Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Reveilled posted:

I recall reading a book many years ago called “Turned Out Nice” which presented a vision of what post-climate change Britain would look like that largely comported with that Bitesize thing. Mediterranean climate, longer growing seasons, animals and plants will flourish.

Though the book didn’t shy away from mentioning pesky little downsides like “many of those plants and animals will be invasive pests and kill off our native wildlife”, and “several heavily populated river valleys and coastlines in England will become uninhabitable due to flooding” and “fresh clean water will need to be rationed” and “the largest refugee crisis in human history as billions are forced to flee the tropics”.

That's the thing about climate change - it doesn't matter if the particular square foot of land you're standing on isn't terribly affected, because there are billions of people who will be, and they have nukes.

It's like preppers storing up a mountain of cans for the apocalypse - you think Lord Humongous is going to let you keep any of it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Gort posted:

That's the thing about climate change - it doesn't matter if the particular square foot of land you're standing on isn't terribly affected, because there are billions of people who will be, and they have nukes.

It's like preppers storing up a mountain of cans for the apocalypse - you think Lord Humongous is going to let you keep any of it?

I mean, to be fair, we also have nukes. There are easier places to invade that wont get Beijing or New Delhi glassed, if it comes down to that.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

feedmegin posted:

I mean, to be fair, we also have nukes. There are easier places to invade that wont get Beijing or New Delhi glassed, if it comes down to that.

This is the UK.
All you have to offer is a few grand and a board place to a Tory and you can own half of London.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

learnincurve posted:

Sheffield, Birmingham and Manchester high five.
About that last one...

No frills, handy for the hills, that's the way you spell New Mills.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Guavanaut posted:

About that last one...

My fiancees parents live in Skelmersdale, but are originally from the Caribbean so they might be happy going back to a tropical island lifestyle.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Guavanaut posted:

About that last one...

The floods will surely sweep away the union bridge though, and the divide will deepen until New Mills proper will have to raid Newtown under cover of darkness for supplies of Swizzles confectionary.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
It's time for big John McD.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Guavanaut posted:

About that last one...

Looking forward to the Scouser invasion of Manchester

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
If anyone wants to play around with a post-apocalypse UK map, there's a good one here.

https://coastal.climatecentral.org/...model=kopp_2014

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
'Post'-climate change Britain? What, it's going to stop at some point? Will it just get bored and go away?

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Unkempt posted:

'Post'-climate change Britain? What, it's going to stop at some point? Will it just get bored and go away?

At some point there’ll be nobody left to burn fossil fuels

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Unkempt posted:

More likely to have post-Britain climate change tbh

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Guavanaut posted:

About that last one...

What's that, a 40m rise? Coz at that point even Sheffield is basically a seaside town. Southside of Glasgow is submerged along with Stirling, Paisley, Renfrew, half of Aberdeen & Dundee, 3/4s of Perth, & basically every settlement in the Highlands outside of the villages on the route of the A9 from Inverness to Perth. The Great Glen would just be the sea, cutting the western Highlands off from the rest of the UK. (Also sadly these projections don't account for flood defences outside the US. Coz it's saying this house will be under the sea by 2030 & nah, the flood defences here would mean a high tide increase of 1.5m in 9 years, don't see it.

Fortunately that's not in our lifetimes.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jul 1, 2021

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Hobo posted:

The GOV.UK Covid stats website now has an interactive map of vaccination rates, where you can zoom down to a ward level, in case you want to obsess over that: https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/interactive-map/vaccinations

I hope/assume the lower rates in cities are down to a lower average age meaning they're just lagging behind.

Yeah it's this, I posted about it a while back by Tower Hamlets has a median age of 30 (and even that is skewed because birth rates are fairly low - people just move here in their 20s) so didn't even start vaccinating almost half their population until a couple of weeks ago - most of inner London is in a similar state, hence the mass events at football stadiums the last couple of weeks.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

keep punching joe posted:

This is surely Corbyn's biggest failing as Leader, that the PLP left aren't able to scrape up 40 votes for a challenge. They should have purged every loving one of the melts after the second anti-Corbyn leadership challenge.
Fair, but it's worth remembering that under Corbyn the SCG acquired 19 new members. After the 2015 GE, it had 15 members; now, it has 34.

The PLP is in much better shape than it was before Corbyn. Membership probably is & all.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Cases/deaths curve update:

(let me know if that makes any sense if you have different color perception and I'll make a better one)

If you look closely you can see the point where Johnson hosed it during the winter.

Obviously cases are highly dependent on how much testing you're doing, 'gently caress all' in the first wave there, and more than double the tests in this third wave to the roughly equivalent point in October, but still at the point where we should be seeing more than double the number deaths that we are.

Which is positive news by current standards :toot:

forkboy84 posted:

What's that, a 40m rise?
Yeah that's the end of the century 'we hosed it' 40-50m scenario, but there's not much of a window that sees Liverpool underwater that doesn't take out Manchester west of Deansgate too.

Those maps also provide an average sea level, and I don't know what would happen to the Mersey in a 5m sea rise scenario but it has one of the largest tidal variations in the UK at present, so there's room for a wide range of "yeah Manchester's fine except for when the Irwell backfloods half the city" sea level rises in the interim.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Losing the Gulf Stream is like letting go of a hosepipe that has been turned on full blast; it's spraying like hell but there will be zero predictability as to where the water goes and for how long.

If it goes it will take a long time for it to settle into a new stable state with absolutely no guarantee of any benefit to humanity... good luck farming in that event.

'It will be Biblical' seems like a decent definition of the outcome.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Gort posted:

Of the nations most likely to be hosed over by climate change, only India and Pakistan have nukes and no real way of delivering them beyond the Himalayas. Besides nukes are pretty useless in a climate war because sprinkling strontium-90 over the newly-viable agricultural land of Siberia and northern Canada is kinda counterproductive.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Just Another Lurker posted:

Julie Burchill will have terrible opinions about it? Checks out.

e: ^^^ :china:

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

If anyone wants to play around with a post-apocalypse UK map, there's a good one here.

https://coastal.climatecentral.org/...model=kopp_2014
This is their projection for 2030: :psyduck:

I'm sceptical, but it's fair to say people are likely to start taking this poo poo seriously if entire cities all across Northern Europe are underwater.

Shame it's probably too late by then.

e: wait their criteria for red is "below water level", so their 2020 projection for the Netherlands would already be looking pretty bad :shrug:

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jul 1, 2021

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Even a 5m sea level rise by the end of the century is streching the bounds of plausibility- that's an utter worse case "half of the land ice in Antarctica drops into the sea" scenario. 40m rise is just a doom fantasy and slamming the bar as high as possible for lolz.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Borrovan posted:

I'm sceptical, but it's fair to say people are likely to start taking this poo poo seriously if entire cities all across Northern Europe are underwater.

Yea, it's a stupid map by an American company who did a model using ok data for the US then decided they'd use poo poo quality data and simulate the entire world, ignoring all flood defences and local land features. However, it's online and has a pretty UI so it gets shared around alot.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Fens are back baby, boat's are cool again glugluglg *Buried Moon sounds*

And Ely gets to be an island again, which is nice for them.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Nothingtoseehere posted:

40m rise is just a doom fantasy and slamming the bar as high as possible for lolz
Honestly wish people wouldn't keep doing that, the actual realistic values are still incredibly bad, I know people mean well & think a worst case scenario is more emphatic but jfc every time a prediction doesn't come true it completely undermines the whole case

e: not that people would listen to the realistic values either, it just pisses me off seeing smug boomers go on about how none of the older predictions happened*

*iirc technically the global temperature ones were also wrong, because they were far exceeded

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jul 1, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Serious note though, turning the Fens back into wetlands would sequester a lot of carbon over a long term. You could do more than a thousand high tech carbon capture projects just by reversing the drainage. That might annoy some landowners though, and allow the Bargees back.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Guavanaut posted:

Serious note though, turning the Fens back into wetlands would sequester a lot of carbon over a long term. You could do more than a thousand high tech carbon capture projects just by reversing the drainage. That might annoy some landowners though, and allow the Bargees back.

Time for the true future: The Coracle Future.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Guavanaut posted:

That might annoy some landowners though

Sequester their carbon too

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Just Another Lurker posted:

Losing the Gulf Stream is like letting go of a hosepipe that has been turned on full blast; it's spraying like hell but there will be zero predictability as to where the water goes and for how long.

If it goes it will take a long time for it to settle into a new stable state with absolutely no guarantee of any benefit to humanity... good luck farming in that event.

The Gulf Stream is the only thing keeping the UK from getting 10 foot snow winters like New York gets.
Its going to be biblical as most housing is not designed for extremes of ridiculously bad winters, and dropping dead heat summers.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/georgeeaton/status/1410580765637763074

This is surely Corbyn's biggest failing as Leader, that the PLP left aren't able to scrape up 40 votes for a challenge. They should have purged every loving one of the melts after the second anti-Corbyn leadership challenge.

This is the SCG, not the PLP. This is just saying that there aren't 40 votes for a challenge from left candidate, which we already knew. Someone on the soft left, like Angela Reyner or Dawn Butler, may be able to pull it off.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

xtothez posted:

Sequester their carbon too
My patented new carbon capture technique consists of a big cage with a trail of blue chip share certificates leading into it

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Yea, it's a stupid map by an American company who did a model using ok data for the US then decided they'd use poo poo quality data and simulate the entire world, ignoring all flood defences and local land features. However, it's online and has a pretty UI so it gets shared around alot.

Good, I can stop having a heart attack now. Is there a more realistic / well researched alternative please?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Borrovan posted:

I'm really not sure how they're plotting this because they've got Elephant and Castle - 5 metres above the London Bridge datum (average high tide actually measured at the PLA building at Tower Pier rather than London Bridge) underwater but Shad Thames, literally below the high tide mark, as being fine.

Similarly they've got Poplar Gut - the lowest-laying part of the Isle of Dogs, and where the Thames Path floods if the wind is coming from the right direction - as high and dry, but Mudchute and Chapel House, both a good solid 6 metres above the rest of the Island, as flooded.

I *think* they've a) chosen to ignore all existing flood defences, b) used an extremely naive flood-risk algorithm, and c) used an extremely incomplete elevation map. a) and c) are sort of understandable as very hard to model for this sort of site but b) is really unforgiveable because they're (presumably deliberately) conflating century-level floods and general sea-level rise, and that's not how things work even with a tidal river like the Thames, especially not when flood defences are already built around those century-level events. It would actually be a lot more honest to just have a "if sea levels rise <x>, <y> will now be underwater".

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
I know the WI and inclusivity was mentioned in the thread a few days ago. This just popped up on twitter:

https://inews.co.uk/news/uk/petra-wenham-makes-history-first-transgender-woman-wi-magazine-cover-1079374

Good on 'em.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Time for the true future: The Coracle Future.
I knew Irving Finkel would save us all one day.

Sloth Life posted:

Good, I can stop having a heart attack now. Is there a more realistic / well researched alternative please?
The more realistic is that sea level rise isn't even the big worry at any point in our lifetime, it's extreme weather events. It makes very little difference if half of Manchester is underwater from the sea rising or the river flooding unless you're a tropical fish and require a certain salinity. Floods are getting more severe around the river here and they keep building over all the drainage land. Most climate refugees will be driven by crop failure.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Sloth Life posted:

Here's a good article about sea level rise from carbon brief, that goes into where it comes from, the current estimates (50cm by 2100 if we get our poo poo together, 80cm if we don't), and some of the studies suggesting higher worse case scenarios than that (more around the 1.5m-2m) mark.

As to what those numbers mean for the UK, I don't know any good sources off the top of my head. As above posts show, it's a complicated thing that depends alot on what the government does. (If the thames barrier hadn't been build, London probably would be flooding regularly. But we did build it, so it doesn't). But it's still not good, but maybe your fears can be a little more grounded in reality now.

Edit: sea level rise is a very long term consequence of climate change, because it takes a long time to change something on the scale of the oceans. Greater flooding, heatwaves, and mean temperature changes are the biggest problem, and those mostly really pick up at the 2-3 warming level globally. This is why the UK is alot better off than some places - Pakistan and India are facing the consequences now, and in 30 years a large chunk of east Africa won't be able to grow potatos without irrigation systems they can't afford.

Nothingtoseehere fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jul 1, 2021

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Guavanaut posted:

About that last one...

On the one hand my commute will involve a bathysphere, but <BBC bitesize voice> on the other hand my pendlebury beach hut will have an ocean view.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
This is what you're actually going to notice over the next few decades, well before Stockport-on-sea.

It doesn't go on a shocking map on a newspaper front page as well though.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Having seen that graph I think I might go grab a beer or two.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Here's a nice article on how we can offset carbon emissions and fight flooding and extreme weather at the same time, just so it's not all doomposting.

Rewilding wetlands is good and cool and people should push for more of that regardless of what climate change is doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Thanks all! There is a National Trust climate map I saw but I assume it's as imaginary as the other map already quoted.