Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Nilbop posted:

The only thing I missed so far is the intense superposition of sexual-nationalism Morikawa is layering on top of this fight.

And that Keith has been absolutely and comprehensively chumped out so far, which factors into the above.

So... none of what you predicted was correct, beyond the fact it's gone like 5 chapters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Is Keith not a dude relying on being blessed by the Goddess of Luck and is Takamura not just punching his face in because of his mighty Yamato spirit?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Nilbop posted:

Is Keith not a dude relying on being blessed by the Goddess of Luck and is Takamura not just punching his face in because of his mighty Yamato spirit?

No, Takamura's beating his face in because... he's finally in the weight class where he isn't destroying himself, and Keith isn't dominating at all and hasn't exactly been rattling on about the goddess of luck.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Nilbop posted:

What manga are you reading

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

https://imgur.com/a/aqBhDgn

No spoilers in the link.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

So a bunch of pre-fight stuff and 2 pages from the actual fight both from basically the beginning.

Again, are you reading the same fight we are?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

I didn't even include the chapters devoted specifically to countering his good luck.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

take your L, nilbop

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It's not like this thread is gunshy about pointing out when Morikawa is being weird as gently caress about nationalism.

This fight ain't it.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

its funny because there's still PLENTY of time for the nilbop prophecy to come true but it sure ain't happened yet

but you went for the harvest too soon

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
That's fair.

This fight ain't it yet.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

The luck thing will definitely come into play, we've just got a hint of it with him being saved by the bell (even though that happens in every fight)

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

The luck thing is literally his entire character.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
this fights boring so far

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
That's because Takamura is boring

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Flesnolk posted:

That's because Takamura is boring

i will disagree vehemently with this. its because his opponent has no real personality and the build up to this fight felt more like a formality.

takamura vs hawk, eagle and bison are three of the best fights in the series with the first one probably being the best overall

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

tbp posted:

i will disagree vehemently with this. its because his opponent has no real personality and the build up to this fight felt more like a formality.

takamura vs hawk, eagle and bison are three of the best fights in the series with the first one probably being the best overall

Same

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Chapter 1341

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

:gizz:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Sooooo....what's the catch gonna be here? So far this is has been little more than a glorified Takamura vs jobber fight. I'm getting more and more Ippo vs Guevara vibes from this, as weird as that sounds.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

TaurusOxford posted:

Sooooo....what's the catch gonna be here? So far this is has been little more than a glorified Takamura vs jobber fight. I'm getting more and more Ippo vs Guevara vibes from this, as weird as that sounds.

My guess is no catch, just setting up the next Takamura fight

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

If there's a twist I think the #1 candidate is the return of the retina issue via a lucky punch.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

TaurusOxford posted:

Probably getting punched in that one eye they're always afraid about.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Takamura slips, grabbing Keith dragon's monster dong on the way down, causing him to lose his confidence and ability to box

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Takamura slips, grabbing Keith dragon's monster dong on the way down, causing him to lose his confidence and ability to box
With a flashback panel to hanging back the divine bell rope as a dong. Divine retribution

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
New Ippo

https://hni-scantrad.com/lel/read/hajime-no-ippo/en-us/132/1342/page/1

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Yes... YES! I called the bad reffing angle being part of Keith's good luck pages ago.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Centzon Totochtin posted:

What just fell out of my trunks? Whoops, looks like I dropped my good luck Magnum CondomTM...

Hopefully we're building up to something substantial, I guess all the fights get like this but it feels like the chapters have been on the light side and there's a break every other week :f5:

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Chapter 1343

This was a really nice double page spread.

And in other good news...

https://twitter.com/WSM_manga/status/1406184273149841412?s=20

Digital Ippo manga is coming!

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Any bets on Takamura reacting late to left swings being because of his retina issue?

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
Isn't this exactly what happened in the Bison fight?

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Asuron posted:

Isn't this exactly what happened in the Bison fight?

yes, purposefully so

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

tbp posted:

yes, purposefully so

I'm not even talking about the wide swings that he can't see, I'm saying it's almost a beat for beat recreation of that fight. It even started with everyone holding their breath as Takamura and the opponent had a very intense exchange just like the one with Bison did.

But I actually will laugh if this is where Morikawa finally pays off the detached retina subplot.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
New chapter's out and...wow. At least he's self-aware?

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
Link it for others please. Chapter 1344: https://hni-scantrad.com/lel/read/hajime-no-ippo/en-us/132/1344/

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Keith got pranked by aokimura somehow and that was such an unlucky event it’s propelled his career this far, Takamura is actually at risk here you see; because Keith is actually a gag character.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
His bad luck is that Keith has an incredibly teeny tiny penis

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

this entire fight feels phoned in across the board. might just come back in a few months when its all over

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

If nothing unexpected happens here, i'm not really sure what the point of this fight is. Why at this point waste half a year of real time on yet another Takamura chump match? What does it possibly serve the manga this far in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Bisse posted:

If nothing unexpected happens here, i'm not really sure what the point of this fight is. Why at this point waste half a year of real time on yet another Takamura chump match? What does it possibly serve the manga this far in?

This is not a chump match, it’s a Champion one. Like Hawk or Eagle.