Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Saukkis posted:

I think there is significant room for downsizing if we let the electrical motor handle all the acceleration and high power needs, the ICE only provides the average power for long distance driving. 150-250cc bike engine would probably be enough, just bolt a generator on it. When I first tried OBD reader with my car I was surprised it claimed freeway driving was only using 10-15hp of power. But considering it has a 154hp engine with a 215km/h top speed, half the speed and take a square root of power and 15hp would be pretty close for freeway. There are not many places where you could use 50hp for extended time outside of autobahn and race track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Saukkis posted:

I think there is significant room for downsizing if we let the electrical motor handle all the acceleration and high power needs, the ICE only provides the average power for long distance driving. 150-250cc bike engine would probably be enough, just bolt a generator on it. When I first tried OBD reader with my car I was surprised it claimed freeway driving was only using 10-15hp of power. But considering it has a 154hp engine with a 215km/h top speed, half the speed and take a square root of power and 15hp would be pretty close for freeway. There are not many places where you could use 50hp for extended time outside of autobahn and race track.

You still need an engine block, cooling system and exhaust which are all heavy, not to mention the additional transmission hardware to support transferring power between the two motors. You also aren’t going to run the gas engine at 12000 RPM like a low displacement bike motor so you need something that can generate sufficient torque at low RPM to keep the car moving at a constant speed, which means a higher displacement engine.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I think a lot of people buying a sub-150mile range EV are going to realize quite quickly how SOL they are when the bombs start to fall or the “big one” PNW earthquake hits and they can barely get out of the surrounding metroplex on their plithy batteries to save themselves. That’s why all EVs need to be >300 miles. ICE car owners can siphon and keep driving for literally days while these EV owners will have one chance to find greener pastures. Also, if it’s cold out that 150miles turns into like 70. Good luck. This is why Ford and other truck makers are making >300 range trucks. They know that the truck buying demographic factors these legitimate facts into their buying decision.

I don’t think the EV market will really take off until they’re ready for global thermonuclear war or apocalyptic natural disaster evasion. ICE cars have been there for decades. Big hill to overcome.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jun 30, 2021

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Interesting, in Canada the federal government just moved the date all new passenger cars and light trucks must be non fossil fuel powered from 2040 to 2035.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/canada-pledges-to-ban-sale-of-gasoline-and-diesel-powered-vehicles-by-2035-271624992853

Good!

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Blind Rasputin posted:

I think a lot of people buying a sub-150mile range EV are going to realize quite quickly how SOL they are when the bombs start to fall or the “big one” PNW earthquake hits and they can barely get out of the surrounding metroplex on their plithy batteries to save themselves. That’s why all EVs need to be >300 miles. ICE car owners can siphon and keep driving for literally days while these EV owners will have one chance to find greener pastures. Also, if it’s cold out that 150miles turns into like 70. Good luck. This is why Ford and other truck makers are making >300 range trucks. They know that the truck buying demographic factors these legitimate facts into their buying decision.

I don’t think the EV market will really take off until they’re ready for global thermonuclear war or apocalyptic natural disaster evasion. ICE cars have been there for decades. Big hill to overcome.

sorry but i will be the one laughing when my Warboys terrorize the PNW in our electric war rigs, powered by everyone who has ever attended a spin class

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Blind Rasputin posted:

Okay that one is on me, should have read the context and sensed the dripping sarcasm.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Dear Watson posted:

Since I’m pretty newly looking at EVs. Can someone tell me what the difference between the Lithium ion batteries that exist now, and the solid state ones that Toyota is supposedly working on?

I get to drive Toyota hybrids (and ford and Hyundai hybrids) all the time for work and other than the fact that I think the seats are uncomfortable the actual driving experience and efficiencies are fantastic. I am excited to read more about their electric vehicle bz4x.

I’m also surprised they are so late to the game. My first Prius experience was in like 2003 and it was a month long rental and was shockingly good all the way back then.

Most BEVs have not historically been sold at a profit and Toyota didn't need emissions credits due to the success of their hybrids, so why bother? They've also been on a hydrogen kick for years now. Seems like not a great idea to me but maybe it'll work out in the end.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

RELEASE THE CAR ELON

AAAAAAAAAAAAAA

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Mad Max was wrong, the real futuristic war rig will be more like the rover in the Martian with a trailer full of solar panels

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

bawfuls posted:

Regardless, 120 miles out of 33kWh would be 275 Wh/mi which is certainly achievable and that is a reasonable range for a car like a Miata.

The MX-5 has never been a particularly fuel efficient car.

The current roadster uses more fuel than a CX-30 (or ICE version of the MX-30) so extrapolating from the MX-30 EV (with a 35kWh battery and 124miles WLTP range) I don't think 120miles real world is realistic. Especially given how disappointing real world range is on the MX-30.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

You still need an engine block, cooling system and exhaust which are all heavy, not to mention the additional transmission hardware to support transferring power between the two motors. You also aren’t going to run the gas engine at 12000 RPM like a low displacement bike motor so you need something that can generate sufficient torque at low RPM to keep the car moving at a constant speed, which means a higher displacement engine.

Finally a use case for a gas turbine in a car.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Missing the obvious sarcasm really was embarrassing. Still, not the only moderator lately to go to an admin asking fro a sixxer to get overturned. Annnnyway......

dissss posted:

The MX-5 has never been a particularly fuel efficient car.

The current roadster uses more fuel than a CX-30 (or ICE version of the MX-30) so extrapolating from the MX-30 EV (with a 35kWh battery and 124miles WLTP range) I don't think 120miles real world is realistic. Especially given how disappointing real world range is on the MX-30.

The thing I cant get past for a lower capacity battery for a MX-5 is it just murders it's justification to exist. When we're talking about 200kms range *at best* with our supposing and it just doenst factor in its rationale isnt to be a shopping trolley. It's for a lot of buyers a weekend car where 200kms at best range is just not going to fly because it *is* the kind of car you throw a picnic in the back and gently caress off somewhere where charging is unlikely. And there's more than a few that get used as weekend warriors - it's not unreasonable to have a senario where to get to a autocross with anything close to a reasonable charge and then get back home again means 30Kw just cant work. While it's quite true as this thread keeps proving that 99% of EV's just do not need 100Kw battery packs, the MX-5 happens to be a resonable exception and I think it's quite fine to ack it's common use case to require range a smaller battery cant deliver. Yet. Maybe in the future.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Most of my trips, like everyone else, I assume, are pretty short of course. But just just for this long weekend I planned a 1500km trip to the alps. To make this work, I'd need to be able to do 400-500km on the highway as quickly as possible to get there, and then get reasonable range at frequent WOT situations.

That's not an every day trip of course but really any fun driving roads are at least an hour out. Then there's the track day issue. In the end it's always about the price IMO, for $10k I'd be happy to have fun EV for 90% of driving around town, but at 40k+ that would be silly

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Just rent a car for your road trip and solve all the problems at once.

For the same reason you don't need to daily drive a truck because one time you may need a load of mulch or something.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

I mean I drive my Volt hard at times, and still meet/beat the EPA estimates. It easily gets over 50 miles at 70mph with a 18.4 KWh battery with 14KWh useable, so I don't see why a 9 KWh wouldn't get near 29mi under the right conditions. The only time my range really suffers is when its super cold and probably not Miata driving weather.

I've also gotten my Volt close to 70 miles on a single charge before, a car built to be even lighter should be able to get close 150 mi with a 30 KWh battery I would think. I would also assume a track situation would have some sort of DCFC infrastructure in the future?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

priznat posted:

Interesting, in Canada the federal government just moved the date all new passenger cars and light trucks must be non fossil fuel powered from 2040 to 2035.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/canada-pledges-to-ban-sale-of-gasoline-and-diesel-powered-vehicles-by-2035-271624992853

Good!

It would be great if the Canadian government would do more than a single federal rebate, EV efforts here are half-hearted PR campaigns. Most of the writeoffs are limited to businesses like the accelerated depreciation and the rest is lip service. The provinces are all doing different incentives, many doing nothing at all and it's just a mess. Charging infrastructure is OK at best, mostly because of Tesla. The Petro Canada network exists but I haven't heard great things from non-Tesla owners. That's without going into the lack of capital incentives for the auto/battery companies.

Anyways sorry not to get too CanPol but it's frustrating how little has been done despite the grandiose pronouncements and plans.

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jun 30, 2021

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
BC Hydro is building out a network but it's mostly 50kw which kind of sucks.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

It sucks here in USA as well. 2 of our domestic manufacturers don't even have a federal credit any more. Several states have registration fees that work out to be way more money than the fuel tax they replace.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
One thing that bugs me with the EV rebate programs (in BC myself) is they top out at some value ($55k here) and above that there is no rebate. So if I want to get a nicer trim level, no rebate.

I understand not wanting to subsidize a Model X but really even in that case why does it matter if the goal is to get them out of a gas vehicle?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Probably because subsidizing wealthy people's cars isn't what the program is for with funds not being unlimited, so they want to keep it to more basic models.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Alright who's ready for delivery adventures? First up Tesla doesn't know if this is a 3 or a Y!

(it's a 3)

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Westy543 posted:

Alright who's ready for delivery adventures? First up Tesla doesn't know if this is a 3 or a Y!

What if you get a model Y for the price of a model 3?

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

I'd be saving A Lot actually cause I ordered in May before the hikes. VIN is for a model 3 tho!

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Westy543, look your car over with a microscope. These end-of-quarter cars from Tesla tend to be rushed.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

priznat posted:

One thing that bugs me with the EV rebate programs (in BC myself) is they top out at some value ($55k here) and above that there is no rebate. So if I want to get a nicer trim level, no rebate.

I understand not wanting to subsidize a Model X but really even in that case why does it matter if the goal is to get them out of a gas vehicle?

New York’s EV rebate goes down to 500 from 2000 today if the sale price is over 42k down from 60k

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

One of my neighbors has replaced his quite nice Model S with a 3 in Ambulance White that looks like it was built as a primary school project.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Westy543, look your car over with a microscope. These end-of-quarter cars from Tesla tend to be rushed.

Yuuup! Well aware unfortunately. I'm gonna look for all the big ones. I let myself fangirl over delivery day yesterday so I wouldn't be emotional today and just accept it.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Westy543 posted:

(it's a 3)

Yes or later?

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I got my last Tesla Model 3 Performance while it was pouring rain out so I didn't give it quite the ocular pat down I wanted to. Thankfully, a paint defect I found later was fixed by them.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Nitrox posted:

Just rent a car for your road trip and solve all the problems at once.

For the same reason you don't need to daily drive a truck because one time you may need a load of mulch or something.

Well that would defeat the purpose of the road trip, which is to drive a Miata through mountain passes

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Charles posted:

I only drive 69 miles

:nice:
Not 420, though? I can' buy an EV until they can do that, obvs.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Darchangel posted:

:nice:
Not 420, though? I can' buy an EV until they can do that, obvs.

Lots of EVs can go at least 260.98 miles :smug:

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Westy543 posted:

(it's a 3)

Just for the record, my performance 3 built in June 2020 doesn't have any fit and finish issues. These threads had me paranoid about it but the worst thing it had was a loose clip under the driver side door that took me two seconds to push in all the way. There are still issues sometimes, but the majority of deliveries are fine.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
nope

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Apr 6, 2022

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Rivian L2 chargers looking good.

:heysexy:

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Indiana_Krom posted:

Just for the record, my performance 3 built in June 2020 doesn't have any fit and finish issues. These threads had me paranoid about it but the worst thing it had was a loose clip under the driver side door that took me two seconds to push in all the way. There are still issues sometimes, but the majority of deliveries are fine.

My Model 3 from 2019 has similarly been boringly non-eventful.

In college I had a Honda Prelude from the early 1990s, and every mechanic who worked on it said it was put together really well. One guy even commented that they must have just given everybody raises that day, which really opened my eyes to the idea that build quality on an individual car can come down to whether some dude's breakfast order came out wrong.

In other words, don't panic yet.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

mobby_6kl posted:

Well that would defeat the purpose of the road trip, which is to drive a Miata through mountain passes
Then rent a Miata? Am I missing something?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Nitrox posted:

Then rent a Miata? Am I missing something?

Lol what? Lemme just check Enterprise for miatas... Nope, hang on, I'll check Avis... Giant Chevrolet Turd, close enough right?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Finger Prince posted:

Lol what? Lemme just check Enterprise for miatas... Nope, hang on, I'll check Avis... Giant Chevrolet Turd, close enough right?

Maybe if you were less of a condescending turd you might have bothered with a simple Google search?

https://www.alamo.com/en/rental-cars/us/cars/compact-convertible-ctar.html

https://turo.com/us/en/car-rental/united-states/trenton-nj/mazda/mx-5-miata/618536

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

Whether you can rent a Miata or not is irrelevant, because the solution to there not being an electric Miata is to just own a petrol Miata.