Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Anyone have opinions on Song of Horror? Been thinking about checking it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Finally playing DDLC and going in only knowing about Just Monika memes (I pronounce it mo-neye-ka to irritate a friend) and man at least knowing the game is going to get dark there are some really obvious signs in the various girls of serious issues. :stare:

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 29, 2021

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Evil Kit posted:

Finally playing DDLC and going in only knowing about Just Monika memes (I pronounce it mo-neye-ka to irritate a friend) and man at least knowing the game is going to get dark there are some really obvious signs in the various girls of serious issues. :stare:

I'm so stoked for it to launch on PS4 tomorrow!

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

I played with two friends who went in blind and they both called what happened to Sayori extremely early on. Guess it helps that my acquaintance pool is depressed as gently caress.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1410162464096980994?s=20

:eng99:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Silent Hill fans cannot catch one single solitary break.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
Ay dios

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Len posted:

Well yeah the internet rumor mill decided the layers of fear devs were doing the next Silent Hill

People already got mad at how bad the game is!

Welp i'll admit i was wrong here, sorry for making fun of people for getting mad about rumors

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Someone bring up how the Medium has a character who is a paedophile because of the Holocaust.

Also I played Layers of Fear after getting it for free and I still experienced Buyers' Remorse.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Jun 30, 2021

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

two terrible tastes, finally together!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

JordanKai posted:

Silent Hill fans are in their own ironic hell.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Hope they hire some actual writers now!

Lonegar
Jul 13, 2006
Internet.

Read After Burning posted:

I'm so stoked for it to launch on PS4 tomorrow!

Same here, hopefully the new content will be more on the psychological horror side. I thought that was where the game was at its best.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

They look like video games to you?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

JordanKai posted:

Let's be honest here, Silent Hill is a franchise that only had 2 good games and that was decades ago. Maybe 3 for some people. Even if Kojima somehow got the franchise back, its doubtful whether he would be able to get Junji Ito and Del Toro to collab with him again. There is no reason to have any expectations for the franchise at this point.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Personally I can't wait for the new SH where all the health drinks are replaced with Monster Energy Drink Zero Ultra (tm)

As much as I miss the feeling of those games, PT was a complete experience. We saw what a large open map SH would be like with Downpour and it was poo poo. The brevity is what made it good, because otherwise you start to explain, and Kojima cannot explain anything without an intermission and popcorn break.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

veni veni veni posted:

Anyone have opinions on Song of Horror? Been thinking about checking it out.

my opinion is mixed but ultimately positive:

it's pretty good, with a lot of effective scares; some very clever puzzles and some puzzles that are total bullshit.
there's no combat in the game, and instead there's random encounters with minigames that are generally kind of poor, unfortunately.
the permadeath conceit and using different characters with different stats and carrying their special items through different episodes are both ideas that are underdeveloped. they may as well not be in the game, imo.

i hated the ending, storywise, and the highest difficulty level has the amazing combination of being overtuned such that some of the minigames are literally impossible and having unavoidable game-crashing bugs (they don't happen on lower difficulties)

i keep waiting for an update that smooths things out or overhauls the permadeath system to be more meaningful because it's so close to being great, but i think it's gonna stay the way it is. i would recommend it for its atmosphere and the way it creates tension on the first playthrough, and while the story is lovecraftian pastiche, at least it's not about someone who's guilty about a murder he forgot he did.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

al-azad posted:

They look like video games to you?

:five:

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Laughing so hard I’m crying blood. Talk about failing upward

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Let's be honest here, Silent Hill is a franchise that only had 2 good games and that was decades ago. Maybe 3 for some people. Even if Kojima somehow got the franchise back, its doubtful whether he would be able to get Junji Ito and Del Toro to collab with him again. There is no reason to have any expectations for the franchise at this point.

Out of curiosity, why is 3 a bad game to you? Thinking 1 and 2 are better is hardly controversial, but I've never seen anyone claim 3 wasn't good at all.

Full disclosure 3 is my favorite in the series, the story is whatever but for me the presentation absolutely elevates it to one of the greatest horror games ever.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Out of curiosity, why is 3 a bad game to you? Thinking 1 and 2 are better is hardly controversial, but I've never seen anyone claim 3 wasn't good at all.

Full disclosure 3 is my favorite in the series, the story is whatever but for me the presentation absolutely elevates it to one of the greatest horror games ever.

they're probably referring to The Room, not SH3

personally SH4 scared the poo poo out of me worse than any other game in the franchise even with all the weird design decisions, but it's definitely the black sheep of the original quadrilogy

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Oxxidation posted:

personally SH4 scared the poo poo out of me worse than any other game in the franchise even with all the weird design decisions, but it's definitely the black sheep of the original quadrilogy

4 was cool yeah.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

Cynthia's ghost is freaky as gently caress.

Plus, of course, Robbie's pointing. :3

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Oxxidation posted:

I always heard 4 was originally another game that they bolted the SH brand on which makes sense because the game feels different to me

Forte
Oct 22, 2009

Where is your Belmont clan now?!

Len posted:

I always heard 4 was originally another game that they bolted the SH brand on which makes sense because the game feels different to me

i loved The Room because of this. i wasn't really a fan of the other Silent Hill games and the amount of weird they pumped into it did it for me. there hasn't really been a game that's captured this for me again.

unfortunately Bloober is probably just going to try to capitalize on PT's success for SH6 and it'll play more like layers of fear than anything.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Big Mad Drongo posted:

I never said its a bad game, Silent Hill 3 is fine, I just wouldn't call it good. Silent Hill 4 has a lot of interesting ideas, but it has some serious issues with how they were executed, so I also wouldn't label it as a good game.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Some of it might be my brain filling in bits because I love the series so much, but I feel like SH2-4 are also the PS2 games that got hit the least hard by the ugly stick in intervening years. 3 in particular still looks pretty drat good to this day.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I would've hired a company that actually makes games for a new Silent Hill but what do I know.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
https://twitter.com/ThatPazuzu/status/1360747721674682370?s=20

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Big Mad Drongo posted:

SH3 plays the best and has the best overall horror feel too, imo. It's my favorite as well :hf:

SH1 and 2 are absolutely legendary landmark games, and SH4 is incredibly well-designed and scary as hell but uh, is kind of a pain in the rear end to actually play so I can understand the complaints about that one. :v: All 4 of the OG games are absolute classics and arguably the best set of horror media there has ever been.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
The SH HD Collection is the Maddest About Videogames I've ever been. What a colossal piece of poo poo.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Didn't even have the best one

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
are we glossing over the fact that there's a Japanese team also making a Silent Hill game? Which is probably the Sony one that's the worst kept secret imaginable at this point.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

RichterIX posted:

The SH HD Collection is the Maddest About Videogames I've ever been. What a colossal piece of poo poo.

What's sad too is it was like 100% Konami's fault, they lost or otherwise threw out the original gold masters of 2 and 3, then gave the devs a busted rear end pre-final build to work off of for 2 that had a ton of problems, they'd lost the entire original recordings for 3 which meant they had to "Close enough" remake that entire deal, Guy Cihi wouldn't come back to record as James over some dumb poo poo and got called out over his nonsense, a myriad of other problems that pretty much all came from Konami's side and then to really be the biggest shits, closed Hijinx Studios, the people they'd put this massive burden on, days after release.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Blockhouse posted:

are we glossing over the fact that there's a Japanese team also making a Silent Hill game? Which is probably the Sony one that's the worst kept secret imaginable at this point.
There are known unknowns and known knowns. We know we don't know what the Japanese SH game is or who's making it. We know that Bloober Team is making a game and we know that they're hacks

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
in hindsight guy cihi insisting he had an exclusive deal with konami to get residuals on every copy of silent hill 2 was a good indication that his grip on reality was tenuous

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

I'm starting up Doki Doki Literature Club when I get home from work...I am very excited.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

in hindsight guy cihi insisting he had an exclusive deal with konami to get residuals on every copy of silent hill 2 was a good indication that his grip on reality was tenuous

Troy Baker responding to that, James in SH2 HD, with "What? No? Voice acting has never done this and especially not as some standard, what in the world are you talking about Guy Cihi?" was pretty good.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Suddenly realizing that Silent Hill has now hit that Simpsons/Weezer continuum where it's sucked for way longer than it's ever been good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Ive ways wanted to try that silent hill diablo clone that shouldn't exist but does. Too bad vita memory is stupid expensive and the game is as well