Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
So, I’m going to be half teaching for a semester at a high school and the other half of my time needs to be spent doing what’s called a “professional inquiry project” where we can incorporate something we’re passionate about into education. An idea I’ve floated by and was told I could probably do it, was a board game club. However, I would like for it to be specifically focused on co-op play. No facing off against other people, (I’m not against the idea, but the school is going to push a theme next year and part of that is the idea of working with others, and so I want to lean into that)

So my question would be, what’s some of the best co-op games right now that would appeal to High School students?

Marvel Champions is gonna be on my list. I’m probably going to bring Mansions of Madness, and the Lord of the Rings game FFG did as well. What else should I look for? I think theme is going to matter a lot to them, I saw that there was a Horizon: Zero Dawn co-op board game, is it any good? Length not a huge issue. I’ll only have an hour and twenty minutes per session but my idea is that I’ll probably just take some pictures of how board states were set up so they can resume the next day. So don’t worry a lot about timing.

So yeah, any recommendations would be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
The best coop games by far are the crew and spirit island. Spirit Islands spiritual prequel pandemic might be worth considering.

Codenames duet is an excellent coop game,and along with the crew is quite cheap. If I was buying games for a coop board game club I'd start with The Crew, the Crew 2 and Codenames Duet.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Infinitum posted:

I gotta remember to grab the Promo Cards at some point, so I can get the dumbass that is Shop Cat

hello dumbass, please do okay

Please do not insult Shoppy the Shopcat, may he rest in peace.

Another kickstarter featured him too but it was an enamel pin d&d class kickstarter, not a board game

million dollar mack
Aug 20, 2006
Larson ain't getting this cow.

Jedit posted:

Are you sure that's the whole rule? Kemet: Ta-Seti changed the end game trigger to "If a player has 8 VP at the start of their turn", but there are two separate conditions: if that player has more VP than anyone else he wins immediately, but if he doesn't then the game ends at the end of the current Day phase.

It sure is!

End of game

If a player has at least 9VP (sum of their temporary VP and Permanent VP) on their turn before playing an action token, and no other player has more VP than them, then they immediately win the game.”

That’s it. That’s all it says.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

nordichammer posted:

Food chain magnate

Unironically yes, FCM best < 40 min 2p game :yeshaha:

HouseOfLeaves99
Mar 20, 2009

The Black Stones posted:

So, I’m going to be half teaching for a semester at a high school and the other half of my time needs to be spent doing what’s called a “professional inquiry project” where we can incorporate something we’re passionate about into education. An idea I’ve floated by and was told I could probably do it, was a board game club. However, I would like for it to be specifically focused on co-op play. No facing off against other people, (I’m not against the idea, but the school is going to push a theme next year and part of that is the idea of working with others, and so I want to lean into that)

So my question would be, what’s some of the best co-op games right now that would appeal to High School students?

Marvel Champions is gonna be on my list. I’m probably going to bring Mansions of Madness, and the Lord of the Rings game FFG did as well. What else should I look for? I think theme is going to matter a lot to them, I saw that there was a Horizon: Zero Dawn co-op board game, is it any good? Length not a huge issue. I’ll only have an hour and twenty minutes per session but my idea is that I’ll probably just take some pictures of how board states were set up so they can resume the next day. So don’t worry a lot about timing.

I've used board games in my middle school classroom to teach my emotional behavior disorder kids to get along. Forbidden Island and Pandemic worked well. Flash Point as well, Mysterium. Not technically a true co-op, but turn based Captain Sonar was a huge hit.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

The Black Stones posted:

it's probably very selfish of me but I would personally not recommend playing a Marvel licensed game with high schoolers. they're already smothered by Disney advertising, please don't also give them more of it during their extracurricular school time.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

!Klams posted:

Played Cthulu: Death May Die yesterday, and had a right blast! In our first game, we IMMEDIATELY caught on fire and got lept on by a whole host of horrible terrible things and died really before we'd even started. We set up again though, and our second game was amazing.

The fact that we died exactly the turn we killed Cthulu felt really awesome, and the whole thing only took about an hour.

In our game, Lizzie Borden killed one form of Cthulhu, but the last one was killed by Rasputin tricking him into the main corridor, where my marksman had been spending the entire game shooting people without moving. Of course, she had the quirk of pyromania, which doesn’t affect you if you don’t move… So as I went insane from the boss, I also burned him to death.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Deck builders might be bad for a club, because you gain a lot every single time you play them, but it requires build up and set up. Each hand involves reading a lot of new cards.

Yes for the crew, spirit island, the captain is dead or space alert.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

FirstAidKite posted:

Please do not insult Shoppy the Shopcat, may he rest in peace.

(I was referencing this thread - hello dumbass, please do okay)

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jun 29, 2021

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Infinitum posted:

link removed

That link just creates more questions

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jun 29, 2021

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Oh no it is I that is in fact the dumbass.

Link fixed.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

The Black Stones posted:

Hanabi
Shipwreck Arcana
The Crew
Quirky Circuits

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Just One would be my recommendation. My friend teaches special needs kids and they love it.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
The Mind is a good beginner co-op. Also forbidden island/desert

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

The Black Stones posted:

Space Alert

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The Black Stones posted:

Sub Terra, perhaps? It's simple, short, and requires a lot of coordination to win.

An interesting alternative might be Between Two Cities, which is also short and simple. Players work in pairs with their neighbours to build cities that they share ownership of. I suggest it even though it's not strictly coop because the winner is the person whose worst city has the highest score. This in essence provides a metric of who has cooperated the best, which is hard to come by.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

It really depends on the students themselves but Sprawlopolis/Agropolis could be good if they like mind-bending maximization puzzles. Cartographers, too - it’s not co-op but there’s very little player interaction (none if you use solo rules for enemy attacks).

Aeon's End (and it's many stand-alone expansions) is a good co-op fixed-market deckbuilder with a ton of options, but it's hardest at four players.

Jaws of the Lion might work if there's a core group that always shows up and want to work through a campaign, but it's definitely not a casual game and you'd need sessions long enough to get through a scenario with set-up and tear-down.

If there's enough kids that like group deduction, Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective could be a hit.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Jun 29, 2021

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

If your high school students are anything like mine, you'll want a ruleset you can explain easily and quickly + reasonably robust material and a fast setup/teardown. Pandemic and The Crew are good ideas imo, provided you sleeve the cards. I'm pretty sure playing Hanabi with my groups would be a complete disaster, but hopefully your students are not as uh ... energetic as mine :v:

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Countblanc posted:

it's probably very selfish of me but I would personally not recommend playing a Marvel licensed game with high schoolers. they're already smothered by Disney advertising, please don't also give them more of it during their extracurricular school time.

Kids absolutely love superhero stuff. I’ve taught kids in grade 2/3, and a ton of grade 7 and all of them loved superheroes. Sorry that you hate Disney, but my goal is to get them interested and having a game with a theme that kids love gets them in the door.

Golden Bee posted:

Deck builders might be bad for a club, because you gain a lot every single time you play them, but it requires build up and set up. Each hand involves reading a lot of new cards.

Yes for the crew, spirit island, the captain is dead or space alert.

I’m really only planning on introducing the core set and that’s it, and prebuilding the decks to begin with so it can be a simple pick up and play experience. If someone gets more interested to start playing around more and wanting to customize that will be good. Its good that there’s a lot of reading because that’s a bonus. The more they play and build up skills in working together they’re also parsing out how card interactions work.

If it flops it flops, this will be a project for school anyway. There’s been a bunch of great suggestions so I think I’ll have a wide variety of stuff available.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
When you step to a bit higher level, the co-op expac for Orleans might be worth it. I think for young people bag builder > deck builder.

Dancer fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jun 29, 2021

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
The Ginkopolis reprints are starting arrive again and I wanted to ask if it is legit one of those great games that is finally back for order again or if it's something people look back on with rose coloured glasses but has been surpassed/is no longer the top dog?

Also, love the Feast chat. We played this weekend and I took one island too many and it cost me a poo poo load of points but I still did fine for my liking at about 103 points. My early game was slow.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

So this is a thing: a P&P micro-game Gloomhaven.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/340909/gloomholdin

Breadnought
Aug 25, 2009

FulsomFrank posted:

The Ginkopolis reprints are starting arrive again and I wanted to ask if it is legit one of those great games that is finally back for order again or if it's something people look back on with rose coloured glasses but has been surpassed/is no longer the top dog?

I think it's pretty good! I bought a copy when it was reprinted because of the buzz without knowing much else about the game and I found it offers a pretty unique combination of card play, engine building, and area majority. It's also available on Boite a Jeux, and it's in alpha on Board Game Arena, so you can try before you buy.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Jedit posted:

There's so much on those cards that it hurts my brain trying to even think about this.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Jedit posted:

and yet the box is still too big :argh:

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

No table needed? You expect me to hold all these cards? With my hands?

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

The Black Stones posted:

There are also Matrix games and a game called Aftershock about managing a disaster sold through game crafter iirc.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Too Many Bones

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
If you are in the US and want a free copy of Sprawlopolis, shoot me a PM Mr teacher man

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Thanks for the offer, but I am in Canada. :)

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Ropes4u posted:

There are also Matrix games

Matrix games get missed a lot, but they're ultralight common-sense RPGs in any imaginable setting, plus they get used IRL by businesses and the military. If a teacher in my high school had done a "light" matrix game and then had us do a "serious" one once we knew how to do it, I would have been blown away.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
That Matrix game seems cool but 250$ is a steep ask as I do not have a job (this placement is part of my University course) and my parents are going to be the ones footing the bill and a bunch of mid-range/cheaper games will go down easier.

That is an awesome idea though and I will write it down for the future.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

The Black Stones posted:

That Matrix game seems cool but 250$ is a steep ask as I do not have a job (this placement is part of my University course) and my parents are going to be the ones footing the bill and a bunch of mid-range/cheaper games will go down easier.

That is an awesome idea though and I will write it down for the future.

Ok it's possible that Ropes4u and I were talking about different things, but I meant the free Matrix games, not whatever you saw.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I was looking at that game crafter website as my lead. Believe it or not, Googling “Matrix games” leads to a lot of results about games based off of a series of movies.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

The Black Stones posted:

I was looking at that game crafter website as my lead. Believe it or not, Googling “Matrix games” leads to a lot of results about games based off of a series of movies.

Sorry about that! I mean the "you need some paper, one normal die, creative thinkers, and a referee" Matrix games, originally designed by Chris Engle (adding "engle" to your searches might improve them). They can be made about literally anything, and are often used to "game" counterterrorism, counterinsurgency, international conflict, and the like, as well as business market strategy. You could run one where they have to save the dashing prince from his captivity by a dragon, and another where they are solving world hunger. Or, you know, topics that are nearer and dearer to their hearts.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Clearly the game you need is Zendo. It's competitive but also kinda group thinking.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Aramoro posted:

Clearly the game you need is Zendo. It's competitive but also kinda group thinking.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

The one with the guy laughing hysterically saying zendo was picked round one was the best though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

homullus posted:

Ok it's possible that Ropes4u and I were talking about different things, but I meant the free Matrix games, not whatever you saw.

I had never heard of these, but they sound clever as hell. That link is very succinct.