Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Nastier Nate posted:

How does dynamic pricing on a LCD display even make sense? The price is determined by the bar code when you bring it to the register…not what a sign on the shelf says

idk about other states but in California you're required to give people the lowest advertised price. signs out of date? too bad dipshit, you gotta manually ring it up now. so i could see this just causing huge problems if made widespread cuz I'm sure the pricing will be set by Coke or something and the screen won't talk to the PoS controller that actually processes UPCs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Larry Parrish posted:

idk about other states but in California you're required to give people the lowest advertised price. signs out of date? too bad dipshit, you gotta manually ring it up now. so i could see this just causing huge problems if made widespread cuz I'm sure the pricing will be set by Coke or something and the screen won't talk to the PoS controller that actually processes UPCs

Sounds like an extremely good argument for making it all a subscription based service. Our Bangladeshi slaves will adjust your prices upwards in real time!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

This is only an intermediary step. The next one is individual personalised prices based on the information Facebook just sold us on you.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

social media credit

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

social media credit

Kinda. Like, if our algorithm tags you as an 'influencer' with lots of connections then obviously we want to get our branded product in your hands so we gotta undercut the competition. But if it says that you just come off a ten-hour shift then you're probably feeling pretty desperate for a drink and will pay a bit of a markup...

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

this is a genius idea its not like humans are the audience for web ads

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/MannistoM/status/775206852476997633?s=20

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Oh man of I spend 2 minutes looking at the door and they they start playing the theme from ‘love boat’ then charges me $8 for a Sprite then:
1-‘they’ have my number and if I’m high $8 seems ok for a Sprite
2-I started posting this as a joke now my headphones across the room are playing some variant of the Love Boat theme help.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
the LCD screen mis-identifies me as booj and shows a hidden shelf with adrenochrome infused kombucha beverages, a fail-safe triggers as i try to open the door, locking it and setting off an alarm. police arrive and put two into my back and drop a fake gun at my side.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1409832372518989826?s=20

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

lmao

bleeding kansas
Nov 15, 2019
there are thousands of valid IDs available on the cloud and anyone can download them. they're all stored in AWS S3 buckets, and the only reason they're there in the first place is because small businesses loving suck

if you drive at work, your company probably has a copy of your license. if you travel at work, they might have your passport. some of them have bank information. they all have tax information. its gold when it comes to stealing identities and forging documents

what happens is some company needs to back up their file server. the easiest and cheapest way to do it is to throw everything in a bucket. but a lot small businesses don't have the budget to hire people who know what they're doing. so some contractor runs the backup without really understanding cloud security and dumps the entire HR department online

you might think that'd be easy to catch, but it's not. it's like enabling link sharing on google drive. yeah you know technically anyone can read what you're sharing, but the URL isn't publicly available and nobody links to it. if you're a dipshit working at a tiny IT shop, that's good enough

well all of that can be indexed, and it is. i wont post pics of the IDs, but check this out

if you got your identity stolen it might have been because your boss is cheap

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Looking forward to paying a subscription fee to eat solid food.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

RandolphCarter posted:

Looking forward to paying a subscription fee to eat solid food.

You pay nothing. However it will only unlock if you present a food packet with a current and unrevoked QR ID. (Participating brands only)

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

Love to asphyxiate on the vomitus that's unable to exit my mouth

Love to have a field cricothyrotomy performed bc the EMTs cant open my mouth to intubate

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Thish worksh great!

*falls down unexpectedly* Aahhhhhh, gently caress. I ripped out 4 teeth!

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

it's annoying that centipedes don't have 100 legs and millipedes don't have 1,000

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

bleeding kansas posted:

there are thousands of valid IDs available on the cloud and anyone can download them. they're all stored in AWS S3 buckets, and the only reason they're there in the first place is because small businesses loving suck

if you drive at work, your company probably has a copy of your license. if you travel at work, they might have your passport. some of them have bank information. they all have tax information. its gold when it comes to stealing identities and forging documents

what happens is some company needs to back up their file server. the easiest and cheapest way to do it is to throw everything in a bucket. but a lot small businesses don't have the budget to hire people who know what they're doing. so some contractor runs the backup without really understanding cloud security and dumps the entire HR department online

you might think that'd be easy to catch, but it's not. it's like enabling link sharing on google drive. yeah you know technically anyone can read what you're sharing, but the URL isn't publicly available and nobody links to it. if you're a dipshit working at a tiny IT shop, that's good enough

well all of that can be indexed, and it is. i wont post pics of the IDs, but check this out

if you got your identity stolen it might have been because your boss is cheap

You'd think there'd be an enterprising lawyer just cold calling these people until they find one so they can sue the boss

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

HootTheOwl posted:

You'd think there'd be an enterprising lawyer just cold calling these people until they find one so they can sue the boss

a truly enterprising lawyer would be providing this info to data thieves then calling the employees

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

oh no I used my phone on the wrong side of my head and it wiped my hard drive

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

HootTheOwl posted:

how would that lawsuit even work when the boss can just say "every business shitlord in this braindead hell country has lax security toward personal information, you can't prove *our* fuckup is the one that got your identity stolen and not experian or whatever other breach"

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

The Lone Badger posted:

You pay nothing. However it will only unlock if you present a food packet with a current and unrevoked QR ID. (Participating brands only)

Yeah that sounds more likely

vyelkin posted:

oh no I used my phone on the wrong side of my head and it wiped my hard drive

I didn’t read the article but I imagine the device has to be attached on both sides to be effective

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/arstechnica/status/1409554951391621120

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
this is ideal form of capitalism. nothing but Jeff Bezos, his laptop, and an endless sea of temp workers being hired and fired by algorithm every day

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Rutibex posted:

this is ideal form of capitalism. nothing but Jeff Bezos, his laptop, and an endless sea of temp workers being hired and fired by algorithm every day

that laptop is reducing our margin. how can we reduce this to jeff bezos and pure number going up

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Someone pointed out earlier, I think it was this thread, that the bosses can pinpoint a worker and tell the algorithm to sabotage their performance and then fire them. Thinking about a union? Pregnant? Sexually harassed by your boss? The AI that hands out tasks suddenly hands you all the difficult ones, and then you get fired the moment you fall 0.1% below the target rate.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
not super cyberpunk but definitely dystopian:

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

The Oldest Man posted:

that laptop is reducing our margin. how can we reduce this to jeff bezos and pure number going up

get a thin client and put a VM on AWS

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Chamale posted:

Someone pointed out earlier, I think it was this thread, that the bosses can pinpoint a worker and tell the algorithm to sabotage their performance and then fire them. Thinking about a union? Pregnant? Sexually harassed by your boss? The AI that hands out tasks suddenly hands you all the difficult ones, and then you get fired the moment you fall 0.1% below the target rate.

edit: eh point was made pretty well

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Wiring the jaw shut for weight loss purposes has been around for decades.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Nothus posted:

This, however, reminds of that male chastity belt thing. "Oops, your mouth got hacked!"

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
We've solved this long ago anyhow.

Insert McDonalds, have a double quarter smoothie.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

We've solved this long ago anyhow.

Insert McDonalds, have a double quarter smoothie.

:barf:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Nothus posted:

This claims to be better because with magnets it can be unlocked quickly in an emergency. Unless the emergency renders you unable to do it yourself and unable to explain how to do it to first responders who have never seen the thing before. Maybe wear a medic alert bracer with detailed instructions, I dunno.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Facebook Aunt posted:

This claims to be better because with magnets it can be unlocked quickly in an emergency. Unless the emergency renders you unable to do it yourself and unable to explain how to do it to first responders who have never seen the thing before. Maybe wear a medic alert bracer with detailed instructions, I dunno.

I want a medic alert bracer.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yeah but what’s more common and intuitive? Powerful magnets or a pair pf diagonal cutters?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

withak posted:

:same:
I figured the instructions for the weird magnet device wouldn't fit on just a bracelet.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

withak posted:

That's a vambrace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

That's a vambrace.

your mom's a vambrace