Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ugh whatever jeez posted:

I don't really like f/4 lenses on m4/3 system but that seems like a really sweet lens.

A buddy of mine does a ton of hiking in the rockies and takes wide landscapes with that hi-res shooting mode on his EM1mk2 and I feel like he is going to absolutely love this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

It’s a cool range, even if you’re not going to be able to take any subject-isolated portraits at the 50mm equivalent end of the zoom range… or even any slightly-subject-isolated environmental shots at the 35mm equivalent.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
How's the new Fuji XF 27mm pancake lens? Much better than the previous version?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I like mine. Said several weeks to ship but arrived in just a couple days. Tack sharp. The focus is amazing, but the focus motor is noisier than the f/4 zoom kit lens that came with my X camera.

Pancake form factor is amazing, camera comes on many more adventures than it did before

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Lily Catts posted:

How's the new Fuji XF 27mm pancake lens? Much better than the previous version?

apparently the optical design is identical, so the changes are weather resistance (when mounted on a WR body) and the aperture dial being integrated into the lens itself, so from a handling standpoint. I still have the V1 and like the field of view, the quality, the size of the lens, but yeah sometimes I put on the 16 f/2.8 or 35 f/2 I have instead because there's something just right about using the aperture rings with the Fuji bodies. Once I can justify selling the old one and getting new I'll probably make that upgrade.

23 Skidoo
Dec 21, 2006
Curious for my wallet if there's a point from upgrading from the 75-300mm to the 100-400mm Olympus lenses? I use it primarily for animals and birds.

The extra 200mm equivalency would be nice, and I would like to pick up the TC 2 for some moon shots.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I'm a complete sucker for retro looking crap and boy did nikon have me in mind with the Z FC

https://www.dpreview.com/news/4256384008/nikon-announces-z-fc-style-focused-aps-c-mirrorless-camera

Biggest issue I suppose is why get this over a fuji when Nikon have a history of half arsing their APS-C camera support.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Jun 29, 2021

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Lol it’s literally the same design as an FE with the same control layout as a Fuji X-T.

I’ll reserve all other judgement about the camera (save for the lack of a black finish, which is lame), but what manifestly does not look good is that 28/2.8 lens. It’s like some kind of weird toy, which is too bad because that’s a decent focal length and aperture combo for a pancake prime.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Mega Comrade posted:

I'm a complete sucker for retro looking crap and boy did nikon have me in mind with the Z FC

https://www.dpreview.com/news/4256384008/nikon-announces-z-fc-style-focused-aps-c-mirrorless-camera

Biggest issue I suppose is why get this over a fuji when Nikon have a history of half arsing their APS-C camera support.

If they had released it a month ago I might’ve bought it instead of a fuji but oh well too late. Who am I kidding I might get one anyway.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Why didn't they put an aperture ring on that 28mm? I guess if this is successful and they make a slightly larger version with the Z6 sensor that would be :krad: but the Fuji lens situation is so much better.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
Having a camera line with only two kit lenses makes a lot more sense when you consider that a huge number of camera sales are to people buying kits and never purchasing another lens. A smaller subset of that are the people making that decision based on the aesthetics, and there probably is some market share to be had in japan with olympus on shaky ground.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

23 Skidoo posted:

Curious for my wallet if there's a point from upgrading from the 75-300mm to the 100-400mm Olympus lenses? I use it primarily for animals and birds.

The extra 200mm equivalency would be nice, and I would like to pick up the TC 2 for some moon shots.

I've heard the 100-400 is pretty great but you're going to lose a whoooollle lot of light with the 2x TC

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Get the 150-400 f/4.5 you cheapskates! Don't you care about photography?!!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Pablo Bluth posted:

Get the 150-400 f/4.5 you cheapskates! Don't you care about photography?!!

IM SAVIN UP GAT DAMMIT

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

Just received the Sony 200-600mm - it seems to be pretty good so far, but I haven't had a chance to really use it yet.

And holy poo poo it's nice to finally have an optically stabilized tele. Shame about the light grey/white finish, though.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Fools Infinite posted:

Having a camera line with only two kit lenses makes a lot more sense when you consider that a huge number of camera sales are to people buying kits and never purchasing another lens. A smaller subset of that are the people making that decision based on the aesthetics, and there probably is some market share to be had in japan with olympus on shaky ground.

it's a Z-mount camera, it's just that there's only two dedicated APS-C lenses at the moment before the 28 launching with this thing.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
The 28mm is also full frame. My point was they aren't developing a full range of apsc lenses to compete with other established crop systems because they don't need to. They are trying to attract a different group of buyers than those that care how fully developed the Fuji range is.

They should have released a styled z5 and 28mm too. More compact, slower primes (but still good optically) and entry level full frame have a lot of those apsc advantages.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Mega Comrade posted:

I will get one of this sucker to sit nect to my black FM2n! Will probably sell one of my Fuji body lol!

I need a wider pancake lens though. If it's just 28mm I can use my AIS 28mm and go full hipster.

23 Skidoo
Dec 21, 2006
Decided to get the 40-150mm pro 2.8 and will get the MC-20 teleconverter in a bit.

Actually bought the 40-150mm pro bundled with the 1.4tc but they said it was out of stock after three days of patiently waiting, so now I'm just getting the lens on its own.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

23 Skidoo posted:

Decided to get the 40-150mm pro 2.8 and will get the MC-20 teleconverter in a bit.

Actually bought the 40-150mm pro bundled with the 1.4tc but they said it was out of stock after three days of patiently waiting, so now I'm just getting the lens on its own.

It’s a fabulous lens and you’ll love it

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord

23 Skidoo posted:

My 45mm 1.2 has been unused since I bought 40-150. Although to be fair I haven't done any indoor events lately! Crazy IMO that with 1.4 TC I get 420mm f/4 lens that small.

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010
I stalk various marketplaces and took a chance on a sub $500 A7R with kit lens in a pretty rough looking condition. Turns out it was a drat fine deal - the camera looks like poo poo but is functionally flawless. Even knowing that the original A7R had all kinds of lag and compromises, it turns out gorgeous images:

DSC05318 by Kaleem Rorke, on Flickr

DSC05306 by Kaleem Rorke, on Flickr

Money very well spent, I love the thing already.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ugh whatever jeez posted:

Crazy IMO that with 1.4 TC I get 420mm f/4 lens that small.

that combination is my go-to for travel and it's been absolutely perfect for it.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Well...cool. I ordered a fuji 35/2 from amazon warehouse. It shipped, they declared it undeliverable, refunded me the money...then the lens arrived.
Its been like a week now so I guess they just gifted me a new lens! Hooray! Not sure if I need any more lenses for a while since I have the Viltrox 23/1.4 and now this 35/2. I guess I could look for a UWA for vacations...

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Dia de Pikachutos posted:

Just received the Sony 200-600mm - it seems to be pretty good so far, but I haven't had a chance to really use it yet.

And holy poo poo it's nice to finally have an optically stabilized tele. Shame about the light grey/white finish, though.

I'm jealous. Was planning on purchasing it this year, but looks like it'll have to wait until 2022. Post some pics when you get a chance!

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

sildargod posted:

I stalk various marketplaces and took a chance on a sub $500 A7R with kit lens in a pretty rough looking condition. Turns out it was a drat fine deal - the camera looks like poo poo but is functionally flawless. Even knowing that the original A7R had all kinds of lag and compromises, it turns out gorgeous images:

DSC05318 by Kaleem Rorke, on Flickr

DSC05306 by Kaleem Rorke, on Flickr

Money very well spent, I love the thing already.

Nice. I’ve been thinking about this ever since my D810 stopped focusing consistently through the VF. The 7R may not be any faster, but it also has that key point of failure omitted, while accepting a wider variety of lenses and having the same resolution and dynamic range. I worry about shutter shock though; the EFCS mode on the D810 is pretty good.

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Nice. I’ve been thinking about this ever since my D810 stopped focusing consistently through the VF. The 7R may not be any faster, but it also has that key point of failure omitted, while accepting a wider variety of lenses and having the same resolution and dynamic range. I worry about shutter shock though; the EFCS mode on the D810 is pretty good.

The shutter shock issue is definitely not overstated, it's absolutely there. It's also made harder by the lack of anything really substantial to grip onto on the body.

That being said, it's WAY cheaper than a D810, even used and the fact that you can adapt a ton of lenses to it makes it a whole lot more versatile. It's also fantastically compact when paired with a 50/1.8 - I remember lugging my D800 with a 50/1.8 around Thailand and this isn't even in the same league.

It's not a fast camera by any means, but it's also plenty responsive in it's own right. AF catches things I genuinely wouldn't have expected, and if you put in a reasonably fast SD Card, it writes okay. The biggest pain is changing AF points which is clunkier than my old X-Pro1 even, though it does a reasonable attempt at subject tracking in AF-C (Nothing like the A7Rii or iii though.)

It has two thumbs way up for me, it's a cheap way to get that fantastic sensor.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I have an X-H1, a fringer NF-FX, some Nikon lenses, but no fuji lenses. I’ve noticed the AF performance is much better when the shutter is set to auto (seems like having aperture set to auto helps too). Is that the case with Fuji lenses too? Seems weird.

Dren fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jul 5, 2021

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Dren posted:

I have an X-H1, a fringer NF-FX, some Nikon lenses, but no fuji lenses. I’ve noticed the AF performance is much better when the shutter is set to auto (seems like having aperture set to auto helps too). Is that the case with Fuji lenses too? Seems weird.

You've probably already done this, but if you search for 'Fringer NF-FX autofocus slow' you'll see that's a common complaint. Is it possible you're using it with "unsupported" lenses? Here's a thread talking about similar issues: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4561686. I don' think you'll find AF is slow with any of the Fuji lenses, especially the more recent ones.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
The lenses I’ve been using are on the supported list. When I use them in program auto mode they work very well. If I choose either the shutter or aperture they get worse but are still usable. I have one lens that’s not on the compatibility list and AF with it is essentially unusable. I was wondering if fuji native lenses AF better in full auto than with a shutter speed or aperture selected.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I don’t think there will be any difference in AF speed when using a native Fuji lens whether it’s in auto shutter speed, auto aperture or full auto. I’m guessing this is fully on using adapted lenses.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
So my old Nikon D3200 is starting to die.

Ergo, I went out and bought myself a Fuji XE-4 because it does lots of good things and takes great photos and I think it's really pretty and I wanted it. I've mucked around with it for an hour or two and I love taking photos with it and I like the end results.

I got it with the Fuji 18-55mm Lens. What a great lens it seems to be!

Anyways, I'm not a photography expert. I know what I want from shutter speed\aperture settings and that's about it. Are there any cool things I should know about Fuji cameras that aren't immediately obvious to people who aren't camera nerds?

Cosmic Web
Jan 11, 2005

"Stand and deliver, that my hamster might have a better look at you!"
Fun Shoe

H13 posted:

So my old Nikon D3200 is starting to die.

Ergo, I went out and bought myself a Fuji XE-4 because it does lots of good things and takes great photos and I think it's really pretty and I wanted it. I've mucked around with it for an hour or two and I love taking photos with it and I like the end results.

I got it with the Fuji 18-55mm Lens. What a great lens it seems to be!

Anyways, I'm not a photography expert. I know what I want from shutter speed\aperture settings and that's about it. Are there any cool things I should know about Fuji cameras that aren't immediately obvious to people who aren't camera nerds?

Film simulation recipes are pretty neat: https://fujixweekly.com/fujifilm-x-trans-iv-recipes/

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
Auto iso that lets you set a minimum shutter speed is pretty handy.

Dr Strangepants
Nov 26, 2003

Mein Führer! I can dance!
Does anyone have strong opinions on the Fujifilm X-S10? I'm looking for a good general use camera for landscapes, portraits, and taking neat photos as I frequently travel around. I was originally going with the Fujifilm X-T30 but the in-camera image stabilization on the S10 seems nice and it also seems a little more modern and easier to use for an amateur. They are both similar in price.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I strongly considered the X-S10 this spring, the main dealbreaker for me as a travel camera was the lack of weather sealing. I also don't like PASM shooting modes compared to dedicated dials but that's definitely a niche opinion and I bet I could get used to it.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Dren posted:

The lenses I’ve been using are on the supported list. When I use them in program auto mode they work very well. If I choose either the shutter or aperture they get worse but are still usable. I have one lens that’s not on the compatibility list and AF with it is essentially unusable. I was wondering if fuji native lenses AF better in full auto than with a shutter speed or aperture selected.

I don't think AF performance on Fuji lenses is affected by being in full auto or anything, that'd be such a dealbreaker for people that you'd never hear the end of it. That's got to be some weird glitch with the adapter you've got.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I was thinking selling my XE2s and XT1 and get a XT3. Does Fuji's make a small body that has the same video blogging performance of the XT3? Hasn't read any mirrorless news in a while.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

Fools Infinite posted:

Auto iso that lets you set a minimum shutter speed is pretty handy.

Indeed, but I wish you could set a speed higher than 500!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

stephenthinkpad posted:

I was thinking selling my XE2s and XT1 and get a XT3. Does Fuji's make a small body that has the same video blogging performance of the XT3? Hasn't read any mirrorless news in a while.

The X-T30 and other smaller cameras from the X-T3/T4 sensor generation had the same video quality as the T3 save for two things: no 4K60 and shorter recording times. Then the X-S10 came along with longer recording times and IBIS. It’s the smaller Fuji to beat for video. Arguably better than the T3 if you like to shoot video handheld.