Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
OP can’t see the forest for the tree, he’s not thinking like a lawyer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I can imagine trees blocking a view of mountains in the distance but I would still want the trees. To pee on.

It’s one of the better English names. Similar word play/joke—“idée fixe” (fixed idea) vs. dogmatic—but with a double entendre on the “dog” part.

Unlike, say, Chief Vitalstatistix (wtf) as opposed to Abraracourcix (à bras raccourcis, i.e. sleeves rolled, dukes up and ready to kick someone’s rear end)

Please genuinely tell me more about the original puns in the names in Asterix, that's much more fun than the tree fight.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

daslog posted:

I'm primary concerned with going in with the neighbors. We will probably make a few thousand dollars in profit from the loggers (who would take care of the permitting) and while I don't care if I make a dime in profit I can see where that might get ugly.

what you want is deemed by us in the esteemed profession of law as a "contract", it is an ancient, mythical device of binding

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Organza Quiz posted:

Please genuinely tell me more about the original puns in the names in Asterix, that's much more fun than the tree fight.

Yeah, what about the Caesar guy? Is he like a play on Caesar salad?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

In French, the Roman encampments around the Gaul village are named Aquarium, Babaorum (rhum cake), Laudanum and Petibonum (petit bonhomme, little man).

Also the musician is named Assurancetourix, all-risk insurance.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
The old man (Geriatrix) is Agecanonix (“âge canonique,” an expression meaning venerable age but sometimes used ironically for young people, referring to the catholic “canonical” ages for sacraments, etc

The smith (Fulliautomatix) is Cétautomatix, (c’est automatique, “it’s automatic” or “it happens automatically”)

The fishmonger (Unhygienix) is Ordralfabétix (ordre alphabétique, alphabetic order)

Some romans I remember are Marcus Sacapus (sac à puces, fleabag); Nenpeuplus (n’en peut plus, can’t take it anymore). There’s some Vikings named Neuillisursen (Neuilly-sur-Seine) and Kerøsen (Kerosene). Some Normans are named Olaf Grossebaf (grosse baffe, big punch) and Sténograf (stenographer).

There’s Egyptians named Courdeténis (court de tennis, tennis court), Tournevis (tourne-vis, screwdriver) and Ginfis (gin fizz). Some goths named Périféric (Périphérique, as in the road around Paris) and Téléferic (téléphérique, like a ski lift). And the Swiss banker is Zurix (Zurich).

I’ll have to go back to my books to see more.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Abraracourcix is definitely better, but so are Unhygienix and Cacofonix

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Getafix also is pretty good. Overall the names are pretty well translated.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

EwokEntourage posted:

what you want is deemed by us in the esteemed profession of law as a "contract", it is an ancient, mythical device of binding

Truly, our word sorcery knows no bounds.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
what the poo poo

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I cast: enforceable mutual promise to perform

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I'm the rear end in a top hat who wouldn't flinch about cutting down several acres of trees because I want to see some rocks.

Can a lawyer in this thread please tell me how to sue the world to force it to rotate around me please? Is that a state issue or a federal issue?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That's Space Maritime Law.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Motronic posted:

That's Space Maritime Law.

Speaking of, I want to settle an argument. If I got a laser so powerful that I could project an image of a giant dong onto the moon, can anyone take legal action?

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

Zero VGS posted:

Speaking of, I want to settle an argument. If I got a laser so powerful that I could project an image of a giant dong onto the moon, can anyone take legal action?

No, in this scenario you own the moon by right of conquest.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Your HOA would be able to shut your laser down no problem

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

euphronius posted:

Your HOA would be able to shut your laser down no problem

What if it were somehow a HAM radio tower

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

What if it were somehow a HAM radio tower

They would still say it’s not kosher.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I'm the rear end in a top hat who wouldn't flinch about cutting down several acres of trees because I want to see some rocks.

It should be noted that after I cut all these trees that are blocking my mountain view it's my intention to build some trails for my Internal Combustion off road vehicles that do not have catalytic converters and usually leak oil.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

daslog posted:

It should be noted that after I cut all these trees that are blocking my mountain view it's my intention to build some trails for my Internal Combustion off road vehicles that do not have catalytic converters and usually leak oil.

As long as this benefits exactly you some how, I'm sure you can rationalize that. After all, that's the American Way™!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

supposing a person's property has no carve-out for someone else to have mineral rights etc, so they "own" (within the limits of real estate law) the ground under their house as well; does the law envisage that the boundaries extend downward at exactly 90 degrees to the surface of the Earth, or, does it understand that in theory you'd own a wedge or inverted-pyramid shape extending to a point at the center of the Earth where all lines converge?

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Nice piece of fish posted:

Don't listen to this idiot, OP murdered the entwives!

Hmm, would Ent murder be the fullest evolution of the mighty Tree Law? God only knows the price on chopping down a tree that gained sentience in the dawning of the First Age of Arda; probably the real reason Saruman lost Isengard and wound up fleeing in abject poverty.

Zero VGS posted:

Pretty sure at that level of laser power law enforcement generally involves manly heroes in costumes breaking in to stop your mad schemes.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

supposing a person's property has no carve-out for someone else to have mineral rights etc, so they "own" (within the limits of real estate law) the ground under their house as well; does the law envisage that the boundaries extend downward at exactly 90 degrees to the surface of the Earth, or, does it understand that in theory you'd own a wedge or inverted-pyramid shape extending to a point at the center of the Earth where all lines converge?

Here’s a law review article for you - https://scholarlycommons.pacific.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1141&context=facultyarticles - which suggests that it’s probably to be interpreted as a wedge, according to Pufendorf as interpreted by Blackstone.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Kalman posted:

Here’s a law review article for you - https://scholarlycommons.pacific.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1141&context=facultyarticles - which suggests that it’s probably to be interpreted as a wedge, according to Pufendorf as interpreted by Blackstone.

Footnote 5 references one of my college geology textbooks (Lutgens & Tarbuck 6th ed. is still on my shelf), so I am happy to conclude this is a well-researched article just from that one data point.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Wait, you’re saying I own a portion of the Earth’s core?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

FrozenVent posted:

technically, but you've gotta go and scoop some yourself if you actually want to use it

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

Some dude in 1766 argued, with no prior legal foundation to support it, that you do; and this became more or less entrenched as legal opinion because he was a respected law knower man.

quote:

For decades, the American legal system has answered this question
with the solemn assurance that a landowner’s title extends to everything
between the land surface and the center of the planet. This approach is
reflected in the Latin maxim cujus est solum, ejus est usque ad coelum et
ad inferos
, usually translated as meaning that the rights of the surface owner
extend upward to the heavens (ad coelum) and downward to the center of
the earth (ad inferos).
The Common Law Foundation
The theory that American law recognizes ownership to the center of
the earth can be traced back to 1766, when William Blackstone boldly
proclaimed the doctrine in his famous treatise Commentaries on the Laws
It was not a principle of Roman law—despite the Latin
phrasing of the maxim—nor was the theory recognized in early common
law.
Rather, it is best viewed as hyperbole invented by Blackstone, without
any prior foundation in English law. Measured against the yardstick of
common law history, it is a comparatively modern creation.
Blissfully ignorant of subsurface geology, English and American courts
repeated this center of the earth dictum over the ensuing decades, often in
cases where subsurface rights were not even in dispute. Authors of legal
treatises and legal dictionaries similarly adopted the dictum, using it broadly
to help define the meaning of “land,” or to explain the scope of property
rights that were conveyed by a deed. By the end of the nineteenth century, frequent repetition had transformed Blackstone’s naked assertion into
a supposed rule of American law.

The review notes that the ad coelum part was taken away when airplanes were invented.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jun 29, 2021

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

rocks are prettier than trees case dismissed

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
In the 6-3 decision of Saruman the White v Fangorn Forest, Justice Alito delivers the conservative majority's ruling that...

I guess if you sued a bunch of ents it'd have to be an in rem action right?

Nonexistence fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jun 29, 2021

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If there was anything valuable that low they would remove it from “fee simple”

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

euphronius posted:

If there was anything valuable that low they would remove it from “fee simple”

I'm sure part of the actual molten iron core would be valuable as its gonna have basically no radiation exposure. For example, see low exposure iron salvaged from WWII and prior shipwrecks.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I think the issue is not value - but rather that the value is not greater than the cost of extraction.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It would cost 1 googol dollars to get to it.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Wouldn’t be the first thing I own that I never touch, see, for example, the dumbbell set.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Leperflesh posted:

The review notes that the ad coelum part was taken away when airplanes were invented.

I vaguely remember reading that property rights still go up to infinity, but planes and satellites don't count as a trespass because they don't affect your use of the property. No idea if it's true.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

True fact you don’t own anything the sovereign can take it at any time.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Kalman posted:

I found a physics error in this law review article, is it too old to demand a correction?

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'm sure part of the actual molten iron core would be valuable as its gonna have basically no radiation exposure. For example, see low exposure iron salvaged from WWII and prior shipwrecks.

The core of the earth is like, super radioactive. A lot. Also you'll have to get through the mantle to get some of that sweet iron core, and given mantle composition is also like 8% iron, it feels kinda wasteful to ignore that stuff on your way down.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

why would anyone care about 8% iron when there's enormous geodes full of diamonds down there

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

euphronius posted:

True fact you don’t own anything the sovereign can take it at any time.

I mean 'you' might still be forums user Queen Elizabeth Ii.

Sup Bessie!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

I found a physics error in this law review article, is it too old to demand a correction?

Hahahahaha corrections of a law review article that’s an excellent joke.