Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Ten-ride pass on the High-Speed Rail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

drat I should've stopped paying my rent when I got laid off in February! Would be in less of a tight situation now. Glad other people who are in more difficult situations than I am will benefit though :)

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

gently caress SNEEP posted:

I should've stopped paying my rent

Yes, everyone should have. Every single tenant. But no, solidarity is a four letter word.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

I missed out on rent bailouts but maybe I'll go to grad school so I can make sure I max out any possible student loan bailouts.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

While I wouldn't object to a proposal that included some sort of partial payback for those who've paid off their student loans I see it as a basic form of justice and advocacy support fixes for hosed up poo poo going forward - even if it doesn't apply to me.

I suffered unfixable harm from student loans to my career and life decisions and i don't want others to experience that.

I've gotten dozens of boomer fucks drop that "but wouldn't you feel green eyed burning hatred at anyone who got something you couldn't get????!" And the answer is "no, I'm not like you you weirdo."

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

El Mero Mero posted:

I suffered unfixable harm from student loans to my career and life decisions and i don't want others to experience that.

I've gotten dozens of boomer fucks drop that "but wouldn't you feel green eyed burning hatred at anyone who got something you couldn't get????!" And the answer is "no, I'm not like you you weirdo."
Yeah I had a similar discussion with a coworker.

"Hey but they *signed* a *contract*. They knew what they were getting into"
:3: OK but they were like 18 at the time and do you really think they had an adequate grasp of what it meant other than 'pay for school with this', much less the promise of awesome jobs evaporating and leaving them to work at Starbucks? Plus look at how many folks change their majors and minors, it'd be like telling them to stay on a Pre-Med track because that's what their app said.'

"OK but what about the people that already paid them off?"
:3: I'm 40 and I'm just finishing my loan payoffs this year. I'd gladly see that no one has the same kind of dread or misery paying back poo poo that should be free to begin with. If anyone's so concerned about people like that, toss them a tax credit for X years or something!'

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Why don't the people who got nothing agitate for their slice of the pie instead of trying to pull crabs back into the bucket

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
That's too much work.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Disneyland got rid of their pass program. :smith:

They're reworking it.

To be worse, yes, but it's coming back.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

El Mero Mero posted:

While I wouldn't object to a proposal that included some sort of partial payback for those who've paid off their student loans I see it as a basic form of justice and advocacy support fixes for hosed up poo poo going forward - even if it doesn't apply to me.

It's like the company that raised their minimum wage to like 70k and all the programmers rioted because janitors and secretaries were making the same as them. We live in a poisoned, broken society. People would rather be worse off so long as there was someone even worse than them. They don't want to be lifted up together.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Tuxedo Gin posted:

It's like the company that raised their minimum wage to like 70k and all the programmers rioted because janitors and secretaries were making the same as them.

Source on that?

Because it sounds like you made that up. Their revenues's going up like double and they're expanding.

The only people rioting were business pundits on cable who were crying about their margins and dividends and making wrong predictions about how the company would do.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Jaxyon posted:

Source on that?

Because it sounds like you made that up. Their revenues's going up like double and they're expanding.

The only people rioting were business pundits on cable who were crying about their margins and dividends and making wrong predictions about how the company would do.

Yes, the company is doing great, as it should. They still had people quit and take to the media when it first happened, for the reasons I gave. It's just that now the success has drowned out their idiotic selfish protests. But you're right, I was wrong about it being programmers and it was fewer people than I remembered.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/02/business/a-company-copes-with-backlash-against-the-raise-that-roared.html

EDIT: And the mindset is demonstrable and widespread, as evident by the people now bitching about having paid their rent and others getting it covered. Or the people who bitch about how they paid off their loans when the idea of loan forgiveness is brought up. Or the entire right wing poor that consistently votes against their interests as long as somebody else is hurt more than them. I'm having trouble finding the research on this at the moment but I've read papers on it. There will always be people who would rather be worse off themselves so long as somebody else has it even shittier, as opposed to equality for all.

Tuxedo Gin fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jun 23, 2021

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Yes, the company is doing great, as it should. They still had people quit and take to the media when it first happened, for the reasons I gave. It's just that now the success has drowned out their idiotic selfish protests. But you're right, I was wrong about it being programmers and it was fewer people than I remembered.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/02/business/a-company-copes-with-backlash-against-the-raise-that-roared.html

EDIT: And the mindset is demonstrable and widespread, as evident by the people now bitching about having paid their rent and others getting it covered. Or the people who bitch about how they paid off their loans when the idea of loan forgiveness is brought up. Or the entire right wing poor that consistently votes against their interests as long as somebody else is hurt more than them. I'm having trouble finding the research on this at the moment but I've read papers on it. There will always be people who would rather be worse off themselves so long as somebody else has it even shittier, as opposed to equality for all.

Yes people crab-barrel but it looks like that article was desperate to try and find some internal strife in that story and almost zero people at that company had any issues at all.

It's a problem when you said "hey remember when this happened" and it turns out that actually didn't happen.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Jaxyon posted:

Yes people crab-barrel but it looks like that article was desperate to try and find some internal strife in that story and almost zero people at that company had any issues at all.

It's a problem when you said "hey remember when this happened" and it turns out that actually didn't happen.

Sure, which is exactly why I said "you're right".

The existence of such people was my point. There will always be people fighting against progress because they want to see others have it worse than they do, even if it means hurting themselves in the process.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Sure, which is exactly why I said "you're right".

The existence of such people was my point. There will always be people fighting against progress because they want to see others have it worse than they do, even if it means hurting themselves in the process.

My issue is that you agreeing that your supporting data was complete bullshit didn't stop you at all from continuing to make the argument you're making.

"Some people will complain" isn't a useful point. Some people will complain about anything.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Jaxyon posted:

My issue is that you agreeing that your supporting data was complete bullshit didn't stop you at all from continuing to make the argument you're making.

"Some people will complain" isn't a useful point. Some people will complain about anything.

My dude. I already admitted I was wrong. It was not supporting data. It was an offhanded comment that there will always be rotten apples who try to spoil any kind of social progress even when it is in their best interest to support it. I'm not making an argument about that. In fact, we seem to agree. Some people will complain about anything. But, we do disagree on the usefulness of the point and I will argue that. Because the people who complain about social programs wield an unequal amount of power in our country and their voices add up to crush the social programs we so desperately need. Ignoring them or chalking it up to "some people will always complain" is not useful. The people who "will complain" are the people who have fortified NIMBYism in California, propped up our lovely and inhumane prison system, and prevented any number of meaningful social and infrastructure improvements in our state. Suburban hell is built on sky high piles of such "complaints" that you disregard.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Tuxedo Gin posted:

My dude. I already admitted I was wrong. It was not supporting data. It was an offhanded comment that there will always be rotten apples who try to spoil any kind of social progress even when it is in their best interest to support it. I'm not making an argument about that. In fact, we seem to agree. Some people will complain about anything. But, we do disagree on the usefulness of the point and I will argue that. Because the people who complain about social programs wield an unequal amount of power in our country and their voices add up to crush the social programs we so desperately need. Ignoring them or chalking it up to "some people will always complain" is not useful. The people who "will complain" are the people who have fortified NIMBYism in California, propped up our lovely and inhumane prison system, and prevented any number of meaningful social and infrastructure improvements in our state. Suburban hell is built on sky high piles of such "complaints" that you disregard.

Then use THOSE examples and THAT argument instead of saying "well I was wrong but I'm still right".

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Is anyone voting in the special election for Rob Bonta's replacement? That's actually pretty cool that he became AG, he seemed like a solid representative. Does anyone have a recommendation for the election?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Something about this feels like a trap. I wonder why. :v:

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Sundae posted:

Something about this feels like a trap. I wonder why. :v:

It's a cookbook!

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/sfchronicle/status/1408474546747973633

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Overall good, but it should be better. People that used to make median wages before capitalism collapsed during covid and lost their job are out of luck if they didn't qualify for state aid programs after emptying their savings to survive, because they're expected to be able to get a job now and backpay 12-18 months of debt? There better not be any surplus left after this means testing. Or am I crabbing on their behalf

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
Well I think my loving lucky stars I live in California as opposed to literally anywhere else in the United States pretty much.

(I'm not from here I lived in Washington till I was 40 was on the East Coast for 6 years in Massachusetts)

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
My company is sending emails saying "it is our policy to not inquire about vaccination status and we must all respect each other's opinions about vaccines" while my entire office is just like "gently caress yeah I'm vaccinated I'm not a moron".

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2021-06-25/newsom-lawmakers-agreement-spending-california-budget-tax-windfall

Budget agreement has been reached, it's big $262 Billion. Looks like the second round of CA stimulus checks are are going out if you made under 75k last year, Old age medi-cal extended to undocumented people over 50, $12 billion to house the homeless, and universal public TK (for 4 year olds)

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

no hay camino posted:

Is anyone voting in the special election for Rob Bonta's replacement? That's actually pretty cool that he became AG, he seemed like a solid representative. Does anyone have a recommendation for the election?

gently caress knows what turnout is, but Bonta's wife managed to raise 500k for the campaign (plus all the dem machine endorsements), versus Ramachandran at some 10s of k, and Malia Vella like lol ~3k or smth

the progressives will split themselves between several candidates running different ineffective lanes and the machine will win. god grant us ranked choice voting for state offices soon.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

withak posted:

My company is sending emails saying "it is our policy to not inquire about vaccination status and we must all respect each other's opinions about vaccines" while my entire office is just like "gently caress yeah I'm vaccinated I'm not a moron".

Mine gives you PTO if you upload a picture of your vaccination card.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Golden state bux are coming.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

The Glumslinger posted:

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2021-06-25/newsom-lawmakers-agreement-spending-california-budget-tax-windfall

Budget agreement has been reached, it's big $262 Billion. Looks like the second round of CA stimulus checks are are going out if you made under 75k last year, Old age medi-cal extended to undocumented people over 50, $12 billion to house the homeless, and universal public TK (for 4 year olds)

How much for police? Lol

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

The Glumslinger posted:

it doesn't look like there's a phase-out over $75k either and I made like...$76k last year so rip

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
How guilty should I feel whenever I fill my son’s cheap plastic pool? I cover it and the water is usually good for three sessions, but in my mind I’m absolutely killing someone by using water for bullshit in a drought. I’m an LA county resident.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Alec Eiffel posted:

How guilty should I feel whenever I fill my son’s cheap plastic pool? I cover it and the water is usually good for three sessions, but in my mind I’m absolutely killing someone by using water for bullshit in a drought. I’m an LA county resident.
no guilts given.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
In the time it takes you to fill a kiddy pool California Agri-business has consumed several orders of magnitude more to water cash crops like almonds, rice, and alfalfa. Nestle has also sucked up several orders of magnitude more to stick in plastic bottles and try to sell to you at a markup during the drought. Both will fight kicking and screaming to the last possible breath to prevent the state from even marginally reducing their consumption.

Like is a kiddy pool the absolute most efficient use of water? No, but it sounds like you're approaching it in a responsible manner and you really should not feel guilty over a drop in a bucket that itself is a drop in a much larger bucket, which is then again a drop in an even loving bigger bucket.

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
What you should really feel guilty about is the standing water potentially proving a breeding ground for mosquitos

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Alec Eiffel posted:

I'm very eco-aware, and I would consider that to be a totally reasonable and socially-responsible use of water. A lawn sprinkler uses about 4,000L of water per hour, whereas filling a normal kiddie pool to the brim would take about 1,000L. So I would see it in those terms. And that's before considering that only about 10% of Californian water is used residentially.

Something Else posted:

What you should really feel guilty about is the standing water potentially proving a breeding ground for mosquitos

Mosquitoes need at least two weeks to breed on standing water.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Most water use in California is for Ag business, and the Ag business doesn't construct itself around water use as it's highest priority. You are way down the list for irresponsible water usage

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Sydin posted:

In the time it takes you to fill a kiddy pool California Agri-business has consumed several orders of magnitude more to water cash crops like almonds, rice, and alfalfa. Nestle has also sucked up several orders of magnitude more to stick in plastic bottles and try to sell to you at a markup during the drought. Both will fight kicking and screaming to the last possible breath to prevent the state from even marginally reducing their consumption.

Every single word of this. The problem is NOT individual consumption. The corporations would really love for you to think "Oh, I brush my teeth with the water on, it's me". Nope.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
The amount of water ag uses is absolutely mind boggling.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
There's one couple farming almonds in northern California who uses more water than all of LA.

They're a big corporate business but that's just them alone. That's not even the entire almond industry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Every acre of almonds grown consumes roughly 4.48 acre feet, or 1.46 million gallons of water per growing season. There were roughly 1.6 Million acres of almonds planted in California as of 2020, which would put total water usage per growing season at 2.3 TRILLION GALLONS. And that's just almonds, California grows a shitload of water intensive crop and also supports a huge volume of pasture land for raising cattle, which also sucks up huge quantities of water.