Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Party
Jan 3, 2004

Doctor Party Woohoo!
You can make instances of old zones if you have three characters willing to be in group at time of accessing it. If you had say a level 85 character or something you could run around rampaging old content for fun. But you'd need two boxes or two randos to join your group temporarily.

Also on live servers if you wanted to relevel through old content you can use mercenaries. I did this once for like a month. It was pretty fun. You could get to 75-85 with a mercenary. Mercenaries are just npcs you hire to group with you and generally way over powered. You can have one mercenary per character. So if you three boxed you could have a full group of six with three mercenaries. Also those old zones will be dead. No one is going to be competing for camps with you in guk or velks etc. But also there will be no groups. So you'll need a mercenary or be able to solo.

Playing on a tlp is fun and there are more traditional tlps like mangler available. Only issue theyve been out a while and are now well past the sort of eq glory day content of velious and luclin and planes of power. So even on mangler places like velks or chardok etc are just dead. The new tlps have two unusual rules. One is the firiona vie style no no trades. So most regular stuff that is no trade is tradeable there. Also there is randomized loot drops. So same level rare mobs can all drop the ame loot. So you could get an fbss from a rare in sol b or something. Also the rare loot drops more frequently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka
Does anyone have a resource for current spells? I should have gotten my first pet haste for my necro at level 11, but I can't find it anywhere. According to the old sites I use it was sold in POK :)

Curious if there's a way to check on those things that may have been added in later expansions.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Floob posted:

Does anyone have a resource for current spells? I should have gotten my first pet haste for my necro at level 11, but I can't find it anywhere. According to the old sites I use it was sold in POK :)

Curious if there's a way to check on those things that may have been added in later expansions.

https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/spelllist.html

allakhazam has always been my go to EQ database, its (mostly) pretty accurate with info altho it doesn't always have the exact info you want. anyway the spell list can list spells from all expansion or by one particular expansion, no option for X expansion + older which would be useful for TLPs

Arae
Jul 27, 2003

Floob posted:

Does anyone have a resource for current spells?

Eqitems.com is reliable for spell expansion and vendor info.

EQResource.com is useful for more details about what spells do.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

Indecisive posted:

https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/spelllist.html

allakhazam has always been my go to EQ database, its (mostly) pretty accurate with info altho it doesn't always have the exact info you want. anyway the spell list can list spells from all expansion or by one particular expansion, no option for X expansion + older which would be useful for TLPs

That's where I always go, but I had never even noticed the expansion check box. Sure enough, the spell I am looking for was released with Luclin...

Thank you,

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Allakhazam is an antiquated mess but it’s been the most reliable source of information.

The P1999 wiki is formatted way better but the information can be a little sketchy given it’s based on an emulator and not the real game. I like it a lot for quest info though.

Araduneauctions is another staple resource for me. Got my first two Krono yesterday! :3:

https://www.araduneauctions.net/search/Mischief

schwein11
Oct 13, 2009

Floob posted:

the necro pet buff spells are research only with the expansions available on mischief i think.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music
http://hh.destef.com/spells/?eraID=2

That will tell you where each spell is sold or if research/drop only for classic thru velious.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
I've given up on mischief - Strangely even though there was SO MUCH loot, it felt like it became uglier than a normal server and made people more greedy.

Even within guild groups theres been group leaders quitely assigning loot to themselves or refusing to pass an item to someone else who can and will use it.

All very much 'my alt will use this'.

Even without the loot drama it felt like the crappier elements have all moved to the server and it shows.

I've restarted on an older TLP !

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

that's a shame, haven't seen much of that selfishness on Thornblade, if there is it's mostly limited to the big rear end in a top hat "hardcore" nerd guild (cowboys + camels or w/e the gently caress the stupid name is)

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

speaking of whom I just heard their loser guild leader "Viscious" or Mabbu or whatever got banned again because he wasn't even trying to hide his hacking anymore

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Unfortunately it feels like the best approach on Mischief is to abandon hope of ever looting anything useful and just think of all drops as +plat. You can buy a ridiculously stacked set of gear remarkably cheap. The GDKP guilds had it right from the start. Turn everything into plat and just buy the loot you want later.

The mix of Krono and Mischief’s rules is proving to be a nasty brew, but I place most of the blame for that on Krono. Forget True Box, I want a True Subscription server.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007
I love Thornblade so much. It's not as packed, there's assholes, but I haven't had a lack of groups and ran into a ton of good people to populate my friends list.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
On the bright side I got my Elder Spiritist’s Vambraces today!! :hellyeah:

Now I just need the levels to use it! I adored my Coldain Bracer with the same clicky effect back in the day so having one before the min level in Kunark is awesome.

It’s also fun watching the prices on the Lumi Staff keep dropping. :bisonyes:

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Indecisive posted:

speaking of whom I just heard their loser guild leader "Viscious" or Mabbu or whatever got banned again because he wasn't even trying to hide his hacking anymore

An account got banned. He’s been permabanned for repeat offenses more times than I can count on two hands that I’m personally aware of. He will grab a new VPN IP address and have another character leveled and geared in a couple of days.

schwein11
Oct 13, 2009

I've been taking things slower on Mischief than others - only hit 40 last night. I've been grouping a lot, almost exclusively actually (which was not what I necessarily expected as a Necro going into it), and the groups have almost all been a pleasure, with people usually talking and shooting the poo poo. I've got to group through a lot of old nostalgic content (unrest, e.g.) and also seen parts of the game I never really saw because the other team controlled it back when I played on Tallon Zek when the content was current. I've enjoyed the hell out of it so far (and have gotten a pretty decent set of gear for what I think is reasonable/cheap along the way, far better than I had at the same level way back when). Maybe it's toxic at the high end, but for folks like me on a nostalgia tour taking their time to smell the roses, it's been great.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
I'm really quite enjoying the older TLP I've restarted on. Obviously theres a lot less people but it also seems really friendly.

I've had random people just give me stuff and offer me group spaces when they're PL'ing their alts.

I was also soloing in one area and a high level was murdering everything and when they saw me they said they'd leave so I could have the camp.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Any of the Monk experts in the thread mind giving me some tips to twink out an Iksar Monk alt on Mischief?

If EQitems is to be believed there’s lots of good stuff on Mischief for less than 1k plat. I could pick up Whitened Treant Fists for 500-1000pp, Robe of Living Fungus for 50pp, etc.

I also probably need to spend a little time learning about Haste gear beyond “FBSS good, CoF better”.

Any tips are welcome! Won’t be rolling the Monk for at least a week or two while I try to get enough Krono together to fuel a second account, but that gives me lots of time to shop for bargains or even farm stuff myself.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

BGrifter posted:

Any of the Monk experts in the thread mind giving me some tips to twink out an Iksar Monk alt on Mischief?

If EQitems is to be believed there’s lots of good stuff on Mischief for less than 1k plat. I could pick up Whitened Treant Fists for 500-1000pp, Robe of Living Fungus for 50pp, etc.

I also probably need to spend a little time learning about Haste gear beyond “FBSS good, CoF better”.

Any tips are welcome! Won’t be rolling the Monk for at least a week or two while I try to get enough Krono together to fuel a second account, but that gives me lots of time to shop for bargains or even farm stuff myself.

You want 3 things really. A Fungi Tunic, a haste item and a decent weapon/pair. Imbued Fighter Staffs are 2hb lightweight and 38/40, Stave of Shielding 1hb are 17/28.
FBSS is 1kr or less, COF is still 10+. Get the FBSS.

Really, if you are looking a Krono or two level budget, you need a fungi tunic. Anything else after that is just icing on the top.

You can get a set of Wu's cheap, some hp/ac rings and fill out other slots as plat allows.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Kalas posted:

You want 3 things really. A Fungi Tunic, a haste item and a decent weapon/pair. Imbued Fighter Staffs are 2hb lightweight and 38/40, Stave of Shielding 1hb are 17/28.
FBSS is 1kr or less, COF is still 10+. Get the FBSS.

Really, if you are looking a Krono or two level budget, you need a fungi tunic. Anything else after that is just icing on the top.

You can get a set of Wu's cheap, some hp/ac rings and fill out other slots as plat allows.

Thank you! I’ll start keeping an eye out for a deal on a FBSS and the weapons. I’m thinking maybe I can skip the Fungi because I’ll be PLing then duoing the Monk with my likely to be 50+ Druid. Gonna try to hit 40 tonight!

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Just got to level 43 with my crew, running war/clr/mag and my buddy is running mnk/shm/mag.

Having fun so far, been a LONG time since I've actually played, ran SolA->SolB->LGuk, think we're gonna do The Hole and then karnors/seb, though I'm not looking forward to getting the seb key without a tracker... might end up having to pay someone to do it lol

Also we've gotten 5 rings for jboots across those zones, so yay for jboots for all our non-sow classes! Sadly never got an FBSS while we were doing lord/AM/hand and we were just slightly too slow to pull frenzy, I'd clear to the room and before I could pull the 3 we'd get respawns.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

MF_James posted:

Having fun so far, been a LONG time since I've actually played, ran SolA->SolB->LGuk, think we're gonna do The Hole and then karnors/seb, though I'm not looking forward to getting the seb key without a tracker... might end up having to pay someone to do it lol

Seb key was easy on Aradune. They upped the number of spawns on the rare cycle to like 100.

E: it would probably be pretty easy to get hangman's noose from the rare cycle of you use showEQ. Also, once you get 54, consider trying chardok, it's great experience and probably great loot on mischief, but it'll be dicey without CC.

DisgracelandUSA fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jun 29, 2021

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Been a rollercoaster of a day so far.

Woke up and was running around Kunark when I saw Ulump Pujluk for the Druid epic was up. Shouted to the zone asking if anyone was willing to help. A 60 Chanter responded and after two attempts with a 55 Mage helping the second, we got him down! :woop:

Then like a total dumbass I took a death in OoT auto running into Cyclops Island. :negative:

But now I’m nice and baked, earned back all the lost XP plus some, and even just bought my third Krono. So we’re back to :woop: territory.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

MF_James posted:

Trakanon idol is tradable and goes on the keyring. I bought one for 200p on auction.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka
I got to 16 with my Necro today. I've spent the last few levels in North Ro just camping a single spawn at the undead ruins near zone in, and Rahotep has been spawning quite regularly. I've killed him probably 20 times now, so my bank and shared bank is full of random loot. Not much I can use so far, but good for selling, or alts.

I'm enjoying it and playing very casually, but the groups of boxers that roll through can be annoying. Today one of them ignored me completely and kept pulling the poo poo I had been camping. But when assholes are out I just move to another area. Went deeper into Befallen than I was comfortable with today solo, but lived lol.

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...

BGrifter posted:

Thank you! I’ll start keeping an eye out for a deal on a FBSS and the weapons. I’m thinking maybe I can skip the Fungi because I’ll be PLing then duoing the Monk with my likely to be 50+ Druid. Gonna try to hit 40 tonight!

If you have a healer box you don't need it.

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...

BGrifter posted:

Runed Bolster Belt is a good haste item, cheaper than CoF but still several krono.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

BGrifter posted:

Need to know your krono budget.

SoS = 2-3kpp
Treant fists = 500-1000p
Belt of tranq (21%) - 1000p
Fungi = 2-3kr

Nice things to get
resist rings, granite bracers, shiverback arms/gloves/boots, empyran jerkin, diamondine earrings, - this is like 1000-2000 combined

Rakusha cloak = 4kr
CoF = 8kr
41% haste belt = probably 30kr

A surfing dog?!
Apr 23, 2006

I planned a bit before twinking out my Iksar Monk for relatively cheap so I'll toss in some info about the stuff that costs less than a krono. Always check https://tlp-auctions.com/search/Mischief to make sure you're not being ripped off.

Weapons: Jade Mace is probably the best weapon until the damage cap comes off being 9/18 and costing around 500ish plat. Adamantite Clubs are very good with a very slightly worse ratio than stave of shielding while only costing around 500pp. They're 15/25 so they have a better ratio than treant fists/knuckle dusters. If you do get a fist weapon, I'd go with Knuckle Dusters over the treant fists because they're cheaper with the exact same damage/delay. The two handers probably end up being better but they're expensive enough for me to hold off until they drop further in price. Smoldering Brand for 100ish plat kinda competes with the Jade Mace for the same damage cap reasons and it has a low damage proc, but it's also slower.

Ear: For earrings from cheapest to most expensive I think it'd be Diamondine Earring -> Sarnak Earring of Station -> Fingerbone Hoop with the crafted hp earring or maybe resists somewhere in there.

Head: Executioners hoods are usually incredibly cheap and solid for your head slot, but if you've got around 1k to spend you can buy a Crown of King Tranix for 13 AC and +20 MR.

Face: Sarnak-Hide Masks are pretty solid for more STR and cost 100-300pp. Pearlescent Masks might be slightly cheaper and are better defensively if you want to stack more MR.

Neck: Runed Lava Pendant is 100-200ish plat and pretty solid with AC and STR. Sapphire Platinum Necklace has 1 more STR with no AC and costs 500ish plat.

Back: Back slot was pretty difficult to find anything worthwhile without dumping a lot of plat. Hierophant's Cloak is great if you're willing to spend upwards of about a krono, but I settled for a White Wolf-Hide Cloak with 7AC +3 STR/DEX for about 200. Cloak of Shadows has +13 DEX for maybe around 500 plat if you want to proc more often. Hooded Black Cloak has 10 AC, +45 HP, and +5 STR and I just saw it's dropped down to 500 plat, so I'd shoot for that if I were you.

Shoulders: Shoulders might be the roughest slot to fill with weight restrictions, and I ended up just getting Wu's for 40 plat. If anyone knows of any good monk shoulders for cheap that started dropping this expansion, I'd like to know about them.

Arms: You can probably get shiverback hide arms for around 300ish plat. I don't really know what else works well in this slot for cheap, but shiverback is pretty good.

Chest: Syythrak Hide Vests are incredibly cheap for how good they are, usually between 50-150 plat. Empyran Jerkins are probably rarer with people not really fighting in the Hole, but I was using that until I found a Fungi on my main. +30 HP, +10 STR, +10 MR for 1k plat was pretty good. Shiver-Back Jerkin is about the same price for overall better melee stats but no HP or MR. Nathsar Breastplates have 18AC , 6 STR/AGI and you should be able to get one for around 500.

Wrists: Granite bracers are nice for human monks, but not usable by Iksar monks. Hardened Clay Bracelets are great for 500ish plat. Dragon Bone Bracelets are about the same offensively but can be more expensive. Nathsar Bracers are 200ish plat for decent AC and some STR. You can get a Scourgetail Bracer for minor stats for free off low level nameds pretty easily while leveling up.

Fingers: Platinum Fire Weddings Rings are great at +55 HP and 5AC for about 250 plat. Jagged Bands are less than 50 plat for some extra STR if you need it.

Waist: I would try to get a FBSS for about 1.5k plat. I can't imagine the price not going down more with those sash of the dragonborns being better and only costing around 3k plat.

Hands: Shiverback-Hide Gloves are about the same price as the arms and pretty great as well with more MR.

Legs: Nathsar Leggings drop in Chardok fairly often with 12 AC, +4 AGI, and +2 MR while being relatively cheap. Shiverback is slightly worse but about the same price. Wu's is a very cheap alternative if you just want to fill the slot, but that's pretty much true for every piece of Wu's I guess.

Feet: Shiverback-Hide Boots are slightly more expensive than the others but they've got amazing stats.

Range: Sandwich of Foul Smelling Herbs is +5 Stamina and +50 HP ranged slot food for 100-200 plat. I throw stuff too often to want to risk eating it so I just never got one myself.

A surfing dog?! fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jun 30, 2021

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.
Shoulder = Wurm Scale Cloak, Sode of Empowerment, or Mantle of fire. I think there is one that drops of Trak too

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

shirunei posted:

Shoulder = Wurm Scale Cloak, Sode of Empowerment, or Mantle of fire. I think there is one that drops of Trak too

Poisoned Mantle is the Trak one.

Also if you're a puller, Shield of Rainbow Hues runs about 2000pp and is a great addition to the monk toolkit.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

For monks, don't you forgo a weapon at like 35 or something as your fists are always better?

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

MF_James posted:

For monks, don't you forgo a weapon at like 35 or something as your fists are always better?

Haha if you have your epic. Normally a level 35 monk would have 17/38 unarmed. A Stave of Shielding is 17/28 to give you an idea.
Level 35 is when you can MQ the epic, and based on the prices of individual parts I can't imagine this would be less then 30-35kr on Thornblade.

http://eqstats.net/Misc/MonkFists

At 60 a monk's unarmed is 23/38, and the epic sets the speed at 26 which is why monks are damage gods through Velious.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Kalas posted:

Haha if you have your epic. Normally a level 35 monk would have 17/38 unarmed. A Stave of Shielding is 17/28 to give you an idea.
Level 35 is when you can MQ the epic, and based on the prices of individual parts I can't imagine this would be less then 30-35kr on Thornblade.

http://eqstats.net/Misc/MonkFists

At 60 a monk's unarmed is 23/38, and the epic sets the speed at 26 which is why monks are damage gods through Velious.

Well, shows how out of touch I am. I also never really played melee except a paladin tank we had which obviously melee damage wasn't really a huge concern.

So we should be keeping an eye out for cheap 1hb/2hb until we get our monk epic; staves of shielding, jade mace, adamantite club, knuckle dusters, any others that are better?

Some folks are mentioning damage cap changes, when do those happen? What exactly happens/changes?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Learning so much in this discussion, thank you everyone contributing!

I definitely won’t be getting the epic at 35, but getting it is the long term goal. I’ll have a capped or closed to capped Druid by that point to help with a lot of the camps.

A FBSS is starting to look like a bit of a trap with the Belt of Tranquility as cheap as 1-2k plat. FBSS seems to be bouncing back to 2k so I might as well take the one with the stats.

Weapons-wise it’s a stopgap measure till the Epic but there are some incredible stopgap measures available. A Tranquility Staff looked perfect but I’m priced out on them. Trying to stick to stuff no more than maybe 4-5k plat at the high end and preferably 1-2k. Peacebringer is a straight up worse TStaff with no proc and one less damage at the same delay, but it’s also dirt cheap. Might grab one for the short term.

Are there any weapons notable for high threat generation? In groups I want to keep it low of course, but it’d be nice to have something in my bags for duoing with my Druid.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

honestly, you should be able to keep agro with the monk unless you're pulling 3+ at a time with just dps.

My buddy has been using his fists alone for a while (we're ... 43 rn) and his monk keeps agro off the healers on 1-2 mobs if we have a bigger pull while my warrior deals with the rest.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

BGrifter posted:

Are there any weapons notable for high threat generation? In groups I want to keep it low of course, but it’d be nice to have something in my bags for duoing with my Druid.

Sticking a wulfanite augment in a weapon will give it a stun/dd proc, and any stun is big agro.
They come every 10 levels from a vendor in any race capital city and can be removed. They are tradable on FV style servers which removes some headaches.
They are lore, but you can use say a level 20 and level 30 augment for dual wielding. They are fairly cheap with the level 50 top end version ~500-600p.

Monks have no direct threat snap, but are good at a constant generation. On raids they will shed agro via feign death to keep from getting splatted.

Most 'threat' weapon are going to have stuns built in, and having an augment proc and the internal proc will help. Those tend to have high level requirements for the internal procs.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Kalas posted:

Sticking a wulfanite augment in a weapon will give it a stun/dd proc, and any stun is big agro.
They come every 10 levels from a vendor in any race capital city and can be removed. They are tradable on FV style servers which removes some headaches.
They are lore, but you can use say a level 20 and level 30 augment for dual wielding. They are fairly cheap with the level 50 top end version ~500-600p.

Monks have no direct threat snap, but are good at a constant generation. On raids they will shed agro via feign death to keep from getting splatted.

Most 'threat' weapon are going to have stuns built in, and having an augment proc and the internal proc will help. Those tend to have high level requirements for the internal procs.

Sorry, I should have specified I’m on Mischief so TLP Kunark era. No augments till I think LDoN?

In unrelated news it’s amusing sitting in EC seeing a half dozen people spam “WTB Krono 6800” then suddenly followed up by a “WTS Krono 6500”. Tons of people transparently manipulating pricing on AraduneAuctions by having their boxes shout WTB at a high price, then WTS at a still inflated but slightly lower price. Or they do the opposite and spam an absurdly low price for an item and ignore anyone who tries to buy it to drive down the price. It’s rapidly making AraduneAuctions worthless.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

BGrifter posted:

Sorry, I should have specified I’m on Mischief so TLP Kunark era. No augments till I think LDoN?

In unrelated news it’s amusing sitting in EC seeing a half dozen people spam “WTB Krono 6800” then suddenly followed up by a “WTS Krono 6500”. Tons of people transparently manipulating pricing on AraduneAuctions by having their boxes shout WTB at a high price, then WTS at a still inflated but slightly lower price. Or they do the opposite and spam an absurdly low price for an item and ignore anyone who tries to buy it to drive down the price. It’s rapidly making AraduneAuctions worthless.

Nope, those are in right now. Just use find for 'melee augments' in a city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Kalas posted:

Nope, those are in right now. Just use find for 'melee augments' in a city.

ooh that’s cool, thank you for the heads up. Now I’d better do a bunch of reading about augments cause I’m guessing there’s useful Druid ones I’m missing too.