Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Ezis posted:

When I first read that issue I didn’t realize scarface sinister was a different sinister so I just thought nanny really messed him up

This is a better story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
People complained about last week's Way of X being overstuffed, but holy hell you can tell X-Factor ended way sooner than it was intended to this week

and also apparently eyeboy can do magic now

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

OnimaruXLR posted:

Considering how rushed this issue was, this development out of nowhere should have been discarded. It will likely not be followed up by any other writer and it just made the finale already more messy with what little room was available.

But other than that, good issue and I'll miss this creative team and characters. It was bad form to cancel this title just because it didn't sell as well as, say, Excalibur.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I will miss X-Factor for sure. Everyone was great, I didn't know I needed Eyeboy in my life that badly.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Kinda loving blows rear end that they cancelled The Queer X-Men Book during pride month but at least it ruled real hard while it lasted :sigh:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
never gonna get that Rockslide follow-up am I

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Blockhouse posted:

never gonna get that Rockslide follow-up am I

I sorta think there's a plan for him.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Cable was good for two reasons, and it's Cable and Deadpool

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gologle posted:

Everyone was good in Cable, especially Magik

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Saoshyant posted:

Considering how rushed this issue was, this development out of nowhere should have been discarded. It will likely not be followed up by any other writer and it just made the finale already more messy with what little room was available.

Leah is presumably writing the X-Factor characters in Trial of Magneto

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Cartridgeblowers posted:

Leah is presumably writing the X-Factor characters in Trial of Magneto

yeah, this is explicitly called out in her letter at the end of the book, it's the exact same creative team

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Kinda loving blows rear end that they cancelled The Queer X-Men Book during pride month but at least it ruled real hard while it lasted :sigh:

Is there a... non-queer X-book? I guess Wolverine???

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, nothing about queer about Wolverine, who lives with his girlfriend and her husband.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Gologle posted:

I'm looking forward to the Summers Family War where everyone gets to clown on Stryfe. Though they forgot Alex and Vulcan.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Endless Mike posted:

I mean it featured the most out and proud cast and made up a good chunk of the Pride issue.

Versus say, X-Force or the new X-Men lineup or Cable or Wolverine, where, yeah. The most you have are coy hints about maybe there’s a polycule.

And then you have Way of X actively sabotaging a queer relationship despite what I hope are good intentions.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Wow yeah people weren't kidding about how completely rushed X-Factor felt.

I'd honestly rather Williams had just tabled this whole Prodigy plotline for another run somewhere years down the line if the alternative was to half-rear end it like this. It also felt...like...weirdly self-congratulatory for doing...nothing? "Diversity win! We've taken down the straw-serial-killer we just introduced!" Good job?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Abroham Lincoln posted:

I mean it featured the most out and proud cast and made up a good chunk of the Pride issue.

Versus say, X-Force or the new X-Men lineup or Cable or Wolverine, where, yeah. The most you have are coy hints about maybe there’s a polycule.

And then you have Way of X actively sabotaging a queer relationship despite what I hope are good intentions.

legion usually has good intentions but is hampered by how he is kind of an rear end in a top hat who uses people as pawns.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

OnimaruXLR posted:

People complained about last week's Way of X being overstuffed, but holy hell you can tell X-Factor ended way sooner than it was intended to this week

Rick posted:

I will miss X-Factor for sure. Everyone was great, I didn't know I needed Eyeboy in my life that badly.

Eyeboy can apparently do, uh, anything. I'm OK with this.

radlum
May 13, 2013

BrianWilly posted:

Wow yeah people weren't kidding about how completely rushed X-Factor felt.

I'd honestly rather Williams had just tabled this whole Prodigy plotline for another run somewhere years down the line if the alternative was to half-rear end it like this. It also felt...like...weirdly self-congratulatory for doing...nothing? "Diversity win! We've taken down the straw-serial-killer we just introduced!" Good job?

Yeah; it felt very rushed (and the various non-Baldeon artists were pretty bad). I saw some outrage about the whole Prodigy thing online and I kind of get it, though I do wonder if the plot had more time to develop, then maybe it would have felt less self-congratulatory/unfocused on Prodigy's own perspective.

Overall, I liked X-Factor a lot and I'm sad to see it go in such a rushed way.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Skwirl posted:

I sorta think there's a plan for him.

I'd love to believe that at this point but I can't

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
https://twitter.com/ClaremontRun/status/1410561116263047169

!!!

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

X-factor ticked me off so much I couldn't finish it I mean having a man dressed as a literal fairy with wings. Completely hosed up.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Apparently X-Factor is getting Williams death threats for being anti-black.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Who's Bernie?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Skwirl posted:

Who's Bernie?

Listen, there weren't enough X-characters so they had to create some for the movie, okay?

(I didn't know who Yoshi was but there's an explainer in the replies and... yikes.)

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Dawgstar posted:

yikes!

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

I hate that this happens to "any prominent woman creating a thing" whereas like, dude creators can write hugely problematic stories and are much more rarely sent murder threats about it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Android Blues posted:

I hate that this happens to "any prominent woman creating a thing" whereas like, dude creators can write hugely problematic stories and are much more rarely sent murder threats about it.
Dang it's almost like it has nothing to do with the content they're making.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Android Blues posted:

I mean, you could start to make up for this by throwing threats at Si Spurrier...

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Android Blues posted:

Yeah. The problem with Twitter is of course there's no way to tell who's genuinely upset and who's just dragging Williams for points.

People were apparently mad about X-Tremists, too?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
to be fair, x-tremists had some very upsetting stuff going on. beloved characters turned into vicious secret police! gay erasure! so naturally, the only thing anyone got vocally mad about was blob and betsy.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I saw all that blowing up at the same time as I saw a lot of Isabel Fall stuff blowing up and I don't know, I think this current vogue of engaging with a text exclusively through the lens of moral or ethical rectitude is just an excuse to turn the screws on creators in a profoundly unhealthy way.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

How Wonderful! posted:

I saw all that blowing up at the same time as I saw a lot of Isabel Fall stuff blowing up and I don't know, I think this current vogue of engaging with a text exclusively through the lens of moral or ethical rectitude is just an excuse to turn the screws on creators in a profoundly unhealthy way.

It seems almost impossible to have decent conversations about these kinds of issues in a "public" forum like, say, Twitter, where there is no presumption that people already know and trust each other. Was the X-Factor issue beyond reproach? Of course not. Are there things to talk about how it could have been done better? Of course. Is there anything even remotely in the right galaxy, let alone ballpark, to justify sending death threats to Leah Williams? gently caress no. I completely agree with you and not sure what to do about it. There is a very potent mix of justified anger and wild lashing out in the "woke" parts of fan culture. It's depressing but at the same time I don't want the 2000's era casual "apolitical" bigotry back, either. I just don't know how to contribute to producing a healthier public discourse.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

How Wonderful! posted:

Agreed. There's a lot to be said for critical readings but when they're distilled down into the acidic version of themselves that fits into social media formats and sharing practises, the criticality can start to precede (and, for second parties, preclude!) the reading.

I also think there's an ever-present subtext of people taking the opportunity to get their kicks in on a (usually marginalised) creator who's engaging with risky or complicated topics. People maybe raise an eyebrow when a new book by Garth Ennis has a scene where Dogwelder wrestles with gay thoughts or whatever, but there is almost never the same vitriol.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I thought the scene was pretty bad, but mostly in a slapdash "uh...what?" kind of way. I caught up on some of the Twitter responses and to be honest I'm still not completely sure how, precisely, this crosses the line from merely inept and tacky to being outright offensive. I guess the exploitative nature of the story didn't even occur to me at the time 'cuz, well, David is currently fine and rezzed and the whole event barely even affected anything.

Which, on the other hand, might also be part of why people are angry? That something so meaningful felt so meaningless? It's hard to tell. Twitter threads are some of the worst places to try to comprehend someone's points.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

nemesis_hub posted:

There is a very potent mix of justified anger and wild lashing out in the "woke" parts of fan culture. It's depressing but at the same time I don't want the 2000's era casual "apolitical" bigotry back, either. I just don't know how to contribute to producing a healthier public discourse.

It's just Twitter. There are things that microblogging is good for, but discussing any kind of nuanced take is not one of them, and it's infected a lot more of general discourse than just this. It's basically sound bites vs. sound bites, and the best thing for the public square would be to wholly avoid its use.

It also took me maybe a minute of looking before I saw at least one guy who's deliberately trying to stir this up as a culture war hotspot.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

I thought the scene was pretty bad, but mostly in a slapdash "uh...what?" kind of way. I caught up on some of the Twitter responses and to be honest I'm still not completely sure how, precisely, this crosses the line from merely inept and tacky to being outright offensive. I guess the exploitative nature of the story didn't even occur to me at the time 'cuz, well, David is currently fine and rezzed and the whole event barely even affected anything.

Which, on the other hand, might also be part of why people are angry? That something so meaningful felt so meaningless? It's hard to tell. Twitter threads are some of the worst places to try to comprehend someone's points.

yeah, i was expecting something interesting about krakoan resurrection. what we got instead didn't actually make any sense. i thought prodigy died prior to krakoa's founding, but actually he knew all along that he would be resurrected and decided to be a massive pain in the rear end to his future self for no reason? "if you would solve (your own murder by a serial killer), first you must answer these these riddles three!"

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

(incoming rant about Marvel's crossover tactics)

The six series I currently collect are X-Men, Marauders, Excalibur, New Mutants, S.W.O.R.D., and Way of X. Plus some of the side stuff like Legends, Giant Size, Planet Size, etc.

They don't make it easy at Marvel and DC. X-Men is the area that has seemed most well done at Marvel to me since Dawn of X, but they still do their same ol' annoying greedy stuff. We just had X of Swords, with it's crazy include every comic gigantic reading order. Why do we have another one so soon? I mean, I'm already following 6 freakin' titles, plus the spin-offs. What in god's name do they want from us?

Back in the day they would tell a crossover across maybe 3 or 4 books. What is this madness that they need to hit every single book in a line? And do it again and again? They're just gonna burn readers, or shoo away semi-hardcore readers who read half the line. They've already lost any reader who doesn't want to look at a graph and a couple wikis and articles every few months. Creatively it doesn't seem like it's a great thing either. Books have their own stories, and they get sidetracked to do some vague thing that doesn't really need to be done across every book.

With Dawn of X it seemed creatively finally they're putting X-Men in a better place. Handling it a little more artistically, a little more story focused with a vision. But it's surrounded with the same ol' strategic marketing crap that has made Marvel largely unreadable for the better part of the past decade or two. When Gillen and Aaron's runs got interrupted for Fear Itself and AvX etc, it felt pretty lame for the story 10 years ago. That looked like a freakin' cakewalk compared to the bullshit they're pulling right now. Back then the event was AvX for example, it had it's own mini-series mainly, and the top two X-Men books had tie-ins that were sometimes mildly worthwhile. But you could ignore a lot of it.

Now they're specifically mapping out with a graph that they want you to hit on every single issue of the line, and that is more issues than ever. It's madness, it's a horror show. At least the graph in the Mutant Massacre TPB is quaint and involves only a few titles. Please just have some restraint, or at least some integrity, you goddamn asshats Marvel. Marvel is never going to learn, and it is appalling.

While the old way of having a limited series be the main thing in the crossover still resulted in annoying tie-ins across the line, what we have now is even worse. Since then you knew the mini-series was the most important part, and tie-ins in titles that you didn't want to buy you could get away with skipping. Now you need a bunch of research to see if the thing is comprehensible if you skip some, and which you can skip.

(/end rant)

Which brings me to the non-ramble part of my post here. And I know Hellions and Cable etc are fan favs here, I respect that. Just either way, there's gotta be a limit on how many X-Men titles a reader is expected to check out. Uh oh I'm rambling again.

So, I already have been collecting X-Men, Marauders, Excalibur, New Mutants, S.W.O.R.D., and Way of X. 6 monthly books, plus Planet Size. I could add say 2 more to that list for reading the Hellfire Gala if I have to. But only if it's really needed for say key Cyclops and Jean moments, and overall important story continuity for the titles I follow. Could you X-fans concoct an abridged Gala read-order out of this? I know the red ones are supposed to be more important.

With those 7 titles covered, I'd be missing Ch 2: X-Force, Ch 3: Hellions, Ch 6: Children of the Atom, Ch 9: X-Corp, Ch 10: Wolverine, Ch 13: X-Factor, and Ch 14: Cable.

Assuming that read-order pic is still accurate. My head is already exploding by the way, Fist of the North Star style. Also I took a peak at the preview of Cable #11, and I get the feeling it's more a wrap-up to a series I'm not reading than a wrap-up to the Hellfire Gala. Anyways, I'm appalled by this. There are rules, and X of Swords, much like jury duty, means we should be free for a while. For jury duty it's 3 years in my area, you are free for three years. Why are we not free for 3 years after our last giant thing with a graph covering every title. Oh I'm rambling again.

(rant resumes here)

How about that all-new Trial of Magneto series, you've gotta be joking. Here's an idea, Magneto being on trial can be covered in the X-Men book, like it has been before, among other plots. You can cover several things in one issue or series by being less ridiculously decompressed and exposition-y. And it doesn't feel like there's a vision when characters and writers are interchangeable and it's all passed around like this. I'm gonna say it, I don't believe in the artistic vision of this corporate entity right now. House of X was just going on two years ago. Look at the trail of destruction and chaos they've left as a read-order. An indie book just has Title #1-24, TPB #1-4, pretty appealing. I'd even accept a happy medium, say 4 X-books a month or something. 5 on special occasions.

Inferno #1... ok, sure. Why? Can't Hickman just tell any X-story he wants under one banner? Why the gimmickry and musical chairs? That silly #1 bump they demand every 2 years at the longest, it is just so nutty.

Don't get me started on X-Men having a new #1 again. I'm gonna faint. How about Duggan tells any X-story he wants in his book. Hickman tells any X-story he wants in his book. They both last 100 issues, and only crossover when really inspired to, maybe once or twice a year. And the other titles sink or swim on their own merit, very occasional crossovers. Just make some stuff that seems friendly to read, and not a corporate nightmare. I'm posting this here since if I sent it to Marvel they'd have me assassinated, I'm a whistleblower.

One more complaint for the road. The new X-Men #1 team has Rogue but not Gambit? It's like these are a bunch of action figures they throw around in the office. And the preview is a bunch of generic action naturally. Relationships, characters, stuff like that, could be good too.

(/end rants - send Sentinels)

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Jul 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't think Hellfire Gala is really intended as a crossover at all. Like, there's an order you should read the books you choose to read in, but you don't have to read them all. You'll note it very specifically does NOT include chapter or part numbers, which X of Swords did on its reading order. They're certainly not written particularly chronologically (there's a scene in X-Factor #10 that also happens in Excalibur #21 that came out weeks earlier before the big event). Read the red books and the ones you want and you'll get the important parts plus the bits with characters you're interested in reading.

Now, you could make a totally valid argument that the Hellfire Gala is interrupting the stories of some of these books to tell one-off, character-driven stories involving the characters, but most of the books seem to have managed that well enough. (X-Factor, as people have noted, felt very rushed, but that was less due to the Gala and more due to cancelling the series.)