Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Extremely pleased by the emphatic I am not done with this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

One thing I've been wondering, since Tea's mentioned a powerup that lets you go through acid... if you can get to the teacher that way instead, and you don't use the shade cloak, that means you could open the black egg temple and get an ending without ever visiting the Abyss at all?

That seems like it would make the ending feel a lot different, to go in without that perspective. Would it be the same ending? Figure it can't hurt to ask since we're past that point already.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Bifauxnen posted:

One thing I've been wondering, since Tea's mentioned a powerup that lets you go through acid... if you can get to the teacher that way instead, and you don't use the shade cloak, that means you could open the black egg temple and get an ending without ever visiting the Abyss at all?

That seems like it would make the ending feel a lot different, to go in without that perspective. Would it be the same ending? Figure it can't hurt to ask since we're past that point already.

Same ending, and yeah, The Shade Cloak, the King's Brand that gets you into the abyss, and even technically the Monarch Wings are all optional for getting the base ending.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The Dark Souls influence definitely shows here. The Temple of the Black Egg has a very similar feel to the Kiln of the First Flame - and if you haven't been down the Abyss and haven't been thinking about the plot much you probably won't have any idea why you're fighting the Hollow Knight or what's going on in the ending, just like you don't know why Gwyn is a withered old man sitting in cinders and why you end the game setting yourself on fire.

Although it is at least easy to pick up the gist of what's going on. A big problem was sealed away (the whole plot is about breaking those seals), despite the seal Hallownest fell anyway, and finally you end up re-sealing it all inside yourself. All you're missing is the fact you were specifically made to do this. And, for that matter, what the big problem specifically is, which Nat hasn't found out yet either.

Tenebrais fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Jun 27, 2021

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i feel like you would really have to go out of your way to miss the abyss. i’m not exactly an observant or smart person and I found it completely by dumb luck. twice.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
The main thing which could cause you to miss it is if you reach the Kingdom’s edge before getting the monarch wings, don’t find Hornet’s second boss fight and the King’s Brand as a result, and just never decide to go back and explore that exit on your map.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Tenebrais posted:

Although it is at least easy to pick up the gist of what's going on. A big problem was sealed away (the whole plot is about breaking those seals), despite the seal Hallownest fell anyway, and finally you end up re-sealing it all inside yourself. All you're missing is the fact you were specifically made to do this. And, for that matter, what the big problem specifically is, which Nat hasn't found out yet either.

Not sure we're quite there yet. We've seen the place of our birth and there are some implications as to how we came about, but no one's said explicitly what the origin and purpose of the Knight and ourself is.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Dareon posted:

Not sure we're quite there yet. We've seen the place of our birth and there are some implications as to how we came about, but no one's said explicitly what the origin and purpose of the Knight and ourself is.

The how part definitely still seems like a big mystery to me. The entrance to the Abyss did mention that stuff about the Vessel though, and the "refuse and regret of its creation", so that's already implied enough to guess that all our Vessel Buddies were made for this. Of course I'm still not 100% on what "this" is, exactly.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Bifauxnen posted:

Of course I'm still not 100% on what "this" is, exactly.
What we've seen the Hollow Knight fail at (spoilers for things we've seen but not necessarily noticed) - containing the orange plague. There is actually a clue in Hollow Knight's design: if you look at his head, you can see a crack in there (and in the bad ending, you see the orange fire in our protagonist's head). It isn't too much of a stretch to assume the crack is how the plague got out. Also, you can see a similar crack on the Broken Vessel.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jun 27, 2021

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Bifauxnen posted:

Of course I'm still not 100% on what "this" is, exactly.

While the Seer or the Pale Lady may still have some dialogue to this effect, Nat did miss out on a clue by not checking on Myla before the Crossroads became infected. If you Dreamnail her, it shows that there is an intelligence behind the orange infection

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Queen's Garden is probably my favorite zone in the entire game.

Not the least of which: "MARMU!!"

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Like Space Jump, Marmu is all about timing.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

You finally got the third spell! The reason you didn't before is that you needed the mantis claw to get up there, and you never came back that way after the very first time you came to Fog Canyon before even finishing the greenpath.

I think with the acid swimming upgrade you can get into Queen's Gardens without the shade cloak, but I'm pretty sure you need the shade cloak to finish the area.

Surprised to see Cornifer had already moved on when you got there. I wonder what triggers him to leave. Could it be a consequence of reaching the Hollow Knight first? Either way that certainly didn't help in your quest to find the stag station that defines half of Queen's Gardens.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Like Space Jump, Marmu is all about timing.

This is why Nat does not share my love of Necrodancer :cheeky:

Pretty sure Marmu and a lot of other stuff in this game would totally kick my rear end, though.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I was thinking about why I consider Queen's Gardens my favorite area. There's a few factors.

1) The music is excellent. A serene yet foreboding energy flows through it.
2) The look of it. I think it's nice that after having the generic early-game foresty area that they went back to it with a more beautiful yet deadly reprise. It feels kind of nice to have a place with an aesthetic like this near the endgame.
3) It's tough! Not that that's what I tend to look for in my qualifications, but since you need quite a few late-game upgrades to even touch this place they didn't hold back in making it fun and risky to explore. Both in terms of combat and platforming, and how they intermingle... it's quite well-designed in that respect I think.

Crystal Peak would be my second favorite area for its aesthetic and the importance of the super dash you get there leading into basically most of the rest of the cool upgrades. But Queen's Gardens will always feel special to me. I think what I remember most about it is finding it and thinking wait, there's another entire area in this corner?! This game always delivers.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Spikes are cool.

Buzzsaws less so.

It's also interesting noting which areas have the hard, shiny spikes of iron, tooth, or chitin and which have the thorny, unbounceable orange spikes. ...It is pretty much just Queen's Gardens and a few neighboring areas with the thorns, but along with the presence of the Mantis Traitors, it gives the impression that the thorny growth is invasive and possibly stems from the same corruption as the Fanta Pustules in the other infected zones. The fact that the design of the thorns seems to have wrapped itself around the normal scenery and blocked off certain passages as well.

Marmu is one of my favorite Warrior Dreams. He's just adorable.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
If you jump during the Marmu fight, you're doing it wrong. Just juggle it!

Queen's Gardens is very cool but it's probably the toughest area of the game. Lots of vertical fighting with the drop-away platforms and spikes.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
you unlocked the dreamgate, which seems useless but you also just came up to the traitor lord and using the dreamgate to put a tp marker right before the fight means you can warp to it and skip all the jumping bs

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

you unlocked the dreamgate, which seems useless but you also just came up to the traitor lord and using the dreamgate to put a tp marker right before the fight means you can warp to it and skip all the jumping bs

might want to edit that out, since it's actually in the next video.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jun 29, 2021

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Marmu rules

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Alxprit posted:

I think what I remember most about it is finding it and thinking wait, there's another entire area in this corner?!
The late availability of the Fog Canyon map probably doesn't help with realising that there's another area to the west of it.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

I remembered where the stag station was so Nat searching for it then choosing to fight the warrior dream that is actually fairly tough your first time encountering it, when the entrance was just there was beautiful. :allears:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Marluxia posted:

I remembered where the stag station was so Nat searching for it then choosing to fight the warrior dream that is actually fairly tough your first time encountering it, when the entrance was just there was beautiful. :allears:

I was hoping that Nat would get lost and stumble into the Traitor Lord while trying to get back to his shade. And also somehow beat the Traitor Lord on his first attempt

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Marmu is all about just spamming your spells, imo.

Queen's Garden is fun, but also a place that is kind of hell if you haven't upgraded your nail for stupid reasons. Though you get to farm more soul off the enemies if they don't die as fast. Haha.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

For all the talk about Dreamgate not having a lot of places where it's really helpful, the death run for Traitor Lord is probably the place I've used it the most. Getting there is just kind of a pain, especially when you're frustrated and impatient.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!

Tenebrais posted:

For all the talk about Dreamgate not having a lot of places where it's really helpful, the death run for Traitor Lord is probably the place I've used it the most. Getting there is just kind of a pain, especially when you're frustrated and impatient.

There's a funny thing about Dreamgate: after you use it, the drop rate of essence from enemies skyrockets to make it easier to get that essence that got used on it back. Makes it feel a lot more worth using.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Traitor Lord is a nasty fight but it's even worse as a solo battle, for whatever reason I only met Cloth once and she didn't come in to help me here.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Traitor Lord is also 100% blocked (as in you can't get to their arena without) by Shade Cloak, which it why it's willing to put those shockwaves in. (Arguably good against it's rushes too.)

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Epicmissingno posted:

There's a funny thing about Dreamgate: after you use it, the drop rate of essence from enemies skyrockets to make it easier to get that essence that got used on it back. Makes it feel a lot more worth using.

I had no idea. That actually brings to mind a low percentage playthrough that involved farming the same room for 40 hours in order to get enough essence to get the awakened dreamnail. I wonder if he could have gotten a faster return by occasionally dreamgating (or does the buff wear off after you get one essence)?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

SirPhoebos posted:

I had no idea. That actually brings to mind a low percentage playthrough that involved farming the same room for 40 hours in order to get enough essence to get the awakened dreamnail. I wonder if he could have gotten a faster return by occasionally dreamgating (or does the buff wear off after you get one essence)?

The drop rate depends on how much Essence you've gotten as a random drop vs. how much you've spent on dreamgates. The boosted drop rate only occurs if the dreamgate spend number is bigger than the random drop number.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

So it's basically free. Even spending 1 at a time you'd really have to be abusing it past the point of ridiculousness to make the spenditure matter. Dreamgate is very useful and there is one more situation where it will be directly helpful even beyond Traitor Lord, and this isn't really a spoiler anymore - have one right at where the flower quest starts so you can go back there immediately if/when you fail.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
For the Delicate Flower quest, I put the warp in front of the Grey Mourner then didn't take the flower. See, what you do is, first you take your path all the way to the grave and clear out all of the enemies, then you warp back to the Grey Mourner and do the quest. It's so much easier when you aren't being ambushed by aspids or whatever

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
I placed my dreamgate in Dirtmouth so that I could tele back to base whenever I wanted.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Mine's in the Junk Pit. Though I have used it in a few different places before.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Fun fact, the Traitor Lord was actually buffed by one of the DLCs. In the original release it was just an oversized version of the Mantis enemies in the Gardens, and only later did the devs give it those projectiles and double damage.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

I'd like to present this conversation from Discord. One spoilered bit as it contains something that at least as of the episodes posted here, I don't think Nat has fully figured out yet.

[20:22] a: one thing i found kinda funny about Hollow Knight is that for being a Metroidvania, a lot of the movement felt like Mega Man X to my hands, haha
[20:23] a: megtroidmania x
[20:23] Kenny: It's understandable with the dash and walljump really
[20:24] Kenny: The dude doing the blind LP on the forum of it actually compared it to Mega Man as well
[20:25] a: Super fighting vessel, Hollow Knight
[20:25] a: oh god
[20:26] Kenny: Also this conversation is just making me want MMX Corrupted even more
[20:26] Kenny: In the Uumuu fight they called Quirrel "The Zero to your X" but really if anyone's the Zero to The Vessel's X it's Hornet.
[20:27] a: narrative wise, you’re the artificial construct produced by a patriarch whose legacy is all around you, fighting a corrupting force…
[20:28] a: also yeah, haha Silksong is totally ‘this time you get to play the really cool one’
[20:28] a: i love the hornet fights
[20:28] Kenny: They're good
[20:29] Kenny: ...and The Hollow Knight himself is Sigma, then
[20:29] Kenny: Originally one of your kind, but was infected by the virus
[20:30] a: tiny brain: hollow knight is metroidvania, regular brain: hollow knight is dark souls, big brain: hollow knight is mega man x

Anyway.

I started a new file in Hollow Knight last week and finished up this week, my second playthrough, the first one having been years ago when only the Hidden Dreams update was out (and I did the Grimm Troupe content afterwards when that was released). I considered using a mod for the map since I really dislike HK's map system, but apparently the modding API had broken with a patch from last month. Instead I edited my save file to make the Wayward Compass and Gathering Swarm cost no charm notches to equip, the Compass because I maintain that that should have been a passive all along and the Swarm just cuts down on the busywork that is gathering currency. I found that edit to improve the game, at least for me. This time around I actually fought The Radiance too, which I had not done last time around, and found some other stuff I had missed on my first go. Including The Path of Pain which was certainly something.

Then I got to the Godmaster content. It was emphatically not for me, so now I'm just waiting for Silksong.

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 1, 2021

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Edit : Fixed that Failed to spoiler mark a name near the end there. Otherwise good points, (though I don't find the map bad once you realise you can place pins from the menu map in areas where you don't have the map.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Tylana posted:

Edit : Fixed that Failed to spoiler mark a name near the end there. Otherwise good points, (though I don't find the map bad once you realise you can place pins from the menu map in areas where you don't have the map.)
Yeah, fixed it, used the Discord spoiler tag lol

The map markers actually didn't exist during my first playthrough! They were added in the Lifeblood update, which came after Grimm Troupe. Which, looking at release dates, seems to actually have come out during my first playthrough, not after it. But Lifeblood and thus the markers came a few months after I had beaten the game the first time.

My beef with the map is mostly that I find it to be several layers of inconvenience stacked on top of each other—having to find Cornifer and buy the map in each area, it only updating at benches, the Compass using a charm notch... it really didn't need all of that.

Edit: Also, while this isn't something that I generally have found to be a problem, at least once I was got by it filling in entire big rooms even if you've just stepped into it a little, since a thing I was missing was in a place that, looking at the map, I thought I had already been to when I hadn't.

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jul 1, 2021