Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
"dammit I'm out of bombs, I just want to mine out this big gold deposit and go back to base"

"I know, I'll dig a little hole for these bomb fish I've got so they won't bounce around"

"huh, that kinda looked like it stayed right where I dropped it, I wonder..."

*checks wiki*

:aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

How do I mass produce scarab bombs? I want to have a stock ready for when I start hardmode so I can cut off corruption spread. Farming fossils and getting the ones needed for scarab bombs is a huge chore, can I not just buy them somewhere.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Qubee posted:

How do I mass produce scarab bombs? I want to have a stock ready for when I start hardmode so I can cut off corruption spread. Farming fossils and getting the ones needed for scarab bombs is a huge chore, can I not just buy them somewhere.

you can buy the bombs from the demolitionist, you just need the fossils to make as many scarab bombs as you like. you can't buy scarab bombs anywhere

it's nearly as fast to just farm up mining potions and a chisel, instead. you can mine 3-tall shafts very quickly with the autocursor and as many mining buffs as you can get.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I haven't actually clocked it, but given the delay and need to get out of the blast, scarab bombs are slower than higher-tier hardmode picks. Especially with mining potion/chisel support. With those two and the shroomite digging claw I think you can dig faster than you can run.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
It's better to wait to dig your trenches until after hardmode begins anyway, due to the better digging tools available, and because the generation of the new hallow and corrupt/crimson biomes can spawn over your chasms.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Happy tenth anniversary Terraria! Tenth anniversary spoilers here:

https://terraria.fandom.com/wiki/Secret_world_seeds#Celebrationmk10

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Beat me to it. I just realised today that yesterday marked Terraria's tenth anniversary.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
i am absolutely not worthy enough to do for the worthy on master mode. brain of cthulu took as much prep as most master mode hardmode bosses

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
168 new posts did tloader finally update??

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Holyshoot posted:

168 new posts
Since what, early April?
No tmodloader has not updated yet.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Holyshoot posted:

168 new posts did tloader finally update??

There's like an alpha for 1.4 on its way? Chippy's got a video on it.

https://youtu.be/wxsCHKOvmrs

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Is there a way to control this game with controller or kbm that won't make me go insane and accidentally break all ten fingers?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I mean yeah, kbm is the way to go. I never really had issues with that layout after my first night when I accidentally threw away my pickaxe and my game was over.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I have a few console versions of the game, and it's incredibly frustrating to control without kb+m. Same for Minecraft, which I do not like nearly as much. Terraria was designed for that scheme and trying to map it onto a controller, in my opinion, is like trying to train a duck to say 'moo'. Combined with the fact that the PC version of Terraria is the most content-rich and cheapest, no reason to play any other unless one must.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

JustJeff88 posted:

I have a few console versions of the game, and it's incredibly frustrating to control without kb+m. Same for Minecraft, which I do not like nearly as much. Terraria was designed for that scheme and trying to map it onto a controller, in my opinion, is like trying to train a duck to say 'moo'. Combined with the fact that the PC version of Terraria is the most content-rich and cheapest, no reason to play any other unless one must.

It's true and unfortunate. Also the last update hasn't happened for non-PC devices. I'd love to be able to sit in my comfy chair and play Terraria but it's not happening.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Mayveena posted:

It's true and unfortunate. Also the last update hasn't happened for non-PC devices. I'd love to be able to sit in my comfy chair and play Terraria but it's not happening.

Some months ago I had the simple idea to run an HDMI cable from my gaming PC in my office to my modest television in my living room. This was possibly the smartest thing that I ever did.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I own both the PC and the Switch version and I made myself get accustomed to the Switch controls because the far superior kb+m scheme just can't compete with the ability to play anywhere and playing hands free when docked.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I own both the PC and the Switch version and I made myself get accustomed to the Switch controls because the far superior kb+m scheme just can't compete with the ability to play anywhere and playing hands free when docked.

I can absolutely see the attraction of that, and I envy you as I don't think that I could ever get used to console controls of any sort.

How far behind are the console/mobile versions compared to the PC flagship?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Progression goes all the way to the Moon Lord, but it's missing things like Queen Slime, the teleport pylons and the Otherworld music track. Which I think is all from the Journey's End patch, so one patch behind? For console, at least, no idea about mobile.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I mean, last time I played it for a few hours I got hand cramps for a day. I guess I can go ahead and use controller for combat. Does nobody else find the digging and building fiddly? I want to select tiles, tiles are highlighted, then click execute and my character auto-walks to do the stuff while I sit there and play pat-a-cake.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Progression goes all the way to the Moon Lord, but it's missing things like Queen Slime, the teleport pylons and the Otherworld music track. Which I think is all from the Journey's End patch, so one patch behind? For console, at least, no idea about mobile.

Console controls are rough, but I cannot even imagine trying to play it on iPad or similar. <shudder>

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Started playing this with my friends that love the game. Is melee supposed to suck this much? I don’t see why I would want to smack things when I can do like double that damage from a mile away. Part of me wants to just run at things and beat them to death but I’ve been informed this isn’t that kind of game

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Thumbtacks posted:

Started playing this with my friends that love the game. Is melee supposed to suck this much? I don’t see why I would want to smack things when I can do like double that damage from a mile away. Part of me wants to just run at things and beat them to death but I’ve been informed this isn’t that kind of game

There's a reason why 3/4 of late game "melee" weapons shoot projectiles. Early on the only real benefit is that melee weapons tend to have a lot of knockback, which helps keep contact damage away. Yoyos and boomerangs show up fairly early, which can give you some much needed reach but it's not like there's much reason to specialize early on.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Thumbtacks posted:

True melee is quite a struggle, especially with multiplayer scaling and even moreso if you're playing on expert or master. "Melee" as a build generally begins to rely on melee weapons that shoot Legend of Zelda-esque projectiles, or on yo-yos because they allow you to attack at a relatively safe distance.

If your goal is to use melee-tagged weapons like swords and stuff, then melee is plenty strong once you get the right gear. If your goal is specifically to hit stuff at close range, Terraria isn't a very friendly game.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
They should have given true melee-range weapons a high level of damage mitigation in order to encourage their use and/or add a shield mechanic that the player can slip on when fighting with just a sword or lance.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Yeah I’m probably going to pivot to ranged, we’re close to starting hard mode so I want to nail down a playstyle before we get there. I’ve been looking at a wiki and there’s some class loadout suggestions and stuff and wow there’s a lot of content in this game, I never realized just how much there is.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Thumbtacks posted:

Yeah I’m probably going to pivot to ranged, we’re close to starting hard mode so I want to nail down a playstyle before we get there. I’ve been looking at a wiki and there’s some class loadout suggestions and stuff and wow there’s a lot of content in this game, I never realized just how much there is.

One nice thing is that your class/spec is just tied to your gear, rather than any experience, levels, or skill points. If you decide you don't like a playstyle, just grab some different gear (or save the stuff you find that's for other specs, just in case).

I played with a controller and started out with melee weapons because of the knockback, and I couldn't accurately aim ranged weapons. Eventually got a flail, and just spun that around while I waded into monsters. Kept a ranged weapon around, I think I eventually got a magic weapon with a homing projectile (Flamelash?) that lasted me until hardmode. Once I hit hardmode, I gradually moved over to using summons/magic, because of precision issues playing with a controller and the margin for error with melee/ranged being so small. I still made/kept gear for other specs, just for fun. Eventually made a Terrablade because I had the parts, then a Zenith after some farming.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

The best pre-hardmode ranged experience is Meteor Armor.

It does kind of suck against Expert Skeletron but pretty much everything does.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Then again, if melee basically turns into tanky ranged, maybe that’s what I should be doing since I’m terrible at dodging and just get hit a bunch. Hm.

Also that’s a good point, I’ll experiment and figure some stuff out I guess

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Thumbtacks posted:

Then again, if melee basically turns into tanky ranged, maybe that’s what I should be doing since I’m terrible at dodging and just get hit a bunch. Hm.

Also that’s a good point, I’ll experiment and figure some stuff out I guess

Now now if you are terrible at dodging, there are plenty of ways to cheese most things where you don't have to actually be good at the game, just good at setting up the right arena :getin:

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Potions are stupidly good as well. Iron skin, Endurance, and a food buff trivialize bosses, especially early on.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

quote != edit

I usually do ranged / magic until a specific stupidly broken item becomes available late in the game. At that point it's all melee all the time.

bij fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jun 28, 2021

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

bij posted:

quote != edit

I usually do ranged / magic until a specific stupidly broken item becomes available late in the game. At that point it's all melee all the time.

which one is that, so i can keep an eye out for it?

i'll probably swap around a bunch until i find something i like, i'm just not sure yet. need to play around more i think

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Thumbtacks posted:

which one is that, so i can keep an eye out for it?

i'll probably swap around a bunch until i find something i like, i'm just not sure yet. need to play around more i think

Vampire Knives

You can only obtain them in a Crimson world from a Crimson Chest in the Dungeon post-Plantera. You have to farm up a Crimson Key by killing monsters in the Crimson biome, there's a couple ways to cheese it by controlling spawns and traps / lava. The key can drop at any time but you can only use it in a world where Plantera has been killed. If I play a Corruption world I usually make a small Crimson world on the side to ravage for drops.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

bij posted:

Vampire Knives

I love these and they give me a helpful buffer during the pillars.

The game will pick up for me once TModloader supports the latest patch. There are some sweet mods. Like this:
https://youtu.be/BP9CiCEcDd8

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Is the Switch version of this game more easily controllable and/or have more content than the other non-PC versions? I really want to be able to play this on the go.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
The Switch version will be getting the Journey's End patch a little while after PS4 & XBox One get it. Sometime in Q3 2021.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

I just picked this up in the summer sale and played for an hour or two. Is there anything specific i should be aware of? Am i right in thinking that the lead i've been finding replaces iron in the recipies?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

I just picked this up in the summer sale and played for an hour or two. Is there anything specific i should be aware of? Am i right in thinking that the lead i've been finding replaces iron in the recipies?

yeah your world will spawn with either copper or tin, iron or lead, silver or tungsten, and gold or platinum. it’s mostly a cosmetic difference

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
The new wiki layout is loving dreadful. What prompts people to decide that ignoring the outside fifths of a widescreen monitor is a good thing?