Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Target doing a Tron exclusive (pre-order, December)

https://www.target.com/p/various-ar...gt_adv_xasd0002

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Oh, gently caress, thank you for posting that! I was a depressed senior in high school when that movie came out, but one of my favorite memories from that year was seeing Tron Legacy in an Imax theater on a day trip to San Francisco. That soundtrack coming from the theater's surround sound was transcendent.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

it's a great movie. Bit too much word building for a sequel we will probably never see, but ah well. Love that it gave us more Daft Punk.

i'm also kinda shocked @ $25??

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Barry posted:

It's generally advantageous for a record store to sell as many records as possible and I have to figure they're going to sell 100 copies of boring dad rock for every one copy of Lydia Lunch so yeah, I can see why they'd advertise that they have boring dad rock.

e: Although I'll allow that the only people actually watching some Facebook video about recent arrivals at a record store is probably going to skew much more heavily towards Lydia Lunch listeners

I guess maybe I'm expecting that people who want to go to a record store are going to be record store people and the people who want all the square poo poo are getting it from Target or Walmart.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Target doing a Tron exclusive (pre-order, December)

https://www.target.com/p/various-ar...gt_adv_xasd0002

I wonder how many times they're going to reissue this album before someone decides it should just be kept in print.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I downloaded the discogs app to hopefully use that barcode scanner to log all my poo poo so I stop forgetting if I have something when I’m browsing a shop. There is a tab with like the most wishlisted albums and it was all like dark side of the moon and rumors. You can just buy those dude! They aren’t in short supply!

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

CPL593H posted:

I guess maybe I'm expecting that people who want to go to a record store are going to be record store people and the people who want all the square poo poo are getting it from Target or Walmart.

Thankfully, I'm both. :D I buy plenty of new stuff, but I fuckin' love going into our local place and raiding the country/bluegrass section, then walking out with an armload of musty old $3 albums.

Speaking of, I'll be posting my latest used records haul later on tonight. :)

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Stan Taylor posted:

I downloaded the discogs app to hopefully use that barcode scanner to log all my poo poo so I stop forgetting if I have something when I’m browsing a shop. There is a tab with like the most wishlisted albums and it was all like dark side of the moon and rumors. You can just buy those dude! They aren’t in short supply!

Oh man -- I didn't realize there was a barcode scanner. Here I am typing in the names of my albums and then at times making wild guesses about which particular version it is. This will make things easier.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Yeah I had done that for a few. I’m not sure how reliable the scanner is. Finding the exact pressing is so annoying.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

McCoy Pauley posted:

Oh man -- I didn't realize there was a barcode scanner. Here I am typing in the names of my albums and then at times making wild guesses about which particular version it is. This will make things easier.

sometimes it just doesn’t work and I don’t know why. And obviously it doesn’t work for anything older than like 1982.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

yea the barcode is a neat feature, but inputting the run-outs (while taking more time) is the best way to get the most accurate result.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Lol if your vinyl is new enough to have a barcode.

I kid. I kid.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I forgot to mention something about that record store.

A bunch of his newly stocked items are Garth Brooks records.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Folks... it's real.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I also need a way to figure out how to cross reference with my dad’s collection. He had an immaculate copy of Kate Bush’s The Dreaming that I only found out about a week after I bought my own copy from a local place. So now I have two of those.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Hahaha just noticed the forum title. Starting to feel some FOMO... I was actually super into Garth as a kid and had all those CDs (I believe even a couple on cassette). It might've been worth it to travel down memory lane, but I suspect the nostalgia would wear pretty quickly and I'm actually trying to prune my stacks. I can't imagine a lot of occasions where throwing on a few songs from spotify wouldn't scratch the Garth itch (oh god that phrasing is horrible).

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
All of you with your Garth albums are psychos, I love it.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CaptainBeefart posted:

Folks... it's real.

:sickos:

Mine hasn't even shipped yet, but considering it was 115 degrees yesterday, I'm fine waiting.

Hot Diggity! posted:

All of you with your Garth albums are psychos, I love it.
I'm gonna have to go back and count how many of us did this and calculate just how many Garth Brooks LPs total we all took down. I think there were at least 10 of us and that's 210 dang records.

420 if you count the CDs. :okpos:

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

caligulamprey posted:

:sickos:

Mine hasn't even shipped yet, but considering it was 115 degrees yesterday, I'm fine waiting.

I'm gonna have to go back and count how many of us did this and calculate just how many Garth Brooks LPs total we all took down. I think there were at least 10 of us and that's 210 dang records.

420 if you count the CDs. :okpos:

This is the current package status according to Amazon lol:

The box was pretty drat hot, hoping they didn't warp too badly.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
The only nice looking LPs I buy are Italians Do It Better stuff so here’s my most recent thing from them.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Aaaand some non idib stuff to prove I’m not just an embarrassing shill. I haven’t had the money to buy anything that interesting. I got the needle juice one because it was pretty and I’m pretty sure it’s just forty minutes of raindrop noises based off my one listen.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I would probably listen to Controversy a lot more if I didn’t also have Dirty Mind which is for my money the best prince album by a couple lengths. Transference is amazing though, cannot imagine for the life of me why people were disappointed in it

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

What are Italians doing better? OH GOD, WHAT ARE THEY DOING BETTER?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

CPL593H posted:

Releasing records on time and packaged fairly well. I was a huge fan of the label for awhile there and they were perhaps the best of the labels in the 2000’s when it came to quality of pressings, customer service and prices were like $20 for a double LP.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Aaaand some non idib stuff to prove I’m not just an embarrassing shill. I haven’t had the money to buy anything that interesting. I got the needle juice one because it was pretty and I’m pretty sure it’s just forty minutes of raindrop noises based off my one listen.

Ooh! I'm jealous.

As promised, here's part one of 2 in my latest record store run:

Kris, Willie, Dolly, and Brenda (1982)

Conway Twitty (1982)

Ennio Morricone movie soundtrack (1988)

Soundtrack from War and Peace, starring Audrey Hepburn (~1956 but this version could be newer)

Soundtrack from Dames at Sea, starring Bernadette Peters (1968)

Soundtrack to Sharky's Machine, directed by and starring Burt Reynolds (1981).
This one features "Street Life", which was used in GTA V, Better Call Saul, Venture Bros, Bob's Burgers, and Jackie Brown, as well as being sampled by the Geto Boys.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Read After Burning posted:

Soundtrack to Sharky's Machine, directed by and starring Burt Reynolds (1981).

The Cheeseburger in Paradise himself

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
:itshappening:

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

marjorie posted:

Hahaha just noticed the forum title. Starting to feel some FOMO... I was actually super into Garth as a kid and had all those CDs (I believe even a couple on cassette). It might've been worth it to travel down memory lane, but I suspect the nostalgia would wear pretty quickly and I'm actually trying to prune my stacks. I can't imagine a lot of occasions where throwing on a few songs from spotify wouldn't scratch the Garth itch (oh god that phrasing is horrible).

This is exactly how I feel about it. As huge as my nostalgia for Garth and those days is, I know this would just gather dust and take up space and I'm almost at the point where I'm going to be one in, one out because I have nowhere else I want to store records.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

CPL593H posted:

Ask Madonna

In all seriousness tho I waited for that album since October, it was maddening.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Moe_Rahn posted:

:itshappening:

:getin:

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Barry posted:

This is exactly how I feel about it. As huge as my nostalgia for Garth and those days is, I know this would just gather dust and take up space and I'm almost at the point where I'm going to be one in, one out because I have nowhere else I want to store records.

Me either, but that didn't stop me from having 21 LPs and 21 CDs arriving later today.

BIG HAT COUNTRY, WOOOOOOO!!!!

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

dorium posted:

Releasing records on time and packaged fairly well. I was a huge fan of the label for awhile there and they were perhaps the best of the labels in the 2000’s when it came to quality of pressings, customer service and prices were like $20 for a double LP.
I remember picking up Symmetry's Themes for an Imaginary Film new for, like, $18 when it came out and that's a triple LP. What does $18 even get you these days?

Oh wait...

:boom:

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Update on the discogs barcode scanner thing: it’s faster to just use the search. It doesn’t pull up the exact pressing anyway so you still have to gently caress with all that stuff. Honestly I should just make a spreadsheet on google docs. Would be easier.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Stan Taylor posted:

Update on the discogs barcode scanner thing: it’s faster to just use the search. It doesn’t pull up the exact pressing anyway so you still have to gently caress with all that stuff. Honestly I should just make a spreadsheet on google docs. Would be easier.

The barcode scanner works great. I just add whatever the first US pressing is unless it is really obvious that it is something else. I guess I don't care very much about what pressing it is. If I was to sell something online I might dig a little deeper to be more accurate but I usually just trade in records locally. And when I do trade them in I have rarely had the buyer checking what pressing unless it is something obvious or potentially rare. Last time I traded a stack of my Beatles dupes and they only checked the condition of the record.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Stan Taylor posted:

On desktop I just use the quick search for album title and choose the first one that comes up, which is usually the most popular US pressing. Don't stress too much about specific pressings unless you're selling on discogs.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

wa27 posted:

On desktop I just use the quick search for album title and choose the first one that comes up, which is usually the most popular US pressing. Don't stress too much about specific pressings unless you're selling on discogs.

Sometimes it’s very interesting what pressing it is and it’s worth digging in. Not always the case but it is sometimes.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

stealie72 posted:

Me either, but that didn't stop me from having 21 LPs and 21 CDs arriving later today.

BIG HAT COUNTRY, WOOOOOOO!!!!

How about I just cut out the middleman and buy a big black hat and talk southern? I've already got a pickup, but I can get some truck nuts at least until I can afford to customize the suspension.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Hell yeah new Black Dice: https://black-dice.bandcamp.com/album/mod-prog-sic

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

petit choux posted:

How about I just cut out the middleman and buy a big black hat and talk southern? I've already got a pickup, but I can get some truck nuts at least until I can afford to customize the suspension.
Can you write the sequel to The Thunder Rolls? :colbert:

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

stealie72 posted:

Can you write the sequel to The Thunder Rolls? :colbert:

Stylistically I was thinking of sort of a Hank Williams Jr. by way of Huey Lewis & the News.

ED: You know, kind of upbeat and peppy.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jun 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

petit choux posted:

Stylistically I was thinking of sort of a Hank Williams Jr. by way of Huey Lewis & the News.

ED: You know, kind of upbeat and peppy.

NGL, would listen to this all the way through at least once.

All my rowdy friends have settled down in the vein of hip to be square, for example.