Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
I like The Hunters Guild: Red Hood's attitude. Had no expectations for it (didn't read the one-shot) and it was a pleasant surprise. Pretty nice art, interesting themes. It has potential.

i tell c is done, as expected. The previous arc with the art thief was pretty fun, but otherwise the series was a bit of a mess. The most interesting thing about the ending is seeing how it wrapped things up in comparison to other series that get the axe early: in this case, chalk one up in the "our adventures continue" column as it didn't offer any resolution to the ongoing plot. That might be the road Nine Dragons' Ball Parade takes too; we'll find out soon.

What else...
The Elusive Samurai has really come into its own lately.
Mashle remain uninteresting whenever Mash isn't on screen.
Witch Watch funny.
I'm getting the feeling Blue Box isn't going to be spending much time at all on the sports matches. Which doesn't bother me much, it's the romantic dramedy elements that are compelling.
Few series are quite as reliable as Sakamoto Days for delivering badass full-page spreads every issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I like the monster design in Red Hood.

I also like Elusive Samurai's innocent smiles.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

elusive samurai had great crossover potential with the chainsaw man teaser

https://twitter.com/zzzankizero/status/1409105583194591235?s=19

everybody just having a good time splashing around :)

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Mikl posted:

I wish to state this on the record:

I'm still bitter about Double Arts.

Carry on.

big same

hunter series seems neat

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the monster design in red hood was cool, def gonna stick with it for at least a while longer

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
hunters guild: Careful it could be ruff. That pun alone makes it worth reading at least another chapter. Art was awesome and the huntress swapping between kid and adult form was actually pretty funny.

9Dragon balls: Hurray, time for the comeback! This series might get a good ending. I know it wasn't anything special, but I like it.

Elusive Samurai: Just echoing what the others are saying. This poo poo is good now.

Candy Flurry: Can...can we keep the popcorn guy. I love him far too much. Everyone is an idiot there and they just made their own King.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Darth TNT posted:

Candy Flurry: Can...can we keep the popcorn guy. I love him far too much. Everyone is an idiot there and they just made their own King.

Popcorn guy threatening to denotate the corn kernels he had strapped to his waist was some fuckin' funny poo poo.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Darth TNT posted:

Elusive Samurai: Just echoing what the others are saying. This poo poo is good now.

Going by actual History. Tokiyuki will retake Kamakura when he is 12 or 13 (Can't remember which.) Then will lose it to the villain the same year. (Lots of stuff will happen in fact.)

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

Going by actual History. Tokiyuki will retake Kamakura when he is 12 or 13 (Can't remember which.) Then will lose it to the villain the same year. (Lots of stuff will happen in fact.)

The backdrop is interesting enough, but I'm also enamoured with how he keeps weaving reality and fantasy in and out of the story. Like how this guy gets delusions from blood loss. The art really sells what's happening.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
candy flurry is surprisingly good. the setting, the conflict, the fight scenes, none of those are anything special. they are all adequate, but sort of bland. but then the manga keeps popping out fun, charming characters left and right.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Red Hood's first chapter might be good, but it will absolutely be cancelled because it has a "manga that will be cancelled" title. I will trust my gut on this.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

Ytlaya posted:

Red Hood's first chapter might be good, but it will absolutely be cancelled because it has a "manga that will be cancelled" title. I will trust my gut on this.

Counterpoint.
The internet is getting really horny over the female character. That should give it some staying power.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mulderman posted:

Counterpoint.
The internet is getting really horny over the female character. That should give it some staying power.

Ziga is proof enough that widespread fanart isn't enough to save a series by itself.

I think it's still a little early to predict if Red Hood has what it takes to survive. Still, seems to have a clearer path forward than most of the recent flops.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

chiasaur11 posted:

Ziga is proof enough that widespread fanart isn't enough to save a series by itself.

I think it's still a little early to predict if Red Hood has what it takes to survive. Still, seems to have a clearer path forward than most of the recent flops.

I don't think the Internet got horny over Ziga though.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The only thing that gives me pause about Red Hood is that the MC is not terribly distinct in personality/design and wasn't sold hard enough for a first chapter. The thing I noticed that just kills a new series is a bad or non-distinct MC- you can have the opposite effect where you try way too hard and overshoot (see: Build King, I Tell C), or push a single characteristic as a point of distinction in an annoying/shallow way (see: Phantom Seer), but if I can't tell you anything about your MC in a one-shot it's probably not good.

This reminds me a bit of a Weekly Jump version of Kiba no Tabishounin, except it lacks any of the strong characterization and edge. The loss of edge is because it's weekly jump- I read the original Red Hood one-shot and it's almost -exactly- the same (which is kind of unusual) as the serialization's first chapter, except the One-Shot has a fair amount more gore.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Ziga died so that Kaiju 8 could live.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Mikl posted:

I wish to state this on the record:

I'm still bitter about Double Arts.

Carry on.

poo poo I'm still mad about Mx0.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Also lol that the main character's name was mistranslated as Bellou on one of the pages.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I'm finally catching up to Nagataro, and I gotta say, I'm having a complete turn around about President and her little...sister? cousin? I thought they would end up being another just lame love rivals, but instead, they managed to find a spine lying around and pound it into Senpai somehow, so that he finally asks Nagataro on a date. :3:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that choujin x thing from the tokyo ghoul guy updated and god what a mess of a chapter that was

also, tomaytoes?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

that choujin x thing from the tokyo ghoul guy updated and god what a mess of a chapter that was

also, tomaytoes?

Yeah, when you end a chapter with a cliffhanger, it's traditionally good form to open by following up on the cliffhanger.

Choujin X went with the less conventional route of going on a completely different plot line, only to casually resolve the last chapter's setup in the final page.

It's a bold strategy, Cotton.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jun 30, 2021

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I have no idea what's happening in Chojin X, but I'm down to clown.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Okay good. I thought I was getting old. Because Chojin x was an incomprehensible mess to me.

But I did like the Tomaytoes actually. She’s a farmer.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1410133147103211520?s=19

Y'all called it

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Is it my imagination or are more series dying out quicker?

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I think that it's just more noticeable since everything is on official apps now instead of at scanlator whim

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I think the churn is pretty consistent, it's just more noticeable now that we see everything in every issue of WSJ for free.

There's always been an incentive to cut the worst-performing series regularly since the next new one could be a mega hit.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

ConanThe3rd posted:

Is it my imagination or are more series dying out quicker?

It tends to come in waves from what I've noticed. A few series end / get canceled around the same time, which means a bunch all start around the same time to fill those gaps. Not all of those new series wind up being good, so they tend to get canceled at around the same time. I Tell C had 21 Chapters, and Nine Dragons currently has 19 (final will be 20) - so they started within two weeks of each other. Elusive Samurai and Witch Watch were around the same time (currently at 22 and 20 chaps, respectively) - both part of the same "batch" of new series. We're just now starting up another new batch with Red Hood and whatever the other new one starting this week is - if neither catch on, I suspect in a few months we'll be going through the same thing again.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

So next chapter is the last? That’s going to be one hell of a rush chapter.
I’m not surprised but a little disappointed. I liked it even if It wasn’t particularly special or anything.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The churn where series die at ~20 chapters if they bomb has been the norm for a while, minus previously successful authors.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
imagine being the only sports manga in jump and blowing it

i read bone collector and it was great, too good for this world

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I've belatedly started reading Witch Watch and this is pretty funny. These spells are spectacularly dumb.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Cloks posted:

IMO Baseball and Soccer are sports where you basically have to destroy it to succeed in Weekly Jump because there are multiple very good serializations both past and current.

Like if you're gonna do High School Baseball in a big magazine, you gotta be able to beat Ace of Diamond- which is a tall order. Nevermind Rookies, Mr. Fullswing, etc.

If you're doing soccer, you gotta be able to compete with stuff like Blue Lock and somehow escape the shadow of Captain Tsubasa.

Kuroko's Basketball kind of escaped being lumped in with Slam Dunk (yes, the joke is "because it's not as good") by going more for the fantastic elements rather than the personal angle. I feel like you gotta be pretty different to not be "ah, this is trying to be Captain Tsubasa/Rookies/etc".

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Fabricated posted:

IMO Baseball and Soccer are sports where you basically have to destroy it to succeed in Weekly Jump because there are multiple very good serializations both past and current.

So the answer here is Jump needs someone to create an Ice Hockey manga.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

The Black Stones posted:

The Hitman Reborn author made a hockey oneshot some years after the reborn manga ended.

I liked it but it didn't get picked up.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

The Black Stones posted:

I'd love to see an Ice Hockey series in jump tbh. Or MMA.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Cloks posted:

High School Family's volleyball plotline beg to differ.

(It was pretty funny the week Roboco did a baseball story and did it better than Nine Dragons in fewer pages, even hitting some of the exact same beats.)

Also, the love for Bone Collector has convinced me that there is nothing Jump can cancel that won't be praised as a lost classic a few months down the line.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

chiasaur11 posted:

High School Family's volleyball plotline beg to differ.

(It was pretty funny the week Roboco did a baseball story and did it better than Nine Dragons in fewer pages, even hitting some of the exact same beats.)

Also, the love for Bone Collector has convinced me that there is nothing Jump can cancel that won't be praised as a lost classic a few months down the line.

I have yet to see people talking about Guardian of the Witch positively, but lmao I still see people talking about how Time Paradox Ghostwriter got canceled too early.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

CodfishCartographer posted:

I have yet to see people talking about Guardian of the Witch positively, but lmao I still see people talking about how Time Paradox Ghostwriter got canceled too early.
It's funny because the Japanese reaction was really negative because of the plagiarism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I want a Blaseball anime.