Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Just dropped $560 AUD on dice :v:

(Group pledge for the Dispel x Wyrmwood dice on KS)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Wasn't there some big drama with dispel dice recently? Or am I thinking of some other mega-expensive "artisan" dice thing?

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

FirstAidKite posted:

Wasn't there some big drama with dispel dice recently? Or am I thinking of some other mega-expensive "artisan" dice thing?

I hadn't heard anything, but that might explain why a set a friend ordered is like 6 months late.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

FirstAidKite posted:

Yes, this came up a while ago https://www.reddit.com/r/HobbyDrama...ntent=post_body

I remember at the time the first kickstarter was going that people wondered how she'd be able to produce so many "hand poured" dice. No idea how that ultimately shook out though.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The Dispel x Wyrmwood Dice KS got delayed like a month to make sure she got the last batches of her previous KS out on time - it was up on one of the Wyrmlyfe eps discussing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYS7p--MLeM

As much as I have been a bit leery on Wyrmwood wrt their modular gaming table getting up and running, which they seem to be almost done correcting course on atm, I think the combination of the 2 companies will keep any Dispel nonsense (if there is/was ever any) in check.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Was about to say "oh, wait" but hmm, it's my Dark Moon Dice that haven't shipped.

I... don't even remember what pattern I asked for.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Please everyone welcome newly-made trad games mod potatocubed! I'm delighted to have a second moderator for Trad Games.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Leperflesh posted:

Please everyone welcome newly-made trad games mod potatocubed! I'm delighted to have a second moderator for Trad Games.

Let's hope the experience doesn't leave him fries! :v:

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Let's hope the experience doesn't leave him fries! :v:

If it does, I'm sure that we all can hash things out.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Can we please just nip the bad puns in the spud for once?

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Be careful, I've got my eyes on you now.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
oh, that sure is a surfries. I'm sure potatocubed will help TG run like a well-oiled mashine, though. He's a gratin choice!

Potato puns.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
something something Dan Quayle

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

potatocubed posted:

Be careful, I've got my eyes on you now.

Bravas

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

All hail the pomme de terre nom de guerre!

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Do you love it when I call you Big Papa?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
X

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I heard you're a dick tater

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
more like pomme d6

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I'm pleased to see more nightshades in the moderation team.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Spud

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Anybody have any experience with the Age of Sigmar RPG? Do we have a thread for it?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It's getting a very thorough F&F at the moment, though I think that's more setting focused.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Halloween Jack posted:

It's getting a very thorough F&F at the moment, though I think that's more setting focused.

Because they're just doing lore it's not getting archived with the other F&Fs, yeah? There's no way just to see their posts in isolation?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

CitizenKeen posted:

There's no way just to see their posts in isolation?

Find one of the posts, click the '?' on the OP's profile and you get all their posts in the thread.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

mllaneza posted:

Find one of the posts, click the '?' on the OP's profile and you get all their posts in the thread.

I've been a goon for 18 years and I still don't know poo poo. Thank you.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

CitizenKeen posted:

Anybody have any experience with the Age of Sigmar RPG? Do we have a thread for it?

I've played a few sessions. It seemed pretty loving dope.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

CitizenKeen posted:

Because they're just doing lore it's not getting archived with the other F&Fs, yeah? There's no way just to see their posts in isolation?
Pretty sure the other F&Fs are also not getting archived.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Yeah, nothing has been getting saved. Part of what put a damper on continuing my review for a while.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Megazver posted:

I've played a few sessions. It seemed pretty loving dope.

It looks loving dope. As a total Warhammer ignoramus, I knew (by nerd osmosis) only that Sigmar was a contentious reboot of fantasy Warhammer. A coworker described it as "D&D by way of Exalted", which piqued my interest. Grabbed the hardback last night. Liking what I see.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Age of Sigmar was mostly contentious because it's so different from old Fantasy, which a lot of people liked. It's def a cool setting in itself and I've heard good things about the RPG.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Also toward the end your average WHFB army required hundreds of expensive minis for what was essentially massed-rank expendable cannon fodder. That inertia was a big problem because it deterred new players, but the grogs who'd already bought in didn't want it changed either. Sigmar invalidated all those lists and a lot of that investment in one fell swoop. Also in the beginning the lore justification of Sigmar felt very slapdash and half-done, hardly helping justify blowing up one of the oldest and coolest fantasy universes.

Imagine if Wizards of the Coast decide tomorrow to get rid of lands in Magic The Gathering and also started printing and allowing only oval-shaped cards going forward. So now a Modern deck doesn't cost a new player $500 but everyone who already had a $500+ deck is pissed.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jun 30, 2021

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

my tomb kings :negative:

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
my massive pro-painted forge world chaos dwarf army 🔥 :cry: :argh:

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Weren't there a lot of AoS rules at first that were really silly and unworkable? I faintly recall hearing something about that.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Weren't there a lot of AoS rules at first that were really silly and unworkable? I faintly recall hearing something about that.
They did a set of army lists for old armies with a bunch of bad jokes in them. "Settra does not kneel!" so you'd better hope you're standing the whole time or you instantly lose the game. Don't drop your dice. This was for the old setting's factions, not the new ones, which didn't help the reception.

The original core rules were hosed up enough that some models were unable to attack other models, as they were big on "base them however you like! all measuring is from the model itself!" If certain models were based on their official GW-supplied bases they couldn't get within melee range of enemies.

They did a lot of work to unfuck their poo poo.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Both the rules, and the communications from the company's leaders, were contemptuous of their existing players and dismissive of their concerns and problems with the game. That attitude trickled down from the company's CEO at the time, Tom Kirby.

I have heard that the tabletop game has been improved significantly; it's still a skirmishy game where you shove your models together rather than an army maneuver strategic battle type game, so it's not in any way a replacement for the old Warhammer Fantasy Battle game.

Fortunately, Mantic stepped into that gap and rolled out Kings of War 2nd Ed, which is a better ruleset for that large scale army maneuver game than WFB ever was. Mantic was founded by former GW employees, and while its setting is generic dogshit, the game is good and it explicitly permits you to use third-party models... such as your warhammer models... to play. Unfortunately, Mantic lacks the market share to ensure that anyone can find a game of KoW at any game shop the way GW did, so the existence of that game doesn't necessarily provide an outlet for every dejected former WFB fantasy battle player. And like I said, the generic fantasy setting has zero appeal.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

AOS 1.0 was generally considered a disastrously inept launch. The standout to me, way above everything else, was that they tried to encourage casual play...by not giving points values for units. This in fact moves burden from the designers to the players, making it worse for casual play.

AOS 2.0 is considered pretty good and AOS 3.0 is out and generally considered a massive improvement. Having played...way more WHFB than is at all justified for the amount of fun I had, even just reading the AOS rules feels like having shackles cast off. They still insist on a truly baffling initiative rule that can cause double turns (e.g. a player can go second in the 1st round and then first in the 2nd round, which if they've got a lot of guns is...devastating), but I hope that tournaments just revolt and just start removing double turn in their scenario rules.

I still think it's not as cool or interesting or fun a ruleset as Infinity or Saga but I'm more an observer than an actual player so :v: If you want a more indepth summary from somebody who has way more expertise, check out the goonhammer 5 year retrospective https://www.goonhammer.com/age-of-sigmar-a-5-year-retrospective/

90s Cringe Rock posted:

my massive pro-painted forge world chaos dwarf army 🔥 :cry: :argh:

In fairness the Chaos Dwarfs had been unsupported/illegal for like a goddamn decade prior.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Did GW ever rerelease their Warmaster stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Leperflesh posted:

Both the rules, and the communications from the company's leaders, were contemptuous of their existing players and dismissive of their concerns and problems with the game. That attitude trickled down from the company's CEO at the time, Tom Kirby.

Was Kirby the one who considered video games of GW IP to be direct competitors, as well as once claiming that they had "outlived" RPGs?