save more often, hell, even asking for advice in this thread or the one dedicated to it. Paying attention to the cues in the two final dungeons and finding out the passages on 'em off my own initiative was loving rad.

Apocalypse, while fun, never gave me those same highs. Also, the last two dungeons in Apoc can loving choke on a Gaia Rage and die.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I feel like I'm being mocked

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Man I just got to the end of ikebukuro tunnel in smt3 and that was annoying at the end there with the last boss lmao. Hopefully the dungeons after this set (kabukicho prison Jesus christ) are better and less confusing.

I am currently level 40 as well. Just a banger game

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
nocturne is thoroughly a dungeon crawler and navigating mazes is part of the core game. They only get more confusing.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Yeah especially the Kalpas. There aren't really any more like Kabukicho where you're constantly doubling back, but from here on out every dungeon is gonna be the Ikebukuro Tunnels

I seriously recommend getting Estoma/Trafuri and just ignoring fights that aren't worth your time or SP

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVWJ5yzctCo

skeleboy

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Maha posted:

I have a Jack Frost with Dark Might in the ps2 SMT:Nocturne and it's not triggering in the Matador fight, does anyone know what's up with that? It was a new moon.

Were you using a physical skill or the basic attack? Dark/Bright Might only works with regular attacks.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

My boy Turdak looks so good. I'm so happy.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Fafnir is next it seems.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The womb of grief feels so odd. Just having actual plants makes it feel more like a etrian dungeon than the dark reflection on society that most the Schwarzwald is.

Also am I missing something or is there no auto heal. Crazy that smtII has it and not SJ

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZW3lgtFjOjg

Fafnir looks rad.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
MOTHMAN

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
MUITO REAL

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Love that Mothman

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Tallgeese posted:

Because having two red birds is not confusing "AT ALL."

nobody tell this person about all the Kishins

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I seriously recommend getting Estoma/Trafuri and just ignoring fights that aren't worth your time or SP

This is just facts. You can buy a demon in the First Kalpa that comes with (almost?) every utility skill in the game, including Estoma, Liftoma, and Trafuri, and the demon has Watchful so it even levels up when out of party. Though I have never put that demon in my party in the first place.

tracecomplete fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jun 29, 2021

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Paying 15k just for those skills is a bit much but one strat you can go with that's really handy is that High Pixie learns Trafuri as her final skill, and then you can easily fuse her into Sarasvati who comes naturally with Mana Refill which regens your mana as you walk so long as shes in your party, which she would need to be to cast Trafuri anyways. Really really useful because the game's method of balancing Trafuri is making it cost 15 mana which is kind of a ton

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

15K is like nothing in Nocturne. Its a lot for the point in the game you first get to the first Kalpa, but quickly past that it becomes an insignificant amount of macca

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Yeah I had 70k macca when I got that demon in the first kalpa

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Just sell the Bead Chains (5k) and Somas (6k) you get during the early game from treasures/mystical chests/lucky negotiations, at that point a high MAG demon with Media is more than enough for party heals and you were going to hoard those items anyways, turning them into money makes it so much easier to afford the magatamas and the Pisaca.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

How early did you do it? I did it like...before Hell Biker?

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

tracecomplete posted:

nobody tell this person about all the Kishins

This is just facts. You can buy a demon in the First Kalpa that comes with (almost?) every utility skill in the game, including Estoma, Liftoma, and Trafuri, and the demon has Watchful so it even levels up when out of party. Though I have never put that demon in my party in the first place.

and because that Pisaca is relatively low level, it's cheap to resummon (like 16k or so by midgame) and has a nice fat lot of XP on it. that makes it great sacrificial fusion fodder (with Watchful!) if you're not looking to add a specific other skill. nice for the parts of the game where you're not fusing to beat a specific boss or endgame content.

e: unreasonably excited for mothman

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Mothman
Mothma
Does whatever a moth can
Can he swing from a thread?
No he can't
He's a moth
Look out
Here comes Mothman

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Once you unlock the 2nd kalpa (which imo is the first time you'd ever need the pisaca) you can get over 3k macca every time you go through the tunnel minigame. So the 15k price tag is basically nothing.

cardinale
Jul 11, 2016

Yeah! I love his robotic voice

Saagonsa posted:

Once you unlock the 2nd kalpa (which imo is the first time you'd ever need the pisaca) you can get over 3k macca every time you go through the tunnel minigame. So the 15k price tag is basically nothing.
or if you are bad like me you can get 23 macca and need a mediarama

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

cardinale posted:

Yeah! I love his robotic voice

or if you are bad like me you can get 23 macca and need a mediarama

lol yeah i have no idea how anyone gets more than a few hundred, i am extremely bad at that (altogether delightful) minigame

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Saagonsa posted:

Tell me your secrets

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Werner Herzog: I wanna see the Mothman.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

hatty posted:

Tell me your secrets

You gotta get all the hidden macca hidden inside the obstacles. If you follow the coin paths and break all the obstacles they lead you to you'll get most of them. The only real tricky one for the 2nd kalpa is the one hidden inside a sphere obstacle in the top left right after you turn a corner, there aren't any coins telegraphing it and you gotta be ready in the top left before you turn the corner to hit it, and then immediately move out of the way because there's a huge line of them.

My brain is broken and I really like those tunnel minigames

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

I'm glad Titania is back to her old design. The one they used in SMT4A sucked

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Okay, that's it, I'm gonna pitch a loving fit over the SMT4 Kenji fight. This guy and his mass ailment spell can go get stuffed.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Andrigaar posted:

Okay, that's it, I'm gonna pitch a loving fit over the SMT4 Kenji fight. This guy and his mass ailment spell can go get stuffed.

iirc, u can cheese that fight by putting on a null ailment Thing (like a null poison or smth) so that it counts as a block and he loses press turns

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

That ain't cheesing that's stratagem

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Andrigaar posted:

Yeah Kenji is obnoxiously hard. Odds are you won't have hardly any status immunities, but as previously mentioned even one null-ailment will kill his turn. You still have to deal with the effects that landed though, which can be easier said than done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Remember that just like some demons have innate status weaknesses they can also have status immunities you can check in the menu:

You might have some demon in the bench with natural immunities that can help you eat his press turns.