Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
They’re so used to blowing up innocent kids’ belongings that it never occurred to them that their demolition chamber wasn’t a magical “contain explosion” vessel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

The Lone Badger posted:

Please note that the cars stopped after the ford are permanently destroyed. Hydrolocking causes irreparable damage.

Behold, induced hydrolock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOyoFhppKB8&t=501s

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Invalid Validation posted:

Why wouldn’t they take it to an empty lot?

Because they don't care if poor people live or die, OP.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Invalid Validation posted:

Why wouldn’t they take it to an empty lot?

Like the large one right next to the truck you can at the 8 second mark in the video? Seems like a lot of trouble just to not terrorise poor people if you ask me.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Be alert, LA! Some nefarious group might do something dangerous with explosives!

https://twitter.com/anblanx/status/1410449042463547400

https://twitter.com/ronsilverado/status/1410449429514002432

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
https://twitter.com/JessicaOhTV/status/1410430115306086404

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
https://i.imgur.com/iBMQEHA.mp4

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Powershift posted:

There's a channel where a guy sits at the Rufford Ford in North Nottinghamshire and films people destroying their cars trying to cross water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Tzdwdso5YM

It's awesome

I'm generally supportive of car drivers eating poo poo, but I do wonder why there's a street going through a ford that's clearly unsafe to drive through.

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

It looks like most of the time it isn't very deep, he has a lot of other video compilations of people going through fords and they aren't very exciting, it doesn't even come above the bottom bumper.

Edit: That said, you think the least they could do is put some kind of depth gauge out in the middle to warn people if it's going to be uncommonly deep.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Strabo4 posted:

It looks like most of the time it isn't very deep, he has a lot of other video compilations of people going through fords and they aren't very exciting, it doesn't even come above the bottom bumper.

Edit: That said, you think the least they could do is put some kind of depth gauge out in the middle to warn people if it's going to be uncommonly deep.

There is a depth gauge, right in the middle. It's alongside the bridge most of the clips are filmed from, so you can't see it. The one about 40secs in shows it. It's even coloured in reflective hi-vis material.

I've driven through Rufford ford several times, but always in summer, when the water barely covers the bottom of the tyres. The problem is that the river swells significantly in winter or after a brief spell of intense rain.

It's still no excuse for these people not clocking the significance of the river taking up three times the road space it usually does, not seeing the gauge and (I suspect the crux of the issue) just unthinkingly following their satnav. Plus modern cars don't have much ground clearance, often have air intakes right behind the grille and have engine bays packed with electronics that don't appreciate a dunking.

There are quite a lot of fords around the UK, but the vast majority are always easily passable in any conditions because the ones that aren't were bypassed or bridged years ago. I imagine a lot of people (consciously or not) think "If there's a road here/my GPS tells me to go here then it must be OK to drive".

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.

Jet Jaguar posted:

Be alert, LA! Some nefarious group might do something dangerous with explosives!

https://twitter.com/anblanx/status/1410449042463547400

What the gently caress is a city wide tactical alert? Sounds like something that will result in police going on a rampage.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

The Real Amethyst posted:

What the gently caress is a city wide tactical alert? Sounds like something that will result in police going on a rampage.

It means you stand ready with your weapon at the corner of a building or behind a jersey barrier, and if any enemies cross in front of you, you get an extra attack of opportunity on them.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Maybe something like all on-call duty officers are told to report at station, or some other way of increasing readiness?

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

Its a warning to the people living in the city that there's a terrorist group going around blowing up trucks and cars in residential areas.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Oh lol, so there's video of unprotected cops just walking around the pallets of fireworks that were too dangerous to be moved

Pretty sure cop logic is this: this person had an illegal warehouse of fireworks, we should blow his house up to teach him a lesson, and they did just that.

Also someone pointed out they didn't move them because it was in the middle of LA...about that:

They could have moved that poo poo to the beach and blown it up easy, few blocks away.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
The real OSHA is that green mouse cursor what the gently caress

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Alcohol, not water. Cool trick and I'm going to try it next time I cook with alcohol.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Antigravitas posted:

The real OSHA is that green mouse cursor what the gently caress

high contrasts is always OSHA approved

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

LifeSunDeath posted:

Oh lol, so there's video of unprotected cops just walking around the pallets of fireworks that were too dangerous to be moved

Pretty sure cop logic is this: this person had an illegal warehouse of fireworks, we should blow his house up to teach him a lesson, and they did just that.

Also someone pointed out they didn't move them because it was in the middle of LA...about that:

They could have moved that poo poo to the beach and blown it up easy, few blocks away.
They could've even used it to blow up any beached whales

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

LifeSunDeath posted:

high contrasts is always OSHA approved

My work laptop has a 2256 x 1504 pixel screen that's only 13.5 inches across, if I didn't use a bright green cursor I'd never be able to find the loving thing.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Windows 10 lets you scale the cursor all the way to "silly huge" now, which is also nice.

I use the inverted color cursor, and not just because it weirds out my bf when he uses it.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Did they DISPOSE OF IT?
YUP THEY DID, MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Well once you remove the Heavier Fluid, all that's left is Lighter Fluid :v:

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

LifeSunDeath posted:

That area is an old part of the city. Densely populated, narrow roads that always have traffic, very hilly and the roads are pot hole ridden. Carrillo beach would be only spot cause South is all cliffs and east is Los Angeles harbor, where they don’t really like things exploding. Not defending the cops at all just saying gently caress driving around down there normally.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

a sexual elk posted:

That area is an old part of the city. Densely populated, narrow roads that always have traffic, very hilly and the roads are pot hole ridden. Carrillo beach would be only spot cause South is all cliffs and east is Los Angeles harbor, where they don’t really like things exploding. Not defending the cops at all just saying gently caress driving around down there normally.

Or just let a man sell his pallets of illegal pyrotechnics in peace. Like did we all collectively forget the reason the pilgrims flew to LA in the first place?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

a sexual elk posted:

I can't imagine this being much of an issue with a police motorcade. I don't think this would be intentional since 10 cops got injured. Just really dumb.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

a sexual elk posted:

These neatly packaged and palleted fireworks aren't gonna explode going over a pothole

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
the only organisation that could have done a worse job than the cops is this thread

e: the schadenfreude thread, then this thread, then those cops, then the farmer from Hot Fuzz

Splicer fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jul 1, 2021

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
It wasn't just palletized fireworks.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2021-07-01/terror-panic-lapd-explosion-hits-neighborhood

There were a bunch of homemade bombs, that's what they loaded into the truck, and that's what they detonated and blew the neighborhood the gently caress up with.

They injured a BATF guy, too. Bonus.

This says it was only 10 pounds of material loaded into the truck:

https://ktla.com/news/local-news/17-including-10-officers-injured-in-detonation-of-illegal-fireworks-seized-in-south-l-a/

So maybe the root cause was buying their explosive containment truck at Harbor Freight.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Phanatic posted:

So maybe the root cause was buying their explosive containment truck at Harbor Freight.

Donnie's Discount Concrete Trucks.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
For all that the damage was comparatively minor. If they really wanted to blow up a neighborhood they should bring the Philly PD in to consult.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008

LifeSunDeath posted:

Nah, it's not at 27th St in San Pedro, it's at 27th St AND San Pedro, which is in South LA and nowhere near water. The closest vacant lot to the right is a school (which would've been much safer than a loving RESIDENTIAL STREET)

Regardless ACAB (at safety)

Megera fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jul 1, 2021

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
It's that time of week again.

Bonus:

Yes, he's digging underneath his shed. In an unshored hole. Alone. At night.

Also, there's a huge 'crack' at the bottom of the hole, so he may well be digging into a cave.

At this point, I can only assume either the authorities don't have the internet, or Colin Furze is a secret mastermind who has totally hidden where he lives.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jul 1, 2021

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
If you like Colin, check out paleas' digging

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c?Paleas?videos

He occasionally reinforces, but nothing about it seems safe

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

Megillah Gorilla posted:

It's that time of week again.

Bonus:

Yes, he's digging underneath his shed. In an unshored hole. Alone. At night.

Also, there's a huge 'crack' at the bottom of the hole, so he may well be digging into a cave.

At this point, I can only assume either the authorities don't have the internet, or Colin Furze is a secret mastermind who has totally hidden where he lives.

It likely something tamer that a cave, like a 4' pressurized sanitary sewer line. We'll know for sure once he gets in...

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Harry_Potato posted:

It likely something tamer that a cave, like a 4' pressurized sanitary sewer line. We'll know for sure once he gets in...

I worked on a project that built a bridge next to a 108" diameter pressurized sanitary line. Yes, 9-foot diameter.

The plans for construction of that sanitary line showed that if operating as designed, the hydraulic gradient of the poo poo slurry would be about 50 feet up the air. There is a LOT of force involved in pushing poo poo uphill.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

You know when your cat is messing with something on a counter, knocks it off, and then the thing makes a loud noise when it hits the ground and your cat freaks the gently caress out and sprints off? That.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
We're at the start of what's predicted to be the worst wildfire season in California history, and the kinds of fireworks that are illegal in CA are illegal for that reason. Definitely do not let people just people sell illegal fireworks. Ideally we'd have zero fireworks of any kind this year, but banning the little ones we're used to would just get people running off into remote - and highly flammable - areas to set off the fireworks everyone seems to store year-round here, so the lesser of two evils is probably permitting the use of our regular fireworks while aggressively removing the big ones that aren't supposed to be here.

The trick, of course, is to ensure that they are disposed of in the Mythbusters quarry or something, as opposed to the middle of a loving residential area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Computer viking posted:

Windows 10 lets you scale the cursor all the way to "silly huge" now, which is also nice.

I use the inverted color cursor, and not just because it weirds out my bf when he uses it.

inverted life :hfive: i've been using it for like 20 years now