Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Felt really listless and floaty on the bike today. Hope it was just still general malaise from my second vax on Tuesday, but definitely called it quits after 5k tooting through the village. One of those days where riding just didn’t feel right so probably better to pack it in and chill in front of the TV for a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Martytoof posted:

Felt really listless and floaty on the bike today. Hope it was just still general malaise from my second vax on Tuesday, but definitely called it quits after 5k tooting through the village. One of those days where riding just didn’t feel right so probably better to pack it in and chill in front of the TV for a bit.

Great call, lovely to read your post rather than another news report. Seriously, if riding feels off, just quit for the day.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Even if I get a MV Augusta?

MV agustas are literally Ducatis with an inline engine. Electrical architecture, cycle parts, geometry etc are basically identical and many parts clearly come from the same factories. It seems like they spent their effort on developing the i4 engine and shortcutted the other stuff by just cloning a Ducati, I'll bet anything tamburini had a development mule 996 with a hacked up frame and i4 bodged in.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jun 25, 2021

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

I finally got a tailbag; what should I be carrying with me on every longish ride? Other than a patch kit of course, and water. Maybe some better tools then what's stowed under the seat?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Slavvy posted:

MV agustas are literally Ducatis with an inline engine. Electrical architecture, cycle parts, geometry etc are basically identical and many parts clearly come from the same factories. It seems like they spent their effort on developing the i4 engine and shortcutted the other stuff by just cloning a Ducati, I'll bet anything tamburini had a development mule 996 with a hacked up frame and i4 bodged in.

Also somehow even more expensive than a ducati? There's an mv augusta at a local dealer listed at 30k 0.o

Edit: brutale 1000rr for 32k

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

My local dealer has a $38.8k MV Agusta naked bike and I have to admit I don't really see the point

https://www.proitalia.com/default.asp?page=xNewInventoryDetail&id=10093629&p=1&make=mv%20agusta&s=Year&d=D&t=new&fr=xNewInventory

*edit*
I hate both the front and rear wheels

MomJeans420 fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jun 25, 2021

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I don't like their nakeds at all but :drat: if the superveloce isn't straight sex on wheels

especially the alpine edition:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

MomJeans420 posted:

My local dealer has a $38.8k MV Agusta naked bike and I have to admit I don't really see the point

https://www.proitalia.com/default.asp?page=xNewInventoryDetail&id=10093629&p=1&make=mv%20agusta&s=Year&d=D&t=new&fr=xNewInventory

*edit*

Things I didn’t realize a 40k motorcycle would include:

- A rear hubcap

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

MomJeans420 posted:

*edit*

I've always had a thing for the various flavors of the Brutale, but this bike is aggressively ugly

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

bizwank posted:

I finally got a tailbag; what should I be carrying with me on every longish ride? Other than a patch kit of course, and water. Maybe some better tools then what's stowed under the seat?

Toilet paper/wet wipes
Zip ties
Tape
Rags
Peanuts
Nitrile gloves
Tire gauge
Little flashlight
Earplugs
First aid kit
Knife
Needle nose pliers

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I also threw $100 in $20s in an inconspicuous envelope in my toolkit under the seat. I never carry cash otherwise, and who knows when you’ll pull into the one gas station where the credit card reader is busted, or need to make an insultingly low bribe to a pig.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Toilet paper/wet wipes
Zip ties
Tape
Rags
Peanuts
Nitrile gloves
Tire gauge
Little flashlight
Earplugs
First aid kit
Knife
Needle nose pliers

Zipties are soooo handy. I was on a 10 day long trip; clasp broke on my saddle bag (rivet popped out). Ziptied the clasp back on. Next day, zip puller broke off on my jacket. Ziptied it back on.

Keep lots of spare ear plugs. I always carry 6 or 7 pairs.

Spare gloves are handy in case you get caught in the rain; you want dry ones for the next day.

Hand sanitiser.

100ml of isopropyl alcohol, in a spray bottle. Incredibly useful for cleaning visors, glasses, mirrors, all sorts.

Battery tender, just in case.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Survival kit contents check. In them you'll find: one forty-five caliber automatic; two boxes of ammunition; four days' concentrated emergency rations; one drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills; one miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible; one hundred dollars in rubles; one hundred dollars in gold; nine packs of chewing gum; one issue of prophylactics; three lipsticks; three pair of nylon stockings.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Gorson posted:

Survival kit contents check. In them you'll find: one forty-five caliber automatic; two boxes of ammunition; four days' concentrated emergency rations; one drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills; one miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible; one hundred dollars in rubles; one hundred dollars in gold; nine packs of chewing gum; one issue of prophylactics; three lipsticks; three pair of nylon stockings.

YOU CAN'T FIGHT IN HERE THIS IS THE WAR ROOM

I'd personally also add a rotor lock, a GPS tracker, and a helmet lock, as well as a bunch of assorted bungie cords for when you're out on the bike and suddenly decide you want to buy an end table or a bunch of watermelons.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Sunblock.

Nobody likes sunburn, and skin cancer is no joke.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Horse Clocks posted:

Sunblock.

Nobody likes sunburn, and skin cancer is no joke.

On this note, please benefit from the hard lesson I learned this past weekend - occasionally check to make sure your sunblock isn't expired.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
These sleeves are great too. Even though that brand tends to attract a certain, uh, audience, their sleeves are basically UPF 30.

You should be riding with a jacket, because nothing is hotter than being unable to sweat because you road-rashed all your skin off, but if you have to bare your arms you should wear those sleevies instead.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I buy generic no name brand bicycling arm sleeves from Amazon and I swear by them for hot days on the bike or bike or even just out and about

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I just got a mesh jacket for the first time in years and I had completely forgotten how crucial it is for summer. The Revit Sand 3 is ok, but mesh is a whole new world. You get sun protection AND airflow. And you get to keep your bones/skin in a crash.

Knight2m
Jul 26, 2002

Touchdown Steelers

After literal months of checking, I was finally able to register for the BRC. First class is Tuesday, range day is the following Saturday and I wish it was now.

I knew covid was messing up schedules for literally everything, but I did not expect to have such trouble getting into a riding course.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Knight2m posted:

After literal months of checking, I was finally able to register for the BRC. First class is Tuesday, range day is the following Saturday and I wish it was now.

I knew covid was messing up schedules for literally everything, but I did not expect to have such trouble getting into a riding course.

If you don't have one get a camelback or other wearable water container, you will dehydrate like crazy. Check my posts in this thread for my impressions from a few weeks ago.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Definitely get yourself a neck gaiter and just soak it in water while you’re not on the bike. That wasn’t the only lesson I learned in my rider’s ed but it was a crucial one.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

You can also start hydrating a day or two before your class

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

at my BRC we had pretty frequent breaks, so if you don't want to spring for a camelback you can just bring a cooler full of water bottles and stash it somewhere handy.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

FBS posted:

at my BRC we had pretty frequent breaks, so if you don't want to spring for a camelback you can just bring a cooler full of water bottles and stash it somewhere handy.

That was what I did for both days of mine and it worked well the second day after I drank enough water to get out of the hole after day one, but the water I drank on the first day wasn't enough to make up for my deficit. If you go into it well hydrated, and I thought I was but apparently wasn't, I'd expect that to be enough for the weekend.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I'm progressing towards my licence in the Swedish system. This included a mandatory full day of "risk education". Half the day was theoretical, we talked a bunch about gear and accident statistics. The other half day was something akin to a BRC I guess. Bunch of people on CB600's, two young guys on some type of 125's, someone on something in between power-wise depending on what level of licence we're aiming for.

-We spent a bunch of time convincing a couple of the participants that counter steering is indeed how you turn a motorcycle (pop into neutral at speed, hands off the bars, try to turn with weight shift, also brake with just one hand on the bar and see what happens etc.
-We got to do a bunch of braking, including on gravel. The exercises seemed to be designed to teach us to trust the ABS to save us pretty much.
-We got to give passenger rides to the instructors on a go-kart track, where they demonstrated what happens when the passenger does the right thing vs. the wrong thing. My passenger was more than 100 kg so the effect was dramatic.
-They demonstrated that a loaded truck can outbreak a motorcycle. We then got to sit in the truck and see where the visibility dead zones are. That was food for thought for sure.
-We got to try to take an impossible corner (speed too high) and see where we ran out of the cones doing various things (trail braking, clutch dumping, engine braking and steady throttle input). It was unpleasant but good to try.
-They also demonstrated that it's hard to judge distance/time of merge to a motorcycle, especially when it's accelerating.
-The day ended with a race from the far end of the track back to the bike parking. Slowest rider wins, feet down disqualifies. I finished second and was pretty stoked since the winner was on a 125 and I tell myself that it should be easier on one of those.

I'm sure I've forgotten something else that we did that was neat, it's been a few weeks. A couple of students crashed but nobody got hurt, all in all it was a good and very sweaty day.

I've also taken a couple of professional lessons on the track, practicing mainly the three things I'll need to demonstrate on my check ride with the inspector from the DOT - the slow speed manoeuvring track, the high speed manoeuvring track (swerve, slalom, braking, u-turn) and the high speed braking test. Braking is hard to fail at once I learned to brace properly since all the bikes have ABS, though it's fun/hard to try to outperform the computer by a bike length by finding the limit of grip. On the low speed and high speed tracks I succeeded 2/3 of my attempts or so last time, so I still need more practice. I don't want to need luck on the exam.

Apart from this I've gone on a bunch of practice rides on roads and streets with my amateur instructor on the Versys 650. I'm starting to feel pretty comfortable on the bike, it pretty much goes where I want it to go without too much thought so I can focus on traffic and the route ahead, speed limits and cancelling my turn signals and those kind of things. Compared to the hornets at the riding school the versys feels pretty mild and relaxing. Less power, more upright posture and greater steering lock mainly, also a rough clutch cable that should be replaced. My instructor lives where there's a bunch of gravel road infrastructure related to the rail network with absolutely no traffic, so I practice low speed skills there. Slow figure 8's and whatnot on bumpy gravel is hard but learning on it makes the tarmac at the test track feel easy so it's good exercise I think.
Last sessions I did a bunch of no feet down starts and stops going uphill (my clutch/throttle control and low speed balance needs improvement) and I lost control and dropped the bike for the first time. No injuries or bike damage, it actually felt more liberating than anything once I got over the feeling of humiliation. My instructor has suggested that dropping the bike once or twice at low speed would be good for me and help me relax a bit at low speed, so she was happy that I finally did it.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

quote:

I'm progressing towards my licence in the Swedish system. This included a mandatory full day of "risk education". Half the day was theoretical, we talked a bunch about gear and accident statistics. The other half day was...

:sweden:

quote:

Just got my temps and a busa

:911:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
God, just that "entering a corner too hot on purpose" exercise would be so useful

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Phy posted:

God, just that "entering a corner too hot on purpose" exercise would be so useful

A large roundabout at 1am works the same. Or I guess a deserted Walmart carpark? I'm told they're airport scale.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Coydog posted:

I just got a mesh jacket for the first time in years and I had completely forgotten how crucial it is for summer. The Revit Sand 3 is ok, but mesh is a whole new world. You get sun protection AND airflow. And you get to keep your bones/skin in a crash.
I love my Joe Rocket mesh jacket. Its bright red and is blasted with ROCKET and DUNLOP and RACE TECH and HINDLE sponsor logos. I mean its a bit much but its fun and so good with the weather were having right now. It does flap in the wind a bit.

The Revit stuff is really nice though, I have a pair of boots from them.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

When I did that exercise the instructor asked us what speed we thought was suitable through the corner, then we got to try taking it at that speed. I think all of us went off. :v:

To be fair none of us had the confidence to lean properly at the time either.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah, all that stuff in the Swedish system sounds great. Especially the corner-too-hot exercise, the truck-braking and truck-blindspots, and the passenger-weight-shifting. I don't think any of those were covered in my Canadian course and all would have been useful.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The truck braking thing especially would drastically cut accidents and dumb fuckers thinking tailgating modern cars is a good idea.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
The us MSF course is very structured and gives zero time to gently caress around. That trial and error stuff seems like it would be very rewarding for people to see why certain things work and why other things don't, like too much speed in a corner, stopping distance etc.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

A large roundabout at 1am works the same. Or I guess a deserted Walmart carpark? I'm told they're airport scale.

Correct, although by 1 in the morno I'm all sleepy nowadays

Plus I'd like to try that on a second bike, which I don't have, instead of My Favourite Bike In The World, The Precious, Yessssss, which I do. I'm sure I could try it out on the Rex but I'd be a lot more hesitant to push myself.

The solution there is obvious but I'm short the money rn, especially in this hosed up market

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Invalido posted:

My passenger was more than 100 kg so the effect was dramatic.

I had a ~110kg passenger before just to give him a ride around the block and dramatic is a pretty good description

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Man I want to take Sweden motorcycle school.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It’s been real poo poo outside the last week and I haven’t been on my bike in a long time I feel, and man it just felt really nice today. I remember last time I went out I wasn’t in the right headspace and it was right after my second vax and I was all floaty and today was just the polar opposite. The bike felt so good under me, just did everything that I asked of it, and I had forgotten all about the anxiety I felt coming home previously.

My friend just signed up for her basic riders course here and I kind of want to go take it with her for support, and to reinforce all the low speed stuff I should be practicing.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

poo poo I’ve been riding for 14 years and could use all of those experiences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Phy posted:

That one really stuck with me. The instructor was like "you're not gonna make this corner. That's not the purpose of this. The purpose is for you to learn how it feels when you realize you won't make the corner" - it felt really bad, even if it was just cones in a safe setting.

MomJeans420 posted:

I had a ~110kg passenger before just to give him a ride around the block and dramatic is a pretty good description
I was very surprised with how easy it was to ride with a competent passenger on a twisty track, even though he was a big guy. Sure, acceleration and braking were affected but both engine and brakes were very much up to the task. Granted I wasn't going very fast but I wouldn't hesitate to take passengers in the future provided they do as I tell them which I guess was the whole purpose of the exercise.

I suspect that the slight tweaks to driver/rider education over the last decades are part of vision zero, which ironically riders have been critical against since it among other things involves installation of a bunch of wire barriers that riders fear getting tangled up in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LMg7MM3Nlk

When I learned to drive in the late 90's things were ever so slightly different, the "risk education" wasn't called that back then and consisted of provoking skids in a low friction environment and learning to cope with understeer, oversteer and threshold braking in ABS-less beater cars. The skid pad is still mandatory in driver's education but there's also a theoretical seminar and some other practical stuff that wasn't part of the package back then.

When I decided to start riding and got a standard ~600cc as a learner bike (which is the common buying advice in my country) this forum made me question this decision - gopros were mentioned IIRC. Now I'm thinking that it's absolutely possible to be safe on a relatively heavy/powerful bike from the get-go provided you get properly educated. I'm grateful that I am forced to get passable fundamental skills in order to get my licence, hopefully it will be a good foundation to safely progress from as a rider once I'm out there on my own without any further guidance.

The drawback is that it's a slow and expensive process. €2000 or so for the education and exams alone is a ballpark figure commonly mentioned - I might get by with 1500 when it's all over since I ride a lot with my amateur instructor who's a friend and works for the love of riding more or less, also I do the theory studies on my own, lots of people buy classroom time for that. I pay about a dollar a minute to be out on the track on the CB600 and I figure I'll need about four more hours of that. I haven't even been on a street ride with a professional instructor yet, but I figure I'll need a couple of those sessions as well.