Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Is Homestuck itself bad or just the fans?

The fans everyone remembers were normal obnoxious teenage fans getting into their first online fandom, but since there were a million of them the effect was magnified proportionately.

Homestuck itself is basically hundreds of interlinked multimedia art installations and it's one of those things that too sprawled out to easily classify as "good" or "bad". But if you think something that is described that insufferably sounds bad, then you're having a very common and normal reaction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Invader Zim is great. Derail the thread thank you.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
on the other hand, homestuck did in part lead to the creation of Undertale, one of the best games of all time, so while it is regretful, it is necessary that it came to be.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

homestuck: pretty good but failed to stick the landing pretty badly

homestucks fan: really bad but largely gone since hussie’s flailing about trying to make it a brand

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Captain Invictus posted:

on the other hand, homestuck did in part lead to the creation of Undertale, one of the best games of all time, so while it is regretful, it is necessary that it came to be.

Also Kill Six Billion Demons started on the MSPA forums.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Reach heaven through Vriska

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Srice posted:

It takes like two minutes to write up a quick email asking about it. That's not a high standard. Plus it's not about showing courtesy for the company.

And there's the off-chance they say something important that could be included in the video.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Is Homestuck itself bad

imagine a gymnast who pulls off half of an impressive routine only to fall off the balance beam trying an overly complicated move, snap their neck, and loving die

Doctor Spaceman posted:

And there's the off-chance they say something important that could be included in the video.

yeah. i get if sarah z doesn't want to conceive of herself as a journalist but what's she's doing now is journalism and that includes doing the necessary legwork

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Nuns with Guns posted:

The fans everyone remembers were normal obnoxious teenage fans getting into their first online fandom, but since there were a million of them the effect was magnified proportionately.

Homestuck itself is basically hundreds of interlinked multimedia art installations and it's one of those things that too sprawled out to easily classify as "good" or "bad". But if you think something that is described that insufferably sounds bad, then you're having a very common and normal reaction.

Homestuck was (at the time) the latest in the "my first fandom" where a whole lot of people fell headlong into fandom/fanart/cosplay/rp/internet obsession, and the first time you fall is always the hardest. Previous massive fandom waves include Naruto, Hetalia, Kingdom Hearts and Harry Potter. The others had a whole crowd of new obsessives, but were kinda loosely held together by people who were vets in fandom so they sorta had enough good examples to (mostly) not go completely off the rails (well, maybe not Hetalia, but that was mostly because it was touching on sensitive topics in a bad way and kids aren't always great at historical nuance).

When you've got a new, rather insular fandom if the majority of people involved in it haven't learned the lines in the sand of public/convention behavior poo poo's gonna go off the rails rather quickly, and that's pretty much what happened with homestuck. Without that critical mass of people at least understanding the basics of how to behave in a convention setting, you get buckets of spit and bike horns being banned because kids felt it was a disservice to their character to not spend all day honking it in peoples' ears. Add to that some characters who were magnets for poo poo disturbers, not to mention a poo poo disturber as head creator in the process of writing it, and you have a perfect storm.

I don't think we've had a comparable situation since then of a person making up poo poo while thousands of fandom newbies turned larper obsessives follow along [spoiler]except QAnon[/quote].

stillvisions fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jul 1, 2021

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

QuoProQuid posted:

imagine a gymnast who pulls off half of an impressive routine only to fall off the balance beam trying an overly complicated move, snap their neck, and loving die
And the part where they fall is half the routine

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

QuoProQuid posted:

and said gymnast was poorly reanimated several years later and no one’s taken the time to put them back in the grave

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

So did Undertale, effectively. Toby Fox used to live in Andrew Hussie’s basement while he was composing music for Homestuck. The reason Fox is (somewhere close to being a) millionaire now is because his fan base was originally built on the back of Homestuck’s.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Homestuck was incredible when it was good and grotesque when it was bad. The experience of following the updates in real time is something that can't be recreated. I loved it. And then the story kinda collapsed under its own weight because Andrew Hussie doesn't know how to write endings. Then he invented Homestuck 2 because he doesn't have to write endings if things never end. Would I recommend Homestuck to anyone these days? No. Would I change my icon? Also no.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Folks in the homestuck fandom helped me out of the mental closet.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

QuoProQuid posted:

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Homestuck the comic is exactly like watching a four hour long youtube video of someone setting up and incredibly long and complex domino based rube goldberg device, and at the end he knocks over the first domino backwards and then just leaves. The lights turn of ten seconds later and the video ends.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

That's actually kind of legitimately insulting to Lost. Ouch.

If Lost didn't want to be insulted, then it shouldn't have crashed and burned as badly as Homestuck.

Fun fact: There's an article on one of Hussie's old and probably dead sites where he unironically praises Lost and calls it the pinnacle of writing. That show probably had more effect on Homestuck than you would think.

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Homestuck was great until Hussie took on too many projects, including that stupid game, and like Game of Thrones, the whole thing ended so badly that nobody even talks about it anymore. This drama is the first thing I've heard about Homestuck in like five years.

Homestuck had some really weird fans, but most were harmless goofs. Actually, a lot of talented artists, musicians, and other entertainers came out of the fandom, so I think it was ultimately a net good for the internet.

Then again, notorious Proud Boy Rufio Panman also probably came out of Homestuck fandom, so who can really say?

EDIT: Wait, there's a Homestuck 2? Everyone's joking...right?

Clip-On Fedora fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jul 1, 2021

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Lost's ending was disappointing but it wasn't nearly as dire as Dexter's, GoT's or BSG's.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Lost's ending was disappointing but it wasn't nearly as dire as Dexter's, GoT's or BSG's.

Lee Adama destroyed the human race.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'll still like Homestuck, despite myself.

I blame the music.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

The music was very good!

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

As someone who followed Homestuck from the very beginning to near the end: In hindsight it's kind of a hot mess that I would not recommend to anyone. The story is meandering, plot threads that are never resolved take up huge amounts of the page count, large segments of the story are told through never-ending chatlogs and it commits one of the cardinal sins of including lyrics to raps written by characters with absolutely no musical context to prop them up. I think the fandom it spawned was really more about the experience of the comic as an ongoing event than it was about the comic as a narrative and trying to read through it now, after the fact, is never going to capture the same experience that drew so many people in. The LOST comparison is kind of apt in that Homestuck was also a story that was very good at making the audience believe it was going to pay off on all the things it was building up, but in the end it was all smoke and mirrors.

That said, as has previously been mentioned; some cool poo poo came out of the fandom.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82DJUDS_S7Y

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Bran Stark engineered a genocide in order to become king of the ashes.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

I read Homestuck for an afternoon a few weeks ago to kill some time and I’m sure there’s good stuff in it, but I don’t want to devote the time to find it.

I’m sure it made more sense if you were reading it as it came out. It’s like trying to start One Piece.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeXIoBnu2MU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Clip-On Fedora posted:

The music was very good!

Toby Fox has a talent for being the only good thing about other people's work. For example: he composed Into the Mind for YiiK: A Post-Modern RPG, a song that has been universally hailed as the only thing of worth in that entire spiraling thermonuclear collision of multiple trainwrecks of a game.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

It was actually Helo because he killed the plagued cylons while they were out of resurrection range

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

TheMightyBoops posted:

I read Homestuck for an afternoon a few weeks ago to kill some time and I’m sure there’s good stuff in it, but I don’t want to devote the time to find it.

I’m sure it made more sense if you were reading it as it came out. It’s like trying to start One Piece.

One Piece is actually good tho

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Jamie Faith posted:

One Piece is actually good tho

Oh word, just the aspect of there being so much of it.

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Why can’t there be both What pumpkin being pricks and one of their haters stalking people?

I mean no comment on Sarah’s part on this and it’s not like that would actually make what they did ok but lmao.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
homestuck is an interesting historical relic but it's very difficult to recommend to someone, particularly as it is not available in it's original state due to viz abandoning the website. there are fan collections of it that are quite impressively put together. but reading homestuck now will never recapture the feeling of reading homestuck with your other weird friends at the time. 90% of homestuck's appeal was in the excitement and speculation and, for me, the people i met.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Rockit posted:

Why can’t there be both What pumpkin being pricks and one of their haters stalking people?

I mean no comment on Sarah’s part on this and it’s not like that would actually make what they did ok but lmao.

What is the evidence Gio actually stalked people? Because neither of the people who communicated with Sarah Z who were documented in that follow up video could actually provide anything about that. The closest Hussie came was saying "He made some female employees uncomfortable." which is impossibly broad to draw anything from.

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011
Pseudiom brings yet another interesting look at a historical oddity this time from the press of Vatican City.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-u6se3ITXc

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Nuns with Guns posted:

What is the evidence Gio actually stalked people? Because neither of the people who communicated with Sarah Z who were documented in that follow up video could actually provide anything about that. The closest Hussie came was saying "He made some female employees uncomfortable." which is impossibly broad to draw anything from.

I follow someone who said Gio stalked her personally.
snip out of kiwi concerns. DM for link.

Also Curio's editor said as much the first time it happened.

Rockit fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jul 1, 2021

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

TheMightyBoops posted:

Oh word, just the aspect of there being so much of it.

confident that many people have spent more time saying One Piece and other long things are too long to start than it would have taken for them to read One Piece

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Rockit posted:

I follow someone who said Gio stalked her personally.

-removing because I quoted before your edit-

Okay, that's something then. I'm not sure why What Pumpkin couldn't explain the stalker accusations with accounts like that available? But then again Sarah's documentation of the interactions with Hussie came off like they had no idea what was going on or how to interact with someone who wasn't immediately deferential to them.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

fun hater posted:

homestuck is an interesting historical relic but it's very difficult to recommend to someone, particularly as it is not available in it's original state due to viz abandoning the website. there are fan collections of it that are quite impressively put together. but reading homestuck now will never recapture the feeling of reading homestuck with your other weird friends at the time. 90% of homestuck's appeal was in the excitement and speculation and, for me, the people i met.

Homestuck unironically was the friends we made along the way.

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Nuns with Guns posted:

Okay, that's something then. I'm not sure why What Pumpkin couldn't explain the stalker accusations with accounts like that available? But then again Sarah's documentation of the interactions with Hussie came off like they had no idea what was going on or how to interact with someone who wasn't immediately deferential to them.

A dick boss still acts like a dick when trying to point out facts? Not surprising.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The thing is that back in college I started One Piece, binged three hundred episodes, caught up to the current releases, and then said "oh, I don't like following weekly, I'll just wait until it's finished, it can't be much longer!" and that was fourteen years ago. It doesn't help that every few years Oda does an interview and just makes up nonsense numbers. He said it was supposed to be five years long. We were 'halfway done' in 2003. And 2007. I think we're getting closer to the end but I don't even know anymore!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

One piece will end in either 2025 or 2026. If it goes any longer I would be floored.