Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

LLSix posted:

Ben is a professional games journalist. Asking to get paid for doing his job is not unreasonable.

I don’t currently have an opinion on if he’s any good at it, but refusing to pay journalists is how we end up with advertisers and/or rich assholes controlling the news.

You caught me, it's true, I don't want journalists to get paid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

LLSix posted:

Ben is a professional games journalist. Asking to get paid for doing his job is not unreasonable.

I don’t currently have an opinion on if he’s any good at it, but refusing to pay journalists is how we end up with advertisers and/or rich assholes controlling the news.

If only he would put his garbage hot takes behind a paywall where nobody would have to see them by accident.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

LLSix posted:

That makes sense for if you do report on something, but picking a fight on twitter and then demanding payment to hear justification for your statements is closer to being a professional troll.

A twitter argument isn't something you should expect to get paid for, and he entered it willingly.

raditts posted:

If only he would put his garbage hot takes behind a paywall where nobody would have to see them by accident.

:lol:

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Ben Kuchera has been an annoying contrarian moron about VR for years now. I think he was also the guy at Penny Arcade who he compared using a PS4 controllers to touching tittles for the first time. Dude’s a freak.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
https://twitter.com/caravanmalice/status/1410112243144937479?s=20

This is the best thing I've seen on the internet in some time, loving lol

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

https://mobile.twitter.com/BenKuchera/status/1410092353067569166

Saying a bunch of stupid poo poo causing everyone to yell at him was all a part of a genius scheme to get people to point out what he said was a bunch of stupid poo poo. The narcissistic version of "sorry, sorry I'll take it down".

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I appreciate Ben Kuchera going on a gigantic Twitter rager in a desperate attempt to remind everyone he exists.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

LLSix posted:

professional games journalist

lol

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

I can't tell any difference when I switch my Oculus2 to 120 refresh rate, Echo Arena and Smash Drums and the browser all look the same.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
The Index controls for Thumper are clumsy. I went into the menus to rebind things but couldn't make heads or tails of it.

I mostly want to unbind Menu from left trigger and make that the 'crash' action, which is stupidly dpad press on both controllers by default. Which fucks with slaloming through turns for me.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Imagine considering being 'the next Steve Jobs' as something bad. Most people would kill for being the next Steve Jobs.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Turin Turambar posted:

Imagine considering being 'the next Steve Jobs' as something bad. Most people would kill for being the next Steve Jobs.

I sure would love to be a huge douchebag and become rich by exploiting my friends.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Rectus posted:

I sure would love to be a huge douchebag and become rich by exploiting my friends.

Don't forget dying because you chose to basically make up your own treatment plan to a disease that was highly treatable!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lmao. Gottem

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I'll break up Kuchella '21 a bit just to point out a hilarious glitch I had in Thrill of the Fight. I was fighting Duke for the first time, and in the second round I caught him on the chin with a left jab only for him to just loving telewarp into the overhead light fixture and stay there. Just kind of T-posed and got Poochie'd into the sky. The Jumbotron was also glitched and showing nothing but a void full of stretched geometry, while the ref kept looking up at Duke.

I won, by the way.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Anything cool I should grab in the steam sale? Boneworks or vertigo worth it? I could also use another arcadey style game for when people come over to try out vr. I have audica and beat saber and pistol whip. Any other fun small unique experiences?

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Stan Taylor posted:

Anything cool I should grab in the steam sale? Boneworks or vertigo worth it? I could also use another arcadey style game for when people come over to try out vr. I have audica and beat saber and pistol whip. Any other fun small unique experiences?

Boneworks is my favorite VR game, but I'm basically immune to nausea from VR, and am forgiving of jank.

I've been liking Until you Fall a lot more than I thought I would.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Some recs:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/448850/Overload/
Overload is a spiritual successor to Descent, made by many of the same devs. The VR support is good, no VR controls but it plays fantastic with a gamepad.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/916840/The_Walking_Dead_Saints__Sinners/
Saints and Sinners is a story driven immersive sim with physics based combat. One of the best VR games, I've put dozens of hours into it.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/334540/Vox_Machinae/
The single player content is very slight and the multiplayer community isn't super active. Still, it's the best VR mech game out there and if you can organize a game it can be a hell of a lot of fun. VR controls are supported, the cockpit is completely interactable and is one of the best examples of it's type.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/844040/RUSH/
Rush is wingsuit racing game. Surprisingly comfortable with a great sense of speed, though the environments are kind of basic.

As for what to show beginners, there still isn't much better than Valve's The Lab. The photogrammetry environments still looks great on modern headsets and it lets people play and explore things at their own pace.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Rectus posted:

I remember reading once from the guy who came up with the jog wheel on the original iPod, replying to some career advice about working at Apple.

It boiled down to "if you want to work to fulfill impossible design decisions (no piece of music is more than three clicks away) then go work for Steve Jobs. If you want to actually come up with a solution (the jog wheel) and have Steve himself tell you it's "poo poo", only to have him take and suggest your own idea back to you later like it was his own, then yes, by all loving means, go work for Steve Jobs." I always wondered if it was actually true, but either way it's pretty much Jobs.txt

E: or young Steve Wozniak making a breakout game & Jobs telling him he could sell that and they'll split the money 50:50. He sold the rights and handled Wozniak like $300 as his half. Wozniak many many years later completely by accident found out he got totally screwed -- it was sold for WAY more than his friend claimed at the time.

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jun 30, 2021

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

SCheeseman posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/334540/Vox_Machinae/
The single player content is very slight and the multiplayer community isn't super active. Still, it's the best VR mech game out there and if you can organize a game it can be a hell of a lot of fun. VR controls are supported, the cockpit is completely interactable and is one of the best examples of it's type.

Is there some kind of co-op thing I can do with a friend or is it just get in a party and play competitive multiplayer if you can find other people to play with?

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

Beer_Suitcase posted:

I can't tell any difference when I switch my Oculus2 to 120 refresh rate, Echo Arena and Smash Drums and the browser all look the same.

Ball movement in Eleven Table Tennis is way smoother, but I had to turn the graphics settings so far down to get 120 fps that it made me feel shortsighted, so I went back to 90 :(
(playing locally, not streamed from PC)

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Stan Taylor posted:

I'm always down to shill for Vertigo Remastered. Spend the extra $0.55 or whatever and get the complete version because it comes with a cool map editor (all done in VR--takes time getting used to all the controls and the UI but it's surprisingly impressive) and an extra few weapons to use in the campaign. It's a semi-pro Half-Life that will take 5-7 hours to beat, depending on whether you wanna look for collectibles or not. There are orange goop pickups that you can use to gain more abilities and tons of hidden easter eggs/cheevos. If you're going completionist, I can see it taking much longer than 7 hours because some of the achievements are obscure. I really enjoyed the pacing of the game and loved exploring every nook of every level. It's an experience that has stuck with me since beating it and I've spent probably five times as long thinking about the game as I did playing it. Really cool poo poo and I can't wait for Vertigo 2.

Jet Island is $12.99 and quite a bit shorter (took me about 8 hours to get 100% completion on my save file), but it is a ton of fun and I still boot it up every once in a while to play with modifiers. Boneworks makes me sick every time I play it, so I thought the high speeds of Jet Island would be bad, but I only ever really had an issue in one spot. Slight Jet Island spoiler: You can get on the underside of the island and grapple across it for a collectible, but it almost made my stomach turn. It's a long trek and the constant swinging with nothing underneath almost did my stomach in. Had to take a few ~20 sec breaks to compose myself.

Almost 2 years and several hundred hours in VR, those are still my two favorite experiences that aren't Alyx.

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jun 30, 2021

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Stan Taylor posted:

I think he was also the guy at Penny Arcade who he compared using a PS4 controllers to touching tittles for the first time. Dude’s a freak.
Wait what!?!?!

*googles*

https://web.archive.org/web/2013062...-best-thing-eve

quote:

It felt almost too good, like I was holding something illicit. I was afraid it would be taken away. It felt like the first time I touched a girl’s breast in the backseat of a car with fogged up windows, scared that her parents were going to fling the door open and start yelling at me. I wanted to grab the controller and run. I wanted to nuzzle it against my face and ask it who is a good controller? Who is a good controller?
You’re a good controller, you sexy thing, you.
:stare:

Later he also compares holding the controller to feeling his impending child kicking for the first time the previous day.

And this is all about the DualShock 4, a device that was a larger change than usual for Sony but still far from revolutionary.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Gamers are not well.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

wolrah posted:

Wait what!?!?!

*googles*

Later he also compares holding the controller to feeling his impending child kicking for the first time the previous day.

And this is all about the DualShock 4, a device that was a larger change than usual for Sony but still far from revolutionary.

There's a reason he got laughed out of the industry and was never taken seriously again.

Just kidding he got hired immediately by Polygon.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

njsykora posted:

There's a reason he got laughed out of the industry and was never taken seriously again.

Just kidding he got hired immediately by Polygon.

I blame Tim Rogers for legitimising this kind of garbage back in the 00s.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I guess this is a puzzle game with story?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiKAmeq0HDs

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

im having a bit of an existential crisis here guys
I picked up HL Alyx and Boneworks, psyched to give them a shot.

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

just gonna do whatever I want to do, all the time

wolrah posted:

Wait what!?!?!

*googles*

quote:

It felt almost too good, like I was holding something illicit. I was afraid it would be taken away. It felt like the first time I touched a girl’s breast in the backseat of a car with fogged up windows, scared that her parents were going to fling the door open and start yelling at me. I wanted to grab the controller and run. I wanted to nuzzle it against my face and ask it who is a good controller? Who is a good controller?
You’re a good controller, you sexy thing, you.

i don't like the guy either & his take on VR devs obviously sucks, but y'all are taking dumb jokes too seriously

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

LLSix posted:

Hes a reviewer with poo poo takes and bad opinions. The ONLY thing that he does funny sometimes is poo poo post. Generally though, his hot takes suck. (VR stuff, dont give a poo poo about him otherwise tbqh)

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jun 30, 2021

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Faux Mulder posted:

i don't like the guy either & his take on VR devs obviously sucks, but y'all are taking dumb jokes too seriously

I remember that article going up and it was not a joke article, he was super defensive when people started mocking him for it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

What's everyone using to clean their lenses? Plain old microfiber cloth like these? I bought one of those lens pen things last time it came up and I find the pad sorta sticks to the lenses on the quest as I wipe it down which makes it a pain and doesn't work very well. I've been using it to clean my glasses though and it works very well for that!

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

explosivo posted:

What's everyone using to clean their lenses? Plain old microfiber cloth like these? I bought one of those lens pen things last time it came up and I find the pad sorta sticks to the lenses on the quest as I wipe it down which makes it a pain and doesn't work very well. I've been using it to clean my glasses though and it works very well for that!

Clean Microfiber is good, but should be replaced after a few uses. They pick up dirt and cause scratches.

Lens pens are good as a quality one is self cleaning, but I didnt like using them as it was kinda trash at removing dried sweat. They are meant for dusting and light cleaning in between cleans anyway.

I prefer Zeiss or other optical wipes. If you get the bigger ones I start with my VR lenses, then my glasses, then my sunglasses, then any dirty set of safety lenses. The smaller ones should really only be used to clean one or two items.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
People say the wipe solution wrecks the plastic lenses but I really haven't seen any direct evidence. The lens pens are the way to go and they remove sweat just fine if you wipe firmly

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

explosivo posted:

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

People say the wipe solution wrecks the plastic lenses but I really haven't seen any direct evidence. The lens pens are the way to go and they remove sweat just fine if you wipe firmly

My cv1 has lived in a tub, with all kinds of VR poo poo crushing it.
It was my main headset for a long time. It got wiped out with tshirts and whatever rag i could find at the time.

Its fine. just like every other headset ive stopped caring about shortly after the new smell wore off. Including my index.

Also polywatch exists, so who cares.

EDIT: https://amzn.to/3Ad3qFT

Those are the current "rags" we use in general for all the things. Its what im wiping my headsets out atm. Pretty soft actually.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jun 30, 2021

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

Glass solution will wreck plastic lenses over time. Optical wipes are made for plastic lenses.

What pen do you have?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I might just keep using my t-shirt.. I feel like I must be doing something wrong with this lens pen (Nikon), either pushing too hard or not pushing hard enough, because it feels 'tacky' when I run the pad across the lens like there's a film on it and I almost always have to wipe it down with my shirt afterwards and it makes a world of difference.

Also, I played some more Arizona Sunshine with my friend last night and it's clearly early VR as hell but that game's alright. I've since learned to be okay with full locomotion and it makes a big difference being able to walk around instead of teleport in that game. That said the player models look hilariously bad moving around. Seeing my friend crab walking up to me in the dark cave level wearing a creepy mask was one of the more terrifying experiences I've had in VR.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
I have a nikon pen and a noname pen and they both work pretty well. It does feel like there's drag on the pen but that's a feature as it's adept at grabbing all the foreign material on the surface.

Technique is to do little circles with the pen starting at the center of the lens then moving outwards. Most of my vr use is for exercise but the little circles with the lens pen seems to do the trick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Woohoo, my Index arrived 2 hours ago. Pretty painless setup, although I think my bed is interfering with Room Scale while trying to set up the perimeter so I just configured it for "Stationary Mode". Played a good amount of Beat Saber and the first mission in Alyx but then my face needed a break from the weight of the headset.

As was suggested, I guess I'll have to make generous use of Steams return policy to figure out what to get on sale right now, but it'll be a battle of buy, download, play, need to give my face a breather from the mask and repeat with another title :v: