Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

There's a trilogy that was remade on PSP that released in America (out of order also lol) but I haven't heard anything particularly good about it. Legend of Heroes goes all the way back to 1989 where the first game was part of the Dragon Slayer series, the same series that Legacy of the Wizard and Sorcerian are part of, which also spun off Faxanadu and Tokyo Xanadu lol. It's an insane lineage of games

As somebody who played both Legacy of the Wizard and Faxandu way back in the day -- with absolutely no idea how I ended up picking those particular NES games from off the shelf at Toys R Us or wherever I got them -- my mind is a little blown that they were connected to something so intricate and sprawling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Saoshyant posted:

I started with Cold Steel before Sky, and the world and its politics made me fell in love with the series so I went back and played the Sky games. I'd say you can either play the first Cold Steel or the first Sky and see if the series is for you. Cold Steel has a more evolved battle system while Sky has better protagonists.

As mentioned by others already, it's a very long, slow burn. If you are into JRPGs in any form, I'd say this is the best current series going on right now. If you get bored of any game that goes past ten hours, or are disgusted by old graphics, or have no tolerance for anime whatsoever, then it is not the series for you. I imagine you wouldn't be asking if that was the case, though.

Thanks.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
I just learned how to record and make gifs, so here are some games I picked up in the sale:

Touhou Luna Nights

I always have that metroidvania itch, and this one scratched it nicely. You play as a knife-throwing anime girl and you fight other anime girls from the developer's body-pillow collection. I don't know what the plot is because the dialogue was awkward and full of errors, so I was quickly skipping cutscenes. The gameplay is really fun though! All of your attacks including your basic knife throw costs MP, which does regenerate but only very slowly. You can also stop time and set up attacks to go off later, and these attacks won't cost MP, but instead drain from how long you can keep time frozen (which replenishes when time is running). In addition, both MP and your time gauge will replenish quickly when you are next to an enemy or its projectiles during timestop, by a finite amount. There are finer points, but combat is essentially a constant balancing act between these two resources. Now I wouldn't describe Touhou Luna Nights as sadistically difficult, but mastering this balance was utterly required for boss fights, particularly the final one, or else I found myself with no time and no MP and feeling pretty sad as I'm are surrounded by fireballs. It's a lot of fun and I beat it in a cool 5 hours, which is short for a metroidvania sure, but my backlog is thankful. And also the music slaps.

Reventure

I'm digging this. It's a comedy side-scroller in which you are sent on a quest to save the princess, Zelda-style, but it's really about discovering all the 100 hidden endings that don't involve that. Like what if, after picking up the sword, Link stabbed the old man? Or hugged him? There is also a puzzle element since your character can only carry so much Zelda gear (bombs, a hookshot, stuff like that)and the more you have, the slower you move and shorter your jump becomes, so you need to figure out what you need in what order to get certain things to happen. The game cute and often pretty clever I thought, and at 2 bucks or so it's worth a look at. I'm currently dipping my toes in from time to time to unlock a few endings here and there, and the game is good for that kind of thing.

Sayonara Wild Hearts

I'm saving the best for last. This game is an experience. You fly/ride/dance through neon-soaked astral byways, collecting hearts and chasing down ultra-hip tarot ballet bikers to pumping synth-electro-pop. Few games have fully transported me like this one has. Play sessions would end with me taking off my headphones and thinking how drab real life looks. You can run through all the stages in about 30-40 minutes, and unless you are score-chasing, that's really only what's on offer. However, I fully expect to resubmerge myself in this regularly because I've never experienced anything quite like it. My only complaint is that when you hit an obstacle, the run and song end abruptly and you get sent back a few seconds, which is really jarring when you're feeling the groove. On the other hand, what makes this work is that the music is synced to the stage, so maybe there isn't an easy solution. I also sort of wish that the stages were a little longer sometimes as well, but only because I'm really digging a particular song. Regardless, this game rules and is phenomenal and an easy recommend.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Trickyblackjack posted:

Touhou Luna Nights

If you liked this one, also check out Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth. Same genre, same maker, no knowledge of Record of Lodoss War is required.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

McCoy Pauley posted:

As somebody who played both Legacy of the Wizard and Faxandu way back in the day -- with absolutely no idea how I ended up picking those particular NES games from off the shelf at Toys R Us or wherever I got them -- my mind is a little blown that they were connected to something so intricate and sprawling

Yeah - at this point the various spinoffs barely have anything to do with the originals but it's neat that they all come from the same place. Falcom ftw

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007
Are RTS games dead at this point? It doesn't seem like much has come out in recent years.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Harry Privates posted:

Are RTS games dead at this point? It doesn't seem like much has come out in recent years.

Age of Empires IV is coming out later this year and a bunch of people from Blizzard left to form a new company (Frost Giant) with the explicit purpose of making new RTSes, so not quite dead.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Harry Privates posted:

Total War. That's it.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Ok I'm about to do my last purchase of the steam sale. If anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them. Currently in my cart are:

halo master chief collection, judge dredd: dredd vs death, mega man collection 1 and 2, mega man x collection 1 and 2, mega man 11, mega man zero legacy collection, doom eternal, terminator: resistance, horizon zero dawn and I have no moth and I must scream.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Shard posted:

Ok I'm about to do my last purchase of the steam sale. If anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them. Currently in my cart are:

halo master chief collection, judge dredd: dredd vs death, mega man collection 1 and 2, mega man x collection 1 and 2, mega man 11, mega man zero legacy collection, doom eternal, terminator: resistance, horizon zero dawn and I have no moth and I must scream.

I too have no moth, and I must scream. :allears:

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Better than the sequel, I have a moth and I must seam

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Control is another game I wish liked more because the SCP-like things were cool and it was fun reading the lore bits. My beef with it was that it was essentially indoor Mirrors Edge in terms of visuals and it’s super bland. I went to a friends house later on and he was way further into the game and the visuals looked largely the same so I never got around to licking it up again.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I loved the mundane visuals. It really hammers home that abnormal and weird are normal and bureaucratic to the people who work here. It used space really well too and everything was clearly marked so it was extremely hard to get lost in that place. That said, learning to navigate from indicators in the world was kind of a necessity because the in-game map was pretty lousy.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I realize it's in the name but still, how is Squad for just pubbing?
I don't have much time or patience these days for organizing games.

Either that or I'm think about getting the most recent Modern Warfare game specifically for the Ground War mode.

I didn't play the BF games for Project Reality, I played them for their fast and loose gameplay that didn't really give a poo poo if you were in a squad or not and could actually let lonewolves accomplish stuff too.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Deakul posted:

I didn't play the BF games for Project Reality, I played them for their fast and loose gameplay that didn't really give a poo poo if you were in a squad or not and could actually let lonewolves accomplish stuff too.
Uh, Squad is a very literal successor to Project Reality so I don't think it's for you. Maybe just wait for the next Battlefield? I don't think there's much else out there that fits into that specific niche.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Squad required some organization beyond casual pubbing last I played. You’re sort of committed once you sit down and fire up a game. I’d say pick something else up if you want something immediately engaging and like having the ability to put it down after 10 minutes.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Trickyblackjack posted:

Sayonara Wild Hearts

I'm saving the best for last. This game is an experience. You fly/ride/dance through neon-soaked astral byways, collecting hearts and chasing down ultra-hip tarot ballet bikers to pumping synth-electro-pop. Few games have fully transported me like this one has. Play sessions would end with me taking off my headphones and thinking how drab real life looks. You can run through all the stages in about 30-40 minutes, and unless you are score-chasing, that's really only what's on offer. However, I fully expect to resubmerge myself in this regularly because I've never experienced anything quite like it. My only complaint is that when you hit an obstacle, the run and song end abruptly and you get sent back a few seconds, which is really jarring when you're feeling the groove. On the other hand, what makes this work is that the music is synced to the stage, so maybe there isn't an easy solution. I also sort of wish that the stages were a little longer sometimes as well, but only because I'm really digging a particular song. Regardless, this game rules and is phenomenal and an easy recommend.

I cannot recommend this game enough as an experience! It's so well crafted, and the music is excellent. The song Dead of Night, in conjunction with the game, has my favourite drop ever

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Shard posted:

if I was you i'd drop the mega man rom pack and get Hades instead

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Mordja posted:

Uh, Squad is a very literal successor to Project Reality so I don't think it's for you. Maybe just wait for the next Battlefield? I don't think there's much else out there that fits into that specific niche.

buglord posted:

Squad required some organization beyond casual pubbing last I played. You’re sort of committed once you sit down and fire up a game. I’d say pick something else up if you want something immediately engaging and like having the ability to put it down after 10 minutes.

That's pretty much what I figured, thanks dudes.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

JollyBoyJohn posted:

this is almost exactly how i felt about Overwatch

you can play against the computer so not a valid reason, sorry

Overwatch's fun was directly inverse to it's competitiveness. The first month of the game was as fun as it could ever possibly be. The game was basically permanently killed the moment they got rid of hero-dupes, if not, just when they made the competitive mode at all. Every single patch since then was anti-fun, some lovely changes that made the game worse for everyone except for a tiny niche of pro-gamers who actually complained the most regardless of changes anyway. I popped in back in for a few seasons, to check out new heros and events, and they seriously just made the game more boring and more of a pain in the rear end to play every time I opened it.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

My rarest achievement is one you can't even get anymore because the game no longer exists. Pity, because I thought it had promise. (The next three are also Civilization achievements.)

Wow, that makes those double-rare cheevos I think. Too bad there's no pogs game we can play against eachother with our achievements and steam cards. Even if the game design was as lazy and lovely as pogs game.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Still waiting for someone to offer me a million dollars for these Nosgoth cards in my inventory

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Man, Nosgoth was really cool for like a week

Edit: VV :hfive:

explosivo fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jun 30, 2021

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Baller Time posted:

Still waiting for someone to offer me a million dollars for these Nosgoth cards in my inventory

Nosgoth was unironically fun as gently caress and I'm still sad that it died, reminded me a little of the Vampire Slayer mod for HL1 way back in the day.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Triarii posted:

I swear they secretly put out two different versions of Control, one where enemies are bullet sponges and combat is a slog, and another where everything dies in one hit and you're a whirlwind of destruction hungering for more things to kill.

yeah, it's called turning on the godmode options to have fun instead of misery.

exquisite tea posted:

Something that I don't think is spoken often enough about Control is how funny it is. I think people tend to oversell the spooky SCP stuff, and while that's definitely there to some extent, Control is one of the funniest games I've ever played. How can you look at a menacing close-up of a slide projector from horror movie camera angles and not crack up laughing.

I woiuld've loved in Control was just a playable workplace-comedy about the Bureau. They really nailed the straight-face-in-the-face-of-absurdity humor with their office and graphic design. I'm also so glad we're finally in the era where I can actually read most, if not all, of the text on the documents and sticky notes in the world.

poo poo like this is why Dr. Casper is my favourite mad scientist. His wholesome and genuine curiosity and commitment and confidence elevate him above your average videogame madsci boss. I still haven't finished Control, I just basically got out of the amazing ashtray maze segment, which felt like it was probably the finale but also I didn't finish all the quests and didn't realize that was the "final mission" so they dumped me back out to keep working. I'm assuming that would've been the end if I had done all of the things and I woulda got the "good" ending? In any case, in my head Casper is still alive somewhere, don't want him to be dead, I'll get you out dude, just like I did for no one. :/

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The Final Fantasy remasters Steam pages are up

1-3 have prices and launch at the end of the month

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1173770/FINAL_FANTASY/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1173780/FINAL_FANTASY_II/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1173790/FINAL_FANTASY_III/

4-6 are launching later

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1173800/FINAL_FANTASY_IV/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1173810/FINAL_FANTASY_V/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1173820/FINAL_FANTASY_VI/

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Deakul posted:

Nosgoth was unironically fun as gently caress and I'm still sad that it died, reminded me a little of the Vampire Slayer mod for HL1 way back in the day.

Yeah, it was something really quite unique. I loved flapping around as one of the winged vamps, swooping down on unsuspecting hunters and dunking them from great height. Worked maybe once out of every five attempts, but it was so drat satisfying.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Does anyone know what the difference between Gold Edition of Greedfall and just buying the cheap version + maybe DLC later is?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I think that's the first official confirmation we have that the remasters are based on the original releases. I'm curious to see if they've made any quality of life updates, or if it's just polish.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Nosgoth was legit fun and I'm sad it's gone. The same can be said for most of the Legacy of Kain series, to be honest. Soul Reaver was the game that really kickstarted my fondness for third-person action-adventure games back in 1990-something.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

https://twitter.com/AlmightyBoob/status/1404517082046164992?s=20

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
how can they not just get this one thing right jfc

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

ultrafilter posted:

I think that's the first official confirmation we have that the remasters are based on the original releases. I'm curious to see if they've made any quality of life updates, or if it's just polish.

The Steam pages say they have stuff like auto-battle added at the very least

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

MMF Freeway posted:

https://twitter.com/headfallsoff/status/1410270104022130692

:whitewater:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

I don't even play/care about FF but even I can see those are worse. Why do they do it, is it just some kinda make-work thing or what?

E: Is there a modding scene that just slots the old sprites back in?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

MMF Freeway posted:

it's mindboggling on two levels, one that there was apparently actually genuinely enough hate on the internet for the blobby mobile graphic ports to get square enix to *redo them again*, and two that they just completely hosed it a second time despite that

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Mordja posted:

I don't even play/care about FF but even I can see those are worse. Why do they do it, is it just some kinda make-work thing or what?

It's incomprehensible. They already have superior pixel versions (e.g. the PS1, GBA or even WonderSwan ports) if they don't want to stick with the originals, made by real pixel artists who knew their poo poo. Not whatever dime store knockoff crap this is. This is a completely unnecessary and completely unforced error.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jun 30, 2021

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

maybe they lost the original files or something. like they're saved on a floppy disk at the sqex building but everyone's wfh and nobody could get into the office

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

They're probably trying to get close to what the original sprites would've looked like on a CRT.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

ultrafilter posted:

They're probably trying to get close to what the original sprites would've looked like on a CRT.

If so they failed at that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Also I feel like they're trying to meld the incredibly lovely current mobile graphics with the original sprites because they're really tied to that lovely style for some reason now.