Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

A game of SWAT has its place. Not in any of my games though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I picked up The Master Chief Collection from the Stream sale due to nostalgia and binged through Halo 1&2 this weekend. I think Halo 1 holds up pretty well.

Halo 2 came off worse than I remembered. On normal difficulty the first half was a cake walk and then the difficulty leaps straight upward for those last three/four missions with a lot of cheap one-shots that really frustrated me.

I also encountered a really bad bug in the level Quarantine. When riding the moving platform you're sudden thrown off it at maximum speed when it changes direction from forward to up. Additionally on that same platform dual-wielding was glitched, so the fire of a weapon in the left hand was showing up on the right hand side.

The new graphics were pretty and mostly great, but to dark in some places that made it hard enough to see that I would switch back to classic mode. Music audio was noticably louder to the point where it was hard to hear NPCs talking.

Still had a good time and a dipped into a few rounds of Firefight which continue to own. Onto Halo 3.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Halo 3s probably my favorite campaign. Halo 1 follows but some of its map design is awful. 343 Guilty Spark and The Library are just abysmal.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I enjoyed 16 player multi a lot more in H1/H2 where the maps were truly gigantic and open. H3 and Reach are full of maps like Valhalla, Standoff, Highlands, Tempest which are too big for low player counts and do have vehicles but are so cramped and bumpy they seem determined to punish you for using them. At least H3 still had Sandtrap and Avalanche. I can’t think of a single Reach map where I want to get in a car.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I loving hate Tempest.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

A lot of Reach's maps get a lot better with AR starts instead of DMR starts so you can actually walk five feet outside your base and not die

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

General Battuta posted:

I loving hate Tempest.

At least it’s not Spire!

“What if we made a whole gigantic rear end map full of canyons and giant boulders and multiple bases and poo poo. Then all that poo poo turned out to be irrelevant spawn locations you leave as quickly as possible so you can take the lift up to where the REAL action is, in a single circular room the size of a postage stamp” —Bungie, 2010

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

A lot of Reach's maps get a lot better with AR starts instead of DMR starts so you can actually walk five feet outside your base and not die

Kind of, but otoh this has a tendency to make every match start with a mad rush for the DMR spawn so you can actually fight instead of being saddled with a worthless popgun

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The only BTB maps on Reach that are worth a drat are the community made Forge maps. Most of them are ugly as sin due to Reach's Forge having minimal assets but at least the maps are functional.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Is there a discord for playing co-op and firefight with goons? I don't see any Halo section in the discord linked in the OP.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
if there is, let me know and ill add the discord to the OP

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

OhFunny posted:

The new graphics were pretty and mostly great, but to dark in some places that made it hard enough to see that I would switch back to classic mode.

Going to recant this part since it turns out my mother, who's been using my PC for work while my parents stay with me, turned my monitor' gamma way down before I started playing.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Reach has the Blood Gulch remake which is good.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I feel like Halo 2's Coagulation was the best version of Blood Gulch

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

2's version of the bases with the basements were better, but 2A's overall design is best imo. Reach is okay and has a little bit of natural cover but 2A's just works better.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
You can’t beat Halo PC Blood Gulch, between the rocket hog and the fuel rod duels there was just so much to gently caress around with. Never ending CTF hangout and chill

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Tighclops posted:

I feel like Halo 2's Coagulation was the best version of Blood Gulch

General Battuta posted:

You can’t beat Halo PC Blood Gulch, between the rocket hog and the fuel rod duels there was just so much to gently caress around with. Never ending CTF hangout and chill

this the Halo multi hyperstatic union

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I do enjoy H2A multiplayer because it feels like what Halo 4 multi should be doing. I just wish it, like 4, wasn't so drat ugly with the blurry textures and flat lighting.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

H2A remake maps look great to me but some of them, especially the Sanctuary and Lockout remakes, prioritize cool lighting over usability to a stupid degree. e: Warlock remake too

The new/Forge maps are just the same butt ugly mono colored prefab everything in a butt ugly blank space that Halo has been doing since the H3 DLC.

skasion fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jun 29, 2021

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Yeah it's almost pitch black half the time in H2A

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Getting tired of lovely matchmaking leading to stacked teams. What are some good game types in the custom games browser so I can kick back and not want to gouge out my teammates' eyes?

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Curious if anyone has any recs for the above as well.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

It's not a custom game but if you put a piece of tape over the score in the corner and turn voice chat off any game becomes a great casual experience.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Getting tired of lovely matchmaking leading to stacked teams. What are some good game types in the custom games browser so I can kick back and not want to gouge out my teammates' eyes?

Play FFA, that way you can hate everyone equally

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I really hope DMRs are not a default start in infinite

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I don't think DMRs are going to be in Infinite.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Not sure what the dynamic will be between the AR and the Commando since they're both assault rifles. But leave the BR as your ranged weapon and maybe make the DMR a pickup like the sniper so you can't start with the drat thing.

Unless the Commando is taking the spot of the SMG which I hope means we get an SMG that isn't useless beyond two feet directly in front of you.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jun 29, 2021

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

I finished up Halo 3's campaign. It's still great with cool set pieces. The only real drags are Cortana and Gravemind interrupting the flow by slowing you down when their voiceovers happen.

Truth's voice actor being different is really jarring when playing Halo 2&3 back-to-back. The one in 2 is just perfect. The new one sounds like his voice has gone hoarse.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Truth’s whole character changes with the voice actor. Michael Wincott always sounds like he’s above it all and up to some other poo poo. I fully expected Truth to be playing 5D chess with the universe and I remember being really disappointed with where 3 went with him.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yeah Michael Wincott IS Truth while Terence Stamp is doing his British thug routine with a much weaker script.

I just realized that the Mark V chestpiece in Halo 4 has a handle on the back. I get the practicality of having a handle on the armour if you're getting dragged to safety but it looks silly when it's just bolted onto the back.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

skasion posted:

Truth’s whole character changes with the voice actor. Michael Wincott always sounds like he’s above it all and up to some other poo poo. I fully expected Truth to be playing 5D chess with the universe and I remember being really disappointed with where 3 went with him.

Time for Halo Infinite to reveal that in fact the Halo 3 Prophet of Truth was a decoy and the real Truth is still alive and behind the Banished.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjRPP6Dv5kg

He is just so good in Halo 2.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jul 1, 2021

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I started Halo 5's campaign for the first time. First two levels take: Holy poo poo is this loving terrible. For my issues with Halo 4, at least it felt like Halo, if lesser than the Bungie set. This just feels like some other scifi game that's jank as hell. The characters using all of the book names for Covenant after never using them for 6 previous games is super goofy. I'm guessing part of why Infinite is taking so long is needing to do a complete reset from whatever 343 had planned to follow up this.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Actually the first time that an actual covenant species name was used ingame happens in ODST when a pair of grunts are complaining about the Yanme'e (drones/buggers) not bothering to help them find the Virgil Engineer because they're too busy building a Hive. Not that this excuses how awkward it sounds in Halo 5 but that's because the script for Halo 5 is balls.

Halo Wars 2 remains the best game to come out during the 343 Industries era because Crrwtive Assembly are cool developers and whoever wrote the story for that game knew what makes Halo fun.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

In retrospect it's kind of lol they built a hive on the planet they were planning on glassing

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They weren't planning on glassing Earth, Regret's fleet didn't even realize the portal to the Ark was on Earth when they first arrived. They just thought it was a Forerunner planet and poo poo themselves when they ran into the most heavily defended human world they'd ever seen.

What is lol is that they decided to build a hive in the one spot on the planet where they were intentionally going to glass the surface while they excavated the portal under the city.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I'm getting near the end of Halo 5 and fighting with the sword aliens from planet sword through their sword temples. The Elites must have joined the Covenant so they would have a second color in their lives other than brown.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

I finished up ODST and Reach.

ODST is a very interesting entry for the Bungie Halo games. An open world that you move around and find items that trigger playable flashback levels with different characters until you converge on the present. I had forgotten how haunting the slow jazz is as you move through the ruined city at night. Such a different feel from the music of the other games that makes you feel like an unstoppable hero. Here you're just another solider; fighting a losing war.

The ODST crew's characterization was more substantial than I remembered. It's not a lot, but each gets to show their personality. Which is helped by them saying something when they switch weapons, kill Covenant, throw grenades, etc. It's a nice touch and is a good contrast to the stone silence of the Master Chief.

As for Reach. Noble Six spoke way more in cutscenes than I remembered. I thought they were completely silent, but must of confused them for the Rookie. The Spartans outside Jorge don't get much in the way of characterization before the inevitable. They mostly speak to military lingo. It's regrettable that they're so forgettable.

The gameplay was good with some nice set pieces.

I kinda wish we had gotten more ODST games.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
ODST is very good and hilariously based around Bungie's favorite thing, going backwards through a level at night but for half the game.

I finished Halo 5. It had 1 good new idea for the campaign, make the characters more agile, which isn't that well implemented. The drop from the sky and the boost dodge never felt useful. For that 1 idea, everything else was a clusterfuck of stupid choices. Repeating the Mass Effect 3 ending of organics vs AIs feels completely batshit to have done in 2015. I wonder how much Infinite will acknowledge the plot at all. Cortana trying to rule the galaxy with her army of off brand Reapers doesn't really fit with anything that 343 has shown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

I decided to try to do the master chief playlist and noticed something. Halo 1 has a lot of minor changes on normal. For example pillar of autumn has a route blocked by a door that Cortana tells you to punch open, a mechanic that isn't ever used again. Some of the exits in the Not Jeffries Tubes section are locked forcing you to go the long way. Truth and Reconciliation calls out a grunt running towards a turret, a feature that is also never used again.

I also noticed the game is really boring and easy on normal and am annoyed that the biggest playlist locked to that difficulty.