Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Except VGM. Seriously, have you heard the FFXIV soundtrack? It's off the loving chain.
I am of the opinion that the Music of the Spheres from Destiny is the best thing about that franchise, and the way O'Donnell was treated by Bungie absolutely sums up how the people in charge of it have completely wasted the astonishing pool of artistic talent they started with.

I could bang on all day about the mixolydian scale and the Oracles, and the interactivity cues built into the various pieces, but the best example is the Soul of Crota, a kind of 'best of' remix of the music from one of the raids.

In the original game they added this weird German techno feel to the hive soundtracks (to make them more distinctive I guess), and then the swordbearer's theme kind of comes out of nowhere at around 1:30 in the boss fight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSD49SHv5fw

It's a great piece of music because the sword is the only thing that can take his health down. Everyone helps cap a big enemy who is carrying a sword, the person in the pit grabs it, and then everyone up top has to take out Crota's shield so the swordbearer can damage him before his shield comes back up or the sword disappears. But it's not really blended in, it just sort of fades in from nowhere.

The following version which emerged in a later expansion shows a much clearer progression through multiple themes* towards the swordbearer's theme at 2:57, and flips a bunch of minor and major keys so the sword moment is just this huge surge of hope and light in the middle of this looming darkness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51ziqtZYPbw

The level in question used it in an escape sequence where you're being chased by an unkillable enemy and multiple thralls, and used the swordbearer's theme to indicate you were near the exit. But I still think it would have been much cooler if that version had been properly integrated into the Crota fight.

* Themes that pop up through the Music of the Spheres, so they're likely not a Salvatori invention.

E: 117 is the amount of times I will try and fail to post this video of my dog:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvqHZOezRuo

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jun 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Pistol_Pete posted:

A long and extremely flattering profile of Andy Burnham in the New Statesman:

My brain was still in comedian-chat mode, and I read/pictured this as a long an extremely flattering profile of Andy Parsons...

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Pistol_Pete posted:

A long and extremely flattering profile of Andy Burnham in the New Statesman

It's going to be sweet being individually disappointed by every MP in the Labour party, one at a time

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Some dude with a greasy ponytail just pushed this through my door.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I was not a confident child, and the readiness with which every man and his dog would leap to tell you that your taste in music is poo poo meant that I never developed one until my late 20s. Except VGM. Seriously, have you heard the FFXIV soundtrack? It's off the loving chain.

I just want to point out that in case you missed it, ever since I was a kid the first thing I do with games is turn the sound off so I can play my own tunes unless the game has voice acting & poo poo. So I listen to the music in GTA5 (& man, the Tangerine Dream/The Alchemist soundtrack in that game is sublime) but not in Crusader Kings because I could be playing Bathory instead.

Weirdly, despite having similar low confidence I never had problems yelling about my taste in music from the hills. Used to love telling my dad The Beatles were over-rated, which is simultaneously true because of course they are & doesn't stop me from quite liking a lot of their stuff. And then I found out later he actually had always really preferred the Kinks to The Beatles & my teenage ragging was wasted.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Actually as we're on music, here's an *extremely* long shot but worth a go. Does anyone remember a track from the mid 90s that was sort of ambient-y (i.e. long synth pads in a minor key) but also sort of drum-and-bass-y (like it had that one drum break that was sort of like the Amen break but not quite that a lot of UK garage/drum and bass had), with a video that was just old 1950s American film of people doing 1950s American things like bowling and poo poo?

I *know* this is an extremely obscure one but it's a track that punctuated a couple of really odd moments in my life and it pops into my head every once in a while and I'd love to be able to nail it down.

I do know that lots of videos from Boards of Canada could possibly fit this description, at least, certainly on YouTube people have made vids of their music going along with 50s type stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tznKkts0nG0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQEmaj9C6ko&t=27s

Also Boards of Canada are excellent and you should listen to them. These aren't necessarily my favourite tracks, just ones with 50s youtube vids.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Failed Imagineer posted:

Sounds like you just fell asleep in front of an Adam Curtis documentary and hallucinated you were in the 90s.

As a real answer it kinda sounds like Leftfield

It's funny you should say that because the first time I saw it I was so stoned and drunk I legitimately thought I'd hallucinated it until I saw it again with witnesses and considerably more use of my limbs (both times on The Box, a little nostalgia hit for you 90s kids out there), but both times were on extremely weird nights for me personally.

Then it was blasting out of a car stereo on the day I quit a job I absolutely loving hated, walking out of there into the sunlight of an early summer Friday with that tune felt amazing.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
What was the name of that show that used to be on Channel 4 at like 3am on a Saturday and would be a bunch of ambient stuff like Aphex Twin/BoC etc set to slowed down footage of explosions and timelapsed clouds?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

WhatEvil posted:

I do know that lots of videos from Boards of Canada could possibly fit this description, at least, certainly on YouTube people have made vids of their music going along with 50s type stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tznKkts0nG0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQEmaj9C6ko&t=27s

Also Boards of Canada are excellent and you should listen to them. These aren't necessarily my favourite tracks, just ones with 50s youtube vids.

Musically the second one is actually pretty close (but the drum line is completely wrong) and I hate that I know the video is called "One Got Fat", it's a bicycle safety film from the 60s that TBH I'm pleased I never saw in my performance-enhanced days because I'm certain it would have completely obliterated my brain.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I full body cringed at this so you have to too

https://twitter.com/leaantigny/status/1410121944800718854?s=20

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
It doesn't really fit the description but somehow I wonder if the 90s video could be Orbital - Halcyon

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Looping back into late Victorian weirdo Orthodox Marxist descriptions of pregnancy as creating additional labor value now.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Mega Comrade posted:

I noticed yesterday a bunch of anti-lockdown posters have gone up in my area, all spouting the "it's June 21st why are we still in lockdown?" and "June 21st Freedom Day Party" nonsense. Clearly someone's trying to fund this poo poo

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's funny you should say that because the first time I saw it I was so stoned and drunk I legitimately thought I'd hallucinated it until I saw it again with witnesses and considerably more use of my limbs (both times on The Box, a little nostalgia hit for you 90s kids out there), but both times were on extremely weird nights for me personally.

Then it was blasting out of a car stereo on the day I quit a job I absolutely loving hated, walking out of there into the sunlight of an early summer Friday with that tune felt amazing.

Man, I watched so much of The Box. I remember once I saw this video with this whole incredible anime on it and I had no idea what it was and how I could ever see it again, and it was just lost in the ether. Years later I found out that it was the Studio Ghibli animated On Your Mark for the Japanese duo Chage and Aska (annoyingly not that I guess some late-nineties weeb somehow found on the system and requested. The idea of seeing this incredible thing once and then probably never again is really nostalgic for me, it's basically gone now.

Comrade Fakename fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jun 30, 2021

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

gently caress me lads it was only a football game, no need for this.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Combining today's thread themes of football and music:
(I don't know how they decided who reached the playoffs before the quarter finals - must have been running for a while before I saw it!)

Calling it now, Thunder will magically win and Danny Bowes will be incredibly surprised by this on his segment and proceed to play the entire back catalogue of Thunder for the rest of the week.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Have Rammstein win it for the comedy value.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Crap tournament but if Thin Lizzy eke out the win over Maiden I'm backing them to win the whole thing

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Combining today's thread themes of football and music:
(I don't know how they decided who reached the playoffs before the quarter finals - must have been running for a while before I saw it!)

Bit unfair to include Black Sabbath in something like this, at that point all the other bands are only competing for second place.

forkboy84 posted:

Sunn O))) live is an experience that everyone should get to feel at least once. Just getting massaged & occasionally battered by soundwaves is a hell of an experience.
I think I've seen them three times over the years and it's less a musical performance than a religious event. It was pretty cringeworthy when they used to describe their shows as "live rituals" on the tour posters, but also not really inaccurate. Just take good ear plugs and stay hydrated - last time I saw them several people near the front fainted during the performance, including one of the security guards.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's funny you should say that because the first time I saw it I was so stoned and drunk I legitimately thought I'd hallucinated it

I remember sitting at home one night watching Vanishing Point (I missed the first few minutes, so I wasn't 100% sure what was going on) and my older sister came back from a night out extremely drunk and flung herself onto a chair to watch TV, right at the point where a naked woman is riding around on a motorbike on-screen. She struggled to focus on the film for a little while, turned to me and asked "Is there really a naked woman on a motorbike?", to which I simply nodded. She looked at the screen a few more seconds and then - presumably not sure what was going on - decided to go to bed.

I thought about asking her what she remembered the next morning, but she wasn't really in the right mood.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Pistol_Pete posted:

A long and extremely flattering profile of Andy Burnham in the New Statesman:

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2021/06/andy-burnham-i-m-prepared-go-back-something-different

Is the Sensible Centre of UK journalism about to decisively ditch Starmer and switch to Burnham as their new, moderate saviour? It's more likely than you think!

I feel like Burnham could actually pull a Biden, if he played it extremely well. He's managed to avoid alienating either the left or the centre, and his "reformist on the economy, traditionalist on crime" nonsense would probably go down decently with the public.

I think this, then I remember that Biden actually gave important jobs to Bernie and others on the left, and found compromises to put in his agenda. If any leader actually tried that the majority of the PLP and the entire media would lose their loving minds and demand their head.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Mogwai have been insanely loud anytime I've seen them, them and Devin Townsend and Swans have been the most overwhelming audio experiences. Devin was hands down the best mix and tone I've ever heard at a gig

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Mega Comrade posted:

Pricks

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Devin Townsend gives me headaches

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Mega Comrade posted:

I think lipid nanoparticles would sound friendlier if we called them "tiny fat balls" instead. And I say that as someone who is myself gene-based.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

This is the end result of renaming "Personnel Dept" to "Human Resources".

(Which I knew happened in my lifetime and a bit of a google reveals the 1980s are when it really changed which matches my memory.)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

big scary monsters posted:

I think lipid nanoparticles would sound friendlier if we called them "tiny fat balls" instead. And I say that as someone who is myself gene-based.

Dawkins: "What is a man? A miserable little pile of genes!"

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

This is the end result of renaming "Personnel Dept" to "Human Resources".

(Which I knew happened in my lifetime and a bit of a google reveals the 1980s are when it really changed which matches my memory.)

Its changing from HR to P&O now in a lot of companies.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Failed Imagineer posted:

Dawkins: "What is a man? A miserable little pile of genes!"

Its changing from HR to P&O now in a lot of companies.

Well that's a bit better, acknowledging that employees are people not a quantity of pencils or pads of paper or paper towels in the stationery cupboard.

Sunn O))) chat:

Why have I never heard of this band before?

Just tried out one of their tracks and found this comment underneath:

"This music's kinda cool but I can't get into it because I keep thinking about that one story about the guy who thought he heard Sunn O))) at a music festival but it turned out to be a generator."

which I thought was funny.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Devin Townsend gives me headaches

Philistine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0apsOhWV2M

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Well that's a bit better, acknowledging that employees are people not a quantity of pencils or pads of paper or paper towels in the stationery cupboard.

Sunn O))) chat:

Why have I never heard of this band before?

Just tried out one of their tracks and found this comment underneath:

"This music's kinda cool but I can't get into it because I keep thinking about that one story about the guy who thought he heard Sunn O))) at a music festival but it turned out to be a generator."

which I thought was funny.
Don't try listening to them at home (unless you have a stack of amps like pictured) - it's not something you can "listen to", you've got to feel it. Physically.

Must see live act though.

e: guy I know is in a decent drone band that also makes records you can listen to, check out Warrior Pope on bandcamp if you want some poorly produced noise

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

He had a song I vaguely remember liking, I can't remember what its called or even any lyrics form it so sorry not helpful but really not my type of music

Mostly though I just don't like the guy because the host of a house party i went too insisted on getting piss drunk and playing Ziltoid the Omniscient at obnoxious volumes while making out it was some kind of best album of all time masterpiece. That and Strapping Young Lad have that standard obnoxiously loud for the sake of it sound that I just can't enjoy

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Birthing a CEO chat:

I found the original article from which that quote was taken.

It reads somewhat differently in the context of the whole article which is about how your boss and co-workers react to pregnancy announcements and the time off required, and how this affects women's approaches to pregnancy announcements at work and even applying for jobs in the first place.

https://www.workingmother.com/how-to-tell-boss-you-are-pregnant#page-4

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Saw Devin Townsend at the special gig in Plovdiv (Bulgaria) a few years ago, it was excellent of course. But I’ve also seen him in a venue in Birmingham where he couldn’t overcome the innately poo poo sound there.

Re stage-diving/crowd surfing, I almost got up the courage to try during Anaal Nathrakh since they spent the whole set encouraging people to come up. Next time!

I did try out a moshpit for the first time last year. Frank Carter and the Rattlesnakes specially created time for women to have a go, without any men to knock us over etc. It was fun.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

EvilHawk posted:

I noticed yesterday a bunch of anti-lockdown posters have gone up in my area, all spouting the "it's June 21st why are we still in lockdown?" and "June 21st Freedom Day Party" nonsense. Clearly someone's trying to fund this poo poo

It's most likely an organisation called White Rose. Lots of far-right links. One of them mixing ponds where you get out and out blood and soil fash mixing with kooky conspiracy type people who would otherwise be fairly lefty, very dangerous and seemingly loving everywhere. Made all the more sickening because they've co-opted the name of the organisation teenage (and executed as a teenager) anti-Nazi resistance fighter Sophie Scholl was part of. Total bastards. If you see their stickers up then do your civic duty and rip them down. Word of warning: it's not something I've ever seen documented with WR stickers, or any particularly recently, but the far-right did have a habit of sticking razor blades under them to gently caress up the fingers of anyone who might want to get rid of them, so do be careful. A key usually does the trick.

Also if Led Zep don't win that there's no justice.

On classical music, me and my best mate once listened to The Planets while on LSD and it was loving great, highly recommend classical music and psychedelics as a combo.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Jakabite posted:

On classical music, me and my best mate once listened to The Planets while on LSD and it was loving great, highly recommend classical music and psychedelics as a combo.

Isle of the Dead sure does hit different

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Jakabite posted:

It's most likely an organisation called White Rose. Lots of far-right links. One of them mixing ponds where you get out and out blood and soil fash mixing with kooky conspiracy type people who would otherwise be fairly lefty, very dangerous and seemingly loving everywhere. Made all the more sickening because they've co-opted the name of the organisation teenage (and executed as a teenager) anti-Nazi resistance fighter Sophie Scholl was part of. Total bastards. If you see their stickers up then do your civic duty and rip them down. Word of warning: it's not something I've ever seen documented with WR stickers, or any particularly recently, but the far-right did have a habit of sticking razor blades under them to gently caress up the fingers of anyone who might want to get rid of them, so do be careful. A key usually does the trick.

Also if Led Zep don't win that there's no justice.

Ah yeah I did see a White Rose sticker on a bus stop, fortunately it's already been torn down

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Just stick better stickers over them if you're worried about razor blades.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

My music tastes range from Midnight Oil ('Beds Are Burning' is NOT their only loving song ffs!!!) to Dave Brubeck.

But country & western music should be wiped from the racial memory of humanity or restricted to the USA (the Irish version is particularly horrid, i was subjected to a whole night of Hugo Duncan when i was working in the hotel kitchen decades ago). :commissar:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

Don't really think I want to be the sad old guy dancing at a club, but I take your meaning.

But it's also not wanting to like something that everyone likes and get derided either for being pedestrian if you do like it, or a snob if you don't.

I would say the problem there is with the other people, not you liking stuff. Like what you like, I've been driving around blasting HIM out my car for the last few weeks and it's great.

Jakabite posted:

I wondered about them, seen a couple of stickers basically hand writen with a website on it. I assumed it was some conspiracy nut thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Just Another Lurker posted:

My music tastes range from Midnight Oil ('Beds Are Burning' is NOT their only loving song ffs!!!) to Dave Brubeck.

But country & western music should be wiped from the racial memory of humanity or restricted to the USA (the Irish version is particularly horrid, i was subjected to a whole night of Hugo Duncan when i was working in the hotel kitchen decades ago). :commissar:

(not particularly defending country and western which has some extremely regrettable stuff going on, but I'll excuse every MURICA -loving rhinestone-flecked, cousin fucker who ever played the Opry for Johnny Cash, let alone a bunch of other acts that come from that tradition.