Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Even if you stop worrying about utilization, it's still annoying to have a credit limit that's half of what you spend in a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Craptacular! posted:

What's the best way to get more credit right now? New cards or limit increase? I've been using CapOne for thirteen years, with periods of low utilization to high, always paid it down over time, and they still won't do squat for a CLI. It's still the same as I started in 2007. This is an issue because seven years ago we closed a secured card that ran from 2005-2013 because my father wanted the money back. So my available credit went down in 2013 and has never inched upward.

I've been told this is more of a specific CapOne related problem, though.
How aggressively do you pay your balance over time? The issuer is going to look at that to determine your free cash flow, and therefore how much credit you can take on. Making only minimum payments signals that you have no free cash flow, at least not for them.

e: Not to lecture, but I'd suggest that in the case of discretionary purchases like computer equipment, you consider saving for them rather than financing them on a card.

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jun 26, 2021

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

This is a stupid question but Chase's fine print isn't helpful. I just got approved for the Sapphire Preferred card and the 4k in 3 month deadline starts when I activate, right? This is the first card I've gotten with this kind of a bonus and I want to make sure I don't gently caress anything up.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Casu Marzu posted:

This is a stupid question but Chase's fine print isn't helpful. I just got approved for the Sapphire Preferred card and the 4k in 3 month deadline starts when I activate, right? This is the first card I've gotten with this kind of a bonus and I want to make sure I don't gently caress anything up.

No, it starts when you're approved. You can ask them for the exact dates if you need it.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Gazpacho posted:

e: Not to lecture, but I'd suggest that in the case of discretionary purchases like computer equipment, you consider saving for them rather than financing them on a card.

To be fair, a 1k limit on a card restricts the amount of computer equipment one can buy regardless of whether one has the money ahead of time.

OP just needs to get a card somewhere that isn't Capital One.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

asur posted:

No, it starts when you're approved. You can ask them for the exact dates if you need it.

:tipshat: thanks

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

astral posted:

To be fair, a 1k limit on a card restricts the amount of computer equipment one can buy regardless of whether one has the money ahead of time.

OP just needs to get a card somewhere that isn't Capital One.
That's a good point.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Gazpacho posted:

How aggressively do you pay your balance over time? The issuer is going to look at that to determine your free cash flow, and therefore how much credit you can take on. Making only minimum payments signals that you have no free cash flow, at least not for them.

This makes some sense and probably explains my situation. The past several years I have tended to use credit cards as a way to either pay off something that I could afford immediately but wanted to keep a rainy day cushion, or for family debts that are being paid back slowly over time.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Craptacular! posted:

This makes some sense and probably explains my situation. The past several years I have tended to use credit cards as a way to either pay off something that I could afford immediately but wanted to keep a rainy day cushion, or for family debts that are being paid back slowly over time.

If I can get into my own philosophy for a bit, I think these two ideas are mutually exclusive: either you can afford it and keep a rainy day cushion, or you can't really afford it. That cushion is for rainy days, not for borrowing against, and certainly not for borrowing from a third-party, paying fat amounts of interest in the process.

If there are somehow mitigating circumstances, you should at the very least consider something with a lower interest rate—like a personal loan, from a credit union if you only need a small amount—instead of a credit card.

Use a credit card for stuff you can afford, pay it off in full each month, and collect at least 2% back in rewards/points for every dollar you would have spent anyway.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Some time ago I overpaid my Uber card by mistake (got something refunded right after the autopay hit). I talked with Barclay's support and they sent out a check because apparently in 2021 they don't do ACH transfers.

As soon as the check went out my balance went to $0, but it's been two weeks and it hasn't arrived.

I'm gonna be calling tomorrow once I make a final sweep of the house to make sure it hasn't gotten misplaced. I just wanted to know if anyone's had any similar situations and if Barclay's can just cancel the check and issue a new one, if worst comes to worst.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Some time ago I overpaid my Uber card by mistake (got something refunded right after the autopay hit). I talked with Barclay's support and they sent out a check because apparently in 2021 they don't do ACH transfers.

As soon as the check went out my balance went to $0, but it's been two weeks and it hasn't arrived.

I'm gonna be calling tomorrow once I make a final sweep of the house to make sure it hasn't gotten misplaced. I just wanted to know if anyone's had any similar situations and if Barclay's can just cancel the check and issue a new one, if worst comes to worst.

That's so weird, I can pay more than my balance on my Chase card (CSR) and it just makes the balance negative. I guess Barclay's doesn't support that?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I overpaid but 71c on a card I almost never use. It's been negative for a month now.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I know some places can take like 5 weeks for a check to show up. I needed a refund check once (not from a bank or credit card issuer) and it took one week for them to sit on the payment, another week for it to get approved, and then another week for it to actually get printed and mailed. I would expect like a real financial institution to be better than that though.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Got a notification from USPS that the check was arriving today, right after I spent my Sunday looking under every loving piece of furniture lol

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Inner Light posted:

That's so weird, I can pay more than my balance on my Chase card (CSR) and it just makes the balance negative. I guess Barclay's doesn't support that?

Yeah, my balance was negative but it's a card that I only keep active for credit score purposes, it would've taken me months to use up the overpayment. I'd just forgotten to cancel an annual service that I had on it, got that refunded, but by then my statement had closed and the card autopaid the non-refunded amount.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
If anyone is wondering how much Chase Points can be worth, I’m looking at a Hyatt hotel reservation (1:1 transfer partner) that for some reason wants $800 a night cash, or 15,000 points…

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Elysium posted:

If anyone is wondering how much Chase Points can be worth, I’m looking at a Hyatt hotel reservation (1:1 transfer partner) that for some reason wants $800 a night cash, or 15,000 points…

Yup, this is my preferred way of using Chase points as well. High value airline redemptions have always been a PITA for people who aren't travel bloggers. Hyatt seems to have good availability and good value for their redemptions, both within and outside the US.

Wish I could figure out a similar thing for Amex points. Marriott seems way worse.

Initio
Oct 29, 2007
!
I always treated the Chase points as 1.5c. You can get better value transferring to Hyatt or UA. Unfortunately there’s almost never a Hyatt where I’m going and usually anything domestic, you’re better buying the ticket from Chase’s portal with points with the 50% bonus rather than transferring - you’ll still earn UA points this way too as if you had paid cash for the ticket.

Given the uncertain state of how traveling anywhere looked last year, I ended up cashing out all of my points “paying myself back” from Home Depot purchases instead.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

Residency Evil posted:

Yup, this is my preferred way of using Chase points as well. High value airline redemptions have always been a PITA for people who aren't travel bloggers. Hyatt seems to have good availability and good value for their redemptions, both within and outside the US.

Wish I could figure out a similar thing for Amex points. Marriott seems way worse.

Amex -> Schwab at 1.25cpp seems like a pretty solid choice.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

CubicalSucrose posted:

This is getting changed to 1.1 this year

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
put an absolute grip of work poo poo on a card to launder some points through reimbursement and lost 27 points on my credit score due to utilization going up. life isnt fair. time to die.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Smythe posted:

put an absolute grip of work poo poo on a card to launder some points through reimbursement and lost 27 points on my credit score due to utilization going up. life isnt fair. time to die.

Luckily, utilization has no memory and you should get those credit score points back in the next month if it's all paid off.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

astral posted:

Luckily, utilization has no memory and you should get those credit score points back by the next month if it's all paid off.

astral knows everything. amazing

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
its hard to grow score without growing income. but by god we're going to do it.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Smythe posted:

It might be worth asking for a credit limit increase

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
I just got my Citi Custom Cash (sorry I didn't use the goon referral link!), and plan to get close to maxing out the $500/month limit tonight on a big grocery store run. Buying gift cards and stamps help pad the bill.

I just have to figure out if it makes sense to also keep the Blue Cash Preferred with the $95 annual fee, when there are so many quarters where Discover and Chase cover the same categories at similar redemption rates. I like the idea of my no-fee cards covering the bases and downgrading as many annual fee cards as possible.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

im on the net me boys posted:

Oh wow, thanks for the note. Ugh, now I have to reevaluate a lot of cards.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I don't want a Delta specific credit card, but I think since I want to do a lot of international travel in the next few years its reasonable to think i'll be using them a lot; Im about 3 hours from Atlanta.

What's a good rewards card that plays well with Delta?

Thanks!

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

FizFashizzle posted:

I don't want a Delta specific credit card, but I think since I want to do a lot of international travel in the next few years its reasonable to think i'll be using them a lot; Im about 3 hours from Atlanta.

What's a good rewards card that plays well with Delta?

Thanks!

American Express MR points can be transferred to Delta, though it’s not always the best redemption compared to some other partners. Depending on your spending habits it might make more sense to just go for cash back cards.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

CubicalSucrose posted:

Ooof, that kind of hurts. I was planning on getting the amex gold/plat for those sweet multipliers on travel/food/groceries. Sounds like the math may change a bit.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

It looks like the Amex Platinum fee is going up to $695 tomorrow so if anyone was on the fence it’s a good time to pull the trigger

gregday
May 23, 2003

It looks like the Amex Platinum fee is going up to $695 tomorrow so if anyone was on the fence it’s a good time to pull the trigger

Christ. I hope there’s something new to make that worth it.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

gregday posted:

Christ. I hope there’s something new to make that worth it.

There are new credits, but naturally they’re not going to helpful to everyone. I think what was suggested and I’m not sure is to be confirmed yet are a $300 equinox credit and a monthly streaming credit.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

There are new credits, but naturally they’re not going to helpful to everyone. I think what was suggested and I’m not sure is to be confirmed yet are a $300 equinox credit and a monthly streaming credit.

Details are up. The monthly streaming credit is useless.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

American Express MR points can be transferred to Delta, though it’s not always the best redemption compared to some other partners. Depending on your spending habits it might make more sense to just go for cash back cards.

Just applied for this one

https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/c...CMSDefaultOffer

and I don't qualify for it

Dammit! I have a real job now! I'm a contributing member of society!

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Woah, got a targeted offer for the 150k Amex Platinum, but now they're saying they need to review my application. :ohdear:

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

FizFashizzle posted:

Just applied for this one

https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/c...CMSDefaultOffer

and I don't qualify for it

Dammit! I have a real job now! I'm a contributing member of society!

What’s your credit score right now? If it’s not enough for Citi you might need more of a starter card.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

I called Wells Fargo today to see if I could switch my previously secured Platinum card to the new Active Cash. The person who answered the phone put me on hold because they had to call tech support themselves. After a few minutes, they came back and basically said "our systems are hosed, but it's on the website if you can find it"

So I went to the website and figured it out myself.

Everything but the expiration and CVC stays the same.

For anyone interested in doing it you open your account summary in a browser, click on the card you want to switch, click "View More Services" on the right hand side, then click "Switch My Card" and follow the instructions after that.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Shroomie posted:

I called Wells Fargo today to see if I could switch my previously secured Platinum card to the new Active Cash. The person who answered the phone put me on hold because they had to call tech support themselves. After a few minutes, they came back and basically said "our systems are hosed, but it's on the website if you can find it"

For anyone interested in doing it you open your account summary in a browser, click on the card you want to switch, click "View More Services" on the right hand side, then click "Switch My Card" and follow the instructions after that.

Nice find!

edit: Looks like the benefits are posted now that it's launched: it has cell phone protection with a $25 deductible but no extended warranty; the cell phone protection as expected doesn't cover lost or prepaid phones. It does not cover 'rented or borrowed' phones. It also does not cover "Electronic issues, such as inability to charge, mechanical or battery failure, where there is no evidence of physical damage" (full cell phone protection terms). Not bad.

Can redeem against purchases for $1 or more. Cash redemption options are in increments of $25, or $20 if from a wells fargo ATM (requires wells fargo debit/ATM card).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Shroomie posted:

Congrats!