Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Country can be really really good but it can also be really really poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's amazing the number of right wing/boomer/blue lives matter memes that photo ended up part of given the original context of the photo.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Country can be really really good but it can also be really really poo poo.

And how is that different from literally every other genre of music (and other form of artistic endeavour) in the history of mankind?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's sort of like rap in some ways, sometimes you get rich people singing about all the poo poo they own and their terrible opinions, sometimes you get poor people singing about actually meaningful stuff and also that they are drunk and hosed and angry and everything is poo poo.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

And how is that different from literally every other genre of music (and other form of artistic endeavour) in the history of mankind?

It's not! That wasn't meant to be a criticism, I like it as a sound and as I said, there's definitely some very good and meaningful music in the genre.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

It's amazing the number of right wing/boomer/blue lives matter memes that photo ended up part of given the original context of the photo.

Yeah for the most part even the dumbest right wingers have recognised Cash as Not For Them, mainly because he never was one for irony or subtlety - Man In Black really, really doesn't give them a Born In The USA hook to misunderstand.

(Those who aren't in the deepest of denial will also recognise in his Christianity the exact polar opposite of their megachurch massage pews bullshit, too)

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

OwlFancier posted:

I would say the problem there is with the other people

This is not an option I am willing to entertain.

Also sorry for not replying to all the cool music recommends, will defo be having a look into them over the next day or so!

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I really struggle with lyrics, sometimes my mind just latches onto them and they distract me from the rest of the song. So i tend to go for ambient/instrumental post-rock stuff (Mogwai seems to be a goon fave, Helios, Tycho), stuff that's in a different language (Sigur Ros) or pretentious poo poo that's borderline incomprehensible (Everything Everything)

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Guavanaut posted:

I worked on a documentary about Jim Marshall. It’s a decent if not great film with a huge amount of extraordinary photographs, many of which you’ll recognise without knowing who took them. It’s worth watching just for that.

https://www.justwatch.com/uk/movie/show-me-the-picture-the-story-of-jim-marshall

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
X-posting myself from USPOL on this blessed day

HELL loving YEAH MY DUDES

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0omgYNxZseA

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I am currently listening to a Russian band that usually sings in Finnish. Apparently because understands Finnish so they can use their vocals as an instrument without distracting with lyrics.

(KAUAN, very melancholy music)

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Just to expand, because it's probably not well-known outside of his fans (and you'll see why it really doesn't get a lot of airplay) Man In Black was his signature song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dY8_vZXo8oY

quote:

Well, you wonder why I always dress in black
Why you never see bright colors on my back
And why does my appearance seem to have a somber tone
Well, there's a reason for the things that I have on

I wear the black for the poor and the beaten down
Living in the hopeless, hungry side of town
I wear it for the prisoner who has long paid for his crime
But is there because he's a victim of the time

I wear the black for those who've never read
Or listened to the words that Jesus said
About the road to happiness through love and charity
Why, you'd think He's talking straight to you and me

Well, we're doing mighty fine, I do suppose
In our streak of lightning cars and fancy clothes
But just so we're reminded of the ones who are held back
Up front there ought to be a man in black

I wear it for the sick and lonely old
For the reckless ones whose bad trip left them cold
I wear the black in mourning for the lives that could have been
Each week we lose a hundred fine young men

And I wear it for the thousands who have died
Believing that the Lord was on their side
I wear it for another hundred thousand who have died
Believing that we all were on their side

Well, there's things that never will be right I know
And things need changing everywhere you go
But 'til we start to make a move to make a few things right
You'll never see me wear a suit of white

Ah, I'd love to wear a rainbow every day
And tell the world that everything's okay
But I'll try to carry off a little darkness on my back
Until things are brighter, I'm the Man In Black

It might be the biggest gently caress you in the history of music, spitting directly in the face of mainstream Country music, the Vietnam War, the War on Drugs, most of what passes for Christianity in America, and really deserves to be right up there in the pantheon of protest songs.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I really struggle with lyrics, sometimes my mind just latches onto them and they distract me from the rest of the song. So i tend to go for ambient/instrumental post-rock stuff (Mogwai seems to be a goon fave, Helios, Tycho), stuff that's in a different language (Sigur Ros) or pretentious poo poo that's borderline incomprehensible (Everything Everything)

See, I have the opposite problem. My brain basically doesn't process lyrics as language, but rather as convenient-shaped sounds to go with/be the music. All music pretty much sounds like this to me

https://www.facebook.com/choirx3/videos/1497401513790707/

(Sorry for facebook link, couldn't find it anywhere else)

This links up with the possibility for mockery, from people who judge a band's lyrics, and I just go "lyrics :confused::confused::confused:"

fuctifino I've seen you express similar sentiments on bring fixated on the technical aspects of the music above all else. Makes music super awesome, but I'm definitely not listening for the lovely word poetry or the verbal message (if any).

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Just Another Lurker posted:

My music tastes range from Midnight Oil ('Beds Are Burning' is NOT their only loving song ffs!!!) to Dave Brubeck.

But country & western music should be wiped from the racial memory of humanity or restricted to the USA (the Irish version is particularly horrid, i was subjected to a whole night of Hugo Duncan when i was working in the hotel kitchen decades ago). :commissar:

Aww, but country comes from an absolutely fascinating blend of cultural influences (Celtic, African, Latino, Native American, Eastern European...) and has a really rich, interesting past and present despite so much of the spotlight being monopolised by rich, far-right wastes of space. Definitely a genre worth serious exploration with knowledgeable people even if the most mainstream, heavily-marketed stuff is almost guaranteed to be dreck.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Its a shame hell isnt real because Runsfeld should be there.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

keep punching joe posted:

Its a shame hell isnt real because Runsfeld should be there.

That's why I love the song I posted, it proposes a possible suitable punishment for ole Rummy, which sadly he never saw in his life because world is a gently caress. I'll raise a glass to all of his extant acolytes getting theirs though

E: to whit:

quote:

But how can one man ever repay a debt so appalling? Can’t gouge 10,000 eyes from a single head so I think we should observe a sentence that will serve to satisfy both a sense of function and poetry: so you will spend the rest of your days drenched in sweat, with your face drawn in a rictus of terror as you remove another buried land mine fuse. Meanwhile, 100 yards back behind the sandbags, a legless foreman pulls the trigger on a red megaphone. Squelching feedback. Drunken laughter. Broken English. His dead daughter’s picture. Time and tide, no one can anticipate the inevitable waves of change.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Battle hymn of the republic being a anti-slavery civil war song and not about the republicans goes wooooooooooosh over maga heads as well.

Like what the gently caress did they think “Let the hero, born of woman, crush the serpent with his heel“ meant?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Hope it loving hurt and that everyone who attends his funeral gets a new strain of Covid that only affects rich war criminals.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

I hope his face is suitably twisted in a rictus of terror as he removes another buried landmine fuse! Failed Imagineer my mind went to that song immediately when I heard.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

keep punching joe posted:

What was the name of that show that used to be on Channel 4 at like 3am on a Saturday and would be a bunch of ambient stuff like Aphex Twin/BoC etc set to slowed down footage of explosions and timelapsed clouds?

Most likely The Trip which is partially up on YouTube

(some of) Series 1 in amongst this guys videos: https://www.youtube.com/c/HerrFOAD/search?query=the%20trip
Series 2 as a playlist in bits: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLC89E185B02203F73

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
It's a good enough idea that I'm certain I've just stolen it from somewhere but I always felt, if there was an afterlife, you could save a lot of effort in sorting out rewards and punishments by just making people relive the effects of their lives on others through the eyes of those others. A good person who did good things will experience only good things in the afterlife, someone who was just a bit meh will have a purgatory of sorts...

...and Donald loving Rumsfeld will die half a million deaths from violence, disease and starvation. He'll live 10 million lives of depravation, fear, filth and howling despair, watching everything he's ever known torn apart around him over and over and over again. He will be blown up, shot, stabbed, raped and tortured, feel the gnawing pain of starvation, the agony of a simple cut turning gangrenous, and watch the light go out in the eyes of his loved ones more times than any human can count and he still won't be half done.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

therattle posted:

I worked on a documentary about Jim Marshall. It’s a decent if not great film with a huge amount of extraordinary photographs, many of which you’ll recognise without knowing who took them. It’s worth watching just for that.

https://www.justwatch.com/uk/movie/show-me-the-picture-the-story-of-jim-marshall
Interesting, thanks! I'll give that a watch.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Just to expand, because it's probably not well-known outside of his fans (and you'll see why it really doesn't get a lot of airplay) Man In Black was his signature song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dY8_vZXo8oY

It might be the biggest gently caress you in the history of music, spitting directly in the face of mainstream Country music, the Vietnam War, the War on Drugs, most of what passes for Christianity in America, and really deserves to be right up there in the pantheon of protest songs.
It really is a great song. There's a few folks in Outlaw country that take solid swings at one or more of those things, the ones who realized that the role of outlaw isn't one who thinks it's cool as hell to go around robbing and shooting people but someone with nowhere else to go but there or some kind of hosed up past. Willie Nelson and Townes Van Zandt got that I think. Willie probably because of being closely aware of Van Zandt's chaotic life, but also from recognizing the War on Drugs as bullshit to fill prisons right from the start.

Cash's songs about Native American rights are also some of the most 'here's a list of what you did to them, also gently caress you' of their time, but again not much radio play for some reason.

Of course for any of those there's a dozen artists who jumped in just thinking it was a badass image to have, but that's the case for most subgenres.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's a good enough idea that I'm certain I've just stolen it from somewhere but I always felt, if there was an afterlife, you could save a lot of effort in sorting out rewards and punishments by just making people relive the effects of their lives on others through the eyes of those others.
That was supposed to be the idea behind reincarnation in some of the Dharmic traditions, you loop around through everyone sooner or later so don't be a dick to them because eventually they'll be you.

Usually lost out to the "and that's why everyone is in their place and me being absolute ruler is fine because you might be me one day if you follow the rules" ones in practice.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
DONNY DONNY DONNY, DEAD DEAD DEAD

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Hell, "Do Unto Others" is meant to be one of the core tenets of Christianity.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Well, that’s more about letting go of anger and allowing god, a known and proven vengeful god, to gently caress the bad people’s poo poo up after death. That way you yourself don’t have negative thoughts that could lead you into hell yourself.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I'll never let go of my hate so that I may too be sent to hell to punt kick Rumsfeld so hard he passes heaven before crashing back down to my waiting boots.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

A friend from uni just posted this photo of himself on Facebook:

Nothing else much to say besides that it's neat. Well that and that he's an elected politician in Georgia I guess.

e: Georgia the country, not Georgia the state.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jun 30, 2021

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

X-posting myself from USPOL on this blessed day

HELL loving YEAH MY DUDES

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0omgYNxZseA

This is as good an excuse as any to share my :3: Propagandhi story: I sent them fan (e)mail in 2001, sometime after Today’s Empires, Tomorrow’s Ashes came out. Didn’t hear back from them, oh well.

Then, a decade later in 2011, I receive a response from Chris Hannah, apologising that he’s only getting through his emails now, saying he’s glad I liked the album, it was a pain to record, listing some bands he’s been listening to, thanking me for taking the time to write.

Another ten years later, still one of my favourite bands. Will put on Potemkin City Limits tonight!

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Galloway obliterated the BBC "journalist".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwIuA2kh3eE

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Halisnacks posted:

This is as good an excuse as any to share my :3: Propagandhi story: I sent them fan (e)mail in 2001, sometime after Today’s Empires, Tomorrow’s Ashes came out. Didn’t hear back from them, oh well.

Then, a decade later in 2011, I receive a response from Chris Hannah, apologising that he’s only getting through his emails now, saying he’s glad I liked the album, it was a pain to record, listing some bands he’s been listening to, thanking me for taking the time to write.

Another ten years later, still one of my favourite bands. Will put on Potemkin City Limits tonight!

Amazing, eh's a cool guy

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Halisnacks posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ytdpfd4D96U

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
That George Galloway interview :bang:

You do not, under any circumstances, "gotta hand it to him".

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Halisnacks posted:

Will put on Potemkin City Limits tonight!

Oh that's why the onsind song is called that lmao.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

Oh that's why the onsind song is called that lmao.

I guess, although the original title is a riff on Tina Turners Nutbush City Limits

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Bad country music is probably worse than bad [other genre] music, but great country music is great.
He's not everyone's cup of tea, but most of Gram Parsons' output is wonderful.

Even the story surrounding his death is fantastic narrative (although the documentary about Gram I saw had an interview with his half-sister, which was a bit :smith: )

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013
Advice time goons.

I work at a day centre for elderly people attached to a larger residential home, all currently council run. The day centre was closed during lockdown during which time we worked in the residential part of the building. The day centre re-opened this spring at a reduced capacity. At about the same time the, council thanked us for our hard work during the pandemic by announcing they were now going to sell the home to a private company (if they can find one interested.) Since then we've all been considering what our rights will be under TUPE regulations once the new provider takes over.

Until this afternoon that is, when we had a zoom meeting with some of the council representatives. Which we were only told about this morning, so was poorly attended. And attended by a union rep whom none of us know from a union none of us belong to, but I digress....

We all thought that TUPE would prevent the new providers from altering our contracts for a year, that it would protect the status of the day centre and should it eventually be closed (it loses money so almost certainly will be) we would transfer to residential. Nope. Turns out, because we are contracted as day centre employees, that should the new provider indicate they wish to close the day centre during the transfer process that we can then be given a months notice and made redundant. This could all happen before Christmas.

Did I mention that they started the meeting by telling us how grateful they are for everything we had done during the pandemic? Anyway...

This happened this afternoon, and like I said most of the staff didn't attend due to the short notice, so we haven't discussed it or consulted with our actual union rep yet. It occurred to me after the meeting that if our contracts make us distinct from the residential home, why then did we work there when our centre closed instead of being furloughed? Should we have been? Was the council potentially at fault for not doing so, or even indicating it was an option? Can we get some leverage it this, perhaps argue that we have precedent as being partly residential workers etc etc…

So anyway thank you if you read all that. If anyone has any advice regarding this situation I'd be very grateful. Cheers.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

The Onsind song is absolutely a reference to the Propagandhi album, they're big fans iirc.

lol, came here to post this. My Propagandhi story is that when I saw them in london a few years ago I yelled for "Without Love" and they bumped a more popular song to play it.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

josh04 posted:

lol, came here to post this. My Propagandhi story is that when I saw them in london a few years ago I yelled for "Without Love" and they bumped a more popular song to play it.

A song that makes me cry and contemplate lost pets, but also you can :guitar: to it

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

escapegoat posted:

Advice time goons.

I work at a day centre for elderly people attached to a larger residential home, all currently council run. The day centre was closed during lockdown during which time we worked in the residential part of the building. The day centre re-opened this spring at a reduced capacity. At about the same time the, council thanked us for our hard work during the pandemic by announcing they were now going to sell the home to a private company (if they can find one interested.) Since then we've all been considering what our rights will be under TUPE regulations once the new provider takes over.

Until this afternoon that is, when we had a zoom meeting with some of the council representatives. Which we were only told about this morning, so was poorly attended. And attended by a union rep whom none of us know from a union none of us belong to, but I digress....

We all thought that TUPE would prevent the new providers from altering our contracts for a year, that it would protect the status of the day centre and should it eventually be closed (it loses money so almost certainly will be) we would transfer to residential. Nope. Turns out, because we are contracted as day centre employees, that should the new provider indicate they wish to close the day centre during the transfer process that we can then be given a months notice and made redundant. This could all happen before Christmas.

Did I mention that they started the meeting by telling us how grateful they are for everything we had done during the pandemic? Anyway...

This happened this afternoon, and like I said most of the staff didn't attend due to the short notice, so we haven't discussed it or consulted with our actual union rep yet. It occurred to me after the meeting that if our contracts make us distinct from the residential home, why then did we work there when our centre closed instead of being furloughed? Should we have been? Was the council potentially at fault for not doing so, or even indicating it was an option? Can we get some leverage it this, perhaps argue that we have precedent as being partly residential workers etc etc…

So anyway thank you if you read all that. If anyone has any advice regarding this situation I'd be very grateful. Cheers.

Are several of you in a union and in which case if you are, I would turn to them for advice.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

escapegoat posted:

Advice time goons.

Definitely contact your union. My gut (IANAL or Union Rep) feeling from looking at stuff like this is that that meeting might be invalid if they didn't send an invite to your actual union rep (sometimes councils have a stock list of unions, but they are obligated to contact the employee's one iirc). This would mean they'd have to re-do it which should maybe give you a bit of extra time if nothing else? Anyway, I might be talking out of my rear end, but contact your union ASAP - they'll know what to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

kingturnip posted:

Bad country music is probably worse than bad [other genre] music, but great country music is great.
He's not everyone's cup of tea, but most of Gram Parsons' output is wonderful.

Even the story surrounding his death is fantastic narrative (although the documentary about Gram I saw had an interview with his half-sister, which was a bit :smith: )

K Rose in GTA San Andreas was my intro to country that wasn't Toby Keith shite. Absolutely fell in love with the melancholic vibes of his honky tonk country. And the Patsy Cline tune on their too. And then later on I found stuff like Townes Van Zandt & Steve Earle

It's an often fairly maligned type of music but when country hits with me it really hits. I always have a place for songs about tragedy and alcoholism and divorce and "My Son Calls Another Man Daddy"

I really enjoy bluegrass too. Never actually owned any records but anytime I hear it I dig it. There's a black metal artist called Panopticon who through a couple bluegrass takes on classic Kentucky coal miner tunes and it is so great.

https://youtu.be/c6CkzP1V_qE
https://youtu.be/4v9l0sbFQxU

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 30, 2021