Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
They've already got my info, so I put in a quote for an 80D. Good Condition: $405, Excellent Condition $450. You'd clearly do much better if you could sell it direct to someone on Craigslist or here in Dorkroom, but it's not bad as a convenient sure-fire sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Thanks, that's surprisingly high to me but I ain't complaining.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Let’s say I was able to get a non-insane priced working Coolscan 9000 from a local friend and, like a mad person, bought it. Which scanning software is better fir? Vuescan or Silverfast? Seems like, as with most photography stuff, there are competing camps

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

vuescan sucks and the people who make it are assholes

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Let’s say I was able to get a non-insane priced working Coolscan 9000 from a local friend and, like a mad person, bought it. Which scanning software is better fir? Vuescan or Silverfast? Seems like, as with most photography stuff, there are competing camps

if you already have silverfast then use that but don't pay the fuckin 400 euros for it

nikonscan works better than vuescan too.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED
I posted this in the Discord, but figure I'd ask here as well for those who aren't there.

Rather odd question: is anyone aware of any light stands with a smaller floor footprint than most typical stands? Pretty much where they're only meant to be used with a light and smaller, light weight modifiers (i.e., reflectors and snoots)? I sometimes do background lighting ideas behind a portrait subject but trying to edit out the legs is a pain. I had considered maybe just using a mic stand that has a solid base, but was curious if there was anything out there already like this for lighting. Especially since they should also have the usual 1/4" and 3/8" mounting spigot.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
How high do you need it to go? They make little backlight stands, or you could use a baby pin wall plate on an apple box or whatever. Compact stands with reversing legs will have the legs lower if that helps — not sure it’d make a huge difference in total footprint though. Or this kind where they fan out maybe: https://www.filmtools.com/kupo-2-75-folding-base-mini-stand-double-riser.html

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Hey, been a while since I’ve owned a camera but I’m looking for something better than my iPhone 11 to take pics of my kids/everyday life.

What feels like 300 years ago I shot with Canon stuff, and sold it all and went with a Fuji x100s. I ended up selling that too a while ago due to lack of use.

I don’t have any real preferences to brand, but I did like the ‘rangefinder’ size of the Fuji. Aside from that the only other real features I want are a viewfinder and the ability to transfer photos to my phone over WiFi or Bluetooth or whatever is used nowadays.

Something that’s easy enough to just pick up and shoot but also with decent manual controls if I want to use them.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
An iPhone 11 is a pretty good general camera and does a lot of the work of editing for you. Fuji seems popular for little who want to decent JPEGs straight out of camera though.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

The problem I run into with the phone is that if I don’t get it framed correctly or I’m not close enough, zooming in on or cropping the photo immediately shows the lack of image quality. Like I’m trying to enhance some lovely security footage in CSI.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

If you liked using Fujifilm, the XS10 will probably be up your alley. There’s also the smaller and cheaper XE4 which I don’t believe has image stabilization. EVFs have gotten really good these days which both of these cameras have.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
I'm not trying to sell you on the stick with your cellphone idea, but have you tried shooting raw on your phone? I find the detail (and cropping ability) is mostly being clobbered by the noise reduction.

Fuji is a good choice but the xs10 is their dslr styled option and relatively newer, and if you aren't sure you'll keep it up you might want to buy used.

I'm not sure if any manufacturer has a perfect solution for Bluetooth/wifi transfer but depending on your workflow a sd card dongle for your phone is an option.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

You didn't mention a budget so I'd say get the x100v. It will get out of the way and produces good jpegs (so I've been told) so you won't need to waste time loving around in lightroom/photoshop

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Do you really think you’re gonna use it more this time? What kept you from using your last x100?

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

personally, there has not been a time where i wished i had used my phone instead of my point and shoot.
but there have been many times i wished i had my point and shoot when i only had my phone.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
There are definitely times when I've prioritized trying new gear, new techniques, etc and feel in hindsight that cellphone pictures documenting whatever we were out doing that day would have been better than what I did shoot. And getting your gear out and shooting is definitely annoys other people in a way cellphones don't.

But if you're looking to get back into photography it isn't a very exciting option and you should probably pick something exciting.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

I have a Fuji X100V and XF10 and both of them can firmly fit into the "everyday camera better than a cell phone and smaller than a DSLR" camp if you don't care about zoom. 24mp APS-C sensors in both so they take way better photos than a cell phone will and I enjoy using both of them.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

The problem I run into with the phone is that if I don’t get it framed correctly or I’m not close enough, zooming in on or cropping the photo immediately shows the lack of image quality. Like I’m trying to enhance some lovely security footage in CSI.

Buy whatever 24MP fuji x series w/ interchangeable lenses fits ur budget (look for used ones). Then get a standard range zoom, whatever fits your budget. It will take good pictures of your family with lots of megapixels and a decent range of optical zoom.

It’s not gonna be rangefinder-ish like the x100 series but it will do much better than the iphone 11 when you can be bothered to bring it along.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Aside from that the only other real features I want are a viewfinder and the ability to transfer photos to my phone over WiFi or Bluetooth or whatever is used nowadays.

Something that’s easy enough to just pick up and shoot but also with decent manual controls if I want to use them.

Fuji X-T30 (or a used/cheap X-T20) sounds right up your alley.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The X-T20 uses legacy micro usb charger though

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

powderific posted:

Do you really think you’re gonna use it more this time? What kept you from using your last x100?

I wasn’t married, didn’t have kids, etc. Now I just want something better than my phone, as others have said. Budget is whatever, obviously I don’t need to drop a few grand on something I’m using as a hobby so I’m fine going with a slightly older revision of whatever is current, or something used/refurb.

I’ll take a look at the models suggested above.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Hadlock posted:

The X-T20 uses legacy micro usb charger though

Eh, still a cable that can plug into a USB power brick. The X-T30 has USB-C and is otherwise newer, I’d only recommend the older one if budget is a major concern.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I’d say the X100 isn’t the best kid camera because you have to get pretty close, something with a zoom might work better. I love my X100 but 35mm equivalent is an awkward focal length for people shots in my experience. Maybe the Panasonic LX100?

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

What is the camera system with the best WiFi interface? It definitely can’t be Fuji…

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I can't get my Fuji to send more than a handful of photos before losing the connection, even after the firmware update

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Yeah mine sucks at it too. I use the lightning to SD card adapter, which works great.

edit: I'll add that the adapter dongle is far less fiddly than any wifi transfer systems I've used, all of which were fiddly even if they worked 100% correctly.

Dren fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jun 28, 2021

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I have no basis for comparison as I've only ever used Canon but the Canon one doesn't completely piss me off. The pairing is kind of annoying because Canon tries to hide it behind an auto-connect feature but once it's running it's reliable. After a day of vacation shooting I'll hook it up to the wife's ipad and I tell her to star any images she likes and wants copies of. Or she can download them herself but I grump at her for uploading unedited images and not respecting my ~*art*~.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Panasonic does okay for me, I like the live view and settings adjust on-phone

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Do you guys have any favorite shoulder bags? (Or maybe inserts?) Small SLR, one or two extra lenses. I've got a backpack that I love for general travel, but it sucks pretty hard for hot swapping cameras and lenses. Bonus points for not looking like a camera bag.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

I’ve liked my Peak Design sling bag. They make a few different sizes so you can get one that fits your needs.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

dupersaurus posted:

Do you guys have any favorite shoulder bags? (Or maybe inserts?) Small SLR, one or two extra lenses. I've got a backpack that I love for general travel, but it sucks pretty hard for hot swapping cameras and lenses. Bonus points for not looking like a camera bag.

I'm a recent convert to Domke bags, specifically the F-3X. You could probably do with something a little smaller like the F-8 or F-10. They are admittedly kind of nerdy looking, but are super-functional. I was recently looking for a bag and made this little page that lets you put in the size of your camera and then recommends bags that will fit. Maybe it's useful for you: https://www.camerabagdatabase.com/

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

mes posted:

I’ve liked my Peak Design sling bag. They make a few different sizes so you can get one that fits your needs.

Oh cool that’s kinda what I was imagining. Do I see a strap on the slide for their clip thing?

frogbs posted:

I'm a recent convert to Domke bags, specifically the F-3X. You could probably do with something a little smaller like the F-8 or F-10. They are admittedly kind of nerdy looking, but are super-functional. I was recently looking for a bag and made this little page that lets you put in the size of your camera and then recommends bags that will fit. Maybe it's useful for you: https://www.camerabagdatabase.com/

That’s a cool site, I’ll check it out. I was eyeing some Domkes on BH, I like the canvas aesthetic.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

dupersaurus posted:

Oh cool that’s kinda what I was imagining. Do I see a strap on the slide for their clip thing?

That’s a cool site, I’ll check it out. I was eyeing some Domkes on BH, I like the canvas aesthetic.

Nice! They offer a lot of their bags in waxed canvas too, if that's your thing. Look for any marked as 'Ruggedwear'. Domke's marketing and model names are kind of confusing, but the bags are still solid!

mes
Apr 28, 2006

dupersaurus posted:

They definitely have one on the older version on the bag (which I have). I’m not too sure on the details of the newer bag. I actually used it before, it works fine but makes the bag feel lopsided.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
What strategies do y'all use for handling your photo catalogs and backups?

As far as organization: One catalog per roll or per "event"? That probably makes sense for a well-defined "event" (eg if you shoot a wedding, that is one event) but it does make it kinda clunky to see everything, like if you wanted to go back and find a particular photo and still had it locally but you didn't know which catalog it was in, that could be a problem, and file names may not necessarily be descriptive.

How aggressively do you prune? Like it probably makes sense to delete the outright trashed photos where you moved the camera or missed focus, but do you go further than that? I often end up taking a couple snaps of the same photo, I'm thinking maybe I should mark the other two with a lower star rating or a specific tag, but once you're ready to push them off to backup then do you include them or no? The data hoarder in me says "keep them just in case" but when you're paying for storage by the month it probably doesn't make sense to keep "near-identical" variants that you ended up not using (and I am working to take fewer of these anyway since the choice paralysis makes editing a very unpleasant activity for me... I really do not enjoy pixel-peeping to try and decide the best of 5 nearly-identical shots)

Maybe also maintain a "best of" catalog that includes only your five star photos that you'd definitely like to keep on hand? Or do you just keep the exports?

I guess a related question is whether there's any way to maintain a "catalog of catalogs" in lightroom. Like a catalog is obviously a convenient unit for organization, my instinct would be to use one catalog per "event", but then you can't really work across them very easily. Or do you just give up on the concept of catalogs, have one catalog for everything, use tags and ratings to manage "events" and other things, and use sidecar XMP files to track file changes, then organize and manage the files directly?

I guess talking it through it seems like this makes more sense because the catalog then becomes purely ancillary as far as backups/etc, it only will matter during the time you're directly working on the file, and you can have the file in multiple catalogs/etc if you really want. But it potentially does make a few things a little harder, like if you want to do selective backups ("only back up the 3/4/5-star photos for this wedding") you'd have to either do an export to get that set of photos, or have a utility that reads the metadata and then marks the file for upload (perhaps marking the "archive" file attribute, or generating a list that you feed to rclone).

From there I think it should be pretty straightforward to blow it off to Backblaze B2 with rclone - B2 basically looks like an S3 storage bucket and rclone works like rsync but for cloud storage services, it handles uploading and integrity checking and so on. I know there's some "unlimited" options like abusing google drive and so on but at least if you're paying by the gig the relationship is well-defined and you're not going to get any unpleasant surprises. A half cent a gig a month is fine if you're prudent with what you upload, imo.

What's the deal with Lightroom these days? Is it still pretty much the default choice or have the alternatives matured? If I seek out a copy of the actual Lightroom 6, am I missing a whole lot in terms of features/etc vs the subscription version? Does it continue to get updates for the RAW converter and so on? (not being able to support newer cameras would suck pretty bad) Not sure if this is one of the things where most people just suck it up and pay it, have found a better option, or whether it's viable to keep using the old version.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

As far as my cataloguing goes I import folders into LR that are defined by camera then roll with a number and name. 35mm and 120 are numbered independently but are just ever increasing, each negative sheet is numbered with the start frame and roll name.

From there in LR I'll flag picks and rejects, then picks get catalogued into themes or projects. Folders in LR Classic are separated from catalogues and one photo can belong to any number of catalogues.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I did one catalog per year for a while and got annoyed by it, searching for photos gets too slow because LR forces a restart to switch catalogs. So I merged it all back into a single catalog.. about 27k raw files since 2010. LR doesn't seem to get slower with more images (so I guess being slow is its default configuration) and I make sure to back up the catalog regularly. It's been fine. I do make sure to tag all my images when importing, it makes searching for stuff a lot faster. I think the only point I'd go back to more than one catalog is if I was running a business, I'd want to keep personal and commercial stuff separate. But it's moot because I will never, ever make money off any pictures I take.

All my images get imported to a NAS drive which is later backed up to amazon glacier. I let LR do all the organization, which organizes into annual folders with YYYY-MM-DD folders inside.

There are definitely other editors out there but I don't think any of them manage files better than LR.. you basically point them at a folder on your hard drive and they leave the asset management up to you.

As for deleting files, I will purge any technical failures straight away. Everything else gets kept though I have done a few cleanup passes on bored weekends to filter out poo poo that was borderline out of focus and at the time I was hopeful I could make them work.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
One catalogue. Everything goes in it. Half-arsed pruning. Token keywording once in a blue moon. Photos from 2013 that I've still never properly gone through

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

One catalog, images are imported from folders - separate folders for digital/film, but then they all follow basically the same naming structure.

Film scans are saved in a month folder. They're auto named by the software with the date and the frame number:
/202107/2021-07-06 01.tif

On each negative sheet I write down the range of frame names that are in the sheet:
2021-07-06 01-07

As I edit and go over images I also tag them. If your tagging game is strong you can create smart collections out of the tags which makes it super easy.

bobmarleysghost fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jul 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

bobmarleysghost posted:

As I edit and go over images I also tag them. If your tagging game is strong you can create smart collections out of the tags which makes it super easy.

Also your star rating game. Smart Collections are one of LR's best features and building searches of tags/ratings is a great way to review your history.