Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What are you feeding him? Kittens are barely eating at four weeks, you might need to bottle feed to help out. Any food you give should be extremely soft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

xzzy posted:

What are you feeding him? Kittens are barely eating at four weeks, you might need to bottle feed to help out. Any food you give should be extremely soft.

I have experience bottle feeding puppies in the past. I assume its similar?
I'm not sure what they tried to feed him.

My wife found him near her work, went to the vet, and just got home 30 minutes ago.
She went out to the pet store while I make sure my dogs don't try to break down the door or anything.

Dogs are a 50 lb 6 year old Australian Shepherd, 50 lb 8 year old lab mutt, 9 lb 11 year old pomeranian.

Only the Aussie cares so far, and not that much.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

RC Cola posted:

I have experience bottle feeding puppies in the past. I assume its similar?
I'm not sure what they tried to feed him.

My wife found him near her work, went to the vet, and just got home 30 minutes ago.
She went out to the pet store while I make sure my dogs don't try to break down the door or anything.

Dogs are a 50 lb 6 year old Australian Shepherd, 50 lb 8 year old lab mutt, 9 lb 11 year old pomeranian.

Only the Aussie cares so far, and not that much.

There's specific kitten food you can get at any pet store or even a grocery store.

The kitten is primarily terrified at the moment. Give it some time to decompress and feel safe.

Eventually you'll have to acclimate it to the dogs, but 99% of the time they get along just fine. Contrary to cartoons, cats and dogs aren't innately hostile. Once they get to know each other they can be good companions.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

RC Cola posted:

Hi cat thread. My wife found a kitten in the street.
We have 3 dogs.

The vet said he wasn't chipped, is 4 weeks old, isn't malnourished, and has cat fleas. I have never had a cat around before. What should I know?

Kitten is currently in a bathroom with the door closed while the dogs sniff through the crack. He is curled up in a blanket and won't eat or drink water.

Knowing cats he will assert dominance over all three dogs in no time and take place at the top of the food chain

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

0-5 weeks you should be bottle feeding: http://www.kittenlady.org/bottlefeeding

you're going to probably be bottle feeding every 4-6 hours for at least a week, if not two to get them acclimatized to eating, then you can start weaning http://www.kittenlady.org/weaning

Keep track of weight during weaning because that will be vital to make sure they're on the right track

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Len posted:

Knowing cats he will assert dominance over all three dogs in no time and take place at the top of the food chain

Kittens are especially adaptable too. One big thing I'd suggest is in a couple weeks get a small harness (the petsafe come with me one is my choice) and start training him in it. It'll be a lot of squirming but having a leash trained cat is a heap of fun. He'll start emulating the dogs too, which is always hilarious.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Deteriorata posted:

Once they get to know each other they can be good companions.

At the end of her time, our maine coon had stopped grooming herself but was still grooming our scotty:unsmith:

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

RC Cola posted:

Hi cat thread. My wife found a kitten in the street.
We have 3 dogs.

The vet said he wasn't chipped, is 4 weeks old, isn't malnourished, and has cat fleas. I have never had a cat around before. What should I know?

Kitten is currently in a bathroom with the door closed while the dogs sniff through the crack. He is curled up in a blanket and won't eat or drink water.

Please stop by the foster/rescue thread too. Its generally quiet but folks watch it for new posts more than this thread sometimes.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3768887

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Update. He survived his first night. He meowed a lot. I fed him and gave him water throughout the night.

He's gotten a few dawn baths, each one has left fewer flea corpses. He does not like water, but he does like trying to milk my nipples.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

xzzy posted:

Kittens are especially adaptable too. One big thing I'd suggest is in a couple weeks get a small harness (the petsafe come with me one is my choice) and start training him in it. It'll be a lot of squirming but having a leash trained cat is a heap of fun. He'll start emulating the dogs too, which is always hilarious.

Seconding this. Kittens don't know better so if there's anything you want to be able to do later, start exposing them to it now.

I'd suggest a harness, fiddling with paws/trimming nails, put in a cat carrier and car rides, getting picked up and handled, etc. Try to make it a positive experience each time where they get food or treats or play before and after each time so there's a positive association with it.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

My cat is feeling sick after her leukemia shot yesterday afternoon. She had some diarrhea, doesn’t want to eat, is walking like she’s uncomfortable when she has to but otherwise just wants to sleep. Google says that this is within the bounds of normal negative reactions. The vet didn’t warn me this time, but when I took my other cat in last week he did say the shot could have negative effects. I made her a nest in the bed and turned the lights down and she seems perfectly happy crashed out there. Anyone else have a cat react negatively?

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

oh lord my heart

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Loucks posted:

My cat is feeling sick after her leukemia shot yesterday afternoon. She had some diarrhea, doesn’t want to eat, is walking like she’s uncomfortable when she has to but otherwise just wants to sleep. Google says that this is within the bounds of normal negative reactions. The vet didn’t warn me this time, but when I took my other cat in last week he did say the shot could have negative effects. I made her a nest in the bed and turned the lights down and she seems perfectly happy crashed out there. Anyone else have a cat react negatively?

A few months back we got Domino his rabies booster and a leukemia shot (we don't know if he had ever had one and if it was it was back in 2016 when we cut his balls off)

Poor little guy started uncontrollably throwing up about an hour later. We had to take him in they gave him a shot of something and watched him for an hours gave us the vets cell number and sent us on our way. 6 hours later he still couldn't keep anything down so we called the vet who opened up and gave him another shot and he stopped throwing up and went back to his normal self a few hours later.

Edit: we did end up taking the cats to my partners mom's house. Even with a window unit on and running Monday the place was almost 90 and Bean was hiding under the couch instead of the cool kitchen. She was warm to the touch and we were concerned her walnut brain would keep her from going to the cool air.

They hate it. Both cats hid under beds but are coming out for food and water. We're going to bring them home tonight now that the weather's broke and our AC is getting fixed tomorrow morning.

Len fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jun 30, 2021

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Thanks. I’ll keep an eye on her. She seems perfectly happy to sleep, so I’ll just offer her water and wet food periodically unless she takes a turn for the worse.

At least it’s cool in the guest room where she’s sleeping.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Congrats, you're now a cat owner.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
The kitten is so cute!!!
Very big smoll energy.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Katya's been hyper focused on my hands. He's moved on to a combo of biting/licking/putting as much of my finger as possible in his mouth. I've been doing the exaggerated noises and movements when he gets too hard on me and it doesn't seem to do much. Is there anything else I can do? He's lightened up a bit with the claws but my right hand looks like I've been fisting a blackberry bush. I have been playing with him a bit and he loves wand toys, his scratching bed and the tiered ball track. He's been getting pretty cuddly but unless he's tired or eating, if I try to pet him he just wants to wrestle with my hand.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
Dip your hand in vinegar before

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

BabyFur Denny posted:

Dip your hand in vinegar before

And rub salt in the wounds. :razz:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Cat language for "you're playing too rough" is completely disengage and walk away. It's not as effective as one would like but over time it helps.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Substitute a toy for your hand immediately when he starts. Those fabric kitty kickers are great for biting.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Also be aware that it takes a long time to teach a kitten that your hands are not toys and rough play is bad and it might feel like it's not working, but it will eventually work and you will (hopefully) be rewarded with a cat who doesn't bite and scratch you the rest of their life.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I got lucky with our newest cat, she learned that biting hurts and has a great play bite. She'll cheerfully gnaw on a finger and it doesn't hurt at all.

She's bad with the claws though, especially once she gets revved up. I just have to recognize when she's getting over stimulated and disengage before I lose some blood.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Thanks for the advice! We have a big rat kicker toy that Katya loves so I try getting it to him when he gets too rough but sometimes it's not fast enough. He's not much of a hard biter, just kind of a frantic one and he switches it up with licks and trying to swallow a finger. The claws, however, are sharp and he loves to trap my hand with them.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I actually trained my cat, Jackie, to be exceptionally gentle with her claws, and it's really paid off. On the rare occasions when she does use her claws she's unbelievably skillful at keeping them retracted and never doing any real damage with them - it amazes me, really, though I play that game with her much less in her old age. The fact that she has SEVEN toes and claws on each of her front paws makes it all the more impressive.

What I did to train her not to scratch or bite hard during play was, whenever she hurt me with a scratch or a bite right away I'd YELP very loudly, and then cease play and immediately commence ignoring her for at least a good 10-15 minutes. Part of it might have been Jackie's personality, but this worked amazingly well and I didn't have to do it long, because she quickly figured out what it was I didn't want her doing.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Neighbor cat keeps coming into the house at night and eating my cat's food. Aside from buying a cat flap with a microchip detector, is there anything else I can do to stop it? I know the obvious answer is to just lock the capflat at night but I really don't like the idea of locking my cats outside (or inside). Might try locking the flap and leaving a window cracked open for them - they like jumping through my bedroom window anyway (ground floor flat).

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Frankston posted:

Neighbor cat keeps coming into the house at night and eating my cat's food. Aside from buying a cat flap with a microchip detector, is there anything else I can do to stop it? I know the obvious answer is to just lock the capflat at night but I really don't like the idea of locking my cats outside (or inside). Might try locking the flap and leaving a window cracked open for them - they like jumping through my bedroom window anyway (ground floor flat).

We keep our cats in at night, and don't have a cat door for precisely the reason you describe. I suspect the neighbor cat will find your cracked window soon enough.

Locking them in at night will be fine for them. They'll get used to it.

We feed ours a treat of some canned food about 9 PM to encourage them to come in by them. They generally do.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Yeah I've been leaning towards keeping them in at night anyway - I pretty much wake up to several dead rodents on the carpet every single morning living out here in the countryside. Spending a fortune on carpet cleaner and it's getting very old, very fast.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Oh my god...

My roommate Chad's cat Murfy - the big Savannah Cat - has been on a hunting tear including finding and murdering most of an entire den of rabbits, it seems. Mini-Scratcher, our young indoor feral cat, ate a couple of the ones whole that Murfy brought in without incident yesterday. He was beginning to eat another one when we left, but when we came home we found the laundry room (where Mini-Scratcher likes to play) looking like THIS:

That picture really doesn't do justice to how gruesome it looked - normally that room is spotlessly clean, all white and immaculate, and when we got home it looked like a goddamn scene from DEXTER :catstare: Blood stains and smears all over the floors as you can see, and the walls - he must have been flinging it around like crazy *shakes head*

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Frankston posted:

It seems like you've already ruled out all the ways of stopping it without a microchip flap, so perhaps go and get a microchip flap.

Your cats won't suffer from being kept indoors overnight.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Survived the PNW heatwave but as soon as it ended Sinjin’s stopped eating. Wednesday night I managed to coax him to eat some wet and dry food (he’s been on all wet, I only feed dry for treats). Thursday night I came home and he hadn’t touched his breakfast, there was vomit outside the litterbox (looked like Wed’s dinner) and dried poop on his butt. :(

Sent a rambling email to my vet and took him in Friday morning. They told me they’d treat his symptoms and if the problem persisted I could bring him back in for testing since he just had a routine exam & labwork 3 weeks ago. They gave him fluids and anti-nausea meds, and sent me home with an appetite stimulant, probiotics and a few cans of GI food.

So far the stimulants have gotten him to eat some food, but he’s still hesitant about eating much wet. I pounded a few Greenies into powder and sprinkled it on the GI food. He’s not really buying it but I guess eating SOME food is better than no food. ┐(‘~`;)┌

EAT AND FEEL BETTER DANG IT

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

So kitten update. One dog is scared of the kitten and keeps licking her chops. We held them apart from each other. They haven't met yet.

What do you all advise the best way to get a dog to be not afraid/ super about a kitten?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Hi everyone
Update time. I took my boys and my ex has my girls. We will visit, not the cats, barring like, a freak situation. It was one of the hardest things I ever had to do on top of an already stressful move and shout out to atarax, which is now no longer making me as sleepy so I guess that’s a thing. Anyhow, thank you for kind of making me come to my senses, have that teary breakdown, and sort myself out. I’ll see my girls on the coming week, and I want to stay in their lives, as does my ex wants to stay in the boys lives.

My boys are adjusting to the new space and new cats fairly well. There is hissing from them towards my partners cats but thankfully they perk up once they see me. One of my partners cats, the oldest, is totally respecting their space and very tolerant of when they need it, which is something I’ve never seen before (same with her popping out of the crate and straight up owning the new place, tail UP). They’re sllllooowwwllly getting used to my partner.

As my stuff and my partners stuff are slowly commingling, I want to help my boys relax when I’m not in eyeshot? Idiot me forgot the feliway and I need refills anyhow, but outside of that, I want to let them understand that this is safe for them, even if it’s strange with strange cats that don’t hiss and swat on a dime (their sister did that). I also want them to use the litter box oh god this is probably normal and I’m freaking out but I gotta.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

teen witch posted:

Hi everyone
Update time. I took my boys and my ex has my girls. We will visit, not the cats, barring like, a freak situation. It was one of the hardest things I ever had to do on top of an already stressful move and shout out to atarax, which is now no longer making me as sleepy so I guess that’s a thing. Anyhow, thank you for kind of making me come to my senses, have that teary breakdown, and sort myself out. I’ll see my girls on the coming week, and I want to stay in their lives, as does my ex wants to stay in the boys lives.

My boys are adjusting to the new space and new cats fairly well. There is hissing from them towards my partners cats but thankfully they perk up once they see me. One of my partners cats, the oldest, is totally respecting their space and very tolerant of when they need it, which is something I’ve never seen before (same with her popping out of the crate and straight up owning the new place, tail UP). They’re sllllooowwwllly getting used to my partner.

As my stuff and my partners stuff are slowly commingling, I want to help my boys relax when I’m not in eyeshot? Idiot me forgot the feliway and I need refills anyhow, but outside of that, I want to let them understand that this is safe for them, even if it’s strange with strange cats that don’t hiss and swat on a dime (their sister did that). I also want them to use the litter box oh god this is probably normal and I’m freaking out but I gotta.

Hi Teen Witch I am glad you did the right thing by the kitties.

Did you give your cats their own private space for right now with access to litter box and food and water? They might need a bit of a private safe space for a few days before letting them run around given it's 2 new cats vs 3 old cats.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Buff Hardback posted:

Hi Teen Witch I am glad you did the right thing by the kitties.

Did you give your cats their own private space for right now with access to litter box and food and water? They might need a bit of a private safe space for a few days before letting them run around given it's 2 new cats vs 3 old cats.

the apartment is new so it’s new cats all around so to say. One of my guys was terribly curious about what was outside my studio and I gave him a peek…and then his brother followed. They explored all of the upstairs and a bit of the downstairs, with me tailing behind. It’s only the outside areas they’re a bit skittish on but yknow what, that’s fine.

Needless to say I came home from IKEA to a surprise

the black one on the left is Sigurd, my partner’s boy. The other two tabbies are Pikachu and Raichu, my boys. Minor hissing but no swatting or coming up to take a whack, and they’re all unusually respectful of each other’s space, which knowing all three quite well, is a goddamn miracle. I really wasn’t expecting this at all but it’s worth it’s weight in gold and really REALLY gives me confidence that this is just sorting itself out in its own time (with me on treat duty for good behavior)

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.
My sister has adopted two six-year old cat siblings from a friend of a friend. The cats were used to free feeding and are fat. My sister has been slowly decreasing their food for the past 3 weeks, and feeding them at 7 am and 7 pm. From about 10 pm until midnight when my sister and her husband crash, the cats pace around and meow for food like they're starving. Her husband is working from home and he says that they follow him around all day meowing for food, to the point where he sometimes will give them snacks so he can work. I'm assuming they'll eventually adjust, and maybe wearing earplugs and ignoring them is the way to go, but I'm just wondering if there's anything else that might be helpful. The cats have lost about a pound, with maybe another pound or two to go (their bellies hang low in an unhealthy looking way). Thanks!

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

socketwrencher posted:

My sister has adopted two six-year old cat siblings from a friend of a friend. The cats were used to free feeding and are fat. My sister has been slowly decreasing their food for the past 3 weeks, and feeding them at 7 am and 7 pm. From about 10 pm until midnight when my sister and her husband crash, the cats pace around and meow for food like they're starving. Her husband is working from home and he says that they follow him around all day meowing for food, to the point where he sometimes will give them snacks so he can work. I'm assuming they'll eventually adjust, and maybe wearing earplugs and ignoring them is the way to go, but I'm just wondering if there's anything else that might be helpful. The cats have lost about a pound, with maybe another pound or two to go (their bellies hang low in an unhealthy looking way). Thanks!

The saggy belly is just loose skin that is needed when the cat stretches out.

As for the rest, just time and ignore them. Feeding them treats occasionally doesn't quiet them down, it just makes them howl more because you've shown them that it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Deteriorata posted:

The saggy belly is just loose skin that is needed when the cat stretches out.

As for the rest, just time and ignore them. Feeding them treats occasionally doesn't quiet them down, it just makes them howl more because you've shown them that it works.

Thanks for the reply. Ok just need to give them time. They're fat saggy bellies though, not just the usual, and the snacks do quiet them down for an hour or two. Forgot to mention that they start meowing for food at about 5 am as well, so as with kids, even an hour break can feel like paradise.