Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Josef bugman posted:

Don't really think I want to be the sad old guy dancing at a club, but I take your meaning.

But it's also not wanting to like something that everyone likes and get derided either for being pedestrian if you do like it, or a snob if you don't.

TBH you really don't have to go to clubs or gigs. I had a bad experience at a gig (namely I got throttled by some oval office because there was no room for his obnoxious kid to squeeze past to the front & I pointed that out a bit rudely) & it's really not been the same for me since but I'm as passionate as ever about music. A lot of it is extremely dumb. You just bop to what you bop too. I guess this is easy for me to say because music has been a huge part of my life since I was a bairn listening excitedly to compilation tapes that my parents had made for themselves. And Michael Jackson, huge Jackson fan before I was a teen.

The great thing with music is that there's so much diversity, from opera to free jazz to trance to whatever the hell you call what Death Grips do. I find a lot of modern hip hop alienating, your stuff like Migos & Fetty Wap, I dunno, guess I prefer more of a thick sound in hip hop, more "wall of sound" like, this is one of my favourite examples which is clearly heavily influenced by guitar music like My Bloody Valentine. But that's cool, everything doesn't have to be for me & honestly? If I as a 30something enjoyed everything that Gen Z's were making then I'd have to wonder why they weren't pushing harder, new music should alienate at least some older people. And meantime there's still artists like Run The Jewels & The Coup who are making poo poo that I love. It's all good. And even if there wasn't, there's 100 years of popular music behind us at this point and lots of amazing poo poo to find. I love listening to oldies. Maybe spin some Miles Davis & you find you love that, or Django Reinhardt or I dunno, maybe you turn out to be a big fan of The Carpenters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Failed Imagineer posted:

England were absolute crap for about 70mins tho, forums or no forums

Yea, they were absolutely abysmal until Grealish came on. Like, embarassingly bad.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I don’t include non-English British people in people who are miserable bastards for moaning about England winning, that’s just part of the fun!

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/PoliticsJOE_UK/status/1410176286681550855

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
come to england get coronas

https://twitter.com/BBCLondonNews/status/1410206997530787842

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Borrovan posted:

I don't watch a lot of football but my friends & partner are mad for it & they're all saying pretty much the same thing as Jakabite :shrug:

& whilst we're on this, something that's been bugging me itt: I can totally get being pissed off about a vocal minority of England fans being cunts, disliking the concept of England as a whole, and just not being into football. I am all of those things. What I don't get is how that translates into relentlessly making GBS threads on something that a whole bunch of other people, most of whom are not cunts, are enjoying. At that point, you're just Being A Dick.

People are having fun watching the football, personally I like to join in because fun is fun but nobody's making you, so just... let people have fun?

e: just for the record this isn't at anyone in particular, just a general sense I'm getting, so I might be shouting at clouds here

The sense you have is correct, and once again to very little surprise it's driven by our terrible media. It's strange that people who are normally able to pick up on when a conversation is being poisoned by the Sun will happily wade into a toxic argument when the football is involved. But the result is everything about England as a national team is incredibly polarising and it drains my soul to be in contact with it. Raheem Sterling was our only goal scorer at the tournament until the 86th minute of that match, and people were still arguing that he's not consistent enough, should be dropped and Southgate should be sacked for picking him. Jack Grealish gets the inverse treatment (wonder why) and can do no wrong, and again Southgate should be sacked for not playing him. For his own record Southgate is now the most successful England manager since 1966, and yet still he should be sacked because he played with two defensive midfielders against Scotland.

There is absolutely no room given for nuance. You say "England did a good job of containing Germany and restricting their chances, but they were nervous in possession and didn't get Kane involved until the later stages", and all you're likely get in response is variations of either "lol they were shite and just got lucky" or "how dare you disrespect are brave lions". If you show the vaguest level of support you immediately get swept up and co-opted into the whole of "it's coming home"/"England fans are the worst on the planet" and made to feel like poo poo because some people whose only shared opinion with you is that they presumably want the same team to win are now booing the players taking a knee live on TV, and you can't avoid the association with them.

Living in Scotland makes this even more uncomfortable because it brings out the worst in otherwise perfectly pleasant people, who manage to be much more positive and optimistic about their own team in defeat than English sentiment usually is, but can't help wishing heaps of misery on England because well, England. I try to distance myself from all of that while enjoying what I can, but this year I got England in the office sweepstake so now I have to be invested and am probably insufferable as a result.

Oh, and for a long time now TRP has just been all of the above but applied to every team and player and expressed in a maximum of eight words per post. Which is kind of funny when you're neutral and incredibly tedious when you're not.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Scikar posted:

It's strange that people who are normally able to pick up on when a conversation is being poisoned by the Sun will happily wade into a toxic argument when the football is involved.

Yup. I find that a large portion of english people Id happily spend large amounts of time with turn into absolutely obnoxious pricks Id rather punch in the face whenever the subject of the england national team is brought up. It's incredlbly odd and I don't really see it with any other nation.

Pork Lift
Oct 9, 2007

Winner of the 2012
:dong: Highway Traffic :dong:
Prediction Razzies

https://twitter.com/mercifull/status/1410196250062897154?s=21

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

His Divine Shadow posted:

I never do honestly, seems like a real bother and time waster. I am actually quite glad every time I remember I never spend any money on music or sports.

e:
not like I don't listen to music, I don't have that thing wher eyou can't appreciate rythm and music (a real syndrome), I just never spend any money or time on it, I just turn on the radio. I just never got people that would spend hours listening to CDs, like a lot of my friends did when I was a kid. I've never cared enough about a band to spend money on CDs, or going to their concerts or other merchandise. I saved my money for videogames and 3D accelerator hardware as a kid.

That sucks. You have my pity.

Honestly, I'm the polar opposite. One of my early memories was getting Phantasy Star for the Master System for Christmas & also getting a Status Quo best of cassette & I'd just turn the volume down on the telly & listen to Rockin' All Over The World. Even to this day when I hear a Status Quo song I get images of wandering through those incredible first person 3D dungeons in my mind's eye. That's part of the amazing power of music for me as well, how strongly it connects to memories in my head. Any time I put on Opeth's My Arms, Your Hearse album & the rain at the start of the opening track starts I'm transferred back to a Saturday afternoon in 2001 or 2002 when I'm 18 or so, laying on my bed with my eyes shut just taking in this new record I'd bought because Metal Hammer were talking about the band a lot & having to open my eyes to check it wasn't actually raining outside just before the choral effect & then the guitar riff opens on April Ethereal. It's kind of amazing & I've got so many of those. Moments of sheer euphoria brought on from gigs, the adrenaline bumping through your veins & it genuinely feels better than orgasm after an incredible show.

But the downside is I hate going to nightclubs because it means listening to someone else's choice of songs & they inevitably play poo poo stuff & I still grumble about rock nights that would play the same 20-30 songs in any venue up & down the country regardless of DJ & it was so dull. And the radio I find a very hard listen too, I really struggle to abide listening to music that I don't enjoy. So that's a bit annoying from a social perspective.

I still prefer to play games where I can just turn the volume off & stick on some Melt Banana.

(I wasn't kidding when I said I can become the pub bore when it comes to music)

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jun 30, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
This just reminded me of one of the coolest things of the first gen of widespread consoles to have CD players (Playstation/Saturn etc.) where if you could get around the copy protection (could be anything from a toothpick to a modchip to emulating the whole device) you could burn a CD with the ROM on track one and whatever the hell you wanted on all the other tracks, and play the game with all the sound effects and your own soundtrack.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

This just reminded me of one of the coolest things of the first gen of widespread consoles to have CD players (Playstation/Saturn etc.) where if you could get around the copy protection (could be anything from a toothpick to a modchip to emulating the whole device) you could burn a CD with the ROM on track one and whatever the hell you wanted on all the other tracks, and play the game with all the sound effects and your own soundtrack.

Only vaguely related but Vib Ribbon was so loving amazing to me at the time. A GAME WHERE I CAN PUT IN MY PIXIES CD & IT IMPACTS THE GAME? HEAVEN

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Julio Cruz posted:

England had one shot on target in the first half but no guys I swear they were actually playing really well honest
If you look back through international tournaments, all the winners are free flowing attacking sides that aren't too worried about conceding.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

football's spreading 'vid
it's spreading 'vid
it's spreading

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Comedy answer for the non-music lovers: try out GBS.FM !. Basically, a repository of all sorts of music, much of which is - admittedly - borderline unlistenable or simply poo poo, but it's rare I walk away from 2-3 hours of listening without having checked out a couple of new artists.

And it's actually helped me tolerate death metal/black metal to a point I never thought I would.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

I was the first of my friends to have a car at 17 so I was always designated driver to the nearest decent gigs (in Exeter! which was an hours drive to the Cavern or the Lemon Grove at the uni). It did kind of suck to be sober every time but i have a lot of good memories of driving out to see Hundred Reasons for the umpteenth time

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

Chubby Henparty posted:

When life returns to normal I really want to go see the Sleaford Mods, but in a venue with comfy seats and a sound desk willing to make reasonable adjustments for my delicate disposition (thinking of seeing New Order years back where people were rushing the booth pleading for them to turn it down cos it was literally doing harm and spoiling the show and being told to gently caress off)

I got some slightly fancy earbuds (that try to dampen all frequencies by the same amount so it sounds quieter without being muffled) and it’s improved my gig-going 100%.

Apropos, here’s a pic I took of Sunn O)))’s amplifier setup

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Sunn O))) live is an experience that everyone should get to feel at least once. Just getting massaged & occasionally battered by soundwaves is a hell of an experience.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Likewise, everyone should try to go to at least one metal show in their life. A proper mosh is life affirming.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

forkboy84 posted:

Sunn O))) live is an experience that everyone should get to feel at least once. Just getting massaged & occasionally battered by soundwaves is a hell of an experience.

Electric Wizard are like that, almost hypnotic sound then crushing riffs. Amazing live.

Whitey Snipes
Nov 30, 2004

Gorn Myson posted:

If you look back through international tournaments, all the winners are free flowing attacking sides that aren't too worried about conceding.

Greece, Euro 2004.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Whitey Snipes posted:

Greece, Euro 2004.

A shameful performance, football at its direst. No wonder the EU punished them, and rightly so.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I like it when da man score the goal and everyone goes yay

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Whitey Snipes posted:

Greece, Euro 2004.
Thats the joke. You will get teams that win the trophy that get a high scoring match or two somewhere, but for the most part its more sensible to keep your defence tight and control the game. Which is what England did yesterday. They didn't put five past Croatia, but they didn't concede three against them either.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Likewise, everyone should try to go to at least one metal show in their life. A proper mosh is life affirming.

Ah for the days of my teens where I'd get my face caught in an absolute unit's sweaty armpit midmosh and not be able to smell anything else until I washed my face

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Jedit posted:

In my right hand Snickers, in my left hand Mars
My England manager - Karl Marx

Idgaf that I'm diving backwards faster than Pickford making a routine save, I appreciated this reference

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Baddiel will also block you immediately on twitter any time you ask him about that time he performed in blackface.

lol he's going to be loving pissed at 'trending on' twitter today then

https://twitter.com/search?q=%22Jason%20Lee%22&src=trend_click&vertical=trends

Lots of 'Oh hey Baddiel's a bit of a poo poo isn't he' going on (also cunts saying 'lol a black mans hair looked ridiculous, thats not racist!')

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

In Other Sports news the end of yesterday's tour de France stage was amazing.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

NoneMoreNegative posted:

lol he's going to be loving pissed at 'trending on' twitter today then

https://twitter.com/search?q=%22Jason%20Lee%22&src=trend_click&vertical=trends

Lots of 'Oh hey Baddiel's a bit of a poo poo isn't he' going on (also cunts saying 'lol a black mans hair looked ridiculous, thats not racist!')

jack grealish has possibly the dumbest hair I've ever seen in the england team so it's not even deniable racism. Lad's got gullwing doors opening onto his face.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Gorn Myson posted:

Thats the joke. You will get teams that win the trophy that get a high scoring match or two somewhere, but for the most part its more sensible to keep your defence tight and control the game. Which is what England did yesterday. They didn't put five past Croatia, but they didn't concede three against them either.

Yeah, and even when there are apparent exceptions to the rule (Brazil in 1970, Netherlands in 1988, Spain in 2010) it's only because people were so in awe of them going forwards that they turned a blind eye to what utter shithouses they were in defence. The England team in 1966, which I'm reliably informed was quite an important year, may have had classy players like Bobbies Moore and Charlton, but they were also *hated* by the rest of the world for the negative 4-4-2 they played, and the more flair players were paired up with dirty bastards Jackie Charlton and Nobby Stiles.

England still have a lot of room for improvement - for whatever reason Kane just isn't clicking with the rest of the team (I'm certain he's injured because even by his standards he's been pretty much immobile all tournament), the wingbacks just aren't working out either in defence or attack, and the back 3 occasionally trip over each other - but apart from the second half against Scotland and the first 15 minutes against Germany we've never looked *bad*.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Josef bugman posted:

Don't really think I want to be the sad old guy dancing at a club, but I take your meaning.

But it's also not wanting to like something that everyone likes and get derided either for being pedestrian if you do like it, or a snob if you don't.

Personally, my experience of getting older is caring less and less about others opinions of my choices and tastes.

I've heard it said that it's a common phenomenon, and a large part of why it's harder to make friends as an adult.

I find it easier to listen to music alone now, and much harder to pick something in a social situation.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Spangly A posted:

jack grealish has possibly the dumbest hair I've ever seen in the england team so it's not even deniable racism. Lad's got gullwing doors opening onto his face.

It's always fun when he's on the pitch to watch the commentators and pundits tie themselves in knots to not use the words "diving little oval office" when describing him.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Juche Couture posted:

I got some slightly fancy earbuds (that try to dampen all frequencies by the same amount so it sounds quieter without being muffled) and it’s improved my gig-going 100%.

Apropos, here’s a pic I took of Sunn O)))’s amplifier setup

That reminds me of somebody in the space flight thread posting about how big rock concerts and acoustic/vibration testing for rockets need to be scheduled around each other because they both require absolutely massive amounts of amplifiers.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Fair play to Smithers here he's got a heartbreaking story about a kid dying under lockdown and Johnson just calls him obsessed with the Westminster bubble https://twitter.com/PoliticsJOE_UK/status/1410221639145558019

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's always fun when he's on the pitch to watch the commentators and pundits tie themselves in knots to not use the words "diving little oval office" when describing him.

You don't become the most fouled player in a premier league season without a few knocks

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

forkboy84 posted:

Any time I put on Opeth's My Arms, Your Hearse album & the rain at the start of the opening track starts I'm transferred back to a Saturday afternoon in 2001 or 2002 when I'm 18 or so, laying on my bed with my eyes shut just taking in this new record I'd bought because Metal Hammer were talking about the band a lot & having to open my eyes to check it wasn't actually raining outside just before the choral effect & then the guitar riff opens on April Ethereal. It's kind of amazing & I've got so many of those. Moments of sheer euphoria brought on from gigs, the adrenaline bumping through your veins & it genuinely feels better than orgasm after an incredible show.

(I wasn't kidding when I said I can become the pub bore when it comes to music)

I saw this scroll by without noticing your av and I thought 'I bet that's Forkboy' and it was.

keep punching joe posted:

Don't overthink liking music, just go with what makes your hair stand on end and gently caress everyone elses opinions.

I grew up in a quite large family, we all had wildly differing musical tastes: dad was the dad who given the option on Xmas Day between James Bond or the 5 hour BBC rendition of Tosca (on the one and only family tv and long before the interwebs existed) would force us to have bloody Tosca on, my sister and her appalling taste for 'come on baby let me love you tonight and make babies and oh how big this bed is without you beside me' crud music (for those old enough to remember Lenny Henry's Theophilus P Wildebeest character - that sort of shite), my brothers and their various soft metal, blues stuff, and me, with of course the best, the only decent taste in music. It was sport in our family to rubbish everyone elses' tastes in music and defend our own. I was mortified to get to uni and beyond to discover that other people weren't used to that and got quite upset if I criticized their taste in music, when I was expecting them to be used to defending their corner.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I went in the mosh pit once and got a black eye. I skirted round it from then on. I was determined to stage dive before my 30th birthday - crap that was over 30 years ago now - but somehow I always ended up minding the guys' leather jackets while they did it. Never did stage dive and I doubt I will now!

crispix posted:

it saddens me that you don't see proper old grannies anymore who were so common when i was wee. it was like when a woman of that generation hit a certain age there was a rite of passage after which she went around in those little fleecey booties that zipped up the front and wore headscarves and trundled around a big tartan shopping trolley and also a gigantic handbag from which she could produce anything from sticking plasters to those screwdrivers with 3 different heads that looked a bit like a ninja-type throwing weapon to jump leads

also old men who shuffled about in suits and trainers

I compare myself now to my grannies when they were the same age and so so different. They were both 'little old ladies' 5ft 1", one wore a head square, the other wore one of those slightly furry felt hats with a small feather in it. One wore 'court' shoes and one of those coats with fake cur collars, the other wore fleecey booties.
Now I look at my sister who is an actual granny (I'm just granny age) and her general arty appearance, long hair, denim dungarees, flip flops, ankle bracelets, toe nail polish, and me with my jeans, t-shirts, big boots (actually there's a reason for that, my trainers aggravate my periformis badly, a lesson I relearn every summer).
My mum is a great-grandma and wears jeans and looks well in them.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jun 30, 2021

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

This might be the worst and most boring football I've ever forced myself through. Good lord it was awful. Almost exclusively safe passes around the middle until the opponent died of boredom and they broke through. Oh and infinite stamine for tactical off the ball fouling courtesy of Dr Fuentes

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

keep punching joe posted:

Don't overthink liking music, just go with what makes your hair stand on end and gently caress everyone elses opinions.
I got some lovely expensive headphones for my 40th and have been listening to a lot of music daily, but I am reluctant to say I like any music because as soon as you say you like anything, a whole cadre of people slide out from under rocks to tell you why you're wrong to like it, and why you should be listening to guatemalan steel pipe funk on wax cylinders.

I like listening to music that makes me happy thanks. I have never seen any of them live and will continue to enjoy music without doing so, and you can't stop me.

Mr Phillby posted:

Its their job to score goals and they only got two of them loving pathetic.
They actually scored 8 goals but three of them were cancelled by the woke left, and the other three were taxed by brussels bureaucrats!!!

Whorelord posted:

its coming home

forkboy84 posted:

Only vaguely related but Vib Ribbon was so loving amazing to me at the time. A GAME WHERE I CAN PUT IN MY PIXIES CD & IT IMPACTS THE GAME? HEAVEN
I kind of wish Rez had worked like that, but it'd have to be able to break down songs into their constituent parts and THEN dynamically generate a course based on it, which sounds like a lot.

Rez was great.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jun 30, 2021

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I got some lovely expensive headphones for my 40th and have been listening to a lot of music daily, but I am reluctant to say I like any music because as soon as you say you like anything, a whole cadre of people slide out from under rocks to tell you why you're wrong to like it, and why you should be listening to guatemalan steel pipe funk on wax cylinders.

Agreed, and that's why I'll never admit to liking Ska.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
World Cup 2010 was a surreal one in my mind, we were on a family holiday in Jersey with most of my cousins and aunts/uncles, I was too young to really go anywhere by myself, I think I watched every single game the 2 weeks I was there and the only thing I remember is a Giovanni Van Bronkhurst rocket goal

that was the same week the whole Raul Moat thing was kicking off too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I like listening to music that makes me happy thanks. I have never seen any of them live and will continue to enjoy music without doing so, and you can't stop me.

This is true. There is no band/performer/type of music in existence which, when mentioned, won't cause someone to laugh at you and call you an idiot for liking it. I have no idea why anyone would do that, but it's a thing, so I keep all that to myself. A bit sad, but there you go.

E: linked to this, people who say "I have terrible taste in music" - surely this either means "The music I like, I don't like" or "The music I like subjectively, I'm aware that it's actually bad when measured by some mysterious objective standard". Just own it!