Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's not like the people you're talking about are gonna to be any significantly more or less hosed up because Rick and Morty exists. Material conditions did that, not cartoons.

The Moon Monster posted:

I'm not gonna say Doom caused Columbine or anything but media can absolutely reinforce/enhance a person's worldview.
Yeah especially now that we have studies on how South Park has influenced modern culture and society. Double so if the authors are not in the same shoes as Stone&Parker (IE: way closer to the people that picked up on the toxic messages from their shows compared to R&M's writers room).

Edit: which seems to have influenced the direction they are taking the new season towards? Haven't had a chance to see S5E1 yet.

That Italian Guy has a new favorite as of 13:49 on Jun 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

unfortunate that the show adds boring family drama to appeal to brow beating weiners, only for them to dislike the show anyway. everyone loses

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The brow beating was always there despite people’s desperate attempts to pretend otherwise for whatever reason

It was a way to pretend it wasn’t like other cartoons so it’s funny to see it swing the other direction

CharlestheHammer has a new favorite as of 14:04 on Jun 29, 2021

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

The brow beating was always there despite people’s desperate attempts to pretend otherwise for whatever reason

they added the drama to the show when they were making it, like how you add little lump of poo poo to your pancake mix in the morning

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That Italian Guy posted:

Yeah especially now that we have studies on how South Park has influenced modern culture and society. Double so if the authors are not in the same shoes as Stone&Parker (IE: way closer to the people that picked up on the toxic messages from their shows compared to R&M's writers room).

Is there scholarship on how South Park has influenced culture and society? I would very much like a citation so that I can sound like less of a lunatic when I explain how it seeded a generation to accept ironic antisemitism.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Is there scholarship on how South Park has influenced culture and society? I would very much like a citation so that I can sound like less of a lunatic when I explain how it seeded a generation to accept ironic antisemitism.
I'm not an academic, but there are a few academic papers on the first page of google search for "South Park influence on society". No idea how good or accepted they are, but a cursory glance makes it look like this is something that people are at least examining, yeah.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

I would very much like a citation so that I can sound like less of a lunatic when I explain how it seeded a generation to accept ironic antisemitism.

Anecdotally, I think this was actually even worse in some parts of the world, because if you don't live somewhere with a prominent Jewish community, then South Park was one of the only things you'd see talking about Judaism as a present-day religion (you also had The Simpsons to a much lesser degree).

I went to a Catholic school in the 00's. There was counterprogramming to the islamophobia in the media, largely because there was an Islamic population at the school and surrounding area. There... very much was not counterprogramming to the antisemitism that most of the class was hearing from South Park; you only ever heard about Judaism in a historical context, either in relation to Christianity or to World War II.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

MariusLecter posted:

We get it, you turn your brain off and :munch: .

Hey if it's good enough for MST3K

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Cleretic posted:

Anecdotally, I think this was actually even worse in some parts of the world, because if you don't live somewhere with a prominent Jewish community, then South Park was one of the only things you'd see talking about Judaism as a present-day religion (you also had The Simpsons to a much lesser degree).

I went to a Catholic school in the 00's. There was counterprogramming to the islamophobia in the media, largely because there was an Islamic population at the school and surrounding area. There... very much was not counterprogramming to the antisemitism that most of the class was hearing from South Park; you only ever heard about Judaism in a historical context, either in relation to Christianity or to World War II.

What often makes it worse is that a lot of stereotypical Jewish traits show up in media without the associated character being identified as Jewish. So when you run into antisemtism that's mocking those traits, a lot of people won't realize what it is, and treat it as just a mockery of specific common character traits. This can serve as a gateway into the much less coded variety.

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009
Speaking of South Park and not aging well, I never actually watched the classic South Park when it was airing,so I decided to go check it out last year and there are some very weird bits in there,even ignoring the edgy 90's humor.
The standout for me was one episode where at the end of it they all face the camera and tell us that actually, multinational corporations are people too and they try very hard to deliver a quality product,unlike all these stupid mom and pop stores. I guess it could be just basic contrarianism, or a mockery of those PSA's/very special episodes,but it felt strangely earnest and definitely a bizarre thing to see in 2020.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

christmas boots posted:

Hey if it's good enough for MST3K

In that context yes, this however is a thread where people are doing some deeper thought on the materials.
And "i dont even think about things i just lol" doesn't add anything. Or is an indictment.

e;

Capilarean posted:

Speaking of South Park and not aging well, I never actually watched the classic South Park when it was airing,so I decided to go check it out last year and there are some very weird bits in there,even ignoring the edgy 90's humor.
The standout for me was one episode where at the end of it they all face the camera and tell us that actually, multinational corporations are people too and they try very hard to deliver a quality product,unlike all these stupid mom and pop stores. I guess it could be just basic contrarianism, or a mockery of those PSA's/very special episodes,but it felt strangely earnest and definitely a bizarre thing to see in 2020.

"Cigarette companies work very hard to deliver a consumer product and it's unfair to paint them as ghouls preying on addiction with propaganda and lobbying/bribing."
The truth is in the middle!

MariusLecter has a new favorite as of 06:24 on Jun 30, 2021

londonarbuckle
Feb 23, 2017

Capilarean posted:

The Underpants Gnomes one? Yeah, they call that their conservative "coming out" episode. Look, Matt & Trey are sometimes-funny guys who have extremely shallow understanding of lots of things but nevertheless feel it's very important that they express their very ill-informed opinion on those things. It makes for a lot of very confused "satire" that a lot of people take very seriously for some reason.

Like, they literally called themselves "punk rock" for having a contrarian "it's not that bad!" opinion on George Bush and the Iraq War even though it was only "contrarian" within the Hollywood bubble they lived in. They are fairly dumb guys.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
When I think punk I sure think George Bush!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

DreadUnknown posted:

He ain't your daddy's George Bush!

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

DreadUnknown posted:

Went to a warped tour in 04. The Vandals were like “George w bush is bad president, unlike his father who is our favorite!”

I think they’re actually conservatives and weren’t just being contrarians, but who can be sure. Either way didn’t go over well.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I tried watching high plains drifter last night, and I know Eastwood is supposed to be the bad guy, but I just wasn't quite convinced that he didn't actually think raping women and then claiming they liked it wasn't cool

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

DreadUnknown posted:

https://youtu.be/W6gyPC9DYzU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The Moon Monster posted:

I'm not gonna say Doom caused Columbine or anything but media can absolutely reinforce/enhance a person's worldview.

If you really want to know what happened at Columbine, there's a podcast going on right now called Confronting Columbine that is going in depth about it.

Also, the episode about the 2018 MSD shooting made my blood boil.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Dave Cullen’s book on Columbine is still the gold standard for understanding what happened as far as I know.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Dave Cullen’s book on Columbine is still the gold standard for understanding what happened as far as I know.

I want to get books like that but always afraid I will get on a list.

But in the same vein of confronting poor media, the post Columbine narratives about nerdy kids who were being bullied and we need to monitory. Turns out white supremacy and lax leadership at the school are the real topics.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

I think there's some dispute that this book sort of gets the characterization of Eric and Dylan conflated a bit. There's a school of thought that Dylan was the true sociopath and Eric was a posturing clown who got in over his head, whereas I think the Cullen book paints Eric as a sociopathic mastermind and Dylan as a depressive mope who was manipulated and encouraged by Eric. I can definitely see the former argument as Eric seemed reluctant and apologetic in the last videos before the massacre, whereas Dylan is telling him to hurry up and cut the poo poo. Eric wasn't capable of hiding all of his troublemaking from his parents, while Dylan still went to college fairs and carried on like everything was normal up to the last minute of the massacre

I could be misremebering some of this and I can't speak to the rest of the Cullen book because I haven't read it, but I think thats one of the contentious elements of his narrative

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

hawowanlawow posted:

I tried watching high plains drifter last night, and I know Eastwood is supposed to be the bad guy, but I just wasn't quite convinced that he didn't actually think raping women and then claiming they liked it wasn't cool

Yeah, that part of the movie really belongs in here. It's a shame, because I otherwise enjoy the movie's concept.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I see now in writing my post I stuck a bad double negative in there. To be clear, rape=uncool

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Capilarean posted:

A similar attitude is in the ep. where Big Gay Al is the boys' Scoutmaster. The parents find out and get him fired for being gay, so they boys petition the Scouts to allow gay leaders.

The scouts allow it in the end, so everyone is celebrating Big Gay Al getting re-hired, but he turns it down and gives a speech that is essentially:
"Thanks, but the Scouts are a private company and should therefore be allowed to do literally anything they want. Discrimination is perfectly fine, and in fact, WE'RE discriminating against THEM by forcing our "beliefs" on them."

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Columbine happened because they wanted to one up Timothy McVeigh.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

FreudianSlippers posted:

Columbine happened because they wanted to one up Timothy McVeigh.

It is rather interesting how The Frighteners of all things ended up having one of the most realistic serial killer motives in “I want to beat so and so’s body count”.

Heck, the killer in that wanted to beat “that Russian cannibal creep” so bad he came back as a ghost. Sure enough, another dude in real life apparently did kill a bunch of people to beat said creep.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

hawowanlawow posted:

To be clear, rape=uncool
https://twitter.com/dril/status/831805955402776576

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Iron Crowned posted:

If you really want to know what happened at Columbine, there's a podcast going on right now called Confronting Columbine that is going in depth about it.

Also, the episode about the 2018 MSD shooting made my blood boil.

If you search for it, it's called Confronting, by Wondery. Looks like a lot of good content, thanks for the recommendation!

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

pretty soft girl posted:

I think there's some dispute that this book sort of gets the characterization of Eric and Dylan conflated a bit. There's a school of thought that Dylan was the true sociopath and Eric was a posturing clown who got in over his head, whereas I think the Cullen book paints Eric as a sociopathic mastermind and Dylan as a depressive mope who was manipulated and encouraged by Eric. I can definitely see the former argument as Eric seemed reluctant and apologetic in the last videos before the massacre, whereas Dylan is telling him to hurry up and cut the poo poo. Eric wasn't capable of hiding all of his troublemaking from his parents, while Dylan still went to college fairs and carried on like everything was normal up to the last minute of the massacre

I could be misremebering some of this and I can't speak to the rest of the Cullen book because I haven't read it, but I think thats one of the contentious elements of his narrative

I re-read the book earlier this year.

Eric Harris did hide things from his parents, and while he was sociopathic, he wasn't the greatest at doing the hiding. They just covered their ears and eyes and didn't probe. Harris and Klebold had been caught attempting to steal gear from an abandoned vehicle and were finishing a diversion program at the time of Columbine. Earlier, police failed to do anything when they were alerted to Harris' website, which threatened another teen (one that Klebold remained friends with) and detailed his bomb-making. The Harris family were informed about that, but didn't take anything seriously.

Harris' father, a retired military man, kept a sorta diary and detailed some of his conversations with Eric about incidents he'd gotten into. Eric would superficially put on a good act for a while and his Dad considered the lesson learned and a chapter closed.

Klebold, on the other hand, never could hold his emotions in. When he was angry, he'd explode. It's weird that he was able to hide much from his parents, as they seemed to have a much better relationship. Klebold fired much less than Harris once inside.

Harris did and didn't make college plans. At the end, he was going through the motions with a military recruiter to appease his father. Klebold had been accepted to a school in Arizona and had even made a visit.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Gnoman posted:

What often makes it worse is that a lot of stereotypical Jewish traits show up in media without the associated character being identified as Jewish. So when you run into antisemtism that's mocking those traits, a lot of people won't realize what it is, and treat it as just a mockery of specific common character traits. This can serve as a gateway into the much less coded variety.

Thats absolutely true here. I grew up in Dallas and im not sure I or the people I grew up with have ever even met a Jewish person but there was still a south park style jewish jokes (albeit aimed at no one in particular).

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I just watched Reign of Fire, and it felt like I was watching the last season of Game of Thrones all over again. Same as Game of Thrones, it left me with only one burning question: how the gently caress did this get made?

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

hawowanlawow posted:

I just watched Reign of Fire, and it felt like I was watching the last season of Game of Thrones all over again. Same as Game of Thrones, it left me with only one burning question: how the gently caress did this get made?

It's a sci-fi original movie that accidentally got a AAA budget.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

hawowanlawow posted:

Because they had access to millions of dollars of propane and gas, plus wanted to make a movie where Mad Max fights dragons and somehow it got funded.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Don Gato posted:

Because they had access to millions of dollars of propane and gas, plus wanted to make a movie where Mad Max fights dragons and somehow it got funded.

I haven’t seen it, but “mad max fighting dragons” sounds pretty loving awesome. Sounds like they botched the concept, though :(

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I re-read the book earlier this year.

Eric Harris did hide things from his parents, and while he was sociopathic, he wasn't the greatest at doing the hiding. They just covered their ears and eyes and didn't probe. Harris and Klebold had been caught attempting to steal gear from an abandoned vehicle and were finishing a diversion program at the time of Columbine. Earlier, police failed to do anything when they were alerted to Harris' website, which threatened another teen (one that Klebold remained friends with) and detailed his bomb-making. The Harris family were informed about that, but didn't take anything seriously.

Harris' father, a retired military man, kept a sorta diary and detailed some of his conversations with Eric about incidents he'd gotten into. Eric would superficially put on a good act for a while and his Dad considered the lesson learned and a chapter closed.

Klebold, on the other hand, never could hold his emotions in. When he was angry, he'd explode. It's weird that he was able to hide much from his parents, as they seemed to have a much better relationship. Klebold fired much less than Harris once inside.

Harris did and didn't make college plans. At the end, he was going through the motions with a military recruiter to appease his father. Klebold had been accepted to a school in Arizona and had even made a visit.

The lesson is more that suburban white boys have to literally start shooting people before anyone even starts to think there might be something wrong with them.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

hawowanlawow posted:

There seemed to be a period where people tried to make dragons the next big thing.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Icon Of Sin posted:

I haven’t seen it, but “mad max fighting dragons” sounds pretty loving awesome. Sounds like they botched the concept, though :(

It's actually"tanks versus dragons" and you'd think it was impossible to gently caress that up.

But they did.

The worst part was setting the movie immediately before the dragons destroyed everything and after they destroyed everything, while totally skipping over the whole middle part which is what people actually wanted to see.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Having a massive aerial battle between dragons and Apache gunships in the trailer but not in the actual movie didn't help.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Alhazred posted:

There seemed to be a period where people tried to make dragons the next big thing.
I mean it was right after Lord of the Rings so of course they did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

I'm struggling with the comparison with game of thrones. Like RoF wasn't a great movie by any accounts but it wasn't soul destroying like the poo poo they pumped out at the end of GoT. Not sure how it fits in with aging badly either. It was just an average fantasy movie with cool beards.