Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Dumb quick question: is Unreal World procedurally generated or a fixed map?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Truga posted:

yeah i really like stationeers, but it'd be a way less tedious game if you could just... craft from inventory like in space engineers i guess?

I watched some gameplay of this and the whole minute detail bullshit of putting batteries into everything and manually tetris-ing through 16 positions for connectors for stuff made my soul leave my body

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
If you can believe it Stationeers used to be far, far worse as the dev was very adamant that the UI had to be as obtuse and unusable as possible for REALISM. Now it's only semi-obtuse and you won't spend half an hour trying to figure out how to pick something up.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I was avoiding stationeers because the goofy player models were putting me off, but I picked it up because I love the finicky obtuse bullshit you guys are describing.

You know that feeling when you play a game for an hour and you know it's gonna own your life for the next two weeks? Yeah.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Kvlt! posted:

Procedural

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

explosivo posted:

As if I didn't have enough poo poo to play right now I saw that Astroneer just updated with some cool new vehicles like a vtol and hoverboard. I never went back to that game after they added the machinery stuff and always meant to but I keep finding other stuff instead.

I wonder if the MS store version I bought is able to play with any other version yet?
What a wasted buy that was.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Jawnycat posted:

Stationeers is really good, but as others have said, the main survival challenges are engineering ones rather than more traditional stuff. Tho they recently added food spoilage so food can more easily go wrong at least. But yeah, you still gotta worry about food and water and air, but solving those problems is generally a matter of, well, engineering and logistics rather than flat acquisition or basic refinement. If you think you'd enjoy roleplaying a plumber/electrician stuck in space, you'll prolly like it.

I really like playing on Vulcan, since you gotta avoid going out in the day since it gets way too loving hot out and will cook you alive, and combust allot of things if you leave them outside, so for the first few days you've got to crack open all the doors in your base to cycle that refreshing, cool 120'c night air in before you get a heat exchange and radiator setup. But the benefit is that for a brief window during midday you can prime the furnace to smelt steel and a few other alloys without the need for fuel by pumping in the external atmosphere, which was a fun task to partially automate. Needed a series of small, un-insulated pre-fill tanks to get the pressure high enough during the window; couldn't use big tanks since they'd hold the "cold" from the night too well and miss the window.

Also the devs have a monthly update schedule that they almost never miss and is usually a moderate content chunk at least, which is kinda refreshing for an EA game.

I went and watched a few videos like everyone said and it looks like everything is done via pressing buttons and pulling levers in game. ie manually rather than an abstract "Craft 3 parts from the crafting screen."

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Kvlt! posted:

It's procedurally generated as Hub Cat said, however one thing to note is that the tribes are all roughly in the same geographic area across games/maps. (i.e. Njerpez will be in the east, the islanders are always in the south-west, etc.)

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Arven posted:

I was avoiding stationeers because the goofy player models were putting me off, but I picked it up because I love the finicky obtuse bullshit you guys are describing.

You know that feeling when you play a game for an hour and you know it's gonna own your life for the next two weeks? Yeah.

This is basically how I felt about Stationeers. I haven't played in a while, but it hit some buttons in my brain in just the right way. When you finally grok all the weird systems and are able to build/set up something and have it work the way you want to, without following a guide, it's a good feeling. Advanced logic stuff is still a big hurdle for me, but at least now I kind of understand why I'm putting certain chips down... sometimes. I've only done some small stuff without following a guide, like setting up nightlights (turn on when a sensor doesn't detect daylight), or having a small room around the starting smelter to keep all the gas contained, then suck it into a pipe to send over to the filtration area (problem: the room gets very hot and I don't want to build an air conditioning system for it, so I just open the door and let it cool off occasionally). The in-game Stationpedia is supposed to have gotten an upgrade in one of the last few patches, so it might be better than it used to be, but I usually have https://stationeers-wiki.com/Main_Page open while I'm playing, to look up smelting recipes or how to set up logic systems.

Also, the goofy cartoon characters are pretty much ignorable if you play solo, and hilarious if you play with friends. When you hear an explosion from the other side of the base and find your buddy sailing 50 meters through the air before hitting the ground because he forgot to turn something on/off and a pipe blew up in his face, it's a lot funnier when he looks like a knock-off mii. :)

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
Stationeers also had The Best Bug for awhile. When you die, your body eventually gets deleted and spawns a skeleton, but they forgot to make the new skeleton not also have a countdown timer to spawn a skeleton (but not delete itself), so for a very brief period of time before they fixed it, once you died it was only a matter of time until you were crushed under the weight of infinite, exponential skeletons.

Also yeah, it's had allot of UI and usability improvements since the early days, once you get used to the weird hand poo poo it's way faster, but you can now bypass it by just clicking and dragging stuff, even from the world, into your hand slots (or any other inventory slot) if you need to. It super makes changing batteries and other internal item components much simpler and less of a juggling act.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

OgNar posted:

I wonder if the MS store version I bought is able to play with any other version yet?
What a wasted buy that was.

Update: Only if you buy one of Astroneers dedicated servers.
Which, gently caress that, be smarter to just buy the drat thing again on a sale from Steam.
Screw you Microsoft Store.
You win again, but for the last time.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

so many screwups

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

quote is not edit

probe me if you must

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Quick, everyone post to bury OgNar's triple-post under a new page! :D

Also yeah, that's the kinda reason why I avoid the MS store for games. I got a video+audio editing software package for a few bucks (as I had been using the free version up until that sale) and that's it. Sorry to hear that you were burnt, either way!

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

OgNar posted:

probe me if you must

Well if you insist

snaps on latex glove

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Astoneer is in a weird place for me because they semi-recently added large-scale manufacturing and resource gathering, complete with automation, but there's nothing in the game to need or even make use of that scale of production. You really don't need that much going on, and more than one printer, smelter, gas collector, etc per planet feels like extreme overkill. What are you making that you need automation and mass income of materials? I couldn't spend that level of resources if I wanted. Like maybe you could make a gimmicky chess board or whatever with those pieces they added specifically for people who want to awkwardly play chess or soccer in their game but I can't wrap my head around what the rest of this is for.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I have a similar vibe and it’s weird. I can only sim it up in: I like to play survival games creatively, I don’t like to play creative games.

7DTD requires a lot of purpose and you can get creative, but your endgame isn’t “well now I’m going to build a Turing complete zombie computer.” The other examples I can think of are city builders - it’s why something like Workers and Resources grabs me (constant need to build, expand and maintain supply lines and production chains) and Cities Skylines (just get enough built to have a positive cash flow, then make pretty) doesn’t. Both allow for a similar-ish degree of creative freedom, but there’s no real motive beyond some Reddit posted “look at this cool mega build” because the game itself falls off and it just becomes a weird way to make different art.

That’s fine, but it’s not much of a game for me at that point. Not sure if that scans for anyone else or if it’s my unique brainworms to the creative vs “mechanic” balance.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I feel like there's a survival adjacent game out there that will rule my life for multiple years, but it hasn't been made yet because genre baggage

Some day

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Kvlt! posted:

Procedurally generated but the terrain/villages are in the same general area every time. EG the Driik will always be in the SW corner of the map next to the Islanders and just south of some NE-SW rivers, but the specific tiles will change on map regen.

EFB

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Kvlt! posted:

I'm pretty sure the map itself (i.e. the locations of rivers and mountains and terrain) is the exact same each time. But as others mentioned, the town locations themselves are random.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
If somebody ever makes a compelling automation + survival, that'll probably be my favorite game ever.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Vib Rib posted:

Astoneer is in a weird place for me because they semi-recently added large-scale manufacturing and resource gathering, complete with automation, but there's nothing in the game to need or even make use of that scale of production. You really don't need that much going on, and more than one printer, smelter, gas collector, etc per planet feels like extreme overkill. What are you making that you need automation and mass income of materials? I couldn't spend that level of resources if I wanted. Like maybe you could make a gimmicky chess board or whatever with those pieces they added specifically for people who want to awkwardly play chess or soccer in their game but I can't wrap my head around what the rest of this is for.

Counterpoint: You can make explosives factories for blowing up the planet/your computer.

But yeah for normal, non-gimmick stuff it's really not needed.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I have a similar vibe and it’s weird. I can only sim it up in: I like to play survival games creatively, I don’t like to play creative games.
Not sure if that scans for anyone else or if it’s my unique brainworms to the creative vs “mechanic” balance.

nah it makes sense. i think it's fairly simple:

building is fun, but building in survival bolts on logistics and resource management, exploration and puzzles to your building process, as opposed to just placing a bunch of blocks.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

lordfrikk posted:

If somebody ever makes a compelling automation + survival, that'll probably be my favorite game ever.
Myself, I'll hold out for Tarkov, but it's a single player survival game.

E: Co-op survival game.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

I would happily put tons of time into coop pve tarkov. The game mechanics are good

I just hate the forced pvp against people who play hours and hours every day, always roll with top gear and guns, and think they're twitch streamers or whatever

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

There's a single player offline mod but it requires a special version of the game and I was never able to get it to work once. Definitely some buyer's remorse with that purchase :sigh:

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

STALKER Anomaly scratched the same itch

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

I would happily put tons of time into coop pve tarkov. The game mechanics are good

I just hate the forced pvp against people who play hours and hours every day, always roll with top gear and guns, and think they're twitch streamers or whatever

:yeah:

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

esquilax posted:

I'm pretty sure the map itself (i.e. the locations of rivers and mountains and terrain) is the exact same each time. But as others mentioned, the town locations themselves are random.

I don’t think this is true (as of 6 months ago at least) because I regenerated the map a few times looking for the ~perfect homestead site~. (At the mouth of the rivers just north of Driik, with a rapids directly adjacent for wintertime rafting to be able to cross when the ice was iffy.)

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

goatsestretchgoals posted:

I don’t think this is true (as of 6 months ago at least) because I regenerated the map a few times looking for the ~perfect homestead site~. (At the mouth of the rivers just north of Driik, with a rapids directly adjacent for wintertime rafting to be able to cross when the ice was iffy.)

Yeah you're right, I just checked. I got confused because there is always rivers and lakes and mountains in approximately the same spots, and there's almost always an island in that river NW of Driik that I settle near.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

Sab Sabbington posted:

Very belatedly: Yeah, they did, a few patches back they added a ton of new/revamped PVE content as well as new NPC locations up and around everywhere for thrall gathering and big raids. In my experience you can do basically all the content solo with the expectation that it'll range from moderately difficult to quite easy depending on how well you know how to use the thrall system. It's still going to be mostly a legendary grind and building experience once you reach the endgame, but there's lots to do and a ton of cool new poo poo the accomplish as you get there in addition to Actually Fun(TM) endgame content.

re 7 Days: at a certain point if you've leveled your speed up enough you can also just murder the poo poo out of Blood Moon hordes solo as long as you chug beer throughout the night in order to keep your stamina at max. No guns necessary for it at all, though it's helpful for oh poo poo moments when you're at risk for abruptly dying.

Seeing the blood moon rise and responding by getting absolutely loving wasted so you can run backwards all night popping zombie heads is as fun and hilarious as it sounds.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Is there any actual story context to the Conan Exiles expansion island? I remember that the main game actually had a modest bit of Plot you could find if you went looking for it. You could even free yourself of your cursed bracelet and “win” the game by escaping exile.

quoting this because i just started playing isles of siptah on the goon server and i'm trying to drum up a few more players so i can feel like i'm doing "anything, at all"

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Oh man, the ever-present urge to dive back into UnReal World has grown too strong for me to endure. Assuming I don't get dragged into anything tonight, I reckon I'm gonna resume my old save. (I was like, 75% through building a semi-permanent kota. Mostly just regular kota, but with two walls in an L-shape as log joining with the kota frame, instead of fur. So if/when I migrate east for the Annual Njerpez Purge, I'll just pull the furs off and make a smaller kota in the field, then put them back when I return)

What I'm wondering though, is has anyone tried the beta update? If so, does it work well with existing saves, or does it assume that you'll start a new game for it? Since I wouldn't mind new features (sadly he hasn't implemented the animal droppings for tracking I suggested to him a while back - hopefully it'll happen in the next 20-30 years! :v:) however if it's gonna interfere with my current game, I'll go without

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Major Isoor posted:

What I'm wondering though, is has anyone tried the beta update? If so, does it work well with existing saves, or does it assume that you'll start a new game for it? Since I wouldn't mind new features (sadly he hasn't implemented the animal droppings for tracking I suggested to him a while back - hopefully it'll happen in the next 20-30 years! :v:) however if it's gonna interfere with my current game, I'll go without

This is only second hand from having someone streaming the new update on as background noise, but it updates your stuff forward for the new content afaik. For example, all fishing rods you have will automatically get an iron hook attached to them.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Not everything can be updated though. Villages generated before now wont have the new female children, and a few other bits and pieces like that.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hmm, it might be best to start again then, I guess. Hopefully I can find something valuable, then find a trader to get an iron sword, then I can start carving a bloody path through east Finland.

Maybe I could destroy all the houses in one of their villages bar one, then live in it? Or if they have lots of furs, steal them and make my own kota in their territory. Hmm...if I DO start living in one of their semi-razed villages, do more Njerps spawn in/migrate to it? That might create some awkward surprises for everyone involved, if so :v:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Oh, sorry for the DP, but (regarding URW again of course) has anyone noticed whether pulling/shooting arrows straight from your pack has any accuracy penalties over putting it into your offhand slot first, then shooting it? Since from memory the latter takes an extra 'turn' to do...so is it actually worthwhile, or just a waste of time?

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
I've started playing Valheim, and this is actually really fun for a survival sim.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Valheim led me to Conan and i'm really enjoying that too. With a friend, of course.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
In addition to my small query above, I've got another question regarding Unreal World, for any who are prepared to humour me. Since this question might be a little pointless/unimportant I suppose - I'm mostly trying to think about how to optimize (for lack of better words) my gear. Since I want it lightweight for travel, but also reasonable enough for when I inevitably find myself fighting the Njerpez. Which will happen.

So yeah, in addition to the above I'll have a round shield, a broad sword (or failing that, a short sword or a scimitar I guess) and probably either a bow+arrows or a few homemade javelins, along with some assorted tools.
I think for the warmer seasons that shouldn't be too bad. Since before I attack a camp of Njerps (so far I've only taken out one village, across my various URW games) I'll stash all of my provisions etc nearby, so I'm light on my feet.

But yeah, I haven't really gone full roaming soldier before, so I'm not sure if that's either not enough, or too much. I mean, I could go for a hauberk or something, but according to the wiki they add a shitload of weight, so I feel I'm probably better to leave groin protection to my fur leggings, and hope I don't cop an arrow down there. I could potentially also switch the forearm guards for fur mittens (covering hands+forearms), but hard to say - I feel my sword arm would be fairly easily wounded if I do that.
Also, I'm not sure if wool clothing is a good choice. Previously I just wore whatever I had, which is why I picked wool, as it's good for heat retention. But I guess I could make a leather shirt (or perhaps a leather cuirass to go between the wool shirt and lamellar, as an extra layer?) since that might help with blocking damage - at the cost of warmth.

So yeah, as I said earlier, this line of questioning probably isn't the most important! Especially if I simply cop a spear to my neck or something, and bleed out as a result. :v: But I'm kinda setting this run-through as a challenge mode, so I want to be as well prepared as possible I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Why not just get a pack animal to carry the heavy stuff for you? Slows you down too much, still?

Edit: Would a dog even slow you down at all? Thats 70 more pounds of supplies.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jul 6, 2021