Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
A head of a cult having "question-asker" in their bio is a huge :ironicat:, considering cults are not known for encouraging questions from their victims.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

captainOrbital posted:

I hope the judge revokes her right to use hyphens.

Just hymens, I believe.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

learnincurve posted:

I knew young Amy Winehouse back in my pre-kids exiting life in Brixton and we all saw that coming, she was a hilarious woman as well.

This video always makes me chuckle but it's also got major ghost of Christmas future vibes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Hu6ydOnF2s

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

That look on his face absolutely shattered my heart.

learnincurve posted:

If it’s any comfort in real life she was sweet, funny and clever. It was like a switch got flipped the moment she started to sing, she suddenly KNEW her own power

That is a comfort, thank you. :')

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Courtney Love didn’t kill Kurt Cobain but she happily rode his fame train all the way to the end. She’s well known for being manipulative and emotionally abusive in pursuit of personal fame.

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

Huh, I feel like I read it appeared in his IG stories or posts or something too. I wonder if it's his dumb decisions or the classic weird hangers-on a lot of rappers can't shake off when they get famous.

Yeah he has been renting it and passing it off as his on IG

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Read After Burning posted:

https://twitter.com/ColdMongoose/status/1410251884724723719

Mack is currently being sent to prison for helping run that Nxivm cult.

Are you saying that there is a secret world of Allison Mack?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Inceltown posted:

Are you saying that there is a secret world of Allison Mack?

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought this.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Twitter was full of people making the same mistake, ha.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Scratch Monkey posted:

Courtney Love didn’t kill Kurt Cobain but she happily rode his fame train all the way to the end. She’s well known for being manipulative and emotionally abusive in pursuit of personal fame.

Montage of Heck was a fantastic documentary and if you haven’t see it please do, even if you aren’t a Nirvana fan.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

dialhforhero posted:

Montage of Heck was a fantastic documentary and if you haven’t see it please do, even if you aren’t a Nirvana fan.

Hey that’s the documentary where most of his friends say is bullshit and even the director said he wasn’t trying to be accurate but telling tales

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

CharlestheHammer posted:

Hey that’s the documentary where most of his friends say is bullshit and even the director said he wasn’t trying to be accurate but telling tales

It’s still a good watch :shrug:.

First I heard of the criticism. Interesting. I saw it when it came out.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/PhyliciaRashad/status/1410289746539130882

This attempted backpedal wont get people off your rear end. Bye Phylicia.

https://twitter.com/PhyliciaRashad/status/1410336268995776518

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Not that I needed another, but now I have a second reason to not watch Cosby reruns.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://twitter.com/fbgallen/status/1410293568846143491

Whole bunch of people showing their entire rear end on the timeline today

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

I can't tell if Ice T's post is defending Cosby or just being sarcastic/cracking a bad joke.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'm not surprised that Ice-T's first instinct is to be glad a black man was released from prison because the cops (or prosecutors in this case) violated the law.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

I did find this, which has me cracking up:

https://twitter.com/Dani_wuz_here/status/1410339723961307141

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Edit: https://twitter.com/InsiderAsia/status/1410208684773462020

This isn't quite IDIOTS on social media per se, but I don't know where else to put this.

This came up in some discussions in classes I did about tourism and culture: a LOT of Western tourists expect foreign countries to simply stay in the same state as the stereotypes they've learned for their entertainment, and end up really disappointed when they show up somewhere and it's modernized. There is a lot to say about negative effects of globalization and Capitalism, but I always found it really amusing hearing about trekkers showing up in Peru to do the Salkantay Trail and are dismayed when the locals are wearing t-shirts and jeans instead of wool ponchos. It's honestly pretty demeaning to think "I can do whatever I want and dress however I want and change and modernize and progress, but how DARE *those* people do the same? It's ruining my gawking at the projected exoticism I have of those people and their culture!" And in some places they're capitalizing off that expectation, and honestly I can't blame them.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I think it’s funnier that story just figured out tourist traps….cater to what the tourists expect

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Hey, I didn't pay $3000 dollars just to fly somewhere else to see the same creeping monoculture that makes America intolerable! I want some culture!

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
It’s like that lovely Bond film, the one with Madonna, where Bond is in South Korea and in the background farmers are plowing fields using water buffaloes

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Tarantino is running his mouth again; he seems to have some weird beef with Bruce Lee?

https://mobile.twitter.com/luulubuu/status/1410361161854377986

:drat:

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into.

Picnic Princess posted:

This came up in some discussions in classes I did about tourism and culture: a LOT of Western tourists expect foreign countries to simply stay in the same state as the stereotypes they've learned for their entertainment, and end up really disappointed when they show up somewhere and it's modernized. There is a lot to say about negative effects of globalization and Capitalism, but I always found it really amusing hearing about trekkers showing up in Peru to do the Salkantay Trail and are dismayed when the locals are wearing t-shirts and jeans instead of wool ponchos. It's honestly pretty demeaning to think "I can do whatever I want and dress however I want and change and modernize and progress, but how DARE *those* people do the same? It's ruining my gawking at the projected exoticism I have of those people and their culture!" And in some places they're capitalizing off that expectation, and honestly I can't blame them.

I love watching Liziqi and Dianxi Xiaoge on Youtube, their videos are so chill and beautiful. But they're 1000% staged and faked and yet there are still people in the comments who think they're a real life example of rural life in China. It's baffling.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Tarantino is running his mouth again; he seems to have some weird beef with Bruce Lee?

https://mobile.twitter.com/luulubuu/status/1410361161854377986

:drat:

Tarantino put Bruce Lee as a character into Once Upon A Time In Hollywood, and apparently had him beaten up by an American stuntman.

I don't know for sure, I turned that movie off after about half an hour because nothing had happened and there didn't seem to be any build up for anything to happen.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Memento posted:

Tarantino put Bruce Lee as a character into Once Upon A Time In Hollywood, and apparently had him beaten up by an American stuntman.

I don't know for sure, I turned that movie off after about half an hour because nothing had happened and there didn't seem to be any build up for anything to happen.

It's kind of a throwaway scene where Bruce Lee is hanging out on the set of Green Hornet talking poo poo to everybody and then Brad Pitt beats him in a fight. I think it's more to establish Rick's physical prowess than to poo poo on Lee but it's weird.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Henchman of Santa posted:

It's kind of a throwaway scene where Bruce Lee is hanging out on the set of Green Hornet talking poo poo to everybody and then Brad Pitt beats him in a fight. I think it's more to establish Rick's physical prowess than to poo poo on Lee but it's weird.

Yeah, that on its own is whatever. The movie is clearly meant to be an alt-history thing, and Pitt's character is basically Tarantino's OC/Gary Stu. But combined with these newest comments, I think Tarantino just has some weird beef. Also the racism that is differentiating between Bruce Lee and "Americans"...when Bruce Lee WAS American, born in San Francisco!

Memento posted:

I actually loved the movie, but I a) am a big fan of period pieces, and b) was on edibles.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Yeah, that on its own is whatever. The movie is clearly meant to be an alt-history thing, and Pitt's character is basically Tarantino's OC/Gary Stu. But combined with these newest comments, I think Tarantino just has some weird beef. Also the racism that is differentiating between Bruce Lee and "Americans"...when Bruce Lee WAS American, born in San Francisco!

I actually loved the movie, but I a) am a big fan of period pieces, and b) was on edibles.

Don't forget Lee spent a significant portion of his life in Seattle and is buried there.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Don't forget Lee spent a significant portion of his life in Seattle and is buried there.

A friend of mine was visiting Hong Kong a few years back and he told me they were going to visit Bruce Lee's grave. I dunno what he was visiting, but uhh, that ain't it, chief.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Memento posted:

A friend of mine was visiting Hong Kong a few years back and he told me they were going to visit Bruce Lee's grave. I dunno what he was visiting, but uhh, that ain't it, chief.

Probably one of the many brucesploitation actors.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Memento posted:

There's a memorial statue there, as well as one of his former houses (although it looks like the latter got torn down in 2019). Maybe one of those?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The opposite of when I saw the weird pyramid grave in New Orleans and later learned it was for Nic Cage

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Picnic Princess posted:

This came up in some discussions in classes I did about tourism and culture: a LOT of Western tourists expect foreign countries to simply stay in the same state as the stereotypes they've learned for their entertainment
But this one's actually for Chinese tourists originally.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Skwirl posted:

I'm not surprised that Ice-T's first instinct is to be glad a black man was released from prison because the cops (or prosecutors in this case) violated the law.
It looks more like a prior prosecutor hosed up:

ABA Journal Coverage posted:

Castor decided to decline to prosecute. He told Cosby’s attorney that he thought his decision meant that Cosby could not assert the Fifth Amendment in a subsequent civil suit planned by Constand’s lawyers, Castor later testified.

During depositions in the civil suit, Cosby made several incriminating statements. Cosby said he gave Benadryl to Constand to help her relax. But he also admitted that he had given Quaaludes, rather than Benadryl, to other women with whom he hoped to have sex.

The civil suit settled for $3.38 million.

The sworn testimony was used by Castor’s successors at Cosby’s criminal trial, even though Castor advised that he had bound the state when he said there would be no charges.

However:

Justice Saylor posted:

I respectfully disagree with the majority’s determination that the press release
issued by former District Attorney Bruce Castor contained an unconditional promise that the Commonwealth would not prosecute Appellant in perpetuity. See Majority Opinion,
slip op. at 50-52, 60-64. Rather, I read the operative language -- “District Attorney Castor
declines to authorize the filing of criminal charges in connection with this matter” -- as a
conventional public announcement of a present exercise of prosecutorial discretion by the temporary occupant of the elected office of district attorney that would in no way be binding upon his own future decision-making processes, let alone those of his successor.

Accord United States v. Goodwin, 457 U.S. 368, 380, 102 S. Ct. 2485, 2492 (1982)
(explaining that a prosecutor may forgo legitimate charges at one time and file additional
charges later); Brief for Appellee at 95 (observing that the Castor press release “says nothing about the alleged forever immunity”). From my point of view, the majority’s
position that such statements must be laden with qualifications, on pain of potentially
undermining later prosecutions via an effective conferral of transactional immunity, is unsound. Cf. Brief for Amicus Office of Attorney General at 30 (highlighting that crediting
Appellant’s position “would effectively assign pardon power to District Attorneys,
something this Court has already rejected as unconstitutional.”).

I also respectfully differ, in many material regards, with the majority’s treatment of the trial court’s findings of fact. For example, to counter the trial court’s explicit finding
that Castor made no promise that the Commonwealth would never prosecute, the majority
posits that “[t]he record establishes without contradiction that depriving Cosby of his Fifth Amendment right was D.A. Castor’s intended result.” Majority Opinion, slip op. at 68.

The fact of an unwritten promise, however, was rejected on credibility grounds, and Castor’s account of his motivations underlying his uncredited assertion of a promise need
not be separately contradicted by record evidence to also fall by the wayside. In any event, there are numerous possible explanations for why Castor issued a press release
reflecting his decision not to prosecute in a high-profile matter, as well as for why he
subsequently claimed there was a promise not to prosecute, beginning in his ensuing
correspondence with his successor.

From my point of view, the majority opinion supplants the trial court’s fact-finding on critical points -- including the fact of a promise
and the asserted reliance -- in contravention of the operative principles of review set forth
in the opinion. See id. at 48-49.3

For these reasons, I respectfully dissent relative to the Court’s order directing a
discharge. I note, however, that I have substantial reservations about the trial court’s
decision to permit the Commonwealth to present testimony from other asserted victims
of sexual assaults by Appellant, which allegedly occurred frombetween fifteen and
twenty-two years in the past. Since under the majority’s approach the issue is moot, I
merely take the opportunity to note that my present, tentative inclination would be to
award a new trial grounded upon Appellant’s challenge to such evidence as being unduly
prejudicial. See generally Commonwealth v. Hicks, 638 Pa. 444, 484-85, 156 A.3d 1114,
1138 (2017) (Saylor, C.J., concurring) (“I maintain concerns about the power of potentially
inevitable character inferences associated with other-acts evidence, with requiring defendants to effectively defend mini-trials concerning collateral matters, and about the efficacy of jury instructions in this context.”).

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/dhookstead/status/1410320074125332482

A war criminal just died, so that of course means it's time for all the war crime lovers to cry about how you shouldn't celebrate the death of war criminals.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Bruce Lee's wife said she hated it, because it made Bruce Lee out to be a cocky prick when he wasn't really like that.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Fister Roboto posted:

https://twitter.com/dhookstead/status/1410320074125332482

A war criminal just died, so that of course means it's time for all the war crime lovers to cry about how you shouldn't celebrate the death of war criminals.

As a wise man in GiP once said,

Wingnut Ninja posted:

It would be uncouth to celebrate his death. Let us instead unite in mourning his life.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

seiferguy posted:

Bruce Lee's wife said she hated it, because it made Bruce Lee out to be a cocky prick when he wasn't really like that.

It's also not really a flashback to when Brad Pitt's character definitely literally beat up Bruce Lee, it's his character stopping to think about the time he "totally beat up Bruce Lee" and it's 100% his own clouded memory. Like he hits Bruce and Bruce goes flying 20 feet back and hits a parked car so hard the door caves in. It's not supposed to be what literally happened even in the fiction of the movie.

It would be like if that Chris Kyle movie showed him getting drunk and thinking back to the time he was on the roof of the Super Dome sniping looters and then George W Bush himself came down on a helicopter and pinned a medal on his tactical vest that said "#1 American Sniper - Big Dick Chris"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
Tarantino will 100% be remembered like Hitchcock as a usually great director with a few stinkers and a bunch of revisionists explaining how his awful, sexpest behaviour was to ELICIT A PERFORMANCE.