Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I dont even remember the prosecutor in Layton Vs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Speaking of prosecutors I just reached 6-5 trial day 2, wtf layer 3: Nahyuta is taking the stand lmfao. I thought Dhurke being channeled by Maya and Amara both being alive and getting shot in the same day would be hard to top but here we are! :suspense:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Sharkitten posted:

BARNHAM BARNHAM

BARNHAM BARNHAM

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Layton vs Phoenix has some excellent cases and showed you could 100% take the Ace Attorney formula to like, a wizard boarding school and have it kick rear end and then the ending is Layton talking at everyone while you do gently caress all and like everything else Layton touches its just dire.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Layton's silly completely unbelievable """realistic""" explanations for relatively mundane supernatural phenomena are actually not dire at all and rather funny

Also the puzzles are fun

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOkkNpBjYkg

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Amppelix posted:

Layton's silly completely unbelievable """realistic""" explanations for relatively mundane supernatural phenomena are actually not dire at all and rather funny

Also the puzzles are fun

My favourite twist is from the second Layton game. Everyone inhaled deadly gas and is hallucinating the exact same poo poo.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I don't think PL and AA was a good mix, tbh

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm a huge Layton fan, I'm still in denial that the series isn't dead, it's just sleeping.

But Layton and Ace Attorney were not a good mix. The two protagonists just ended up clashing and competing for the spotlight resulting in the final case where the one you're not currently playing as ends up dominating everything. It's not Layton wacky twists that are bad, they're great and fun, it's putting that format in an Ace Attorney game where you usually have much more agency in figuring things out.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

stev posted:

My favourite twist is from the second Layton game. Everyone inhaled deadly gas and is hallucinating the exact same poo poo.

Mine has to be the third one where they made a 1:1 scale replica of the entire city of London but slightly more steampunk, built in a gigantic cavern directly beneath the real London, all for the purposes of making a fake time machine that's actually just an elevator

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead

Sharkitten posted:

He's so good though! He starts out the game 100% confident in himself because he's never lost and the entire system makes it so he doesn't even have to try, but then you introduce "contradictions" to him and he immediately starts trying to become an actual lawyer and learns how to fight you and isn't a cheater or anything!

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I barely remember anything at all about Layton vs Wright.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

He's so good though! He starts out the game 100% confident in himself because he's never lost and the entire system makes it so he doesn't even have to try, but then you introduce "contradictions" to him and he immediately starts trying to become an actual lawyer and learns how to fight you and isn't a cheater or anything!

That's actually pretty cool and makes me want to finally pick up my copy of Layton v Wright.

I adore the trope of "Opposing counsel and/or judge isn't a dick who cheats in court; they're just genuinely doing their job". Another reason My Cousin Vinny is one of my favorite movies. :)

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

The first three cases of plvsaa are incredible and some of the best drat stories in this entire series, you should absolutely experience them

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Also the game makes a great prelude for the great ace attorney which is very obviously actually a sequel to plvsaa

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Layton vs is a great game with way more good than bad, and it's really just that the last case highlights a fundamental difference in how the two series approach overarching plot lines.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I think I still would have preferred a game where both Layton and Phoenix were out of their element instead of just Phoenix.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I am not sure if it is possible for Layton to be out of his element.

Maybe in an alternate universe in which tea does not exist.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

They should have done what Crash and Spyro did in their crossovers and made an entirely separate version of the game for each character/gameplay system.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

My big complaint with Layton vs. Phoenix Wright is that Layton's unflappable nature really stands out and becomes extra boring when paired up with Phoenix's scrappy seat-of-his-pants scrambling, especially when Layton gets to spend the entire climax leading you by the nose to the correct answer.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

My other big complaint is that the first trailer for PlvsAA came out in 2010.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edf2kX9y8UM

I think this means that legally, this is an old game now and I can't wrap my mind around that. It still feels like a "new" Ace Attorney game to me.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I mean, for nearly half of that decade, we haven't gotten ANY new Ace Attorney overseas.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Arist posted:

My big complaint with Layton vs. Phoenix Wright is that Layton's unflappable nature really stands out and becomes extra boring when paired up with Phoenix's scrappy seat-of-his-pants scrambling, especially when Layton gets to spend the entire climax leading you by the nose to the correct answer.

Yeah, this was a common critique and has been my main reason for never playing it. Talk of it in this thread is making me want to start it before Great Ace Attorney comes out, though.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I just remember the puzzles in Layton Vs were really lame

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Read After Burning posted:

Yeah, this was a common critique and has been my main reason for never playing it. Talk of it in this thread is making me want to start it before Great Ace Attorney comes out, though.

The trials are really fun and have a couple neat mechanics that like I said in the OP, are being iterated on in GAA.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Arist posted:

Right. I love Layton taking me on a wild ride when I had no pretense of solving the mystery myself anyway. I'm just there to do puzzles and have a genius man in a top hat explain batshit insane conspiracies to me. But in Ace Attorney I DO expect to solve it, and they'd done a fine job with that in the previous cases. So to throw it all out in the grand finale is just frustrating.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

It's still great and well worth playing for the rest of the game that's not Layton infodumping batshit insane poo poo at you!

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Just go in expecting a Layton game with trial scenes rather than a AA game with puzzles

I played it in between Miracle Mask and Azran Legacy and I enjoyed it immensely

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

As long as we're complaining, I wanted more interactions between the casts of both series and not just the main duos. Give me Chelmey having to deal with Gumshoe, or Pearl hanging out with Flora, or anyone from PL reacting to Larry.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

They gave us a great original cast though so I can't complain.

Ridelle mystere deserved to become the recurring puzzle master of the layton series

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://blog.playstation.com/2021/06/30/inside-capcoms-localization-of-the-great-ace-attorney-chronicles/

Janet Hsu talks more about localization.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I really like how she's like "Of course Phoenix Wright simply has Japanese ancestry" which is how I've always said they'd handle it when people would do handwringing about how could they POSSIBLY localize these

E: Oh man keeping Japanese text for the Japanese sections and having hover subtitles is a great touch.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jun 30, 2021

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

That was a really good article! Thanks for linking it. It confirmed a lot of things I'd already suspected about localization, and made me aware of yet more things I had never thought of!

Can this game just come out already? I want to play it!

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

I really like how the description of Layton here veers towards "British gentleman spouting absolutely outrageous conspiracy theories", haha

Hempuli fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jun 30, 2021

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

It's really more "British gentleman spouting absolutely outrageous conspiracy theories that are somehow completely correct"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/aceattorneygame/status/1410976735944974337?s=19

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/aceattorneygame/status/1412456334482677764?s=20

I kinda wanna read I Am A Cat in preparation.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

I just started Spirit of Justice case 3, and Maya! Maya is back! :coolspot:

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

I just started Spirit of Justice case 3, and Maya! Maya is back! :coolspot:

It drags on a bit too long imo but know that the payoff is really good!

Also I received my R4 cartridge and got AA:I2 working on it today, looking forward to that ! :dance: (I actually played case one years ago on PC but playing this game on something that's not a DS felt deeply wrong)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

It drags on a bit too long imo but know that the payoff is really good!

Also I received my R4 cartridge and got AA:I2 working on it today, looking forward to that ! :dance: (I actually played case one years ago on PC but playing this game on something that's not a DS felt deeply wrong)

I'm planning on playing GAA on PC and I'm legit wondering if it'll feel bad after playing 7 of these things (8 if you count the remaster) splayed out on a sofa/bed/toilet staring at a tiny screen.