Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
Hoping my flannelette sheets arrive today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Lolie posted:

Hoping my flannelette sheets arrive today.

We got flannel sheets last year and they rule for cold winter nights

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Going to the zoo today, i hope i get to see the snow leopards but i bet they'll be asleep.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!

Caesar Saladin posted:

Going to the zoo today, i hope i get to see the snow leopards but i bet they'll be asleep.

I am starting to suspect they don't actually have snow leopards in zoos in Australia, just props they move every night.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
24 new cases in NSW. Half were in the community while infectious.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Caesar Saladin posted:

Reckon you've ever seen a fake animal at the zoo?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
The only two times I've been to Dubbo Zoo, many years apart, it was over 40C each time and all the animals were hiding. I'm not sure how many animals they actually have there, probably just a bunch of signs and empty pens for all I know.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

starkebn posted:

The only two times I've been to Dubbo Zoo, many years apart, it was over 40C each time and all the animals were hiding. I'm not sure how many animals they actually have there, probably just a bunch of signs and empty pens for all I know.

Every time I've been to Taronga at least a few of the exhibits I've wanted to see have been closed.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I went to a zoo in Knoxville in the US and it was the most depressing experience, the elephants were just standing there swaying back and forth, my mum got absolutely furious

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Lolie posted:

Every time I've been to Taronga at least a few of the exhibits I've wanted to see have been closed.

they have been doing rennos for what seems like a decade but i imagine its a bit like painting the harbour bridge.

I went in feb and the lion/tiger exhibits had been updated. the bear pit is gone and i think the mountain goats too.

its definitely less of a construction site than the last time i was there about 10 years ago.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
We went to the zoo in Bali and we were on the fence about going because I was sorta expecting it to be terrible. But it did seem that the animals we saw were being looked after well and had lots of room to move and enrichment.

The only possibly dodgy thing that happened was I saw this porcupine and it looked like there was blood all around it but then I looked a bit more closely and it was having babies. So I got the attention of one of the keepers to get him to have a look and he thought I was joking until he got closer and saw the porcupine babies, then he just about fell over in shock and got on his radio.

I'm not sure how it got pregnant though when it was the only porcupine in the enclosure. I still think about this sometimes

:thunk:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Laserface posted:

the bear pit is gone

Well, there go my plans for tomorrow. I was going to ask if you wanted to come with.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Caesar Saladin posted:

I went to a zoo in Knoxville in the US and it was the most depressing experience, the elephants were just standing there swaying back and forth, my mum got absolutely furious

The elephant at Sydney Zoo was depressed when my daughter went there because it had lost its mate. They have since found it a companion and it's much happier now.

Apparently there is never a guarantee they will accept a newcomer do it's not just a matter of finding another elephant and putting them together.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

bee posted:

We went to the zoo in Bali and we were on the fence about going because I was sorta expecting it to be terrible. But it did seem that the animals we saw were being looked after well and had lots of room to move and enrichment.

The only possibly dodgy thing that happened was I saw this porcupine and it looked like there was blood all around it but then I looked a bit more closely and it was having babies. So I got the attention of one of the keepers to get him to have a look and he thought I was joking until he got closer and saw the porcupine babies, then he just about fell over in shock and got on his radio.

I'm not sure how it got pregnant though when it was the only porcupine in the enclosure. I still think about this sometimes

:thunk:

Maybe she was just a new arrival and nobody noticed it beforehand?

EoinCannon posted:

We got flannel sheets last year and they rule for cold winter nights

Polar Fleece blankets are where it's at for cold winter nights. Sooo warm and toasty.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Taronga had some pretty terrible enclosures for decades, like the elephant and bear enclosures, and alot of the animals had stereotypy, generally swaying, pacing etc.

Zoo care in Oz has come along way, but the enclosure based zoo's are backwards. Walkthrough biomes, sections of national Park where you go on a safari and take photo's at feed stations etc are where it's at.

Especially if the locals can benefit from it economically too.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Polar Fleece blankets are where it's at for cold winter nights. Sooo warm and toasty.

If your doona isn't warm enough, get a second doona.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Megillah Gorilla posted:

If your doona isn't warm enough, get a second doona.

This guy gets it

KING EGG
Dec 1, 2000

Saturday is "Treat Day"
Mogo zoo is pretty good if you get out that way. Quite a few exhibits and lots of area for the animals to roam. The area was pretty gutted by the fires, I think the town got hosed up pretty bad.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Double doona crew rise up

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

I sleep in a big bed with my partner

anti-magic
Sep 9, 2012

We've come up in the ram-raiding business, Owl.
It's all high class now.
No more baby seats.
I just use a single doona because Perth doesn't get that cold.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Jestery posted:

I sleep in a big bed with my partner

Double Doona crew is not gonna take this kind of abuse laying down

Yolo Swaggins Esq
Jan 29, 2015

oOoOoh 👀 a dapper little mouse🎩 🐀🕺🏻🕺🏻 a dAppER MoUSe🧐🐀 🚶🏿‍♂️🚶🏿‍♂️it’s a 🎩DAPPER mouse 👀✔️🐀🥾🏃🏽‍♂️🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻🏃🏽‍♂️🐀💥
I use a super cheap light doona because my partner turns into a human heater at night, and most nights have to throw it off because I'm dating the fuckin human torch apparently

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

go to sleep sad, wake up cold. anything else you're a fake goon

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
Bed warmth at my house depends on whether my dog is on top of the covers, under the covers, or both. All three happen every night.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
I crank my side of our electric blanket up to 9 before I go to bed so it's nice and toasty by the time I want to go to sleep. I have a doona with a thick blanket on top of that, so I can adjust layers as needed. Mr bee is also a weird human who doesn't seem to be able to feel the cold, so the double doona/blanket situation allows him to freeze through the night as so he desires without me having to suffer as a result. Everyone wins!

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
We also use two doonas primarily so I can have a blanket throughout the night rather than have it viciously stolen as my partner twists and turns.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

It's a small situation but there's a little native animal rescue out past Campbelltown and you can walk around with the emus

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Just got my second pfizer shot :angel:

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

vax sack and crack

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Single doona and electric blanket here. The cats help out too.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

bowmore posted:

Just got my second pfizer shot :angel:

Let us know if it hits you tomorrow. Mine is due for July 12 and I hear the 2nd Pfizer can be a tough one.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

The second Pfizer took me out for a weekend. Viral infection side effects, sore muscles, aches all over, bit hot and cold. My wife got it on the first and was fine on the second.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
New sheets washed and on the bed.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Well, there go my plans for tomorrow. I was going to ask if you wanted to come with.

You taffer.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Lolie posted:

... sheets washed ...

...?????...

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I run insanely hot at night so it would have be -20 for me to consider adding another doona. I had half my body out of the sheets last night and it was about 6 degrees. I go for a walk at 7 most mornings in a t-shirt unless it's below 7ish degrees. Then through the day I feel the cold again and have to layer up. It's weird.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
It's pissing down here.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

This just in

Dutch ovens?

Still funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BastardAus
Jun 3, 2003
Chunder from Down Under
Dutch ovens reminds me
"If you like to fart in bed,
Grab your cat by his little head
Push his face under the sheet
Hold him 'til he's loving beat - whoooah
Make ya cat sniff ya farts"
Rodney Rude - I Hate Cats

I don't hate cats at all, but the song cracks me the gently caress up. And Rodney is a legend.