Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

:cop: They can't be radioactive themselves, that would kill them kinda quick like. They must be carrying around contaminated dust at most. And boars and domesticated pigs hybradize constantly and everywhere all the time (except for the Americas because there's no native wild boar populations in the new world)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Nah. They’re radioactive.

It’s bioaccumulation and it’s also seen in parts of Europe after the Chernobyl incident.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Their flesh is radio activated? Or more mundane low bio acumulation of contaminants? I'm trying not to be wrong on the Internet here so it's important.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
So how long until they turn into a dark souls boss

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Don Gato posted:

So how long until they turn into a dark souls boss

I think this is more of a Princess Mononoke situation

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Their flesh is radio activated? Or more mundane low bio acumulation of contaminants? I'm trying not to be wrong on the Internet here so it's important.

It’s not so much that the boars have been directly subjected to radiation from the environment, but that what they have consumed was radioactive.
It’s comparable to heavy metal poisoning: the higher a species is in the food chain, the more metal it accumulates.

There are several causes for this accumulation, but one that is easy to grasp is that species higher on the food chain live longer and reproduce slower

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Cæsium-137 is the major contaminant. It has a half-life of thirty years. Once ingested, it mimics potassium and is spread all around the body.

P.S.: Your boar hybridization model fails to account for Americans deliberately importing wild boar for sport and predictably letting them loose. George Gordon Moore is responsible for California’s problem. There were separate introductions in Texas and elsewhere.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Aha, so they are just contaminated like expected and not actually radioactive, good. I will try to look at the hybridization situation in the US though, pig/boar genetics is genuinely cool

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010
For comparison's sake, bananas give off something around 115Bq/kg of radiation.

According to the abstract of this paper, there is a general radiocesium limit of 100Bq/kg in place for foods.

These pigs range from 90 to 1000, with a median of 450.

Also, if I'm reading this right, there's an estimate that if you eat some it will increase the radiation you receive on an ongoing basis by about 1-3% of normal background radiation.

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Aha, so they are just contaminated like expected and not actually radioactive, good. I will try to look at the hybridization situation in the US though, pig/boar genetics is genuinely cool

What's your definition of "actually radioactive"? The meat gives off beta particles.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Is a boar pig hybrid supposed to be more scary than just a wild boar itself

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s only a radioactive pig if its flesh has been neutron-activated.

Otherwise, it’s just sparkling pork.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Dylan16807 posted:

What's your definition of "actually radioactive"? The meat gives off beta particles.

Something getting activated by ionizing radiation as opposed to contaminated by some other radiactive materia being on/inside the thing. It's starting to feel like my lame joke post wasn't very good

E.

Platystemon posted:

It’s only a radioactive pig if its flesh has been neutron-activated.

Otherwise, it’s just sparkling pork.
Exactly

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Dylan16807 posted:

Not this boar. I give off sigma particles.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
With all that extra energy, does it walk up and cook its own bacon?

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Something getting activated by ionizing radiation as opposed to contaminated by some other radiactive materia being on/inside the thing. It's starting to feel like my lame joke post wasn't very good

E.

Exactly
Well now you have me interested.

I mean, the cesium isn't just inside it, it's integrated into the pig molecules. You rate that differently from a neutron hitting an atom that was already in the pig and making it unstable?

If I make a pig radioactive via neutrons, and then eat some of the pig, am I radioactive or am I just perma-contaminated?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Dylan16807 posted:

Well now you have me interested.

I mean, the cesium isn't just inside it, it's integrated into the pig molecules. You rate that differently from a neutron hitting an atom that was already in the pig and making it unstable?

If I make a pig radioactive via neutrons, and then eat some of the pig, am I radioactive or am I just perma-contaminated?

What, you don't??

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Inceltown posted:

Not this boar. I give off sigma particles.
What's sigma?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

E.

Exactly

Something is radioactive if it contains unstable nuclear isotopes that spontaneously disintegrate and emit radiation. Neutron activation is a thing that can cause non-radioactive things to become radioactive if exposed to neutron radiation, but is not intrinsic to the definition of radioactivity.

The etymology of "radioactive" has nothing to do with "activation" but is based on active/activity, as in it is actively emitting energetic particles. Or that you detected activity from it in the form of the emission of energetic particles whose origin was the spontaneous decay of unstable nuclei.

While I'm at it, as a nuclear engineer and health physicist, it is a pet peeve of mine when people use "radiation" interchangeably with "radioisotope." No, cesium-137 is not radiation, it is radioactive and thus emits radiation :argh:

edit: no one made that mistake here as far as I saw but I just wanted an audience for a rant

BattleMaster has a new favorite as of 01:18 on Jul 1, 2021

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Everyone knows that it's not radioactive if it isn't glowing, have multiple eyes, and/or tentacles.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Oh poo poo! I have multiple eyes!

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

GrossMurpel posted:

Is a boar pig hybrid supposed to be more scary than just a wild boar itself

I'm so mad at that articles lack of Latin names. Are they saying domestic Sus scrofa and wild Sus scrofa are breeding or is there another species in that area they are calling a boar that they are breeding with? Because pigs breeding with pigs is hardly news worthy.

Platystemon posted:

P.S.: Your boar hybridization model fails to account for Americans deliberately importing wild boar for sport and predictably letting them loose. George Gordon Moore is responsible for California’s problem. There were separate introductions in Texas and elsewhere.

Pigs are pigs. The Texas and Southern states introductions are traced back to early settlers (Spanish in TX) bringing pigs with them. They're not some special species that's different from other domestic pigs.

Atticus_1354 has a new favorite as of 03:33 on Jul 1, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m no porcine geneticist, but I understand that wild (or “wild”) Eurasian hogs were imported in the twentieth century. These escaped and bred with feral hogs, creating the hybrids that ThisIsJohnWayne didn’t know about.

quote:

Feral hogs (Sus scrofa) are an old world species belonging to the family Suidae, and in Texas include European wild hogs, feral hogs, and European-feral crossbreeds. Feral hogs are domestic hogs that either escaped or were released for hunting purposes.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_bk_w7000_0195.pdf

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Platystemon posted:

I’m no porcine geneticist, but I understand that wild (or “wild”) Eurasian hogs were imported in the twentieth century. These escaped and bred with feral hogs, creating the hybrids that ThisIsJohnWayne didn’t know about.

That's my point. They're all Sus scrofa. That's like saying domestic dogs have escaped and cross breed with feral dogs. They're all the same.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Domestic dogs are arguably the same species as grey wolves, and they are demonstrably not “all the same”.

I don’t know that it’s proper to use the word “hybrid”, but you know what they mean.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

Platystemon posted:

Domestic dogs are arguably the same species as grey wolves, and they are demonstrably not “all the same”.

But they're not. They just share a common ancestor and have distinct genetic differences.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Inceltown posted:

Not this boar. I give off smegma particles.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Question. What do I do if 30-50 of them get in my yard?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Look at this pigs huge radioactive balls

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Well my wikipedia says domesticated pigs are a subspecies called Sus scrofa domesticus

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
sigh

“What’s ‘scrofa’?”

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Scrofa deez nuts!!! :D

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
sus

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/AP_Oddities/status/1410587757521539072

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Atticus_1354 posted:

I'm so mad at that articles lack of Latin names. Are they saying domestic Sus scrofa and wild Sus scrofa are breeding or is there another species in that area they are calling a boar that they are breeding with? Because pigs breeding with pigs is hardly news worthy.

Pigs are pigs. The Texas and Southern states introductions are traced back to early settlers (Spanish in TX) bringing pigs with them. They're not some special species that's different from other domestic pigs.

I was going to mention javelinas but then I found out they are not related to the above species. The more you knowTM

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/acurrentaffair9/status/1410867473901973510?s=21

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

NBC's $18 Million 'Ultimate Slip 'N Slide' at a Standstill After Diarrhea Outbreak (Exclusive)
:itwaspoo:

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

:barf:to the power of:barf:

I Miss Snausages
Mar 8, 2005
Volvorific!

Dylan16807 posted:

For comparison's sake, bananas give off something around 115Bq/kg of radiation.

According to the abstract of this paper, there is a general radiocesium limit of 100Bq/kg in place for foods.

These pigs range from 90 to 1000, with a median of 450.

Also, if I'm reading this right, there's an estimate that if you eat some it will increase the radiation you receive on an ongoing basis by about 1-3% of normal background radiation.

Don't worry, we can sell the meat to the people in WV, because they mostly are fat and drink lots of beer, so industrial pollution standards shouldn't apply to Vest Virginians.

https://www.wvgazettemail.com/opini...4fdc6baea7.html

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/CDCgov/status/1410677082435117059

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Don’t worry, CDC.

The kids are three feet apart. :smuggo: