Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Zero VGS posted:

Speaking of, I want to settle an argument. If I got a laser so powerful that I could project an image of a giant dong onto the moon, can anyone take legal action?

I would think you might be liable to everyone in your hemisphere for a Public Nuisance claim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

blarzgh posted:

I would think you might be liable to everyone in your hemisphere for a Public Nuisance claim

there would probably be jurisdictional issues

more importantly, I suspect such a powerful laser would violate 21 CFR 1040.10 et seq., and possibly 18 USC 2, § 39A.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
The fact that you pay taxes on whatever property you “own” else you lose it is evidence that ownership is an illusion

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

more importantly, I suspect such a powerful laser would violate 21 CFR 1040.10 et seq., and possibly 18 USC 2, § 39A.

This is the best thread

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The power to tax is the power to destroy !!!!! :black101:

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

Zero VGS posted:

Speaking of, I want to settle an argument. If I got a laser so powerful that I could project an image of a giant dong onto the moon, can anyone take legal action?

A plane would fly through the laser and that's probably when the feds would come for you.

Edit; Hieronymous Alloy beat me to it but he said it in the nerd way so I didn't understand

CongoJack fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jun 30, 2021

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Honestly you’d be stopped in the “buying the materials” stage

You’d never be able to draw the power from the grid either

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Probably easier to get a permit from the NRC and generate your own.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

CongoJack posted:

A plane would fly through the laser and that's probably when the feds would come for you.
Laser with the focus at the moon is going to necessarily have a large beam width at earth, so that maybe doesn't matter (lasers don't actually go in straight lines).

e: envelope math says that you can't get an acceptably small divergence with current mirror/lens quality, even if you put the source in near-earth orbit.

Atmosphere turbulence limits you to ~10 mrad. Optics manufacturing limits you to ~1 mrad (and they will also have to be unrealistically large for power levels + diffraction limit).

tan(0.001rad) * 240000 miles => 240 mile spot size, which is maybe workable but pen is ~10% of moons diameter
tan(0.010rad) * 240000 miles => 2400 mile spot size, which is way too big to draw a dick on a 2160 mi diameter moon

Foxfire_ fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jun 30, 2021

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Phil Moscowitz posted:

The fact that you pay taxes on whatever property you “own” else you lose it is evidence that ownership is an illusion

I don't think you pay taxes if you buy some islands or maybe an off-shore rig. The Principality of LaserDong

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Zero VGS posted:

The size of the moon as viewed with the naked eye is about the same as 60 pixels on your screen.

Which means if it was your dong, we would still need binoculars to find it lmaoooo

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

If jurisdiction lies where the harm is felt, thats just concurrent jurisdiction with Everyone. If its where the act occurs, then its where your laser is. Its the defendant's fault they've subjected themselves to 3.5 billion separate claims in every jurisdiciton in the western hemisphere, thats not a bar to suit

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Nice piece of fish posted:

The size of the moon as viewed with the naked eye is about the same as 60 pixels on your screen.

Which means if it was your dong, we would still need binoculars to find it lmaoooo

We’d have to call in an expert dong finder then - is your mom available?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

FrozenVent posted:

We’d have to call in an expert dong finder then - is your mom available?

Why don't you get off my mom I just got yours... off? Yeah.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
OPs mom is an astronaut

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Foxfire_ posted:

Laser with the focus at the moon is going to necessarily have a large beam width at earth, so that maybe doesn't matter (lasers don't actually go in straight lines).

e: envelope math says that you can't get an acceptably small divergence with current mirror/lens quality, even if you put the source in near-earth orbit.

Atmosphere turbulence limits you to ~10 mrad. Optics manufacturing limits you to ~1 mrad (and they will also have to be unrealistically large for power levels + diffraction limit).

tan(0.001rad) * 240000 miles => 240 mile spot size, which is maybe workable but pen is ~10% of moons diameter
tan(0.010rad) * 240000 miles => 2400 mile spot size, which is way too big to draw a dick on a 2160 mi diameter moon

What about if you used a large number of smaller lasers?

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

blarzgh posted:

If jurisdiction lies where the harm is felt, thats just concurrent jurisdiction with Everyone. If its where the act occurs, then its where your laser is. Its the defendant's fault they've subjected themselves to 3.5 billion separate claims in every jurisdiciton in the western hemisphere, thats not a bar to suit

It's actually not a geographic analysis when we're dealing with space. Jurisdictionally, the Outer Space Treaty vests responsibility for the actions in or affecting the Moon or other celestial bodies by a national of any State in that State, no matter what those actions are or where they're done. The thought being that, since the majority of these actions happen in space, which is legally either something like the high seas or terra nullis (an interesting theoretical debate but of no import here), you just follow the nationality of the actors.

So, under the assumptions that you're a US national and that projecting a giant dong on the Moon violates Article IX, OST, the US would be liable under international law for whatever the damages are.

Jean-Paul Shartre fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jun 30, 2021

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Does the Moon have standing to bring a law suit in federal court ?

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Nope, you have to be a legal person to have standing, so it would have to be the Man in the Moon as plaintiff.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Moon, Inc.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

you will either be able to determine your mom's position or momentum, but not both

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

The problem is that any individual laser can't be focused to a small enough spot to reasonably draw with. Beam divergence for a laser can't be 0, it is limited in this situation by (in order of severity) atmosphere scattering / mirror quality / quantum effects

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

you will either be able to determine your mom's position or momentum, but not both

mom-position or mom-entum

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Foxfire_ posted:

The problem is that any individual laser can't be focused to a small enough spot to reasonably draw with. Beam divergence for a laser can't be 0, it is limited in this situation by (in order of severity) atmosphere scattering / mirror quality / quantum effects

Ok, so we can't carve CHA into the face of the moon. Can we project it? Just as light image?

Presumably on a new moon, not a full moon.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Ok, so we can't carve CHA into the face of the moon. Can we project it? Just as light image?

Just admit it, you want a giant dong in Uranus.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
You can't draw on Uranus it's a gas planet

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
https://youtu.be/7PLXYkyRft8

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Maybe if you had a chair for a face you could, for people with a chair for a face the rules (and laws) are different.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Nonexistence posted:

You can't draw on Uranus it's a gas planet

Uranus is full of gas?

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
I read some old science fiction story where they were going to dump carbon black on the moon to make it into a 7-Up logo bottle cap. If I recall, it was thwarted by somebody buying the rights to the moon from all the countries that the moon passes over in its orbit.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_Who_Sold_the_Moon

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah, that's the one. I note that the Tesla logo would fit the moon pretty well. :devil:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Can Cosby be re-tried, if the statement he gave under immunity wasn't admitted in a second third trial? What I'm gathering is that that statement was given under immunity and then the new prosecutor inheriting the case used it in court (and the judge erroneously allowed it), yes?

e. I see headlines saying pennsylvania supreme court barred retrial, so instead I guess I'm trying to understand why, given the agreement he had was prior to additional women making accusations; couldn't he be tried for assaulting those women, leaving aside whoever had made an accusation at the time of his grant of immunity?

e2. is it because of statutes of limitation?

e3 instead of being a lazy poo poo I'm reading the court opinion and this is the conclusion I've reached, is it basically correct?
"[J-100-2020] - 52 For the reasons detailed below, we hold that, when a prosecutor makes an unconditional promise of non-prosecution, and when the defendant relies upon that guarantee to the detriment of his constitutional right not to testify, the principle of fundamental fairness that undergirds due process of law in our criminal justice system demands that the promise be enforced."

This is a "you can't trick defendants" principle that I'm in agreement with, and returns the responsibility for this fuckup back to sit squarely on the shoulders of the prosecutor, DA Castor; however, Castor may also have been correct that, absent Cosby's confession that he'd previously given women quaaludes given under oath in the civil trial in which he believed he could not take the 5th and decline to testify, the entire criminal trial probably never would have happened; the previous women's complaints were too long ago (that's a law problem I disagree with but there it is) and Constand had already settled a civil suit in which she agreed not to testify in any subsequent criminal trial. So the state would have had no admissible evidence on which to hang a trial.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jul 1, 2021

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Leperflesh posted:

Can Cosby be re-tried, if the statement he gave under immunity wasn't admitted in a second third trial? What I'm gathering is that that statement was given under immunity and then the new prosecutor inheriting the case used it in court (and the judge erroneously allowed it), yes?

e. I see headlines saying pennsylvania supreme court barred retrial, so instead I guess I'm trying to understand why, given the agreement he had was prior to additional women making accusations; couldn't he be tried for assaulting those women, leaving aside whoever had made an accusation at the time of his grant of immunity?

e2. is it because of statutes of limitation?

No. The ruling was that because he didn't plead the fifth in his civil trial in reliance on being immune from being ever charged again, he can't be charged again. I don't agree with the ruling, but it has nothing to do with the new prosecutor using his testimony from the lawsuit.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Imagine a guy ordered a home appliance from a box store and everything appeared fine with the packaging and exterior, but later finds out during the install that it was damaged internally due to shipping. That guy contacts the box store and they say that it is out of their 90 day return period, but still within the 1 year manufacturer warranty period and tell the guy to contact the manufacturer. The manufacturer says it is a shipping problem and responsibility of the box store. If that guy wanted to take this to small claims court, how would jurisdiction be determined? Are there any other routes the guy might explore before taking it to court?

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

SkunkDuster posted:

Imagine a guy ordered a home appliance from a box store and everything appeared fine with the packaging and exterior, but later finds out during the install that it was damaged internally due to shipping. That guy contacts the box store and they say that it is out of their 90 day return period, but still within the 1 year manufacturer warranty period and tell the guy to contact the manufacturer. The manufacturer says it is a shipping problem and responsibility of the box store. If that guy wanted to take this to small claims court, how would jurisdiction be determined? Are there any other routes the guy might explore before taking it to court?

Your jurisdiction is heavily dependent on what state you are in, but chances are you can sue wear a significant amount of the events that led to the cause of action occurred, which likely includes your county/house where it was purchased, delivered, installed, and found to be defective

Depending on what you sue under, there may be statutorily required pre suit demand letters, such as under DTPA statutes

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

My preferred approach is to get reps from both groups on the phone at the same time and let them hash it out together. The logistics of such a thing vary, of course.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The outcome was bad but I always thought going back years that what the Supreme Court said was probably right on a Legal reasoning basis

The good thing about the Supreme Court is they could have ignored the case and left him in jail but they did not

(I’m pretty sure it was not a mandatory appeal)

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I'm pretty sure a judge isn't supposed to say "we can break the rules because this guy is guilty". The person to blame is that first prosecutor who made the agreement that butchered the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
How often is a decision made on "well if we approve this it means others will bring forth similar lawsuits!" because this seems dumb as hell

https://twitter.com/MMNonMeansTV/status/1410594016626982912?s=20