Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013

Jenny Agutter posted:

presenting: my dining table

detail

Nice, what was your lighting setup and the material for that glass? I'm having trouble making my glass look that good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Sailor Dave posted:

Nice, what was your lighting setup and the material for that glass? I'm having trouble making my glass look that good.

lighting was just a big area light off to the side. material i stole from here https://blenderartists.org/t/glass-green-on-the-side-how-to-get-this-effect/655898/3 I wanted to use lux core render but they haven't updated for 2.93 yet

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

hrmm
https://i.imgur.com/3W8qu55.mp4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQ8W9yFXw4s

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
IT'S ALIVE

This was a lot of fun but I am absolutely not a character modeller! Proportions, even exaggerated ones like I usually draw are hard enough to get right on paper, so all of this was a real challenge. That said, the results are super rewarding and my creepy guy can make all kinds of cool weird facial expressions and it's a trip seeing my art style translated into 3D. Again, there's a lot I've learned in the process that I wish I knew going in, but I'm glad that my cartoony puppet man can roam around in all his creepy underbitey glory now.

Something this also taught me was to get my goddamn scale locked in before making the scene. I made the car, the landscape and the scenery before I even considered the actor, and as such even for my lanky guy the interior of my car was just too high up and far forward for him to sit comfortably without contorting into a bunch of shapes. This meant the car had to be bigger, and since the car had to be bigger so did everything else leading to a cascading series of changes over the entire scene. Everything is sorted now though, so I'm going to do some test animations on the rig and then it'll be time to make the monster for the driver to hunt.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Songbearer posted:

IT'S ALIVE

This was a lot of fun but I am absolutely not a character modeller! Proportions, even exaggerated ones like I usually draw are hard enough to get right on paper, so all of this was a real challenge. That said, the results are super rewarding and my creepy guy can make all kinds of cool weird facial expressions and it's a trip seeing my art style translated into 3D. Again, there's a lot I've learned in the process that I wish I knew going in, but I'm glad that my cartoony puppet man can roam around in all his creepy underbitey glory now.

Something this also taught me was to get my goddamn scale locked in before making the scene. I made the car, the landscape and the scenery before I even considered the actor, and as such even for my lanky guy the interior of my car was just too high up and far forward for him to sit comfortably without contorting into a bunch of shapes. This meant the car had to be bigger, and since the car had to be bigger so did everything else leading to a cascading series of changes over the entire scene. Everything is sorted now though, so I'm going to do some test animations on the rig and then it'll be time to make the monster for the driver to hunt.

Character designers work on a lineup to avoid scale issues. The first shot is a cool pose and all, but you've got some serious kink in that elbow. Do you have preserve volume checked on the armature mod? If that doesn't fix it, you might need to spend some time in weight paint mode.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Nah, Perserve Volume wasn't on. Just enabled it and it makes things look a lot cleaner, thanks :)

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here
Just a heads up, everyone: When you install a new version of blender, it's installing into a completely different folder, and leaves the old version intact on your computer. You guys might wanna go into add or remove programs and make sure you don't have a couple gigabytes worth of old blender versions installed like I did.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Put together a facial pose library so here's a tiny animation of me dicking around with it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFTjHTxymzA

I somehow need to make the monster he's hunting scarier than him

And here's the progress I've made on my demo animation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLQm3fS6BsM

Still need to fill in a lot of the details and goddamn hands suck to animate

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jun 25, 2021

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Here's a render of the scene as it stands

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qh4hcNHE70

Last night I got the urge to wipe all the character animations and start over but instead I've come to realise I've gotten too granular with animating every little thing instead of trying to block out key poses and work from there, like I should be

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
that looks rad and you did a good job on the character animations, but the lack of easing on the camera moves is a bit jarring, and it seems like everything happens a bit too quickly to get an idea of whats going on...mebe have a couple different shots of the car accelerating to give more context or have part of the jump in slo-mo or something?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol I reckon its perfect the way it is

also I still havent looked into geometry nodes, but it's clear they are allowing some people to do some cool things
https://gumroad.com/blenderesse

these plugins for example. its good poo poo

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

very wip geometry node based procedural building generator

I think I need to constrain the window size to be smaller than the floor size, and of course the textures are mostly just placeholders. also the ground level is entirely hosed up right now, scale is way off so there are like tiny little storefronts as toes of the buildings instead of looking right. and need more doodads. also probably switching to emissive windows instead of interior lights and walls (pretty sure i have disabled the different lighting colors in this sceenshot too).

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

ive been looking more at geometry nodes. the attribute operation and assignment nodes are what really stand out to me. variable assignment is scoped to the node tree you’re on even

the system is basically a node based functional programming DSL

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

I think I need to constrain the window size to be smaller than the floor size, and of course the textures are mostly just placeholders. also the ground level is entirely hosed up right now, scale is way off so there are like tiny little storefronts as toes of the buildings instead of looking right. and need more doodads. also probably switching to emissive windows instead of interior lights and walls (pretty sure i have disabled the different lighting colors in this sceenshot too).

very cool, already looks great

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

ive been looking more at geometry nodes. the attribute operation and assignment nodes are what really stand out to me. variable assignment is scoped to the node tree you’re on even

the system is basically a node based functional programming DSL

does it have loops

like is it executed?

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

echinopsis posted:

does it have loops

like is it executed?

no, you still need animation nodes for that

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

echinopsis posted:

does it have loops

like is it executed?

no you can’t loop. what you can do instead is make a node group and then copy and paste it a bunch of times, feeding the output of one to the input of the next. this is how i made my nodevember fractal shader, it wasn’t truly recursive or looping, it just ran through a bunch of copies of the same node group to approximate being recursive

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

if you really wanted to go nuts you could make a node that’s like thousands of groups lined up back to back with a mix node acting as a conditional operator to bypass the iterations that aren’t needed

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
sounds like they could add loops

also goto

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

echinopsis posted:

sounds like they could add loops

also goto

Love for my render to get stuck bc i hosed up and did an infinite loop somewhere

You don't want that poo poo to be turing complete

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Songbearer posted:

Here's a render of the scene as it stands

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qh4hcNHE70

Last night I got the urge to wipe all the character animations and start over but instead I've come to realise I've gotten too granular with animating every little thing instead of trying to block out key poses and work from there, like I should be

The character animation is looking alright, but the way the camera snaps into place is jarring. Need to smooth that out a bit, maybe with some curve editing?

Trabisnikof posted:

I was also working on a geometry node cityscape to follow up my inception thing. It helps sell it if you throw on a couple of bend modifiers and curve the base plane by the curvature of the earth, .009 degrees.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Bluemillion posted:

I was also working on a geometry node cityscape to follow up my inception thing. It helps sell it if you throw on a couple of bend modifiers and curve the base plane by the curvature of the earth, .009 degrees.

that's a great tip, thanks!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Zlodo posted:

Love for my render to get stuck bc i hosed up and did an infinite loop somewhere

You don't want that poo poo to be turing complete

look if I want to build a shader that runs ARM processor instructions I should be able to

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

echinopsis posted:

look if I want to build a shader that runs ARM processor instructions I should be able to

blenders open source mate. you can

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
if only I was worthwhile

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

echinopsis posted:

if only I was worthwhile

You okay man? You got some confidence issues for someone who makes cool poo poo. :glomp:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

finally got around to actually messing around with attribute math in the geometry nodes and made a graphing calculator

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

this stuff feels totally unrelated to anything blender has before. it’s cool

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
sick man

the rainbow I made years ago now came from a realisation I could use pythagorus's therome to determine the distance from 0,0 and use that to make a circle in the shader. of course I know now of easier ways to do it

but it's the same kind of thing. generation within the node editor.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bluemillion posted:

You okay man? You got some confidence issues for someone who makes cool poo poo. :glomp:

I was kind of joking when I posted that, but lol yeah of course I have confidence issues. have you seen the quality of what everyone produces in the 3d world? I'd love to say it's inspiring, but it's mostly just a reminder that I'll never have the natural skill for art and taste that others do, and I don't have time in life or motivation to put into getting better and spend time producing great works.

thats why I end up with this kind of dogs breakfast mish-mash

https://twitter.com/rodtronics/status/1409722903621345281?s=20

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

nodevember is gonna be fully sick this year

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

fart simpson posted:

nodevember is gonna be fully sick this year

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
echi you talk a lot of poo poo about yourself but peep these artless corporate attempts at trying to pull off a similar aesthetic and consider that actually your composition and design skills whip rear end

https://cari.institute/aesthetics/pomo-faux-ruins

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Yeah seriously sometimes I feel like I've pigeonholed myself on this bigass project because seeing the cool little things in this thread makes me real jealous to just pop off some abstract stuff

I'm afraid if I take my eyes off doing this project I'll lose my momentum though. I haven't played Factorio since I bought it last December because I don't want to accidentally itch my "making stuff" drive with it

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

echinopsis posted:

I was kind of joking when I posted that, but lol yeah of course I have confidence issues. have you seen the quality of what everyone produces in the 3d world? I'd love to say it's inspiring, but it's mostly just a reminder that I'll never have the natural skill for art and taste that others do, and I don't have time in life or motivation to put into getting better and spend time producing great works.

There's no such thing as talent or natural skill. Nobody is born with it. Even Mozart had to be taught. Get out there and view some art, watch some tutorials.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

echinopsis posted:

was this based on a real sculpture?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
scanned from the louvre

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
there’s tons of free and cheap 3d scans of statues and all sorts really these days

since I used blender as some kind of advanced compositional tool rather than 3d modelling, they fit in easily to jump start

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

playing around with geometry nodes, hoping to make a flower generator thing

https://i.imgur.com/dUrvty8.mp4

having fun so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy