Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Good god drat I found a cable that works. Alright, I can confirm, this Akai MPK249 is amazing. It's everything I wanted it to be. Aftertouch feels -great- on it, just play a little more into the key - not like the awkward, high-pressure lever action on the Oxygen Pro 49 that required a lot of care to use (to get enough force to overcome the resistance would usually smash it to at least like 80+, hard to be precise with aftertouch on it IMO - not so with the MPK249).

The knobs and faders feel great, so sturdy - even the buttons, seriously, the buttons have a great feel to them that isn't like the "cheap plastic clicky" feel of the Oxygen Pro 49's, and they feel like they super "fit" exactly into their recess without side-to-side wiggle at all, again unlike the M-Audio. Pads are well above any of the other units I've had in, which makes sense I guess given Akai's history. The keybed on the one I tried at Guitar Center was as I suspected completely abused by years of having been a GC demo unit; this is a great feeling keybed. More synth action feeling than I expected going in (but the semi-weighted part is very real) and it turns out I like it, feels great to play and has good dynamics (plus, drat, you can really customize the velocity curves on this thing, way more granular in a lot of its adjustment capabilities than other units I have used personally).

Though I am using Reaper, setting it to Generic mode most of the DAW controls just work so that's really cool too. Still gotta work on a few of them and maybe get some scripts going but I will have time to get it all customized and set up. I use a Nanokontrol 2 in Mackie mode with a custom Mackie mode thing for Reaper that makes it work without have to mess with it, so I'll probably just keep using that as my transport controls but still be glad that I can work my DAW's stuff from the MPK249 too, used it some last night and it was handy to not have to reach for the mouse or even disrupt my flow too much.

Very pleased, I'm gonna make cool music with this this year.

Thank you all very much for the well wishes, I will make sure to update when we're all better. Really, thank y'all.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jun 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

NonzeroCircle posted:

I don't know how kosher it is to post here but Archive.org has a repository of 90s sample CDs including all the Jungle Warfares, X static goldmines etc etc and a whole bunch of out of print stuff. Zero G themselves have basically gone "nope we won't be resurrecting those even though people still want them" and X Static were pushing their luck as it is.
I happened across it whilst looking for stuff to mash about in Renoise and its raising some weird emotions in me.
I had long given up finding Jungle Warfare and the Datafiles (only been looking 15 years aka nearly half my life) let alone the other things here.
Anyway, if anyone is as sad as me and wants obsolete 90s sample CDs that are pretty much ripped "as is", Google Archive 90s Sample CDs and realise your dreams. Better late than never.

For research purposes, obviously.

Oh dang there are optigan and mellotron sample discs in here!

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

There was a demo unit reface dx on sweetwater thursday night, and I snatched it up so quick that I put the card info in wrong. Glad they called me instead of cancelling the order

e: speaking of sweetwater, they've got arturia pigments 50% off 👀

brand engager fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jun 27, 2021

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Possibly weird question, following my 90s sample pack odessy.

So, Zero G/X Static stuff (and their successors Vengeance for the millennium) have quite a few...legally naughty samples, right? Might get stung if you use them. Not certain, but maybe.

Question is, i dig out my Loopmasters Ray Keith and that has a bunch of stuff based on these same breaks. There's Thinks and Amens and Soul Prides, all that good stuff, chopped and resequenced but very much those classic sounds, even down to the titles.
But how come this is ok?
... Is it OK?

It feels like early 90s drum machines that somehow had verrrrrrry similar sounds across them (Cheetah definitely springs to mind as having same sounds as HR/SR16 and Boss DD series).

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

NonzeroCircle posted:

Possibly weird question, following my 90s sample pack odessy.

So, Zero G/X Static stuff (and their successors Vengeance for the millennium) have quite a few...legally naughty samples, right? Might get stung if you use them. Not certain, but maybe.

Question is, i dig out my Loopmasters Ray Keith and that has a bunch of stuff based on these same breaks. There's Thinks and Amens and Soul Prides, all that good stuff, chopped and resequenced but very much those classic sounds, even down to the titles.
But how come this is ok?
... Is it OK?

It feels like early 90s drum machines that somehow had verrrrrrry similar sounds across them (Cheetah definitely springs to mind as having same sounds as HR/SR16 and Boss DD series).
According to my limited understanding of the nuances of copyright law, there needs to be a certain amount of original creativity in the work, in order for it to be copyrightable. Vague memories of legal eagle tells me that percussive patterns, beats alone, do not qualify for that protection. And it's a huge can of worms litigating how much of a melody needs to be copied before it breaks copyright.

It's complicated, and still to be fully determined.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Realistically, I'm never just gonna mash a bunch of samples from anything together and call it a song, other than chopping breaks up.

Whilst I love old sample CDs like the ones I mentioned up thread, I wouldnt use anything off them in a particularly straight manner cos it's been done before (The Roller off one of the Jungle Warfares, for example, IS "Firestarter" and has been used so iconically that anything using it will inevitably be seen as that. Its not like say, the Amen that's been used everywhere).
I really do dislike the current trend towards sample packs being a pile of stems.
I get that has its use as "mixing practice" or whatever but it also fulfills the cliche of all 'sampled' music being pre-done.
I'll have 500mb of random poo poo loops and uncategorized one shots over 3gb of perfect stems any day.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

NonzeroCircle posted:

Realistically, I'm never just gonna mash a bunch of samples from anything together and call it a song, other than chopping breaks up.

Whilst I love old sample CDs like the ones I mentioned up thread, I wouldnt use anything off them in a particularly straight manner cos it's been done before (The Roller off one of the Jungle Warfares, for example, IS "Firestarter" and has been used so iconically that anything using it will inevitably be seen as that. Its not like say, the Amen that's been used everywhere).
I really do dislike the current trend towards sample packs being a pile of stems.
I get that has its use as "mixing practice" or whatever but it also fulfills the cliche of all 'sampled' music being pre-done.
I'll have 500mb of random poo poo loops and uncategorized one shots over 3gb of perfect stems any day.

look at this goon who's better than moby

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

NonzeroCircle posted:

(The Roller off one of the Jungle Warfares, for example, IS "Firestarter"

Found this on YouTube...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbraE1J_qXQ

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

I may have been unclear, I meant Firestarter used that beat so well that it feels like anything else will pale to it, not that Zero G stole that one :)

Also, samples are cool and I play around with them a lot, I just couldn't pick a bunch of loops from a sample pack, layer/arrange them with no tweaking and call it done.
Likewise, presets are fine by me, I'll find one I like and unpick it or mess around with it to fit what I'm doing. But if the preset works as is, that's cool too.

Moby was never really my thing- I can appreciate what he was doing but I don't really like it that much.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

petit choux posted:

Well if I first heard them on a Deca Dance compilation in 2000, then. I wasn't even into electronic music back then, with the exception of that CD set, which I still think is outstanding. But what software were they using back then anyway? Reason?

Sorry for sending you to this place but read here:
https://gearspace.com/board/dj-techniques-amp-dancefloor-music-production/616018-questions-those-who-produced-dance-trance-late-90s.html

Ignore anyone waffling about samplers, because an S3000 doesn't sound sufficiently different from Kontakt to be worth the hassle. It's really more about the limitations; you couldn't have a chain of a dozen effects on each channel like you can have now and in lots of cases people were using internal effects on their synths. This forced you to pick and choose or to be creative and patient (and in most cases both).

You also didn't have tons of automation, which means you mostly get simple fades/manual tweaks.

Software started to get traction later than that, really, so Logic/Cubase + MIDI interface + a bunch of hardware synths.

In the 00s you dreamt of having a JP8000 and a Virus B. Vengeance samples would've been absolutely killers back then; people just re-sampled their samplers (if necessary through the desk) with the effects on to get a punchy kick. This would also mean freeing up the effects again for different usage.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

i’m not saying you can’t recreate the sound of late 80s akai samplers with modern stuff, but i really wouldn’t use kontakt for that

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Kontakt is no fun to use and I effectively use it as a rompler.

TAL Sampler, Ableton's Sampler amd Simpler - all better and actually fun.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
It’s why I’ll keep the MPC1k around forever, it’s fast enough, modernish data storage. A wild fantasy of power/capabilities compared to the old boat anchors but nothing compared to Reason on cheap laptop. Pretty easy to self-impose limitations, great crap FX, resampling, cheap cheap cheap.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

like akai S2000s modded with usb floppy emulation goes for around 200€ all the time and while that’s not as easy to work with as an MPC it still has that very distinctive crunch and the good-bad effects, filters and time stretch algorithm

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

watho posted:

like akai S2000s modded with usb floppy emulation goes for around 200€ all the time and while that’s not as easy to work with as an MPC it still has that very distinctive crunch and the good-bad effects, filters and time stretch algorithm

As a former owner of a S2000, unless you're looking for "that" sound (crunchy but beefy downsampling), almost any other sampler would be more fun to use. Akaizer does authentic timestretch for free. Towards the end all I used it for was playing akai-format sample CDs (try finding a working one, after finding a compatible, working external SCSI CD-ROM drive) with pianos and stuff like a rompler.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

i’ve never gotten akaizer to sound like i want it to but it’s been a while since i gave it a serious try

e: oh right the sound is on par i just couldn’t gently caress with the interface. again it’s been a while since i tried to use it

watho fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jun 28, 2021

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Sorry if I missed mention of it but I just noticed Elektron finally released the power handle attachment for the Model:Samples and Cycles. $50. I’ll probably grab one, I’d love to be able to jam with my Samples wherever and whenever.

https://www.elektron.se/accessories/power-handle-bp-1/

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Sorry if I missed mention of it but I just noticed Elektron finally released the power handle attachment for the Model:Samples and Cycles. $50. I’ll probably grab one, I’d love to be able to jam with my Samples wherever and whenever.

https://www.elektron.se/accessories/power-handle-bp-1/

I haven't used one (and actually haven't used a M:S or M:C either), but I noticed that shortly after it was released a number of people in the subreddit on Elektron seemed pretty down on the build quality and the length of charge it provided. This is entirely anecdotal, and not at all based on personal experience, but it just might be something you want read some reviews about before taking the plunge. The stuff I read made it sound like just getting some kind of 3rd party battery pack, like the things people used with the Models prior to the handle, or for DT/DNs, might be a better option.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
In the last week I've impulse bought an Akai Fire controller and semi-impulse bought a used Cobalt8M (hey, I slept on it, at least. Maybe even more than one night!). Sned halp.

Re: Akai MPC/sampler chat, I think everyone else has already hit the high points I was gonna mention, even though I'm an MPC 3000 supremacist, at least as far as the MPC holy wars go. snorch mentioned Akaizer, which is worth your time if you wanna crunch all you want (we'll make more). I upgraded my SCSI Zip drive equipped 3000 with an SD card reader, but the classic MPC thing is really a whole workflow lifestyle (even outside of or entirely ignoring it as a sampler per se) than any magic, I don't use it for everything. The sound of MPC chopped up samples is easy enough to get other ways.

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004
The Akai S612 is real nice too for a dirt simple one shot sampler- you get the 12 bit grit and also front panel sliders for start and end of sample/loop. All samplers should have this!

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

a loathsome bird posted:

The Akai S612 is real nice too for a dirt simple one shot sampler- you get the 12 bit grit and also front panel sliders for start and end of sample/loop. All samplers should have this!

drat that ad owns

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Got that reface dx in today and it's way easier to change settings than I was expecting

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Nice. I’m still in the patch design phase with mine. But I’m out of town this week so

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

any of those teenage engineering POs let you make a quick simple drum beat? sometimes when i’m on my walks i’ll get an idea and i won’t remember it when i get home. though i guess i could always beat box into my phone’s mic

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

po-32 tonic is the drum machine, but you cant record over the sounds without a computer

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
There’s the rhythm (prefab drum sounds) the tonic (customizable drum sounds) and the KO (sampler) that would all be good for that. You mention beatboxing so maybe go for the KO cause it has a mic you can talk into or you can run line in to. It has like eight banks for 16 drum sound per. Really fun little device.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

any of those teenage engineering POs let you make a quick simple drum beat? sometimes when i’m on my walks i’ll get an idea and i won’t remember it when i get home. though i guess i could always beat box into my phone’s mic

Yeah this is the way. If you have an iPhone check out Reason Mobile, it's pretty much designed around being an on-the-go sketchpad. Also Apple's music notes (get it?) app is pretty great, and has a built-in automagic rhythm section that can figure out your wonderwall chords.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

i’ll be eating instant ramen for the rest of the month but well worth it

https://twitter.com/all_caps_rin/status/1410969389025968135?s=21

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

watho posted:

Very nice booping machine

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

watho posted:

Wow, the screen looks like a tracker! What is that baby? Oooohh, a Polyend Tracker.

Yeah, I want one.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

watho posted:

It looks cool as gently caress, but what's the advantage of using a device like this over a laptop running Renoise?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Same reason anyone buys any other groovebox, being creative inside a restricted tool.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

im_sorry posted:

It looks cool as gently caress, but what's the advantage of using a device like this over a laptop running Renoise?

like there’s definitely a case to be made for the workflow and the hands on control it offers but it’s mostly what xzzy said. hardware will never be as cost effective as a computer and i’m not one of those “dawless 4 ever” freaks but it’s just really nice to have like an instrument to play if that makes sense?

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

the only reason to do hardware anything in 2021 is interface/workflow. Granted its a really really good reason

maybe the efficiency of analog function generators vs dacs but dc coupling unsold me on that one (now its kind of an interface argument again)

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
It's not a bad groovebox for $600, to me it seems a lot like an MPC with a different sequencing interface. The benefit of hardware in this case is having something that "just works", that's all.

SuperiorToaster
Jul 22, 2004
Inferior
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPGYmsAxU9k

some SOMA labs harmonic drones

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
is there a website that overdubs youtube videos? because I want to replace blue monday in the last ken "hiwatt" marshal video with, like, baby shark but I don't really want to open vegas to do it

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
lol I knew there was a roland system whatever in the video for electric barbarella, there's also a shot of nick rhoades holding a pma-5

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Bitwig's a hundred off; should I jump in? Figure it'd be neat for generative stuff...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Tayter Swift posted:

Bitwig's a hundred off; should I jump in? Figure it'd be neat for generative stuff...

That's how they got me. Fired up the demo, made generative stuff in the grid, wanted to save it, had to buy it.