Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I vaguely remember something like that being mentioned when I was at school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

sebzilla posted:

We can grow peaches and then the millions of climate refugees can pick them for us. Win-win.

Until the gulf stream shifts and we all freeze, anyway.

Yeah we arent going to get warmer. We're going to get northern-Norway colder. And also half the country will be underwater.

Better opportunities for fishing, new jobs in the igloo construction industry!

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Sure going to enjoy the new wine market for tiny bitter grapes from in the unique microclimate of an estate in dagenham, harvested in the 3 days while it was sunny before snap frost kills the entire crop.

Chatea Baz.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
It's funny until you realise that all UK population centres are in some way coastal, and nothing is being done to mitigate for sea level rises. Good job I can't afford to buy a house and don't have to worry about it going all atlantis on me.

Plus the top 1/3 of the landmass that is actually rising is fully owned by like 3 or 4 absolute psychopaths.

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Jul 1, 2021

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Look, you're just ignoring the silver lining to this situation!

*furiously scrubs at thick layer of tarnish, entire silver lining falls to bits*

Stop being so negative!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

learnincurve posted:

Battle hymn of the republic being a anti-slavery civil war song and not about the republicans goes wooooooooooosh over maga heads as well.

I mean it is about the Republicans. Just the good ones a century and a half ago, not the current lot.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I do wish Lincoln had lived. It's amazing how much damage one whey faced dickhead managed to cause.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Disruption and weakening of gulf stream is a real possibility for us. Instead of turning in the the med, we could end up with much wilder weather.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I will never stop enjoying the "Democrats invented slavery and were stopped by the greatest American, Republican Abraham Lincoln, who was a tyrant who hated the South who only wanted states' rights, and besides the slaves were better off than if they were left in Africa, and it was only the racism of the Democrat KKK and Jim Crow that oppressed them, but businesses should be free to do that if they want" knots that the current Republicans get themselves in over that.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I think the fact that for so many years 'climate change' was referred to as 'global warming' and that is what has stuck in the heads of older people who don't get that that is probably not a good thing (a barmy Britain, what's not to love!), and whats more the climate doesn't distinguish between nation states.

"Oh and you woke folk always going on about polar bears, look, in this downward trend of decades of thawing ice floes, a couple of years ago the ice expanded and oh look more polar bears." Because 1 extra polar bear means global climate change is a liberal lefty woke lie.

What I have found truly bizarre is one or two friends who are heavily into anti-govt and anti-big business conspiracy theories are also into 'climate change is a lie' when the only people who benefit from believing it is a lie are .. govt and big business!

Piccy of polar bears because - why not. I used to date a guy with a face like a polar bear... I used to call him 'poley' happy memories LOL

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Do they also think that covid is harmless and the vaccine is for depopulation to leave behind a controllable obedient population, despite the obvious flaw that if you were an evil elite and you wanted to select for obedience you'd make the virus really dangerous and the vaccine really effective?

Because it turns out that crank magnetism does that to people.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

crispix posted:

it saddens me that you don't see proper old grannies anymore who were so common when i was wee. it was like when a woman of that generation hit a certain age there was a rite of passage after which she went around in those little fleecey booties that zipped up the front and wore headscarves and trundled around a big tartan shopping trolley and also a gigantic handbag from which she could produce anything from sticking plasters to those screwdrivers with 3 different heads that looked a bit like a ninja-type throwing weapon to jump leads

also old men who shuffled about in suits and trainers

I mean I'm 44 and I've got one of these. Really handy for those big COVID shops tbqh.

(Buy one COVID get 2 free)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Do they also think that covid is harmless and the vaccine is for depopulation to leave behind a controllable obedient population, despite the obvious flaw that if you were an evil elite and you wanted to select for obedience you'd make the virus really dangerous and the vaccine really effective?

Because it turns out that crank magnetism does that to people.

Oh yes. They're heavily into Bill Gates is the source of all the world's evil, injecting us all with 5G so he can track our every movement and turn us into drones (not the flying kind), the elite want depopulation, and covid is just the flu because look how the flu figures last winter were right down on usual (hello - mask wearing, hand washing, social distancing, staying home ALSO mitigates against other flu / colds contagion).
And David Icke tells it like it really is....

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

feedmegin posted:

I mean I'm 44 and I've got one of these. Really handy for those big COVID shops tbqh.

I used to have one in my 30s - great for a trip to Sainsburys (10 mins walk away at the time), and for getting 60kg of stuff home including large bags of cat litter.
Lots of people in Walthamstow of all ages used to have them when I lived there.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
While I do find the various covid conspiracies re: Bill Gates/5G somewhat loony I'm finding myself increasingly low on goodwill when every day seems to bring a "new wave of covid" caused by a bunch of arseholes who think its appropriate to go on a foreign holiday just now

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

JollyBoyJohn posted:

While I do find the various covid conspiracies re: Bill Gates/5G somewhat loony I'm finding myself increasingly low on goodwill when every day seems to bring a "new wave of covid" caused by a bunch of arseholes who think its appropriate to go on a foreign holiday just now

Or indeed a football match.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-57667163

Football linked to 2,000 Scottish Covid cases

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Or indeed a football match.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-57667163

Football linked to 2,000 Scottish Covid cases

Yeah not a fan of that either but Sturgeon knows nationalism in Scotland wins votes

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

A lot of it is also down to that Douglas Adams quote about how anything invented after you're 35 is weird and un-natural. That's why 'we don't know the long term effects' is thrown around for everything; from vaccines, to kids using tablets, to 5g.

It seems inherently sus to older people, and I suspect it's tied into 'If it's so great then why didn't we, the greatest generation, invent it?'

E: And I say this as a 40 year old becoming rapidly terrified of the world.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I used to have one in my 30s - great for a trip to Sainsburys (10 mins walk away at the time), and for getting 60kg of stuff home including large bags of cat litter.
Lots of people in Walthamstow of all ages used to have them when I lived there.

Same here in South East London. One of my old flatmates is Vietnamese and he said that they're really common back home for everyone, so he had one here. Left it when he flew back, and it's absolutely amazing.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

And David Icke tells it like it really is....
Icke manages to be impressively wrong about absolutely everything, from classical civilizations to HIV being a lab hybrid of two other viruses to a guy who was arrested for abstracting electricity actually having invented a free energy machine that ran so fast that it flew off into the sky and that's why you can't see it, rather than the pair of wires behind the meter.

It's above and beyond even the Piers Corbyns of the world. There's only two conspiracy theories so stupid that even he rejects them, one being Flat Earth, and the other being
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgsRzTxzC0U

12 foot lizards posted:

The theory which seeks to justify growth as the way to remove suffering is called 'trickle down.' The belief is that if you allow the rich to exploit and become richer that will create the money at the top which will 'trickle down' in wages and services to provide income for those further down the economic scale. The same justification is applied to countries. If the rich get richer they will trade with the poor, and money will trickle down to them. The problem is that it doesn't work

Sometimes it's more interesting where the line of what these people don't believe is.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Jul 1, 2021

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Bobby Deluxe posted:

A lot of it is also down to that Douglas Adams quote about how anything invented after you're 35 is weird and un-natural. That's why 'we don't know the long term effects' is thrown around for everything; from vaccines, to kids using tablets, to 5g.

It seems inherently sus to older people, and I suspect it's tied into 'If it's so great then why didn't we, the greatest generation, invent it?'

E: And I say this as a 40 year old becoming rapidly terrified of the world.

I think it doesn’t help that there are a lot of valid concerns about big pharma especially but also the amount of screen time children have, etc that makes it easier for people to slip from “Hmm, I’m worried about how the pharma industry is using marketing campaigns to push expensive drugs which are molecularly identical to other cheaper generic versions” to “Pharma is a con and is selling us nonsense, I’m going to get some herbal remedies and homeopathic solutions”.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Communist Thoughts posted:

Well yea the gov isn't gonna teach kids that it's doomed them is it
Bywire claiming multiple teaching sources have confirmed this isn't curriculum.

https://twitter.com/bywirenews/status/1410531897827004417?s=19

Seems more like BBC bothsidesology again.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I can't believe people are doing things they are legally allowed to do? Just because you can withstand the misery of the last year without these leisure activities, doesn't mean other people can.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
no winter heating costs!!!! yaaaay gubmint can scrap the winter fuel allowance for pensioners and put the savings towards great strong britan yacht for majesty our boys queen :holy:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
A certain percentage of people will do things that they both are and are not legally allowed to do, the job of public health is to manage that in the most practical way possible.

When the people responsible for that appear to have stopped caring, a chunk of the public will too.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

feedmegin posted:

i hope you mutter to yourself about grocery prices and tsktsktsk when you see girls who are exposing too much skin and/or wearing skirts above the knee :mad:

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007

Forum bum
The GOV.UK Covid stats website now has an interactive map of vaccination rates, where you can zoom down to a ward level, in case you want to obsess over that: https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/interactive-map/vaccinations

I hope/assume the lower rates in cities are down to a lower average age meaning they're just lagging behind.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

It's because all the young people are too busy with their nintendos* to pokemon go to a hospital when they're infected!!!

* unable to get time off work

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

You can look at vaccination breakdown by age in smaller regions, and it's mostly that yea.

Also the put the "local" vaccination center in a industrial park miles out into the countryside, with buses that stop running while the centre is still open and take 45 minutes each way. Hard enough if you live in the centre, let alone need a bus/train to get to the right bus to begin with...

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Bywire claiming multiple teaching sources have confirmed this isn't curriculum.

https://twitter.com/bywirenews/status/1410531897827004417?s=19

Seems more like BBC bothsidesology again.

Rising sea levels means that housing prices will go up up up after thousands are made homeless and demand dramatically rises past supply.

Impossible to tell if this is good or bad

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Nothingtoseehere posted:

I can't believe people are doing things they are legally allowed to do? Just because you can withstand the misery of the last year without these leisure activities, doesn't mean other people can.

Fair point but is still very stupid to travel overseas just now

JollyBoyJohn fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Jul 1, 2021

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

Rising sea levels means that housing prices will go up up up after thousands are made homeless and demand dramatically rises past supply.

Impossible to tell if this is good or bad
Homeowners in coastal regions will simply sell their houses though!

Why is someone banging on my wall with an axe

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

keep punching joe posted:

It's funny until you realise that all UK population centres are in some way coastal, and nothing is being done to mitigate for sea level rises. Good job I can't afford to buy a house and don't have to worry about it going all atlantis on me.

Plus the top 1/3 of the landmass that is actually rising is fully owned by like 3 or 4 absolute psychopaths.

The Isle of Sheppey is busy falling into the sea. You can actively see it do it if you walk (carefully) along the shoreline near the cliffs

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Angrymog posted:

The Isle of Sheppey is busy falling into the sea. You can actively see it do it if you walk (carefully) along the shoreline near the cliffs

Sounds like they need to rebrans it as the Isle of Ship-pey and turn it into a floating island

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
For me, the worst thing about being kn my 40's is that I've utterly lost touch with the whole music scene and just don't know where to start to get back up to speed.

It's not like you can just watch Top of the Pops any more to get an idea of what the current top 20 is.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Pistol_Pete posted:

For me, the worst thing about being kn my 40's is that I've utterly lost touch with the whole music scene and just don't know where to start to get back up to speed.

It's not like you can just watch Top of the Pops any more to get an idea of what the current top 20 is.

BBC 6 is good for hearing good new music, I find

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Pistol_Pete posted:

You can check what's trending on the music section of YouTube. Or just Google your top 40

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Pistol_Pete posted:

I just look at end of year lists from places like Quietus for recs of new bands

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I'm getting my second does of AZ tomorrow. Feels like it's been a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I recall reading a book many years ago called “Turned Out Nice” which presented a vision of what post-climate change Britain would look like that largely comported with that Bitesize thing. Mediterranean climate, longer growing seasons, animals and plants will flourish.

Though the book didn’t shy away from mentioning pesky little downsides like “many of those plants and animals will be invasive pests and kill off our native wildlife”, and “several heavily populated river valleys and coastlines in England will become uninhabitable due to flooding” and “fresh clean water will need to be rationed” and “the largest refugee crisis in human history as billions are forced to flee the tropics”.