Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

dog nougat posted:

:hmmyes:

I've certainly cut back on my soda consumption, but it's still a guilty pleasure. Squirt is hands down my absolute fave, makes a great Paloma

Squirt, Baja Blast, and occasionally plain Mt Dew are p much the only sodas i drink anymore, and it's still super infrequently.

all my parents had in the house when i was growing up was diet coke, so i prefer it over regular coke, but nah i'll still pass on those 10/9 times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

I'd at least try a slice.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

"unleashes"

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Dareon posted:

I'd at least try a slice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6kPwBJ1wgE

I'd try one as well, but I actually like the thing they warping into a pizza topping. That said, I imagine it's going to be sweeter than I care for between the bbq sauce and peanut/sugar topping.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/foods/pigs-blood-cake-stick-taiwan

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

spankmeister posted:

A coke isn't a 1000 calories. Are you drinking it by the gallon?

:goonsay: :goonsay: :goonsay:

a 12 oz can of coke contains 140,000 calories. you may be thinking of Calories, the typical unit of measure on nutrition labels, which are equal to 1000 calories each

they made me suffer through calorimetry and stoich in high school and now you suffer tooooooooooooo

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

HookedOnChthonics posted:

a 12 oz can of coke contains 140,000 calories. you may be thinking of Calories, the typical unit of measure on nutrition labels, which are equal to 1000 calories each

they made me suffer through calorimetry and stoich in high school and now you suffer tooooooooooooo

Should have taught you it's kcal, or kilocalories, which means "1000 calories" :v:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

It's only on the biscuits, that's fine.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

FFT posted:

Thread-relevant but no pictures: Squirt used to be my absolute favorite too. Until I left an open one behind in the motel room during a Florida vacation with my grandparents when I was like 10.

Mouthful of ants ruined it for me.

bRoMiNaTeD vEgEtAbLe OiL

Yellow Yoshi
Apr 29, 2020

Figure 1: Mario's weird dog
the best diet drink is water :smug:
you can even get it in a cool fizzy variety so it feels more like soda

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

gschmidl posted:

Should have taught you it's kcal, or kilocalories, which means "1000 calories" :v:

ah but that would make for embarrassingly large numbers on the packaging. "100,000 calorie pack" just doesnt have the same ring

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
I see some packages that list things as kcal instead of just calories. It's typically on the front of the package with the basic info though.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Using calories instead of joules in the first place is dumb as poo poo tbh.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
If tea is in the mix, the best tea is iced with sweet n low, not sugar. Funnel that poo poo into my gaping southern maw.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

If tea is in the mix, the best tea is iced with sweet n low, not sugar. Funnel that poo poo into my gaping southern maw.

yeah my mom always used sweet n low so I also acquired the taste

Yellow Yoshi
Apr 29, 2020

Figure 1: Mario's weird dog

Mymla posted:

some countries list energy on food in kcal and in kJ, gotta start somewhere

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Mymla posted:

please regale me with the all the benefits of using joules instead of calories

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Aardvark! posted:

please regale me with the all the benefits of using joules instead of calories

It's easier to calculate how much work you can do using the energy.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Paladinus posted:

i'll be cursing my reticence when i have to figure out how many twinkies it takes to launch a Saturn V

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Paladinus posted:

What's the thermodynamic efficiency of a human body anyway?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

zedprime posted:

What's the thermodynamic efficiency of a human body anyway?

Something like 25% efficiency, if I remember biology right; metabolism burns a lot of that energy just to run.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Data Graham posted:

bRoMiNaTeD vEgEtAbLe OiL

Hahaha gently caress that's EXACTLY what my former beardo boomer coworker would say when I had a Dew.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Mountain Dew doesn't have brominated vegetable oil in it anymore

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
20-25% is the marginal efficiency of converting food energy to doing work with muscles. That's due to inefficiency in the various energy conversions (glucose to ATP to muscle output), not due to your base metabolism

If you include base metabolism: Humans can sustain about 75W of work over 8 hours, or 2100kJ, using about 8600kJ of extra food energy, on the background of about 8600kJ per day for base metabolism. That gives about 12% efficiency at turning food into mechanical work.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Mymla posted:

A Calorie is the energy needed to raise a liter of water by one degree C, and provides a conveniently sized unit that doesn't need decimals.

What's the problem?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
i think a lot of people confuse the Celsius/Fahrenheit and apparently kj/kcal arguments with metric/imperial. whereas metric is actually a direct improvement over imperial, the other two are basically 100% preference in daily use

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Mymla posted:

People who have a strong opinion one way or the other on coke/pepsi are loving weirdos.
Decades of marketing(with frequent emphasis on 'we're better than the other big soda brand') worked very well on people.

Content:

Yes, that's jello.

quote:

“Chicken sandwich” I ordered from a Dairy Queen in a small town. Not at all what I was expecting!

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

spankmeister posted:

A coke isn't a 1000 calories. Are you drinking it by the gallon?

On the one hand, that was hyperbole. On the other hand: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ish8NBunrQU&hd=1

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Haifisch posted:

Decades of marketing(with frequent emphasis on 'we're better than the other big soda brand') worked very well on people.

no you goober

One tastes very, very good to us

The other tastes very, very bad to us

I could 100% tell you the difference blindfolded between coke, diet coke, and diet pepsi

Now, why did I start drinking one over the other at home to get that way? (Because diet soda is definitely an acquired taste) sure, maybe marketing but you have to make some choice of what to buy.

They are very different though, if you like them. If you don't, sure they seem the same. I couldn't tell you one lager from another because I don't like lager, but I believe people who say they are different and have a preference

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Aardvark! posted:

i think a lot of people confuse the Celsius/Fahrenheit and apparently kj/kcal arguments with metric/imperial. whereas metric is actually a direct improvement over imperial, the other two are basically 100% preference in daily use

Celsius is a lot better than Fahrenheit if you need it to be extremely easy to remember the boiling and freezing points of water instead of just very easy.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Aardvark! posted:

i'll be cursing my reticence when i have to figure out how many twinkies it takes to launch a Saturn V

The Saturn V produces 61.08 Twinkies/meter at launch.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

The Bloop posted:

no you goober

One tastes very, very good to us

The other tastes very, very bad to us

I could 100% tell you the difference blindfolded between coke, diet coke, and diet pepsi

Now, why did I start drinking one over the other at home to get that way? (Because diet soda is definitely an acquired taste) sure, maybe marketing but you have to make some choice of what to buy.

They are very different though, if you like them. If you don't, sure they seem the same. I couldn't tell you one lager from another because I don't like lager, but I believe people who say they are different and have a preference
It's not that I don't believe you, it's that people can't seem to stop themselves from shouting about which one they like more every time soda comes up. It's like if every time frozen pizza came up the thread devolved into 3 pages of arguing about Digiorno vs Red Baron.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Haifisch posted:

Content:
Yes, that's jello.

These made me physically recoil! Thanks!

The loving hair in the sushi made me gag.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Haifisch posted:

It's not that I don't believe you, it's that people can't seem to stop themselves from shouting about which one they like more every time soda comes up. It's like if every time frozen pizza came up the thread devolved into 3 pages of arguing about Digiorno vs Red Baron.

I would gladly read that derail.

There is actually a really cheap wal*mart brand rising crust pizza that is pretty drat good if you throw a bit of seasoning on it. Less than half the price of those guys

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Aardvark! posted:

whereas metric is actually a direct improvement over imperial

It's not, the only reason to use metric is that it's the standard. No one in Canada has ever gone "oh poo poo I'm five foot ten inches and Winnipeg is 1100 kilometres away, better die because this is uncomprehensible nonsense"

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They do taste different but Pepsi tastes better

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

The Bloop posted:

no you goober

I think the person with very strong opinions about which brand of highly caffeinated aspartame laced imitation sugar water they pour down their gullet doesn't get to call other people goobers

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Butterfly Valley posted:

I think the person with very strong opinions about which brand of highly caffeinated aspartame laced imitation sugar water they pour down their gullet doesn't get to call other people goobers

Nobody cares what you think, goober.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Goober peas = good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Put your goober peas into your Coke for a sweet treat.