Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Injured teams beating other injured teams

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Yossarian-22 posted:

Injured teams beating other injured teams

If the Clippers pull it out after three comeback seven-game series and losing their best player they deserve three titles. Mentally, I will be taking two from the Lakers and reassigning them to the Clips in this eventuality.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Why would anyone want Simmons he is garbage and philly needs to trade him for a couple basketballs and some locker room carpeting before his value plummets even further.

some sort of fish
Apr 25, 2011
bucks minus giannis should still be favorites over the hawks minus trey, but im gonna guess giannis going down saves buds job even if they blow it

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

some sort of fish posted:

bucks minus giannis should still be favorites over the hawks minus trey, but im gonna guess giannis going down saves buds job even if they blow it

you would think so but even when giannis was on court yesterday the bucks were outplayed by the traeless hawks

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the hawks are good

it is known

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

euphronius posted:

He would be the best passing center in the league if he played center by a lot

Oh it makes sense now, you’ve never seen Jokic play.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The Maestro posted:

I was referring to centers only.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

euphronius has never actually seen an NBA game. when the Sixers are on, he sits in front of a blank television, closes his eyes, and taps into the collective unconscious of every basketball fan around the world. emerging from his trance hours later, he understands what happened that day in the NBA with perfect clarity

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

the allegory of the cave except instead of shadows it's 6-8 hours of Sixers podcasts

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
he’s right about Jokic not being a center.

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin

The Maestro posted:

I’m the Jokic, baby!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
what do you get when you cross a playmaking centre with a leaguewide MVP vote? You get what you loving deserve!

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
He guards other centers.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
Scott O'neil is OUT in philly. excellent news.
https://twitter.com/sixers/status/1410236876536094721?s=19

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The Maestro posted:

He guards other centers.

not really.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That’s like saying trae young guards people.

He’s on the court I guess.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

jokic is a good passer obviously. he’s tall.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1410248104532611074?s=21

Like to see Fiz get another shot eventually

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
He’s also obviously a center. Simmons wouldn’t be able to play center because he can’t actually guard 5s despite his claims otherwise.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The Maestro posted:

He’s also obviously a center. Simmons wouldn’t be able to play center because he can’t actually guard 5s despite his claims otherwise.

same analysis applies to jokic. at least Simmons can switch and guard the perimeter which is invaluable for center defense

looks it’s fine if you think jokic passes well . he does. it’s just the phrase “best passing cente ever “ is dumb. he doesn’t really play center and other other better players would be better than him if they played the way Denver plays. Larry bird was way better at passing than jokic and would be a better “center” than him. as mentioned Simmons is an excellent passer and would play better “center” defense than jokic who is just a 0 and gets killed

if you played lebron in jokic role on Denver you would have to say lebron is the best passing center ever. it’s silly.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

euphronius posted:

He would be the best passing center in the league if he played center by a lot

euphronius posted:

it’s just the phrase “best passing cente ever “ is dumb.

Perimeter defense is invaluable for a center, yes, but it’s not the end all be all. Rim protection is first and foremost. You severely underrate Jokic’s defense because you don’t watch him play. I’m not saying he’s a great defender but he would be a better defensive center than LeBron or Simmons while still providing the insane level of offense that he does. Jokic is fine on defense. Jokic has a career 107 Drtg/100. Embiid is 103 and Rudy is 100. Jokic was 5th in defensive WS last year which is whatever (Randle was 2nd, Westbrook was 12) but Giannis was 6th and Embiid was 11. Not saying he’s a better defender than either of those guys but he’s at least better than you give him credit for.

You may trust your eye test more than stats but I don’t trust your eyes at all. You’re leading these poor CSPAM posters astray with such takes as Klay Thompson being a more valuable player than Curry

edit: saying LeBron as center would be the best passing center is like, no poo poo, he’s one of the best passers period of all time

The Maestro fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 30, 2021

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

*uses a bunch of admittedly poor metrics* actually it is my subjective and flawed measurements which are correct

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

defensive WS is a completely meaningless stat

I have no doubt that jokic is by default the center because Denver stupidly does not play a center with him and there is nothing else you can call him. I’m just saying it’s dumb and misleading to attach stats to that because he’s only a center by default because there isn’t anywhere else they can play him. they should play him “somewhere else” and get an actual center. he’s akin to a DH in baseball. there is no where else to put him but you have to put him somewhere so since he’s tall everyone just agrees it’s “C”. but he isn’t actually a center. i don’t understand why they don’t hide him as a “forward” or even the Pg. you can get away with having him as center in the regular season because he is as you say so good at offense . but in the playoffs you get cooked . it would be much easier to hide him by playing him at PG with an actual center playing. jokic could actually just stay under the opposing teams basket and never run back. this would facilitate the fast real because no one would be waiting for him to walk up the court

I mean could jokic seriously be worse at PG defense than Trae Young? no way

euphronius fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jun 30, 2021

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Euphronius is turning me into the joker

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

His position should be more honestly listed as “N/A” or “none”

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
My body is ready for the Clippers to disappoint me in a whole new way tonight.

some sort of fish
Apr 25, 2011

vyelkin posted:

you would think so but even when giannis was on court yesterday the bucks were outplayed by the traeless hawks

i wasnt able to watch this game, sparing me from viewing the disgusting blight that is the bucks offensive scheme.

i imagine that it managed to be uglier and more of an affront to god despite giannis only having ~3 quarters to shoot uncontested off the dribble 3s with 20 seconds on the shot clock left.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Algund Eenboom posted:

Euphronius is turning me into the joker

lol yea

euphronius posted:

defensive WS is a completely meaningless stat

I have no doubt that jokic is by default the center because Denver stupidly does not play a center with him and there is nothing else you can call him. I’m just saying it’s dumb and misleading to attach stats to that because he’s only a center by default because there isn’t anywhere else they can play him. they should play him “somewhere else” and get an actual center. he’s akin to a DH in baseball. there is no where else to put him but you have to put him somewhere so since he’s tall everyone just agrees it’s “C”. but he isn’t actually a center. i don’t understand why they don’t hide him as a “forward” or even the Pg. you can get away with having him as center in the regular season because he is as you say so good at offense . but in the playoffs you get cooked . it would be much easier to hide him by playing him at PG with an actual center playing. jokic could actually just stay under the opposing teams basket and never run back. this would facilitate the fast real because no one would be waiting for him to walk up the court

I mean could jokic seriously be worse at PG defense than Trae Young? no way

I see your point, but I disagree. He plays center because he’s a center? He should just stay under the other teams basket? wtf are you on my man

indigi posted:

*uses a bunch of admittedly poor metrics* actually it is my subjective and flawed measurements which are correct

It’s not hard to actually watch the players play and use the objective stats to inform the subjective opinion of the eye test

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

The Maestro posted:

It’s not hard to actually watch the players play and use the objective stats to inform the subjective opinion of the eye test

in what way is defensive win shares objective? not only do you have to choose which basic statistics to include and how they’re weighted, it ignores the large portion of the game that’s unquantified

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
euphronius is Vivek Ranadive but with the 3 center lineups of the 2019-20 Sixers

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I'm kissing every Orthodox Icon I can, praying to God that he speeds Giannis's recovery.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

indigi posted:

in what way is defensive win shares objective? not only do you have to choose which basic statistics to include and how they’re weighted, it ignores the large portion of the game that’s unquantified

Defensive WS measures defensive efficiency and minutes played basically. 1 DWS = 1 win added to the team’s record. Jokic plays a lot of minutes and plays pretty efficient defense. Stats are not the end all be all but should be used as a tool to inform what you are seeing, rather than ignored entirely because of “fantasy basketball mentality.” If you have an opinion on a player but the stats say the opposite, you should investigate both your opinion and the stat and try to get a clearer picture. The stats are just numbers. They don’t have opinions - some of them may have biases, but that can be taken into account.

some sort of fish
Apr 25, 2011
if somebody watches ben simmons and thinks "drat this guy is a great shot creator" then u can just ignore everything they say, no need to write 3 paragraphs proving that their eyes dont work

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

The Maestro posted:

edit: saying LeBron as center would be the best passing center is like, no poo poo, he’s one of the best passers period of all time

i'm going to play steve nash at centre just so i can say i have the best passign centre

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

vyelkin posted:

i'm going to play steve nash at centre just so i can say i have the best passign centre

oh man just imagine if you could play Jokic at point with Nash at center

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

The Maestro posted:

Defensive WS measures defensive efficiency and minutes played basically. 1 DWS = 1 win added to the team’s record. Jokic plays a lot of minutes and plays pretty efficient defense. Stats are not the end all be all but should be used as a tool to inform what you are seeing, rather than ignored entirely because of “fantasy basketball mentality.” If you have an opinion on a player but the stats say the opposite, you should investigate both your opinion and the stat and try to get a clearer picture. The stats are just numbers. They don’t have opinions - some of them may have biases, but that can be taken into account.

Jokic is one of those players for whom stats disagree a lot, at least for his defense. He has great DWS numbers (4th) but a much worse Defensive Rating (76th). Both stats have their problems, but it feels like the truth is in the middle. He's an average defensive player, not a liability but also not someone who should be called a good defender.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
having a great lil chortle at this deranged "jokic is not a center" take

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

ex post facho posted:

having a great lil chortle at this deranged "jokic is not a center" take

with his body type, he's really more of an H-Back but you don't see those in the league much anymore. hard to find a guy that big with hands like that these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Sure, I’m not saying he’s great, but he’s definitely good. he’s ranked 76th in drtg on bbref but that’s not filtered for a minimum minutes played - Gary Payton II is first on that list (with a 150+ Ortg to boot). He’s ranked 15th at statmuse with minimum 2000 mins played per 82 games (https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/nba-defensive-rating-leaders-2021)

he’s ranked 7th on the stats.nba’s Defensive Dashboard which accounts for opp FG % and the like.