Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Please for the love of goon, give me fishnuts sinkers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I want the smallest possible size of nutsack sinker to attach to my tow hitch.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

highme posted:

I want the smallest possible size of nutsack sinker to attach to my tow hitch.

1/64 oz. flappin in the breeze

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

therunningman posted:

Thanks! A 9" brown is amazing for a first catch. Brown trout is an introduced species in a few streams around here, I'd love to catch one some time.
You're right about the net, I am always a little hesitant to bring it but I found it helpful to gently contain the little guy when removing the hook.

You had the right idea the first time. The net used properly allows you to keep the fish in the water while you prepare to remove the hook, and is all over a lot easier on them.
If you are intending to practice catch and release, the fish surviving your encounter is pretty essential to the concept.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
is there a standardized size for the loops/bails on sinkers? or at least a minimum size that's practical? if i use prefab hooks/hardware as with jig heads it works itself out, but not w most sinker styles

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Ambrose Burnside posted:

is there a standardized size for the loops/bails on sinkers? or at least a minimum size that's practical? if i use prefab hooks/hardware as with jig heads it works itself out, but not w most sinker styles

lol loving nothing is standardized.

Most kinds of sinkers have loops/holes integrated into the mold so they will come out as one piece. There are also several sizes of brass wire eyes that are used for heavier or premium sinkers. Consult the Do-It Corp. catalog for more information of the best molds to rip off.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Finally met my neighbor to the north and discovered he has 5 pay-to-fish/aquaculture ponds that I'm allowed to fish. My son and I went out for two hours and I caught more bluegill than I have in my entire life combined.

But I can only keep the green sunfish

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Yooper posted:

Finally met my neighbor to the north and discovered he has 5 pay-to-fish/aquaculture ponds that I'm allowed to fish. My son and I went out for two hours and I caught more bluegill than I have in my entire life combined.

I.... what? Why would someone outlaw keeping bluegill?

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Sickening posted:

I.... what? Why would someone outlaw keeping bluegill?

They want to keep them all for themselves probably.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

crazypeltast52 posted:

They want to keep them all for themselves probably.

This. They sell them to restaurants and such. Fine by me though, I'll catch mondo bluegills all day.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Yooper posted:

This. They sell them to restaurants and such. Fine by me though, I'll catch mondo bluegills all day.

I wonder why. I've eaten a lot of panfish and if you were to give me filets of bluegill, pumpkinseed, and sunfish i would never be able to tell the difference.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Yooper posted:

If you haven't already, get a fly rod. Bluegill will hit a beadhead nymph all day long. And small poppers if they're in the mood. It's some of the most fun fishing you can do.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
i saw these sinkers

and i got an idea

Ambrose Burnside fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jul 7, 2021

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Finally went up to the cottage and put in a good 5-6 hour fishing,

I'm half convinced there's no more fish in those waters. Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Today I found out what a The Bassin’ Bathyscope is. You northerners are hilarious.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Slotducks posted:

Finally went up to the cottage and put in a good 5-6 hour fishing,

I'm half convinced there's no more fish in those waters. Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

a buddy of mine bought a cottage on a very small lake (call it a pond) adjoining a much larger lake with lots of boat traffic, jet skis etc. first time he went fishing he caught the mother of all lake trout + bigass bass, much bigger than you'd ever expect to see in such a small lake. then for the next several years he'd be lucky to get a sunfish or similar trash fish. then all of a sudden he has an amazing weekend like the first time, the luck doesn't last til sunday.

eventually he put together that his tiny lake is connected to the larger lake + regional waterways by a submerged culvert, and every so often the big daddy fish from the deep lake find a reason to shelter in his little pond. he can't figure out the pattern behind this, but as soon as he does he'll be the most blessed fisherman in the region. my guess is some combination of seasonal lake turnover, weather, and particularly-irritating human lake activities (jetskis, fishfinders pingin away, etc) drives the big fish to temporarily shelter in the small lake via the culvert, but idk, none of those individual factors seem to strongly correlate with good fishing phases. man was not meant to know the motivations and inner life of fishes

Ventus
Oct 6, 2015
Spent much of the evening fishing and getting more familiar with my new baitcaster (Daiwa Tatula CT). Didn't catch anything; mainly thinking all the boat traffic caused the fish to hide. Did catch this beautiful view though, so there's that.

For getting farther casts with a baitcaster, should I loosen my tension knob more, or decrease the number of brakes I'm using? I've been keeping my brakes on max and loosening my tension knob and have seen some results, but should I be doing something different? Still getting used to having my thumb on the spool (feathering I think it's called).

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Ventus posted:

Spent much of the evening fishing and getting more familiar with my new baitcaster (Daiwa Tatula CT). Didn't catch anything; mainly thinking all the boat traffic caused the fish to hide. Did catch this beautiful view though, so there's that.

For getting farther casts with a baitcaster, should I loosen my tension knob more, or decrease the number of brakes I'm using? I've been keeping my brakes on max and loosening my tension knob and have seen some results, but should I be doing something different? Still getting used to having my thumb on the spool (feathering I think it's called).

Yes, using smaller brake settings will enable you to cast farther.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Sickening posted:

Today I found out what a The Bassin’ Bathyscope is. You northerners are hilarious.

I just had to look up what that was. I don't give a single gently caress about tournament bass fishing but I do think that any device that lets you see what's going on underwater is pretty cool. Is this a jab at northerners because our water has visibility such that you can actually see or is this a dumb yankees don't know poo poo about bass *spittoon chime*

VVV Sucks about the lingcod yet I remain extremely jealous. Hopefully August will be better!

A Pack of Kobolds fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jul 5, 2021

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I went fishing on the coast the other day and got beat the gently caress up by the swell. The skipper couldn’t get us on big lingcods either but the pacific rockfish were healthy sized guys. Spent a day flash freezing and packing up the meat from two limits. So tired.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Ventus posted:

Spool tension is the key, yeah. If there's too much resistance at the spool you're never going to get maximum distance. You've got to use good casting technique and trust your thumb more than the brakes so they don't steal your distance either.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

I just had to look up what that was. I don't give a single gently caress about tournament bass fishing but I do think that any device that lets you see what's going on underwater is pretty cool. Is this a jab at northerners because our water has visibility such that you can actually see or is this a dumb yankees don't know poo poo about bass *spittoon chime*

VVV Sucks about the lingcod yet I remain extremely jealous. Hopefully August will be better!

i dont know the fishing terminology but i studied polynesian history in school, and remember it mentioned that, from about ~ww2 onwards when the materials became widely-available on remote islands, simple looking-boxes with glass bottoms became popular aids for spearfishing in wading-depth water, probably spread first by GIs looking to improve on k-rations, and was rapidly adopted by locals. it strikes me as something that gets re-invented anywhere it would be genuinely helpful, this is just a particularly long-looking version that's suited to deeper water

the spearfishing practice of putting just the tip of the spear in the water before striking, so you have a point of reference that is free of refraction-caused error, seems analogous to a looking-box, sort of, if you think about it. it's letting you look beneath the choppy surface one way or another.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Sometimes I get a little savage about big sharks or dolphins messing around in my fishing holes.
[video type=""]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwP-zbzm4-g

It apparently worked

These microskiffs were made for low tide. This is a tiny little passage through a mile long oyster bar to get to an area that most would need an airboat to access. It's 6" deep and the only way in our out of the creek mouth I was fishing in the back of a bay.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Miniskiffs are a lot of fun.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Maybe NWS renderings of dicksinkers and scrotumweights.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

What about dickspoons and lipped diving cockbaits?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I'll be honest, I don't fish. I was just thinking "what would I want to see if I opened this thread at work"? A lovingly rendered 3D glans? Maybe not. I'm happy to let y'all set the tone for this thread.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

Safety Dance posted:

I'll be honest, I don't fish. I was just thinking "what would I want to see if I opened this thread at work"? A lovingly rendered 3D glans? Maybe not. I'm happy to let y'all set the tone for this thread.

We go out together on boats, clutching our rods. :v:

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Safety Dance posted:

yeah fair enough, sorry

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
e: whoops

using the double post to make a general offer:

i will make and send someone itt a 3d printed jig/lure casting mold of their choice, plus a little bit of the low-melt alloy required to cast the parts, for free. PMs are open.
well, mostly, all they have to do is pick the design (sth from the do-it catalog is fine, or something custom if you've got a particular thing in mind) and pay for shipping, plus say. idk. $10 CAD for the resin/metal materials. and give me feedback, that's really what i'm after- if it works well, your complaints and thoughts, etc
(this is *excepting* the dick balls and so on sinkers, sorry- those are detailed enough that making up the molds is actually a big pain in the rear end and is taking forever)

Ambrose Burnside fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jul 7, 2021

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Ran out to my buddy's neighborhood this morning for a few hours of poo poo talking and fishing. Tried a few new things out here and there. Usually I'm just texas-rigged bouncing worms off the bottom. I've had much more success with purple- and purple-adjacent baits, I guess because our water is pretty stained here for the most part.

After about an hour with no success and lots of top feeding I decided to tie on a splash popper in Black Lab and throw it around some culverts. Got my first topwater catch ever!

Learned pretty quickly that treble hooks--even with crushed barbs--are loving stupid since he was hooked in several places and it took some careful in-water removal time with hemostats.

I think I'm probably going to remove the front one and put a single trailing hook on it moving forward. Seems a little too medieval for me.

After about an hour with no real success, I wandered from the Texas rig and just put together a little carolina rig with 5/8 bullet and a trailing 5" Yum Morning Dawn floating behind. Got a couple of good fights, but only managed to get this fella in to shore.

Anyway, a nice day of fishing.

Any good tips for switching out hooks on my topwaters? Those little rings look to be a loving nightmare.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
Split ring pliers my dude. Made specifically for that.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Syano posted:

I've got a garage full of tools and never had a need for these. Sweet.

What size and type of hook is best to switch out on those? Like a 4/0 circle?

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Syano posted:

Holy crap I have been trying to figure this out for months.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

LeeMajors posted:

Circle hooks are for bait that gets swallowed. If you are using a lure you want something you can “set”.
Personally, on my rapala floating lures I take off the forward hook and then cut off one hook on the treble to make it a double.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Crab Dad posted:

Circle hooks are for bait that gets swallowed. If you are using a lure you want something you can “set”.
Personally, on my rapala floating lures I take off the forward hook and then cut off one hook on the treble to make it a double.

Gotcha I just have a few octopus circles floating around in my surf tackle box I thought I may be able to repurpose. That’s a pretty good idea about just trimming it down. Are there balance issues with a popper I should be concerned about?

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I caught the biggest smallmouth in my life on a tiny torp topwater. I've since removed all front treble hooks on any rapalas or torps that I use.

Also - I fished the Beaver Kill river up in the Catskills over the holiday break. Went with a guide and had the time of my life. Learned a lot about fly fishing and caught some beautiful rainbows and browns.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

LeeMajors posted:

Don't get me lying to you. I imagine that would be fine but I dunno for certain

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.

LeeMajors posted:

You want inline singles, something like these:

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Owner_Single_Replacement_Hook_X_Strong/descpage-OSRH.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Just found a penn 209 real in excellent mechanical condition but a bit dirty for $25. Always nice to have a few spare reels. Load it up with different line than my other 209s.