Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
When drunk I will go on a YouTube binge of early manic street preachers videos and there is nothing you or anyone else can do to stop me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

It's cool to like whatever kind of music, apart from opera which objectively sucks.

minema
May 31, 2011
I spent World Cup 2010 in France with friends getting pissed and making friends with all the old men in the cafe in the village, they cheered England in our game and gave us free beer when we got knocked out and dug out their ancient English karaoke to cheer us up. :cheers:

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

knox_harrington posted:

It's cool to like whatever kind of music, apart from opera which objectively sucks.

I'm not normally interested in Opera but a youtube rabbit hole session this week led to me watching Luciano Pavarotti videos and anyone who can listen to Nessun Dorma without getting goosebumps is probably dead inside

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

knox_harrington posted:

What about space opera?

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I have the opposite problem. I’m not massively into music but I like being told about new things sometimes, so every time I mention I like a band someone always goes off about ‘oh have you heard of these’ ‘oh you must like these too’ and I always have to do that thing where you then spend a few minutes disappointing them that although you like this seemingly quite hip band, you don’t actually know any others or any of their old albums or b sides or really much about them at all other than ‘this song is quite catchy’.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Saw this on fizzog bok

Next stage:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I'm not normally interested in Opera but a youtube rabbit hole session this week led to me watching Luciano Pavarotti videos and anyone who can listen to Nessun Dorma without getting goosebumps is probably dead inside
For all I got mad at snobbery just now, my pet peeve is hearing a non-Pavarotti version of Nessun Dorma where they don't hold the final note. I know it's mechanically hard for most human beings with a normal larynx, but then they shouldn't attempt the song if they know they can't do it. :colbert:

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
What I liked about the England-Germany match yesterday was that there didn't seem to be any bullshit, no red cards, no major injuries (whether accidental or not), none of that shite. Just a nice fairly even matchup, until some excitingly last-minute-ish goals. Was a good game

I know nothing at all of football and am not English or British, therefore I'm allowed to have this opinion :colbert:

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

For all I got mad at snobbery just now, my pet peeve is hearing a non-Pavarotti version of Nessun Dorma where they don't hold the final note. I know it's mechanically hard for most human beings with a normal larynx, but then they shouldn't attempt the song if they know they can't do it. :colbert:

True but also Pavarotti has held notes longer than I've held jobs

I think this video will enrage you - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6R5-FXVHruQ

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
The day of the 2010 world cup final i went to see Converge and it was excellent.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

The thing about opera is all the decent moments are preceded and succeeded by 5 hours of imiserating tedium. Anyone awake enough to get goosebumps at that point are probably undead

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I was not a confident child, and the readiness with which every man and his dog would leap to tell you that your taste in music is poo poo meant that I never developed one until my late 20s. Except VGM. Seriously, have you heard the FFXIV soundtrack? It's off the loving chain.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

England still have a lot of room for improvement - for whatever reason Kane just isn't clicking with the rest of the team (I'm certain he's injured because even by his standards he's been pretty much immobile all tournament), the wingbacks just aren't working out either in defence or attack, and the back 3 occasionally trip over each other - but apart from the second half against Scotland and the first 15 minutes against Germany we've never looked *bad*.

Shaw was one of the best players on the pitch last night, and we're still yet to concede a goal.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

jiggerypokery posted:

The thing about opera is all the decent moments are preceded and succeeded by 5 hours of imiserating tedium. Anyone awake enough to get goosebumps at that point are probably undead

thats why you just watch the best bits on youtube

much like the england football teams games

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I used to go to the Opera in Cairo. (There's a big opera house there).
One time I had the experience of seeing the Chinese National Opera doing Turandot (the opera from which Nessun Dorma is taken), singing in Italian, with English 'sub-titles' on the screens either side of the stage, with a mostly Egyptian audience. I remember having the "am I a racist" moment for being very surprised that the performers were singing opera Western style - the way I would expect to hear it (I used to go now and then when I lived in London) - not like traditional Chinese opera.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

thats why you just watch the best bits on youtube

much like the england football teams games

Opera exists exclusively to keep arts funding out of the arts. Stop giving the bastards views!

(You are objectively right though, I'm just joking)

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

I liked the bit in La Boheme about landlords being bad

That is my only opera experience

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Best opera is the execution scene in Tosca, as performed in Hitman Blood Money, in which the target, who is playing a character who thinks he's being shot with blanks but they actually use real bullets, thinks he's being shot with blanks but you can swap in a gun with real bullets.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Bobstar posted:

Best opera is the execution scene in Tosca, as performed in Hitman Blood Money, in which the target, who is playing a character who thinks he's being shot with blanks but they actually use real bullets, thinks he's being shot with blanks but you can swap in a gun with real bullets.

this is very true

i think you can also drop a massive bell on his head but maybe i'm misremembering my hitman executions

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Combining today's thread themes of football and music:
(I don't know how they decided who reached the playoffs before the quarter finals - must have been running for a while before I saw it!)

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://twitter.com/TeamGeorgeG/status/1409970623640649731

that moon w/ may but put stamers head on it.

Dawn of the final day or whtever

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

(I don't know how they decided who reached the playoffs before the quarter finals - must have been running for a while before I saw it!)

Pink Floyd vs Motorhead is a tough one, as is the following quarter final against Iron Maiden. Other side of the table is lethal, Judas Priest got an unlucky draw but Led Zep will storm past Queen & Sabbath to ultimate victory.
:goonsay:

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jun 30, 2021

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

PawParole posted:

no amusing lines or bolts

1/10

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Apparently rock music ceased to exist after 1985.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

stev posted:

Apparently rock music ceased to exist after 1985.
I mean... it is a classic rock radio station.

Gun & Massive Wagons are relatively new too. & I have no idea when Within Temptation ended up on their playlist, but it happened (e: literally never heard them play Rammstein now I think about it, but I haven't listened to it much since I quit manual work)

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Bobstar posted:

Best opera is the execution scene in Tosca

Best opera is by Rossini, but The marriage of Figaro and Don Giovanni are fairly anti-aristocrat.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If Europe don't win then it's hardly the Euros of Rock, is it?

Borrovan posted:

I liked the bit in La Boheme about landlords being bad
:hai:

e:

Jel Shaker posted:

no amusing lines or bolts

1/10
If they were dedicated to trolling Starmer properly the hat would be on a window that lifts up with M'Labour underneath.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

PawParole posted:

I'm not signed in to twitter (better not these days for the sake of my blood pressure, but I digress). I followed that link and Twitter threw up a load of racist islamaphobic stuff (not replies to that tweet but presumably prompted by people who have replied or shared it) praising Orban.

Just as well Europe was more accepting of all those Hungarian refugees in 1956 isn't it!

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jun 30, 2021

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Bobstar posted:

This is true. There is no band/performer/type of music in existence which, when mentioned, won't cause someone to laugh at you and call you an idiot for liking it.

Counterpoint:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d17UkOTIwyg

Anyone who can't see this for the amazingness that it is can be safely liquidated as an obvious alien invader in human form.

(And I say this as someone not really keen on either Sparks or post-Jim Martin FNM)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I went in the mosh pit once and got a black eye. I skirted round it from then on. I was determined to stage dive before my 30th birthday - crap that was over 30 years ago now - but somehow I always ended up minding the guys' leather jackets while they did it. Never did stage dive and I doubt I will now!

As a certified Big Lad who likes to gently slam at the edge of the pit, I've often been asked to boost people on to the crowd and onstage, and have been only delighted to do as much for plenty of OAPs in my time (I know you're not quite OAP, but still it's cool). Find yourself a big'un

Aphex- posted:

The day of the 2010 world cup final i went to see Converge and it was excellent.

I saw them in Whelan's in Dublin on that tour, tiny sweatbox venue that was going off and a dude in a wheelchair was crowdsurfing so big respect.

The only cunts I hate are hardmen who jump onto the crowd feet first from the back so the first you know about them is getting a boot in the skull. I will drag those lads down into the crowd and show them a bad time

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Actually as we're on music, here's an *extremely* long shot but worth a go. Does anyone remember a track from the mid 90s that was sort of ambient-y (i.e. long synth pads in a minor key) but also sort of drum-and-bass-y (like it had that one drum break that was sort of like the Amen break but not quite that a lot of UK garage/drum and bass had), with a video that was just old 1950s American film of people doing 1950s American things like bowling and poo poo?

I *know* this is an extremely obscure one but it's a track that punctuated a couple of really odd moments in my life and it pops into my head every once in a while and I'd love to be able to nail it down.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Actually as we're on music, here's an *extremely* long shot but worth a go. Does anyone remember a track from the mid 90s that was sort of ambient-y (i.e. long synth pads in a minor key) but also sort of drum-and-bass-y (like it had that one drum break that was sort of like the Amen break but not quite that a lot of UK garage/drum and bass had), with a video that was just old 1950s American film of people doing 1950s American things like bowling and poo poo?

I *know* this is an extremely obscure one but it's a track that punctuated a couple of really odd moments in my life and it pops into my head every once in a while and I'd love to be able to nail it down.

Sounds like you just fell asleep in front of an Adam Curtis documentary and hallucinated you were in the 90s.

As a real answer it kinda sounds like Leftfield

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Apart from the description of the video that could be approximately three million 90s tracks lol

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Bobstar posted:

And on the subject of opera in Hitman, it took on Schubert's Ave Maria as a theme for the entire series purely off the back of Blood Money's ending using it so perfectly.

And Pavarotti sung it loving incredibly, as you'd expect.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Juche Couture posted:

I got some slightly fancy earbuds (that try to dampen all frequencies by the same amount so it sounds quieter without being muffled) and it’s improved my gig-going 100%.

Apropos, here’s a pic I took of Sunn O)))’s amplifier setup

I have a diy version of their signature EQD pedal, its a rat with an up octave on one side and a boost on the other and nothing pushes the front end of my amp like it, infinite drone that sort of phases in and out with its self.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Aphex- posted:

One of my great regrets is I've never gotten to experience Converge live. Or Cave In for that matter.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Of all the bands on that thing, good lord do Within Temptation standout like a sore thumb. In the sense that they haven't been on the go for 25 years (or much much more). Also how is there a group with Sabbath, Stones, Queen & Fleetwood Mac? Now granted, I hate the latter too myself, but there's another group with Budgie &...Massive Wagons? who I've never even heard of? Seems a bit uneven that, even as I loathe Fleetwood Mac (well, after Peter Green left, basic blues rock Mac were fun) I recognise that they are quite popular & even influential.

Anyway, Pink Floyd over Lizzy, Motorhead over Leppard, Europe over Whitesnake purely because Bryan Danielson used the Final Countdown as his entrance song in ROH & I have great fondness for that era of indie wrestling, I guess Iron Maiden over Thunder sort of by default, Sabbath over The Who, Rammstein over Deep Purple on the strength of the live show, Led Zep over Priest, Saxon over Queen because gently caress Queen, then Floyd over Motorhead, Iron Maiden over Europe? Sabbath over Ramstein & Zep over Saxon. Floud over Maiden, Sabbath over Zep, Sabbath lift the cup in trouncing of Zeppelin because Zeppelin never wrote Children of the Grave or War Pigs or that beautiful opening riff of Symptom of the Universe.

I've never crowdsurfed because I'm a coward, and also one year at Damnation Festival in Leeds, I think during an Anaal Nathrakh set, a friend stage dived & the sea just happened to part at that exact time, not out of malice, just misfortune, and he splattered on the floor. Which was endlessly funny because he wasn't hurt.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jun 30, 2021

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
A long and extremely flattering profile of Andy Burnham in the New Statesman:

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2021/06/andy-burnham-i-m-prepared-go-back-something-different

The New Statesman posted:

Although Burnham has his enemies within the parliamentary party, he has a network of allies, and could, if he wanted to, make a third push for the leadership. Will he? Would he want to return to Westminster, when he so relishes the freedoms of the mayoralty?

“I ain’t going back any time soon,” he says. “I get asked it relentlessly: would I ever go back? So the answer is, I would, but it’s not any time soon. I’m supporting Keir – I want him to win the next general election, and I will do whatever I can to help him achieve that.” I sense there’s a “but” coming. “If it were to happen, the answer to your question is: it’s not about personal ambition alone – although you can’t really say there’s not some of that, of course.”

Burnham warms to his theme, all the ways in which his experience and his vision – reformist on the economy, traditionalist on crime – have evolved. He is ready in a way he wasn’t in 2015 or 2010. “My journey has given me, I think now – I am really clear about the things that need to happen to make this country a much better, fairer place. Anyway, that’s the answer: I have got clarity, finally, about what I’m about, what kind of programme I would bring forward.” And if he tried for the leadership, we would see a new Andy Burnham, one forged from his time as Labour’s King of the North. “If there was a moment where that was right, then I’ve indicated that I would be prepared to go back. But I wouldn’t put the old suit back on – it would be to go back as something different.”

Is the Sensible Centre of UK journalism about to decisively ditch Starmer and switch to Burnham as their new, moderate saviour? It's more likely than you think!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Failed Imagineer posted:

As a certified Big Lad who likes to gently slam at the edge of the pit, I've often been asked to boost people on to the crowd and onstage, and have been only delighted to do as much for plenty of OAPs in my time( I know you're not quite OAP, but still it's cool). Find yourself a big'un

I saw them in Whelan's in Dublin on that tour, tiny sweatbox venue that was going off and a dude in a wheelchair was crowdsurfing so big respect.

The only cunts I hate are hardmen who jump onto the crowd feet first from the back so the first you know about them is getting a boot in the skull. I will drag those lads down into the crowd and show them a bad time

Thanks to this Tory Govt. I suppose I should be grateful for small mercies! (When I was 40, I would have been an OAP a year ago. Now I have to wait another 5+ years). :bahgawd:

It's not the getting on the stage that worries me so much as the launching myself off and the crowd parting, as if I were Moses at the Red Sea, as I leapt forth that worries me.

Was the wheelchair dude crowdsurfing while IN his wheelchair? And yeah, those guys who charge from the back and leap feet first are lethal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Thanks to this Tory Govt. I suppose I should be grateful for small mercies! (When I was 40, I would have been an OAP a year ago. Now I have to wait another 5+ years). :bahgawd:

It's not the getting on the stage that worries me so much as the launching myself off and the crowd parting, as if I were Moses at the Red Sea, as I leapt forth that worries me.

Was the wheelchair dude crowdsurfing while IN his wheelchair? And yeah, those guys who charge from the back and leap feet first are lethal.

Yeah dude was up there wheelchair and all.

The secret to the crowd not parting is only doing it when it's the main act or it's packed in enough that people have nowhere to escape lol. Lads who try it during the 9pm opener when there's 5 teenage girls up front deserve what they get