Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Cage Kicker posted:

Obviously a group of Lokis is called a Locus

More like LoCUTEus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

Desperado Bones posted:

This, they don't care if Loki is a girl, a sportsman, a hulk, human, etc. As long a Loki does what their prime Loki should do: being a lying rear end, resentful of his parents and brother, trying to get more power, invade New York, starting Ragnarok and getting murdered by Thanos. If a Loki ends telling Thanos to gently caress off and walk away they will be pruned. If a Loki took the decision to not be mean to his brother, they will be pruned, etc, etc and etc.

This is my current working theory, and I'll spoiler the whole thing just to be safe.

In Infinity War, Doctor Strange used the Time Stone to look at 14+ million alternate timelines and see how many different ways they can beat Thanos. The answer, one. Luckily (or thanks to whoever is pulling the strings behind the TVA), the Avengers managed to beat the odds and followed that one in 14+ million timeline.

One recurring phrase that has shown up in all three shows so far is "You lack vision". Director Hayward said it in WandaVision. Karli Morgenthau said it in FATWS. Loki said it in the first episode. So lets say you are someone who doesn't "lack vision" and wanted to rule space, time, reality, etc. Well, you could get yourself some Infinity Stones and use them, but Thanos already tried that and failed. Instead, just get yourself a Time Stone and do what Doctor Strange did, take a peek at 14+ million different timelines (or more) and see which ones lead to your successful ascension as the supreme ultimate ruler of everything. It could be, like in the Avengers' case, that there's only one timeline where that happens. But you're not going to leave that to chance. You're going to step outside of time and space, get yourself an army, layer on some mind wipes, add mind-numbing bureaucracy for accuracy, and make sure that one timeline where you become Grand Poobah is the one that survives.

There's just one hitch. Most of the timelines have you failing because this Loki guy/gal/kid/alligator finds ways to defeat you. So you have to pay extra attention to those Loki variants. Make sure they're pruned in a timely manner before they learn some trick that can defeat you.

Just my thoughts.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Everyone posted:

Except that based on the mid-credits scene there's no reason to believe that Loki and Sylvie actually are genetic twins. There's nothing about their appearance to suggest that they're genetic twins. Sylvie specifically states that she was born female. It's extremely likely that the "role" of Loki as far as the TVA is concerned is "Younger (probably adopted) sibling of Thor who grows to resent their brother and desire approval/recognition from Odin while failing to recognize that they already have that" full stop. Do you think that Alligator Loki is a genetic twin to "our" Loki as well?

I suggested exactly what you are proposing a page or two back and immediately got shot down. Group consensus is that you have be biologically be Loki to be Loki in your timeline. I don’t make the rules, I just cynically enforce them.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Casnorf posted:

More like LoCUTEus

I thought we decided this would be a Star Wars crossover, not Star Trek.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Mike N Eich posted:

we haven't seen how Sylvie would respond to Loki's overtures but I'm thinking we're in for a slapstick kind of gag of her reacting with pure disgust when he proclaims his love

all the bis and pans get mad and the aces go "heh, this one's for us!" and get booed down

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Clearly those are lokii who have shifted into those forms and preferred them, or perhaps they are lokii who's world believed them to look that way and that is why they take that form

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Marsupial Ape posted:

I suggested exactly what you are proposing a page or two back and immediately got shot down. Group consensus is that you have be biologically be Loki to be Loki in your timeline. I don’t make the rules, I just cynically enforce them.

Group consensus is a very TVA thing. The TVA are the Time Police and gently caress the Police as Ice-T might have said once upon a time before he spent 20+ years playing a cop on TV .

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
A group of Lokis is a Murder of Crowkis

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Everyone posted:

Group consensus is a very TVA thing. The TVA are the Time Police and gently caress the Police as Ice-T might have said once upon a time before he spent 20+ years playing a cop on TV .

Ice t was never a part of NWA. All black people don't look alike

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

volts5000 posted:

This is my current working theory, and I'll spoiler the whole thing just to be safe.

In Infinity War, Doctor Strange used the Time Stone to look at 14+ million alternate timelines and see how many different ways they can beat Thanos. The answer, one. Luckily (or thanks to whoever is pulling the strings behind the TVA), the Avengers managed to beat the odds and followed that one in 14+ million timeline.

One recurring phrase that has shown up in all three shows so far is "You lack vision". Director Hayward said it in WandaVision. Karli Morgenthau said it in FATWS. Loki said it in the first episode. So lets say you are someone who doesn't "lack vision" and wanted to rule space, time, reality, etc. Well, you could get yourself some Infinity Stones and use them, but Thanos already tried that and failed. Instead, just get yourself a Time Stone and do what Doctor Strange did, take a peek at 14+ million different timelines (or more) and see which ones lead to your successful ascension as the supreme ultimate ruler of everything. It could be, like in the Avengers' case, that there's only one timeline where that happens. But you're not going to leave that to chance. You're going to step outside of time and space, get yourself an army, layer on some mind wipes, add mind-numbing bureaucracy for accuracy, and make sure that one timeline where you become Grand Poobah is the one that survives.

There's just one hitch. Most of the timelines have you failing because this Loki guy/gal/kid/alligator finds ways to defeat you. So you have to pay extra attention to those Loki variants. Make sure they're pruned in a timely manner before they learn some trick that can defeat you.

Just my thoughts.

Yeah! I had an early theory that Old man Loki was the one pulling the strings, and was getting rid of other Lokis because only a Loki can find out the truth about the TVA.

But yeah, seems like someone is making sure no Loki that at least survivesThanos is around. I say it because Mobius had mentioned that they had dealt with a fuckton of variant Lokis. And that's kinda odd. What are the chances that one being keeps creating variants? So it sounds more as it's their destiny to stop whatever is really happening. All the variants is the universe trying to make it happen.

Edit: lol if it turns out the real bad guy has been in plain sight all this time.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Desperado Bones posted:

Edit: lol if it turns out the real bad guy has been in plain sight all this time.

It's that kitten from the first episode. We don't know what that kitten is capable of!

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Terror Sweat posted:

Ice t was never a part of NWA. All black people don't look alike

I know that. My gently caress-up was confusing "Cop Killer" with "gently caress the Police" because I'm 52 year old fat white guy who knows sweet gently caress-all about rap.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

This loving show

Making me wait until next week is a crime against nature

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

Arist posted:

BOOOOOOOOOORTLES

hes in wisconsin now

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Shamelessly stealing from the internet:

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
A couple of "Nightmare Fuel" thoughts about the TVA.

Loki running headlong into their rear end in a top hat bureaucracy was kind of funny in the first episode because it was clear that he wasn't special to them. They were treating him just like they treat everybody else. In this episode the treat Sylvie, who was a child at the time, in the exact same dehumanizing way. There's no sense of give or even the slightest sense of accommodation to the idea that Sylvie is a child.

A second bit is the idea of Mobius being Renslayer's favorite analyst. It's likely that Mobius is her only analyst. Or if not that he's her favorite and that her in her own hosed-up way she cares for him. Because those stains on her table are all his. Because Mobius is a really smart, dedicated guy who is very good at being an analyst. So figure that he's uncovered the nasty truth about the TVA over and over again. And each time, Renslayer has him pruned and reset and re-brainwashed over and over again. The mug stains on her table are from slightly different versions of Mobius from previous times he's been pruned.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Some really bad fight scenes and choreography in this episode.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

The sacred timeline as far as I remember it being explained early on in episode 1 is actually more like a rope in construction than say, a solitary line. It's made up of several similar enough sacred timelines all really close to each other.

I know in the comics the TVA is more about keeping the multiverse in check from going too whack, rather than just "one sacred timeline" though.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

C-SPAN Caller posted:

The sacred timeline as far as I remember it being explained early on in episode 1 is actually more like a rope in construction than say, a solitary line. It's made up of several similar enough sacred timelines all really close to each other.

I know in the comics the TVA is more about keeping the multiverse in check from going too whack, rather than just "one sacred timeline" though.

Correct, and any event that causes a deviation from *whatever the desired future is* is a "Nexus event" that creates one of the undesirable "deviant" timelines. Loki and Sylvie did SOMETHING that was enough of a Nexus event that it was detectable during a terrible apocalypse, assumedly either deciding to survive or bang.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Harlock posted:

Some really bad fight scenes and choreography in this episodeseries.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Alan Smithee posted:

yo who designs all the computer UI at the TVA

fuckin Yospos?

They really are great, aren’t they :allears:

:yosbutt:

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Cage Kicker posted:

Correct, and any event that causes a deviation from *whatever the desired future is* is a "Nexus event" that creates one of the undesirable "deviant" timelines. Loki and Sylvie did SOMETHING that was enough of a Nexus event that it was detectable during a terrible apocalypse, assumedly either deciding to survive or bang.

I assume they decided to bang, and that unlocks Loki’s next power level and he stops the apocalypse.

Alternatively, whoever is pulling the strings wants Loki to do whatever he is supposed to do because it’s all part of some master plan, and he needed a deus ex machina via the TVA to get Loki off that planet because he’s supposed to survive for now.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

All variant Lokis must come together and form a bigger Loki.

Kaiju fight at the end of the season.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Harlock posted:

Some really bad fight scenes and choreography in this episode.
I’m also mildly enjoying the plot but finding the direction and dialogue to be really bad. I just watched an episode from season 5 of Better Call Saul before this and it was quality whiplash. BCS has little short films within episodes, montages, clever bits where you follow a character without dialogue, incredible storyboarding where certain frames just take your breath away… this show has “2 characters talk in a room with shot-reverse-shot for 5 mins, repeat 8-10 times, bad fight scene, credits.”

It’s getting wearying.

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!

Solaris Knight posted:

I know I'm probably alone on this but All I can think about with the foursome of Lokis is the Arrested Development screencap of the Alliance of Magicians

This was 1000% my first impression as well.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Sammus posted:

I assume they decided to bang, and that unlocks Loki’s next power level and he stops the apocalypse.

Alternatively, whoever is pulling the strings wants Loki to do whatever he is supposed to do because it’s all part of some master plan, and he needed a deus ex machina via the TVA to get Loki off that planet because he’s supposed to survive for now.

Honestly I was half expecting them to try and call for Heimdall etc. to save them. Which if they were that desperate as Lamentis was destroyed might have been their only option. Either that or we know that Loki can survive the vacuum of space for a time (fell off Asgard and got picked up by Thanos' forces) presumably because Loki is a frost giant.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Lord_Magmar posted:

Honestly I was half expecting them to try and call for Heimdall etc. to save them. Which if they were that desperate as Lamentis was destroyed might have been their only option. Either that or we know that Loki can survive the vacuum of space for a time (fell off Asgard and got picked up by Thanos' forces) presumably because Loki is a frost giant.

Lamentis is destroyed in 2077, Heimdall and Asgard are long gone, which he is aware of.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Desperado Bones posted:

Shamelessly stealing from the internet:

incredible

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I thought it was clear they were tee-ing up that the one thing Loki's "do" is survive – therefore two Loki's accepting death was the 'nexus event'.

Also, seems likely the big bad is a Loki who achieved his goal, right? Not sure if any other big bads make any real sense, and don't expect them to pull another IT WAS PALPATINE ALL ALONG. Suppose there's two episodes left so we might meet big bad next one.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Can someone do me a favor and explain why Richard E Grant is someone everyone's excited about? I looked up what he's known for and I've never watched any of those films other than Hudson Hawk.
Edit: Oh it's Doctor Who isn't it.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

DaveKap posted:

Can someone do me a favor and explain why Richard E Grant is someone everyone's excited about? I looked up what he's known for and I've never watched any of those films other than Hudson Hawk.
Edit: Oh it's Doctor Who isn't it.

He was in Doctor Who as a villain in two episodes. But, if you like British cinema, you'll recognize him from a bunch of movies like "Withnail and I", "Jack and Sarah", and "How to Get Ahead in Advertising".

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

The most cultured I am in British cinema is Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels, Snatch, and the House of Cards miniseries.
So... yeah, that's probably why.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Potential spoilers for next episode:

I'm checking out the screencaps of past trailers. And nice. The removed Sylvie from a scene from this episode for the trailer, hahaha.

Boastful Loki was there all along!

Putting two and two together it looks like President Loki is a variant and we are gonna have some Lokis deathmatch.

They totally removed all the variant Lokis in this scene, you can't trick me Disney!

I'm guessing Prunedland is like the end of time of something crazy like that.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I really liked the first two episodes of Loki, but these most recent two really didn't do much for me. I hope they turn it around a bit for the final stretch.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

DaveKap posted:

Can someone do me a favor and explain why Richard E Grant is someone everyone's excited about?

he was Captain Star, the greatest hero any world has ever known

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Owen Wilson is so good in this show.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Desperado Bones posted:

Potential spoilers for next episode:

I'm guessing Prunedland is like the end of time of something crazy like that.

I think it's much simpler than that. I think this is the world where Loki won. This the world where he beat the Avengers, killed his brother and took over the Earth with the Chitauri through bloody slaughter. Of course between nuclear weapons from a desperate humanity, an alien army, a mad demi-god and, eventually a Mad Titan (who Loki, in his own madness and armed with a couple of Inifinity Stones fought) there's not much of a world left or much of a population to rule. As Tony Stark predicted, there was no throne at the end for Loki. I think that Richard E. Grant will be that "victorious" Loki, pruned by the TVA and left to rot in a hell of his own creation.

I think that right now, even with the understandings and empathy that he's achieved, way in the back of his mind "our" Loki thinks that once this TVA business is settled, he can go back to New York, pick up where he left off and win.

So, I think part of the next episode will be Loki's "Come to Jesus" moment when he understands that "winning" in the Battle of New York is the worst possible outcome for everyone - including himself.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah I was wondering when we were going to get to the place from the trailer where there was some kind of destroyed New York

So, knowing comics history, is Renslayer running the TVA for Kang? I would find it hard to believe that they used a character in this who is mostly known for their connection to Kang if they weren’t going to rope him in somehow.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Everyone posted:

I know that. My gently caress-up was confusing "Cop Killer" with "gently caress the Police" because I'm 52 year old fat white guy who knows sweet gently caress-all about rap.

Besides, if any rap personality is involved it's obviously gonna be Flava Flav

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Codependent Poster posted:

Owen Wilson is so good in this show.

His switch from jovial buddy cop mode to "you betrayed me, go get kicked in the nuts by Lady Sif for a bit" is so goddamn. Seeing him disappointed/angry is like actually kind of upsetting