Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

H110Hawk posted:

Plex sync is so flaky as to be pointless. It's way easier to just copy the files onto a tablet and play them directly.
It's mostly fine. I've used it for ? years (since it came out) and can count the complete failures on one hand.
On android I need to force-close the app perhaps once a month to make whatever broke re-load and start working again.
On iPad/iOS I just have to remember iOS is garbage and leave the app open whilst it syncs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

H110Hawk posted:

Plex sync is so flaky as to be pointless. It's way easier to just copy the files onto a tablet and play them directly.

I never found this. Having last night's TV magically waiting on my phone every morning made my pre-covid commute bearable.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

christ
my movies are never gonna not buffer every 5 seconds unless i get my pc hooked up to the ethernet too, are they
which would be fine if the jack i need to reach to do that wasnt behind a loving wall-mounted bookshelf

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I've been using a Synology 918+ for about 3 years now and it rules. I'm pretty satisfied with the updates and ecosystem. Anything I can't do in the ecosystem i just run in a container and it can probably support 4 simultaneous 1080 streams without issue.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

hbag posted:

christ
my movies are never gonna not buffer every 5 seconds unless i get my pc hooked up to the ethernet too, are they
which would be fine if the jack i need to reach to do that wasnt behind a loving wall-mounted bookshelf

Looking at your post history, you have a DS220+ as your server. Is your PC direct playing content from the server? Or is it requesting transcodes?

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

teagone posted:

Looking at your post history, you have a DS220+ as your server. Is your PC direct playing content from the server? Or is it requesting transcodes?

iirc ive tried both

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug
When you start playing some content, go into the Plex Dashboard from a web browser and you should see any active streams. It will tell you whether the content is being served via Direct Play, Direct Stream or if it's transcoding. Based on your issue and my experience it sounds like your content is being forced into transcoding.

Direct Play is negotiated between client/server based on the clients capabilities so if your content is always transcoding this is likely a problem with the client. I don't know if you're watching from a laptop, ps4, appletv or nvidia shield but one thing I've consistently noticed across platforms: Plex clients default configuration sucks. Go through your clients settings and make sure there is nothing that would downgrade your content, triggering encoding, ex: having 1080p content but your client requesting it in 720p.

This can also happen if content is served via the internet. Plex tries to be helpful and slim down your videos to save you bandwidth at the expense of taxing your CPU to hell. Solvable again by going into the client settings.

Edit: Just realized wifi was in the mix here as well. For what it's worth I've used powerline networking successfully with Plex over my LAN.

Dr. Poz fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jun 29, 2021

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

hbag posted:

christ

Get to drillin. :getin:

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

You're not even transcoding. Seconding this.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Are you able to mount the network drive and try playing the file over the network as a test?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Alternatively, Powerline if your electrical isn't poo poo

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

wait what the gently caress is powerline i thought it was just a brand name for some wifi booster

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

hbag posted:

wait what the gently caress is powerline i thought it was just a brand name for some wifi booster

You get two little boxes. One plugs into a power outlet near your tv. The other plugs into a power outlet near your router. Your electrical wiring acts as Ethernet. How well it works is a bit of a crapshoot.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

TheScott2K posted:

You get two little boxes. One plugs into a power outlet near your tv. The other plugs into a power outlet near your router. Your electrical wiring acts as Ethernet. How well it works is a bit of a crapshoot.

yeah i got a pair i never used i just thought they were wifi boosters lmao

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I have a newer house so mine works great, I get close to gigabit on the internal network, which is way faster than the WAN ever will be.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Medullah posted:

I have a newer house so mine works great, I get close to gigabit on the internal network, which is way faster than the WAN ever will be.

I have a house from 1968 with spaghetti wiring and mine also works great. My parents' house was built in 2010, powerline is flaky for them. It's basically impossible to predict.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Medullah posted:

I have a brand new house and they didn’t work worth poo poo, YMMV

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

just got them hooked up
pc says "no internet" under the ethernet connection but its working fine so lol
going to see if it streams any better now

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Dicty Bojangles posted:

I have a brand new house and they didn’t work worth poo poo, YMMV

I think they don't work worth a crap if you need to cross the breaker box. I've considered MOCA, but the adapters are expensive and sometimes also suck.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

TheScott2K posted:

I have a house from 1968 with spaghetti wiring and mine also works great. My parents' house was built in 2010, powerline is flaky for them. It's basically impossible to predict.

My parents house was built in the 1880s, and is some crazy mix of still in use knob and tube and romex. Amazingly, powerline adapters work great there.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I think its the kit themselves a lot of the time, I've had a couple fail and the good ones need hard-resetting every so often. They're not cheap either.

I wondered why they weren't just building them into wall sockets - I found one small company that produced a line, but it seems to have died out ages back. I guess you want to leave the socket in place for 20+ years without upgrading to a new standard or replacing duds every year. Wonder how long USB-wall plugs have got left.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

They also won't work through a surge suppressor or line conditioner, which is why the owner's manual says you gotta put them directly into the wall outlet.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Chubby Henparty posted:

Wonder how long USB-wall plugs have got left.

I can't wait until I can get USB PD outlets. I have five things left in the house which don't immediately (and inefficiently) turn AC into DC, and my new fridge only pulls 90 watts so it could theoretically be converted.

The advantage to a USB C power outlet is that it won't kill you if you stick a fork in it. Also, in theory, DC house wiring could save me about $100 a year in solar energy that I immediately convert to heat outdoors in order to create alternating current which I immediately convert to heat indoors before powering my laptop.

cruft fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jun 29, 2021

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

cruft posted:

They also won't work through a surge suppressor or line conditioner, which is why the owner's manual says you gotta put them directly into the wall outlet.

one of em's plugged into a weird extension cord with a too-short ground pin hole and its working fine

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

hbag posted:

one of em's plugged into a weird extension cord with a too-short ground pin hole and its working fine

That should be okay if it's only an extension cord. I don't know what "extension cord" means in the UK but here it means "flimsy pair of wires with 1-3 outlets on the end".

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

The Diddler posted:

I think they don't work worth a crap if you need to cross the breaker box. I've considered MOCA, but the adapters are expensive and sometimes also suck.

Exactly, I didn’t check whether I’d be crossing the breaker before buying but thank god I had a return option. For the first week I got ok speeds and thought all was well, but then it went down to 56k levels.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

I finally received this gem in the mail today from Shout Factory (God bless everyone who works there) and I have a question.

I ripped all the episodes using MakeMKV. Mostly because it's quick and easy and keeps all my files in their original quality and I like that for archival purposes (I guess the same way people like to rip CDs as wavs or ogg files).

I know people have said mpeg2 is a dead format and Plex doesn't like it, but I found no problem playing them. Except if I play them via a web browser. If I go to Plex.tv on my laptop, the episodes all show up with this neon green color covering the whole screen. No other shows or movies do this so in guessing it's because it's mpeg2. I'm not sure why mpeg2 would cause that, or why it only does it on the web browser (the episodes play fine in every Plex app I tried).

Is there any way to get them to play properly in the web browser? I tried converting the episodes in Plex instead of playing the original quality but that didn't help.

The last resort I guess would be to compress all of them but it seems kind of annoying because the show plays fine in literally a dozen different Plex apps I tried. Also this show is old as hell and the picture quality sucks to begin with (as all old Fox shows do; I'm guessing it was shot on video instead of film?) so any amount of compression really rears its ugly head with a show like this.

If I absolutely have to recompress every episode, what's the best option? Placebo quality in Handbrake? I'd also prefer the files to not actually be larger than the originals. I also never know what to check off in Handbrake. Should I tell it to deinterlace? And why does Handbrake always try to slightly alter the resolution from 720x480 to something weird like 715x390 or something?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I know people have said mpeg2 is a dead format

Bit of a derail here, but I would say mpeg2 is more "stable" or "legacy" than "dead". There's a lot you might want to put into a video file that mpeg2 doesn't support, but this is more like GIF files: they're all over the place and for archival purposes they're not a bad choice. I think "dead" is the wrong term.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Are they transcoding?

EDIT: I assume your browser doesn't support direct play of any mpeg2 files, but I'm just guessing

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

cruft posted:

Bit of a derail here, but I would say mpeg2 is more "stable" or "legacy" than "dead". There's a lot you might want to put into a video file that mpeg2 doesn't support, but this is more like GIF files: they're all over the place and for archival purposes they're not a bad choice. I think "dead" is the wrong term.

I meant more that I've been told here not to use mpeg2 for my files because nothing supports it or something like that. I do prefer to keep dvd rips in mpeg2 though because I like them being "untouched" and there's other stuff I might want to explore some day like upscaling which I assume looks way better on raw files. I remember how amazing DVDs upscaled on the PS3 for example.

The Diddler posted:

Are they transcoding?

EDIT: I assume your browser doesn't support direct play of any mpeg2 files, but I'm just guessing

Thanks! I did try to tell the show in my browser to convert them instead of playing original quality but it's still all neon green.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Seems like you're running into the kinds of problems that cause people here to advise others not to leave things in MPEG2...

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Yeah, I don't think browsers will play MPEG2. Chrome seems to have the broadest support for codecs and it won't do it. VLC will.

I get your desire to keep things "original", but I don't think MPEG2 was really ever used outside of DVDs (maybe television?) so not many things actually implemented it. As a standard it's not going away. As a format to keep things you want to play on your laptop or cell phone, it's a bad choice.

So transcoding these (keeping the originals, since you care about such things) is the way to go. I personally like Handbrake.

For the "best" compression option, I recommend you do something like the Chromecast preset, which will preserve surround sound and encode to H.264. There is broad support currently for H.264, and since you appear to be willing to store the relatively large MPEG2 files just in case something better comes along (it will, H.265 support is growing right now), your plan should be to periodically, every 4 years or so, re-transcode your entire library to whatever the hot new thing is.

Having written that, it sounds like a lot of work to me without a whole lot of benefit. MPEG2 is already a lossy encoding, and it's not very good at making files smaller, by today's standards. If I had the original uncompressed files, I would absolutely keep those around. But I don't, and neither do you: these are held by the production studio. Re-encoding MPEG2 to H.264, for me, has the benefit of wide support, making things much smaller, and since I don't tend to focus on smoke in the background of the shot, isn't reducing quality enough that I notice (except on Bladerunner, for some damned reason).

E: Removing an "IIRC" in which I did not, in fact, recall correctly.

cruft fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 30, 2021

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
OK thank you. I'll re encode to the Chromecast preset and I'll just keep the discs around as the "masters". I'll use the quality settings that keep the file size very close to the original mpeg2 files so there's virtually no quality loss but also compatible with web browsers.

I also got this classic today (just released last month) and this is getting a 100% raw MakeMKV rip, I don't care what anyone says!!!1

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

OK thank you. I'll re encode to the Chromecast preset and I'll just keep the discs around as the "masters". I'll use the quality settings that keep the file size very close to the original mpeg2 files so there's virtually no quality loss but also compatible with web browsers.

I also got this classic today (just released last month) and this is getting a 100% raw MakeMKV rip, I don't care what anyone says!!!1

That is legit a beautifully shot movie, it looks amazing. The cinematographer went on to shoot most of Spielbergs movies after that, winning a few Oscars along the way.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

You can't melt stone with ice, none of that makes any sense. :argh:

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
Have you tried the Plex app? It’s available on the Plex site, might be able to handle the mpeg2 without you doing a bunch of work to re-encode them

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

Have you tried the Plex app? It’s available on the Plex site, might be able to handle the mpeg2 without you doing a bunch of work to re-encode them

It works great on every single Plex app I tried. Even the one from the Windows store. Only thing it doesn't work on is the web browser.

Honestly since I almost never use the web browser I'll probably just leave it be, most likely.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

anyone know how i can tell sonarr to hard link torrent files rather than copying them? or does it do that by default? i genuinely can't tell - the file modification times seem exactly the same in both directories so im ASSUMING it's hard linking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

hbag posted:

anyone know how i can tell sonarr to hard link torrent files rather than copying them? or does it do that by default? i genuinely can't tell - the file modification times seem exactly the same in both directories so im ASSUMING it's hard linking?

ls -i will show you the inode number. If two files have the same inode number, they're hard linked.