Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Hub Cat posted:

They're working on another game in addition to the multiplayer game

Oh thank God, yay! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

lordfrikk posted:

As somebody who also loved Subnautica and was looking for something similar there does not seem to be anything in the same vein worth playing. I'd like to be proven wrong but I have tried quite a few survival games.

Valheim is an extremely chill exploration/crafting game, it gave me some of the same vibes as subnautica. It’s excellent in co-op but single-player is also great in a meditative way. The crafting and inventory are balanced around co-op but there are mods to fix that.

It’s still in EA though, might want to wait for the fall update or a couple years for the updates adding more exploration and biomes.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jun 30, 2021

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

exquisite tea posted:

Control isn't the easiest game I've ever played, but it's definitely the easiest game that seems to be incredibly frustrating to some people. I would read despondent goon tales of dying 40 times in a row to the slow mold zombies and meanwhile I'm here levitating 40 feet in the air while maniacally chucking down supercharged office chairs like a biotic god.
I remember getting 1-hit sniped by the ranged mold zombies in the caves even with all of the health upgrades purchased and health mods active, so I can see that being frustrating! I never completed that particular area because of them.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

exquisite tea posted:

Control isn't the easiest game I've ever played, but it's definitely the easiest game that seems to be incredibly frustrating to some people.

I think a big problem for people is the sheer amount of weird screen effects and overall dim lighting in the game. Whenever you kill something there's a big puff of weird warpy smoke that obscures the battlefield, and it's hard to tell sometimes where the enemies are because the areas tend to be big and dark and full of pillars and the enemies like to hide behind stuff and take potshots at you. So if you don't have the confidence to just go in brain blazing and tossing rocks at people left and right, it's easy to get surrounded and overwhelmed.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Control is Mass Effect 1 with an even shittier inventory system, trap options, useless guns, procgen fetch quests, longer load times, and no saves

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Fruits of the sea posted:

Valheim is an extremely chill exploration/crafting game, it gave me some of the same vibes as subnautica. It’s excellent in co-op but single-player is also great in a meditative way. The crafting and inventory are balanced around co-op but there are mods to fix that.

It’s still in EA though, might want to wait for the fall update or a couple years for the updates adding more exploration and biomes.

It's been in EA for about three years or so, it's got a lot of meat on it's bones since the last time you played!

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Jarvisi posted:

It's been in EA for about three years or so, it's got a lot of meat on it's bones since the last time you played!

You must be thinking of some other game. Valheim released in early access in february this year.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Yeah I played just this spring and it took my group months to get through all the bosses. I’m always gonna add the early access warning though, because it can be a drag sometimes. We would probably still be playing if our bases weren’t all unplayable laggy (which is fixed or there are workarounds now I think).

Kinda wish we had gone into the game fresh when it was in a better state, but it’s one of the only EA games I haven’t regretted (the other being Deep Rock Galactic)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Arid seems kinda Subnautica-esque, it's (currently?) free and unfinished, but it is a pretty promising student project.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Peewi posted:

You must be thinking of some other game. Valheim released in early access in february this year.

It's been on itch for three years

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Raft, maybe? To some extent, The Forest? The Forest gave me a generally Subnautica feel in that you're exploring around this area and you know there's creepy stuff out there but if you're clever you can slip around most of it.

Fruits of the sea posted:

None of these are IMO like Subnautica. The only thing they share is the genre.

I jumped on the Valheim bandwagon in February and liked it a lot but the grind is real because of its co-op focus and there's barely any story. I'd say these two facts easily put it into a different category.

The Forest is really focused on combat, like a lot, and I would never describe it as chill which I'd say is true of Subnautica most of the time. Also, no cool vehicles as far as I know.

Haven't tried Raft yet despite hearing generally good things about it because of its focus on multiplayer. That's actually why most survival games are not in the vein of Subnautica - because of the unspoken requirement for other people.

One thing that makes Subnautica great for me is also that the devs made a complete game instead of eternal Early Access title that is meant to have stuff to it added forever. The Forest seems to be the same in this at least and we'll see about Valheim. The Raft as far as I can tell has been in development since 2017 and it's still not finished.

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jun 30, 2021

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I enjoyed The Forest until after a certain point the ground started rumbling and these giant boss monsters came up out of the ground inside my base and destroyed everything instantly in a shower of logs, completely circumventing my defenses. Really felt like a massive "gently caress you" to all that time spent hauling logs to make a defensive perimeter. I ended up using cheats to finish the story.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I was already annoyed with the amount of combat even when there were only cannibals, and then the mutants started to appear, I got killed several times without seeming to be able to do anything and I quit.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

In terms of Subnautica-likes, there's also Breathedge. It's a bit more story-focused and environment is not quite as expansive, but it still is heavily focused on crafting and survival. Personally I kinda bounced off of it, but that's not so much failing of the the game.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Unlucky7 posted:

Is there a good tutorial video for Rimworld somewhere? LIke, things you should know before you start playing? I asked in the Rimworld thread if it had a decent tutorial and it seemed the consensus was 'It is okay but you may want to watch an LP or something first'

I agree with the thread. When jumping into Tim world for the first time, the game is quite overwhelming. Watching someone else play is a good way to learn the basics.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
I also quit The Forest after those giant mutant show up. The game seems to want me to play through their ‘survival’ experiences instead of letting me build stuff.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Jun 30, 2021

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Perestroika posted:

In terms of Subnautica-likes, there's also Breathedge. It's a bit more story-focused and environment is not quite as expansive, but it still is heavily focused on crafting and survival. Personally I kinda bounced off of it, but that's not so much failing of the the game.

It does have some stupid and bad humour, and one section in particular has some transphobic jokes. Which sucks, because it's the closest thing to Subnautica I've found yet.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Gave into the siren song of the Summer Steam Sale after all, despite my backlog being a mile long as it is. Another 3 games for the pile.

(Asura: Vengeance Edition, Splendor's online variant, and Dungeon of the Endless, so at least it was only $12 or so at minimum 50% off for each.)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I would appreciate it if IRL stuff would stop happening and making me drained or anxious so I could actually PLAY the haul I've gotten from the sale so far. Forza Horizon 4 is amazing and I love it, but there's other stuff I want to check out!

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Are any of the Trails games worth picking up?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Are any of the Trails games worth picking up?

Start with Trails in the Sky First Chapter.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Objective Action posted:

Control is extremely divisive based on what you come into a game wanting.

If you want a game that is heavier on the gameplay then Control is mediocre at best. The shooting is floaty, the extra powers are not very interesting, the enemies are massive bullet sponges, and the weapons don't feel very good.

If you want a game that has an extremely fun, and fairly unique to games, setting with a decent if not inspired mainline story then Control is absolutely your jam. The gameplay is not bad per-se so it kind of fades into the background and you can spend your time enjoying the worldbuilding the same way you can kind of gloss over the main story beats.

The game is technically extremely proficiently made in both video and audio departments. Artistically it can be a little same-y but it definitely has a specific look it is going for and nails it. The color palettes can be a little limited but the lightning is second to none and its one of the best showcases for RTX on the market if you have a 30XX series or equivalent card to run it.

If you are the kind of person that reads the magazines on the magazine rack and looks at the fake soda brands in the vending machines in a game then Control is for you 100%.

This is the right take on Control. I tend to skip dialog and never read any of the optional text or whatever in games and just focus on the parts of the gameplay that I enjoy. I did try reading all that stuff in Control and it was entertaining and the world was intriguing and cool but ultimately that's not what I play games for, and the gameplay itself wasn't anything to write home about and the setting and aesthetic gave me a sickening sense of anxiety so I didn't enjoy it at all.

Unlucky7 posted:

Is there a good tutorial video for Rimworld somewhere? LIke, things you should know before you start playing? I asked in the Rimworld thread if it had a decent tutorial and it seemed the consensus was 'It is okay but you may want to watch an LP or something first'

If you learn best through doing things yourself you can enable developer tools in the options menu which are a very very very robust set of cheat menus that will let you manipulate the game world in just about any way you want. Personally I found them incredibly helpful for learning the game without guides or watching streamers, because for example I could just play however I saw fit and then if later on there was something I obviously should have done earlier (started a farm, built a freezer, whatever) I could use the dev tools to make up for my deficiencies and then remember them for my next colony.

As a sort of aside I love Rimworld because more than any other game it feels like an adult version of being a kid and playing with action figures or legos and creating your own little world and storylines, and even playing the game with the dev tools always on and regularly manipulating the world state doesn't take away from the enjoyment at all. You can use them to push a certain game narrative, like maybe you think it would be fun for the emergent storyline of your colony if you started off with a top-tier military cyborg that has 10 in every skill and is well equipped right from the very start, but they're also a psychopath bloodlusted cannibal so all of your other characters have to constantly tiptoe around them to not set off a chain of murders, or maybe you want to play as a skilled-out veteran sniper in a giant-scorpion-infested jungle living alone and just trying to survive, or whatever. Or other times the game throws some big tragedy at your colony but you can use the dev tools to steer it in another direction and resurrect someone who died because maybe that's just not what you wanted to happen. Anyway my point is in Rimworld more than any other game that's a 100% valid way of playing and because of the depth of colonist interactions and psychology and the huge array of mods it still remains fun and complex even while cheating.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jun 30, 2021

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

On the bright side I had some actual British people tell me this could've been a real photograph at first glance:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

exquisite tea posted:

Control isn't the easiest game I've ever played, but it's definitely the easiest game that seems to be incredibly frustrating to some people. I would read despondent goon tales of dying 40 times in a row to the slow mold zombies and meanwhile I'm here levitating 40 feet in the air while maniacally chucking down supercharged office chairs like a biotic god.

I used to think it was one of those antipiracy things. Like if you stole the game it knows and ramps everything up to gently caress You Levels and everyone complaining was outing themselves.

But enough people complain so the real answer is just ?????

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Something that I don't think is spoken often enough about Control is how funny it is. I think people tend to oversell the spooky SCP stuff, and while that's definitely there to some extent, Control is one of the funniest games I've ever played. How can you look at a menacing close-up of a slide projector from horror movie camera angles and not crack up laughing.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

lordfrikk posted:

None of these are IMO like Subnautica. The only thing they share is the genre.

I jumped on the Valheim bandwagon in February and liked it a lot but the grind is real because of its co-op focus and there's barely any story. I'd say these two facts easily put it into a different category.

Yeah, I won’t argue the story aspect or it being early access. I’m still looking for another Subnautica-like experience too. That said, if anyone is planning on spending some time in single-player, just grab the mods that ease crafting requirements and inventory management. Makes a huge difference, once the grind is removed.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

exquisite tea posted:

Something that I don't think is spoken often enough about Control is how funny it is. I think people tend to oversell the spooky SCP stuff, and while that's definitely there to some extent, Control is one of the funniest games I've ever played. How can you look at a menacing close-up of a slide projector from horror movie camera angles and not crack up laughing.

Some SCP stuff is funny though. People oversell the horror factor, and the horror games themselves don't help that.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

exquisite tea posted:

Or the rubber duck that follows people around and quacks at them. Or sometimes both funny and scary at the same time, like a child's drawing on a refrigerator that eats people if nobody is looking at it 24/7.

Really, all the little incidental writing is the best part of the game. But if you're looking for deep gameplay, it's not really there.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Control was, I guess, spooky, but I never thought it was, or was trying to actually be scary. "Eerie," might be the perfect descriptor.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

For people looking for something like Subnautica this may not be what you're looking for but check out In Other Waters, it's thematically the closest thing you will find.

Okay so imagine Subnautica, but you don't play as the stranded xenobiologist. Instead, they put on an alien diving suit or something (It's been a while since I played it) and awaken a remnant AI inside of it - and you play as that AI. Then it's a unique mix of puzzle game, narrative-based survival game, adventure game and probably some other stuff I don't remember (I think there was a sort of pseudo base-building aspect but I could be misremembering) where you, the AI, have to figure out the alien UI of the diving suit and various devices you interface with, help the xenobiologist move around and perform physical actions in the world, and in general assist in unraveling the mystery of the planet.

It's basically Subnautica except with minimalist visuals in 2d (because you play as an AI interfacing with maps, data-logs and technology, not a human with eyes that see the world around them), a lot of reading (it's well written from what I remember but it has a fair amount of typos that were apparently never fixed), a more direct focus on the narrative, and one step removed from the actual physical in-the-water-doing-things part.

(It wasn't really my thing so I never beat it but the concept was really cool and it's definitely a competent, well-regarded, and inspired game)

Also it's only $7.49 in the sale :shrug:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jun 30, 2021

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

deep dish peat moss posted:

For people looking for something like Subnautica this may not be what you're looking for but check out In Other Waters.

Yeah, it’s good! The only similiarities are the setting and puzzling out how the ecosystem works, but those aspects are on point. Steam tells me it took 9 hours to play through, but probably closer to 7, I have a habit of leaving games running while I do the laundry or brew coffee or whatever.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
That's a good recommendation! Though only if you're looking for Subnautica-like experience more than a game. It wasn't for me but I really appreciate the author making such a game, it's really cool.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Hwurmp posted:

Start with Trails in the Sky First Chapter.

What about the Cold Steel games?

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

They went for the dating sim crowd, four times in a row. It depends on how much of this you can stomach.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Short answer: they came later, play them later.

Long answer: you can do Cold Steel 1+2 before Sky but it'll spoil a few things going either way between them, DO NOT leap into the back pair of Cold Steels without finishing Sky because 3+4 are a big "everyone you know from this long running series piles into the room and wraps many events" arc.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Best way someone in the RPG thread explained the Sky series to me was it was like reading a long book. A Steven King on 50 kilos of coke long book and if you can hang around it's some of the best ever written.

This was accurate 100%. If you want a character driven world where things actually develop and grow and can put up with some JRPG fuckery, this series is the hallmark. But it's not going to come fast and is a super slow burn. Not boring, there just is a LOT being delivered here. It has a crazy amount of written dialog and the NA translators almost went batshit crazy porting it over.

Then like above, you can go into Cold Steel for some high school rom com shenanigans before all hell breaks loose at the end. It's more flash and graphics than Sky but the stories go together.

There are also two other games (I think) in between Sky and Steel that bridge the cap that are almost equally as long. There are fan translations of various quality for those. One for PC and the other on PSP.

TLDR, this series is beefy.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

There are also some games in the Legend of Heroes series that preceded Sky, but I don't think those have any translations.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I started with Cold Steel before Sky, and the world and its politics made me fell in love with the series so I went back and played the Sky games. I'd say you can either play the first Cold Steel or the first Sky and see if the series is for you. Cold Steel has a more evolved battle system while Sky has better protagonists.

As mentioned by others already, it's a very long, slow burn. If you are into JRPGs in any form, I'd say this is the best current series going on right now. If you get bored of any game that goes past ten hours, or are disgusted by old graphics, or have no tolerance for anime whatsoever, then it is not the series for you. I imagine you wouldn't be asking if that was the case, though.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jun 30, 2021

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

exquisite tea posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs5qDggAXTs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

ultrafilter posted:

There are also some games in the Legend of Heroes series that preceded Sky, but I don't think those have any translations.

There's a trilogy that was remade on PSP that released in America (out of order also lol) but I haven't heard anything particularly good about it. Legend of Heroes goes all the way back to 1989 where the first game was part of the Dragon Slayer series, the same series that Legacy of the Wizard and Sorcerian are part of, which also spun off Faxanadu and Tokyo Xanadu lol. It's an insane lineage of games